Charging Phantom Battery through USB and Solar
11437 10 2015-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gratts
New

New Zealand

Just wondering if anyone would know the answer to if the Phantom battery can be charged through a USB port and if it can be charged this way how? I am wanting to charge the battery through the kickr IV out in the field. http://www.goenerplex.com/products/all-products/kickr/kickr-iv .Anyone know if this would be possible? or any other options other than buying extra batteries for portable charging
2015-3-22
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Gratts, as "whatever todays name says" you need either a mains converter or car charger, extra batteries are the quick and easy option.
Also that Kickr product is only 5v output, and no the phantom batteries can not be charged by USB as the voltage is too low.
2015-3-22
Use props
crowe
New

Canada

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-3-22 17:16
Hi Gratts, as "whatever todays name says" you need either a mains converter or car charger, extra ba ...

What is the minimum charging voltage?  Thanks
2015-4-29
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

110/240v for the DJI mains charger, 12vDC for the DJI car charger, (the car charger will work from 11 to 14v.)
I don't think its a good idea to use anything other than the official charger for the smart batteries.
Just my opinion...
2015-4-29
Use props
Jackvg
lvl.2

Netherlands

I would not charge the battery's with something other dan a official DJI charger. I read a lot about battery problems, and i really do not want to create an extra problem. Just in case of.

Other than that, i think charging trough USB wil never work. The voltage and current are way to low. As for the solar panel, its only 6 watts, and also the output is USB (5volts). Even if you have a 12 volt solarpanel, i think charging will take a few days. (unless its a really big and expensive solarpanel). I don't know if the DJI battery electronics will allow this, of even can handle it.
2015-4-29
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

Haha! The post i made here was not for this thread so i deleted it and will paste it in the thread i ment it for. This is what i get for posting while im working
2015-4-29
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

Jackvg Posted at 2015-4-30 02:32
I would not charge the battery's with something other dan a official DJI charger. I read a lot about ...

The Phantom Main batteries integrated charge circuit requires about 12.6V DC @0.2 to 5.2 Amps.  the lower the amps the longer the charging takes ( approx. 26 hours at 0.2A ).  Going higher than 5.2 Amps is detrimental to the battery since the internal charging circuit does not limit the charge current to 1C which is the standard maximum charge current for LiPo.
2015-4-30
Use props
Oldman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

The cheapest way of charging the phantom battery in the field is to use an inverter (converts mains voltage to 12volts) and plug your supplied charger into that.  I have a 150w inverter which does the job really well and is very cheap to buy.  I have a seperate 12v battery in the car boot (trunk) which I keep for this purpose so as not to run the car battery flat.
2015-4-30
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

I am not sure this would work and if it did it would take FOREVER to charge.  What is the point?{:2_36:}
2015-4-30
Use props
fans305ddc6d
New
United States

I have been charging my Phantom battery through a 200 watt and 400 watt car inverter, but success is intermittent.  Sometimes it works, and sometimes not.  I do know that electronics should be charged through a "pure sine wave" inverter, see link below.  The less expensive "modified sine wave" has a square wave, while the "pure sine wave" types duplicate the typical characteristic you would find in your home wall outlet.  If your going to mess with a $60+ battery, it would make sense to me to spend the extra pennies and get the right DC/AC inverter.

https://web.wpi.edu/Pubs/E-proje ... icted/MQP_D_1_2.pdf

2017-6-26
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

What battery do you want to charge 3S or 4S Phantom battery? for 3S (P2 and P2Vision) 12 Volts and 4S (P3/P4) 17 Volts output are required.
2017-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules