I Should have Bought a Mavic Pro Instead of P4P+!!!
1960 31 2017-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dronestarvision
lvl.1
United States

When I bought the DJI Phantom 4 Pro + with built in screen I thought I was getting the best of the best. My overall experience with flying this drone is amazing! Most of the modes work fine, but need to be refined. Selfie mode is a Joke! The built in screen is super clear no matter how bright the sun is, but sucks that it is a controlled and locked down android device. If it was just these little things I would be OK with my decision to buy the P4P+ vs the Mavic Pro or any other drone.
I have had constant range issues with it, and more since the latest firmware update. Facebook live or any live streaming period does not work. There is nothing more frustrating than seeing your buddies live streaming with their Mavic Pro and you paid almost double what they paid for your drone but you can't live stream.
I even broke down and paid for the extra remote with out the built in screen. It goes live now, but very choppy! I wouldn't be so frustrated, if DJI would actually show that they are doing stuff to fix these issues with the P4P+.

2017-7-19
Use props
PimpDawg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

I am shopping for a Phantom 4A and trying to decide if I should get the + with the screen on the controller. Is it not worth the extra $300? Thanks.
2017-7-19
Use props
dronestarvision
lvl.1
United States

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-7-19 06:31
I am shopping for a Phantom 4A and trying to decide if I should get the + with the screen on the controller. Is it not worth the extra $300? Thanks.

I have flown the P4P with both the built in screen and without the built in screen. Overall flying is much better with the built in screen. It is a lot clearer and responsive. If you want to use 3rd party apps than I would suggest not spending the extra $300.
2017-7-19
Use props
PimpDawg
lvl.4
United States

dronestarvision Posted at 2017-7-19 06:40
I have flown the P4P with both the built in screen and without the built in screen. Overall flying is much better with the built in screen. It is a lot clearer and responsive. If you want to use 3rd party apps than I would suggest not spending the extra $300.

Thanks. How does it update the maps used in the app though since it is not a mobile device with cell service? On that same note, how would live streaming work without internet connection (is it even an option)? For me the biggest advantage is the screen brightness.
2017-7-19
Use props
dronestarvision
lvl.1
United States

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-7-19 06:56
Thanks. How does it update the maps used in the app though since it is not a mobile device with cell service? On that same note, how would live streaming work without internet connection (is it even an option)? For me the biggest advantage is the screen brightness.

Did you read my full post? I talk about live streaming there. The only option you have is WiFi, by using your phone as a mobile hotspot or have another mobile hotspot device that you can connect to while flying.
2017-7-19
Use props
PimpDawg
lvl.4
United States

dronestarvision Posted at 2017-7-19 07:09
Did you read my full post? I talk about live streaming there. The only option you have is WiFi, by using your phone as a mobile hotspot or have another mobile hotspot device that you can connect to while flying.

Yeah I saw that. Wasn't sure if you meant on the other controller you bought or the one with the screen. Seems like using hotspot on your phone might interfere with signal from controller to aircraft. Thanks.
2017-7-19
Use props
dronestarvision
lvl.1
United States

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-7-19 07:29
Yeah I saw that. Wasn't sure if you meant on the other controller you bought or the one with the screen. Seems like using hotspot on your phone might interfere with signal from controller to aircraft. Thanks.

You can set the image transmission to 5.8Ghz instead of the 2.4Ghz and the interference goes away. Either way live streaming still doesn't work real well with either remotes. It halfway works with the remote without the built in screen and just doesn't work with the built in screen remote.
2017-7-19
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I have just taken the plunge and updated to the latest firmware, and I wish I had not the video feed sucks now very bad video signal loss within 500 mtrs range really depressed now!!!!!!
2017-7-19
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woodwanger Posted at 2017-7-19 09:03
I have just taken the plunge and updated to the latest firmware, and I wish I had not the video feed sucks now very bad video signal loss within 500 mtrs range really depressed now!!!!!!

You have updated controller as well ?

Phantom 4 Pro/Pro+ Release Notes
http://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro
Copyright © 2017 DJI All Rights Reserved.                      1

Date : 2017.06.08 Aircraft Firmware : V 01.04.0602 Phantom 4 Pro Remote Controller Firmware : V 1.4.1.0 Phantom 4 Pro+ Remote Controller Firmware : V 1.2.0.0 DJI GO 4 App iOS : V 4.1.0 DJI GO 4 App Android : V 4.1.0

What’s New?
 Updated No-Fly Zone Management.
 Optimized No-Fly Zone Return to Home.
 For increased safety, the flight is restricted to a height of 30 m and distance of 50 m when not connected or logged into the app during flight, including DJI GO 4 and all apps compatible with DJI aircraft.
 Optimized gimbal performance to improve its stability during flight.

Notes:
 If you are updating via DJI GO 4, make sure you update the aircraft but only after restarting the updated remote controller. Otherwise, there will be an error in the progress bar of the aircraft update.
 Make sure you restart both the aircraft and remote controller after updating them to the latest firmware. Otherwise, video downlink may be unstable. Re-link the aircraft with the remote controller if they are disconnected.
2017-7-19
Use props
dronestarvision
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-19 09:27

I am assuming that because you are providing this information, that you have a Phantom 4 Pro Plus and you do not have any issues. Is this the case?

All of my updates are good on both of my remotes...
2017-7-19
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dronestarvision Posted at 2017-7-19 09:42
I am assuming that because you are providing this information, that you have a Phantom 4 Pro Plus and you do not have any issues. Is this the case?

All of my updates are good on both of my remotes...

That was a direct reply to post number 8 as you will see from the quote, not your query.
2017-7-19
Use props
dronestarvision
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-19 09:54
That was a direct reply to post number 8 as you will see from the quote, not your query.

I understand that, but do you have a Phantom 4 Pro + and do you have any issues?
2017-7-19
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dronestarvision Posted at 2017-7-19 10:14
I understand that, but do you have a Phantom 4 Pro + and do you have any issues?

No I do not have a Pro+, and I do not have any issues.

The P4Pro without the screen would be my choice if I were to upgrade from my P4.
2017-7-19
Use props
Stjinkyfeet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft
United States

sucks man! i'll trade ya my mavic for the p4p straight up! i'll even toss in an extra battery and a sd card
2017-7-19
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes. I agree!
2017-7-19
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Stjinkyfeet Posted at 2017-7-19 11:20
sucks man! i'll trade ya my mavic for the p4p straight up! i'll even toss in an extra battery and a sd card

It's the plus version. You may want to invest in the "regular" P4P controller if you close the deal.
2017-7-19
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-19 10:32
No I do not have a Pro+, and I do not have any issues.

The P4Pro without the screen would be my choice if I were to upgrade from my P4.

Agreed! The P4P is a great upgrade from the P4. The P4P+, not so much.
2017-7-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-7-19 12:42
Agreed! The P4P is a great upgrade from the P4. The P4P+, not so much.

Ahh the grass is always greener..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2017-7-19
Use props
smig
lvl.2
United Kingdom

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-7-19 06:31

I wouldnt as you are tied down to this device, with the p4p you can pick and choose device, size ect.

thats just my opinion
2017-7-19
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

smig Posted at 2017-7-19 13:20
I wouldnt as you are tied down to this device, with the p4p you can pick and choose device, size ect.

thats just my opinion

"I wouldnt as you are tied down to this device, with the p4p you can pick and choose device, size ect."

Completely agree with your comment, and also allows you to run other third party applications. If brighter screen a must, then buy the Crystalsky as an add on to standard P4P controller.
2017-7-19
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

thats just my opinion

Please accept my humble apologies for responding your post in previous reply, I do not have a P4P, nor any issues. But felt I had a worthwhile opinion to share.

EVERTON ....... That's now two of their supporters I know of
2017-7-19
Use props
Dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Off the topic of live streaming (not my thing whatsoever!), I just don't understand how I was able to make some decent videos last summer with iPad Air2 display ... P4P+ bright screen is a must in my case. Crystalsky monitor will be my next investment, definitely!
2017-7-19
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

pat_L Posted at 2017-7-19 13:57
I have been watching the forums for a few weeks now and decided to join. I would advise anyone to ignore "Hallmark" as I have rarely seen such a strong shill for a company in my life. If this individual does work for DJI, he should make it slightly less obvious.  His entire shtick is saying "user error" or "DJI must have had a reason". I've seen him called out on numerous threads and numerous posts for his extremely obvious "fan-boy" behavior, but his strange fetish pushes him back for more....

Be sure you are referring to the "legit" Hallmark. Others have created similar user names here specifically to appear as him.

As for the real one, I can say he is not a DJI employee, as he was recently banned from the forums. I can also say, I understand he may sometimes seem to be more on the pro-DJI side of the fence, but he also has in the past been a DJI critic when he felt the need. Aside from that, he is most definitely one of the more productive and constructive members here on the forums. Just my opinion though.
2017-7-20
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-19 13:10
Ahh the grass is always greener..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know! I have fought the urge to buy every new DJI quad, for risk of having buyer's remorse. I love my P4P, but so far I haven't used its more advanced features (or higher camera quality) compared to any of my previous Phantom 3 quads.
2017-7-20
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-7-20 05:51
Be sure you are referring to the "legit" Hallmark. Others have created similar user names here specifically to appear as him.

As for the real one, I can say he is not a DJI employee, as he was recently banned from the forums. I can also say, I understand he may sometimes seem to be more on the pro-DJI side of the fence, but he also has in the past been a DJI critic when he felt the need. Aside from that, he is most definitely one of the more productive and constructive members here on the forums. Just my opinion though.

Not just yours, theGrind...  
2017-7-20
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-20 06:22
Not just yours, theGrind...

Right! I mean, I am practically a DJI fanboy myself (just kidding), and I believe the company is doing most things wonderfully and right, but I will most definitely complain where I feel a complaint is due. I believe Hallmark and others like you (Antonio) fit that description as members as well.
2017-7-20
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-19 09:27

Yes I have updated both the aircraft and controller with assistant 2 and memory card for the controller and the video downlink is poor!
2017-7-20
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woodwanger Posted at 2017-7-20 10:18
Yes I have updated both the aircraft and controller with assistant 2 and memory card for the controller and the video downlink is poor!

And you've tried manually setting a channel to see if anything improves or perhaps relink controller ? That has been known to sort out poor video at times.

I assume that the P4P+ is the same as the P4 in as much as there is no retrospective roll back available on firmware (but I could be wrong).
2017-7-20
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-20 11:41
And you've tried manually setting a channel to see if anything improves or perhaps relink controller ? That has been known to sort out poor video at times.

I assume that the P4P+ is the same as the P4 in as much as there is no retrospective roll back available on firmware (but I could be wrong).

No I havn't but I will give it a try thank you for the suggestion, and I do not think you can roll back also but again I will check
2017-7-20
Use props
Phan-TOM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 61184 ft
  • >>>
United States

thats just my opinion

I just bought the P4P+ and so far do not regret the built in screen. I don't use third party apps for flying my DJI products, so thats a big reason why I'm ok with the built in screen. Also through my own personal experience with P4, and Mavic I just got tired of always having to use my phone or ipad, for numerous reasons... First, My iPhone and iPad are ALWAYS in an otterbox case. The iPad must be removed from the case, for the P4 and really, so should the iPhone. The P4 CAN hold the iPhone in the case, but barely, so you have to clamp it in really firm. for the Mavic, I have to always take the iPhone out of the case, which gets to be annoying when you make several flights in one day.  Next is the interruptions - you have to put the device in airplane mode, if you don't want to be interrupted mid flight by a call, text, or other notification. this is usually not that big of a deal unless you forget to turn off airplane mode after you're done, or again, if you make multiple flights in one day. Then there's the battery drain. One flight in the Mavic will kill 30% of your battery life on the iPhone. (This rapid discharge also overheats the phone) If your battery is any less than 50% when starting your flight it could die mid flight, which has happened to me once. Luckily the Mavic was only a few feet away at the time so I could see it. (Otherwise the Home Button is your best bet if you want to see your Mavic again)  Next is the screen. iPad or iPhone, sucks in sunlight period. This gets old quick. - JMO
2017-7-21
Use props
pat_L
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-7-21
Use props
EdSimmonsPhoto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 121371 ft
United States

I purchased a Mavic for work, and got comfortable with it before I bought my own personal P4Pro..the camera is the reason I bought the P4Pro for myself.  
2017-7-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules