Extremely noisy video with mavic pro, is this normal?
11957 19 2017-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nomnomnom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8343 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I made sure to shoot at ISO 100 but the noise is still insane. This is my first done so maybe the expectation is set wrong? I uploaded a small clip but you can see that there are no details at all for the trees.
I shot with D-Log with settings +1/-1/-1, 4k 30p.

2017-7-19
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

Looks about right to me dlog , doesn't look that good, it's mainly used for when grading...and looks far better after.
2017-7-19
Use props
dkotinsky
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15096995 ft
  • >>>
United States

that looks terrible
2017-7-19
Use props
fansae6de894
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1539 ft
United States

set sharpening to 0.  Do not go below that however.   Also, frame rate and shutter speed are important.   I don't see a lot of noise in your clip but it does look over sharp...  That is subjective of course...   It is laking that cinematic feel.  that comes with frame rate shutter speed combo...  You will want to look into ND filters...
2017-7-19
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
India

If you don't want to do post editing than choose TRUE COLOR and get ND filter for filming in bright light and or shoot use manually setting and play around with the settings until you get the dsired look that YOU want!
2017-7-19
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

You could improve the image quality a lot in this video clip, if you add a little contrast and sharpness.
Experiment...
2017-7-19
Use props
nomnomnom
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

RCNJ Posted at 2017-7-19 09:44
Looks about right to me dlog , doesn't look that good, it's mainly used for when grading...and looks far better after.

Sorry what do you mean? It's normal for Dlog to look this noisy? But I tried other mods, like dcine and theres much less noise. Is the noise normal? When you say grading, do you mean denoise? I don't understand why one mode would introduce more noise.
2017-7-19
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Cayman Islands

Im not seeing anything wrong with that video.  Looks about right for ungraded d-log.
The mavic IS noisy (60mbps bit rate for 4k isnt a lot) but that noise normally manifests itself as a flicker due to the 8th frame reset on the codec.
Try d-cinelog with +1/0/0 and see what happens.
2017-7-19
Use props
nomnomnom
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

gnirtS Posted at 2017-7-19 17:54
Im not seeing anything wrong with that video.  Looks about right for ungraded d-log.
The mavic IS noisy (60mbps bit rate for 4k isnt a lot) but that noise normally manifests itself as a flicker due to the 8th frame reset on the codec.
Try d-cinelog with +1/0/0 and see what happens.

Really? Then I don't get why my video has noise but most youtube demo videos for the mavic does not, for example like this:

2017-7-19
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Cayman Islands

D-log *has* to be graded and post processed.
2017-7-19
Use props
marcelkoks
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51362 ft
New Zealand

To to me it also looks like Dlog without the LUT applied for grading (or any grading in post at all), and a bit over sharpened.
2017-7-19
Use props
DroneNut51
lvl.2

Mexico

That's normal for D-Log...I used to be a fan of D-Log but I found that due to my poor color grading skills I just said forget it and now I use True Color
2017-7-19
Use props
Digitaldias
lvl.1
Flight distance : 54587 ft
Norway

I have to agree with what others have said here so far. This is a combination of 2 things:

* DLog is a mode where you flatten your image on purpose, because you're going to re-introduce shadows/highlights in post production. It is NOT usable straight out of the camera. The way it works is basically to help you avoid details lost in shadows (underexposed) or details lost in highlights. Your video still looks like it could be exposed more to the right (in the histogram, look up ETTR ). I've been  shooting with -1, -3, -3 myself for the last flights.

* Second, as pointed out in other posts,  4K Video requires ALOT of bandwidth, and the mavic only handles image data at a rate of  60MBit/s, so details are lost (meaning: noise), low ISO performance will be worse (sensor/optics) etc.

In spite of that, the Mavic has the flexibility vs image quality, and for me, it justifies that lower image quality over, for example, the phantom, but if you're looking at getting the best image, I would consider a drone with a better image processor, and also better optics. For me, the Mavic more than satisfies my needs as an enthusiast, but I see and understand it's limitations.

One last thing: You will probably want to get ND filters and a polarizer for your mavic ASAP to help exposure. The Mavic REALLY shines when you use them correctly.
2017-7-19
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

nomnomnom Posted at 2017-7-19 19:13
Really? Then I don't get why my video has noise but most youtube demo videos for the mavic does not, for example like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFu0W6P2w6A&t=40s

that video will have had alot of post work done, luts applied and colors graded, its not default mavic footage etc

2017-7-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Looks like it is normal. But if you could upload an original video from the SD card to dropbox, then provide me a link to download it , I'd like to transfer it to our engineers for further analysis.
2017-7-20
Use props
nomnomnom
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Digitaldias Posted at 2017-7-19 20:59
I have to agree with what others have said here so far. This is a combination of 2 things:

* DLog is a mode where you flatten your image on purpose, because you're going to re-introduce shadows/highlights in post production. It is NOT usable straight out of the camera. The way it works is basically to help you avoid details lost in shadows (underexposed) or details lost in highlights. Your video still looks like it could be exposed more to the right (in the histogram, look up ETTR ). I've been  shooting with -1, -3, -3 myself for the last flights.

I understand what you mean, I work with log files a lot (even from A7Sii) but in this case, the noise is so significant I don't see how grading could bring it back to the level I see on other youtubers. Which makes me wonder if I have misconfigured the mavic. Unless you have a special way to grade this? Even with noise reduction applied (I use neat video), it is still not to the level I am seeing with other videos.
Does any of you have some dlog footage I can look at (ungraded)? Even just a 5 seconds clip as a sample.

P.S. how do I subscribe to email updates to this forum?
2017-7-21
Use props
deressener
New
Flight distance : 256 ft
Germany

My videos do look exact the same way as the video from the TO. I really cannot believe that this noise is "normal".

@nomnomnom: did you find a solution for your Problem?

Thanks to all.
2017-8-24
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

normal for D-Log in my experience outside of mavic pro.  D-log is used for color grading, basically flat color and exposure pallet....  function over form.. put it that way  as for noise, probably iso issue...  or something.   

if you want more pop and color and all, use D-Cinelike..  gives you some flexibility color grading in post still but it should look better to the eye before post processing..
2017-8-24
Use props
nomnomnom
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

No, there's no solution. The mavic will give you flicker to no end. I'm switching to another drone.

Btw, it has nothing to do with Dlog, or ND filter or any of that nonsense. It's to do with the codec and the type of scene you are shooting (with lots of details). Please educate yourself by reading this thread https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... sion-problem.18907/
2017-8-24
Use props
alk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 889423 ft
United States

nomnomnom Posted at 2017-7-19 15:38
Sorry what do you mean? It's normal for Dlog to look this noisy? But I tried other mods, like dcine and theres much less noise. Is the noise normal? When you say grading, do you mean denoise? I don't understand why one mode would introduce more noise.

Make sure you are exposing to the right when shooting LOG. This means you must overexpose as much as possible (to get detail in the shadows) without blowing out the highlights. Once you find that balance, you will see that your LOG footage looks a lot better.
Normally you cannot do this in a Normal profile because you would just blow out the highlights completely, but LOG allows you to do this while preserving highlights, just as intended!

Good luck!
2020-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules