Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark Flyaway
2592 18 2017-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Craigolivier1
New
Flight distance : 98717 ft
South Africa

Anyone had a Spark flyaway? I launched my Spark and got a warning regarding GPS signal. It limited my height to 6m until the home point was recorded. After ascending to around 20m started getting compass errors etc... my Spark then unfortunately disconnected from the RC and flew off into the distance never to be seen again. How does this happen?
2017-7-20
Use props
Craigolivier1
New
South Africa

http://app.airdata.com/main?share=KzIhJp
2017-7-20
Use props
Bobesh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 270840 ft
Czechia

Craigolivier1@g Posted at 2017-7-20 07:59
http://app.airdata.com/main?share=KzIhJp

As most of the cases (including yours) are related to GPS, Compass & IMU are not correctly calibrated before the flight or are disrupted mid-flight by some interference (power lines, satellites...).

See the C, D & E in your log - You lost the GPS signal, Compass has failed and IMU at the end. After this, your Spark has absolutely no clue what is happening and simply tries to hover (without actually knowing where he is).

2017-7-20
Use props
GIdoc
lvl.2
United States

Should you calibrate the compass and IMU BEFORE EVERY flight??
Almost every time I start my spark, it asks to calibrate the compass... but once GPS locks on.... that warning goes away.
2017-7-20
Use props
Bobesh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 270840 ft
Czechia

GIdoc Posted at 2017-7-20 08:09
Almost every time I start my spark, it asks to calibrate the compass... but once GPS locks on.... that warning goes away.

It really depends on the case. On certain places, I'm not even able to calibrate the compass because of all the interference going on. But good practice is to calibrate every time you change the place you fly at. But definitely make sure, that it is calibrated and stay away from power lines, satellite dishes and other strong radio/power stuff.
2017-7-20
Use props
fanse855bdb3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7336 ft
Netherlands

Sorry to hear! It's almost similar to my problem, see: https://forum.dji.com/thread-103414-1-1.html. I was able to retrieve and currently it's under repair with DJI... But I wonder there are many fly-aways with the spark!
2017-7-20
Use props
cwe0002
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84117 ft
United States

That is terrible, sorry to hear it. I never had to calibrate the IMU and only calibrated the compass once when I first received my Spark. I've read a lot of conflicting info but I don't plan on calibrating it unless I get a prompt, error or warning message prior to takeoff.
2017-7-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi Craigoliver, sorry to hear about your spark, you should be able to find it, it looks like it crashed 290 ft , if you play back your flight on your app there are coordinates just above play button.

Did you take off near any steel or metal objects or from concrete which usually has rebar in it, so many fly aways are caused from this type of thing, it won't matter if you calibrate before flying , if there is any form of magnetic interference on the ground you take off from.
Bobesh is right about conflict between compass and gps compass is dictating which way AC is heading gps is trying to take command from you or hover, gps just gives up and AC goes into Atti mode, IMU can't correct heading and aircraft takes off.

It is unlikely you got compass problems in the air, unless you flew close to metal roof or power lines. Maybe you have care refresh if you have use picture in your airdata and coordinates to help you find your spark.
Good luck.
2017-7-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GIdoc Posted at 2017-7-20 08:09

You should only calibrate your compass when prompted, what warning are you getting, is it to calibrate or compass interference move AC or calibrate?

2017-7-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fanse855bdb3 Posted at 2017-7-20 08:22
Sorry to hear! It's almost similar to my problem, see: https://forum.dji.com/thread-103414-1-1.html. I was able to retrieve and currently it's under repair with DJI... But I wonder there are many fly-aways with the spark!

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=260008
2017-7-20
Use props
Craigolivier1
New
South Africa

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-20 13:17
Hi Craigoliver, sorry to hear about your spark, you should be able to find it, it looks like it crashed 290 ft , if you play back your flight on your app there are coordinates just above play button.

Did you take off near any steel or metal objects or from concrete which usually has rebar in it, so many fly aways are caused from this type of thing, it won't matter if you calibrate before flying , if there is any form of magnetic interference on the ground you take off from.

I could see it ascending and flying into the distance. That was the last position I still had connection. If you look at the altitude the last recording was at 141.4ft - this is 100ft higher than my take off position. It continued to fly without any record.

I checked the specific last recorded point no luck. Also checked all the surrounding properties. No luck. After I got these error i almost immediately lost connection and could not fly back etc.

No metal or concrete at take off point or around at the time.
2017-7-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry to hear about your case. Please log in the app the sync the flight records if you had logged in the DJI GO 4 app, then look into the record of this accident, check the take off point, pull the progress bar to the end if its right, then you can see the location of the last signal of your drone. Try to find your drone there.
Please contact our support to start a ticket, we will help to make data analysis too, if it's malfunction, we will compensate your drone if it is under warranty according to After-Sales Policy.
Here’s the link to contact us: http://www.dji.com/support
2017-7-21
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

cwe0002 Posted at 2017-7-20 11:30
That is terrible, sorry to hear it. I never had to calibrate the IMU and only calibrated the compass once when I first received my Spark. I've read a lot of conflicting info but I don't plan on calibrating it unless I get a prompt, error or warning message prior to takeoff.

Same here, i have only done it once. Never had any sort of problem with the spark.
2017-7-21
Use props
Craigolivier1
New
South Africa

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-21 00:24
Sorry to hear about your case. Please log in the app the sync the flight records if you had logged in the DJI GO 4 app, then look into the record of this accident, check the take off point, pull the progress bar to the end if its right, then you can see the location of the last signal of your drone. Try to find your drone there.
Please contact our support to start a ticket, we will help to make data analysis too, if it's malfunction, we will compensate your drone if it is under warranty according to After-Sales Policy.
Here’s the link to contact us: http://www.dji.com/support

The last record was mid flight when it disconnected. I have looked at that location and further along in the same direction. no luck.

I have logged a call - awaiting R&D feedback
2017-7-21
Use props
Cavids
lvl.3
United States

I hate to say this but I also had some fly away issues, lucky there were bushes nearby to stop the quad.  I have been using dji products for a couple of years now and have never had any issues with compas or gps and I am flying at the same place.  I watched all of the dji videos on the spark and read the whole manual.  i personally feel these issues are all due to lack of gps/compas calibration.  DJI sends it to you but nowhere does it suggest you do the Naza dance, honestly I did not even think there was a way to do it with this quad, but found it latter when really looking.  After doing the dance my issues seem to have stopped, more time will tell.  Anyway think about it they are built in China and tested there, China is the oposite hemisphere so it makes sense that it would be mandatory to do the naza dance......  Shame on DJI
2017-7-21
Use props
GIdoc
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-20 13:20
You should only calibrate your compass when prompted, what warning are you getting, is it to calibrate or compass interference move AC or calibrate?

I don't remember... will have to pay attention next time.  Many times it says calibrate compass... but after GPS lock on, the warning goes away.... ?
2017-7-21
Use props
danielwilkie29
lvl.4
United Kingdom

https://www.heliguy.com/blog/201 ... ser-error-flyaways/
2017-7-28
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

I don't agree with that website at all about calibrating the compass you should not calibrate compass every flight that could introduce user errors especially if you didn't calibrate right or you calibrated near some metal and didn't know you should only calibrate when prompted!
2017-7-28
Use props
fansc22a7c69
lvl.1
Flight distance : 105115 ft
Canada

Yes, brand new Spark, am very experienced have P3A many flights.  My Spark was right above me hit RTH and took off like a bullet.  Totally lost as it was high with 75% battery.  Flight log shows Homepoint recorded all nominal.  Wish I had just brought it down with down stick, but then one always wants to test things like RTH to make sure your safe.  Was using remote and did best to cancel but was locked out.  Submitted records to DJI Support and they have prompt with replies and are investigating. My advice to all buying Spark. It is a really good design, am very happy with the few photos and vids I got but make sure to test and calibrate carefully and fly in very open areas to start!  Am very disappointed about loss but hoping for good results from support as flight records certainly show weird stuff going on that were unforeseen.
2017-8-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules