Best iPad Mini- Mavic Pro Fly More
2227 19 2017-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DrDimento
lvl.2
United States

Ok, so I went out and purchased and iPad mini 2 for use with my recent purchase of a Mavic Pro Fly More Kit and before actually downloading the app, only to discover that the app isn't compatible with an iPad mini 2.  Now that I've disclosed how stupid I am, what iPad mini 4 is recommended....

WiFi only?
WiFi using HotSpot from my iPhone 7?
WiFi plus cellular?
Other config that I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance to those who respond.

2017-7-20
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

ipad mini 2 IS compatible i personaly had some flights with it (but do change to ipad 4 celular at the end ;) )
2017-7-21
Use props
DrDimento
lvl.2
United States

alex_markov Posted at 2017-7-21 00:04
ipad mini 2 IS compatible i personaly had some flights with it (but do change to ipad 4 celular at the end ;) )

How ever did you get the app to download?  I tried the download through iTunes and it said that my device was not compatible with the app.
2017-7-23
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

DrDimento Posted at 2017-7-23 18:39
How ever did you get the app to download?  I tried the download through iTunes and it said that my device was not compatible with the app.

App store directly on iPad mini 2 , IOS 10.3... last one
2017-7-23
Use props
artingerbill
lvl.1
Flight distance : 471601 ft
United States

I just picked up the iPad Mini 4 WiFi+Cell exclusively for flying my Mavic/P3A. What a difference! No more of my phone (LG V20) crashing, stuttering or overheating!
2017-7-24
Use props
Mari
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

iPad 4 Mini Wi-Fi only... no need for cellular options and spending more money on it...
2017-7-24
Use props
Bird JER
lvl.1
Flight distance : 55075 ft
United States

iPad 4 Mini Wi-Fi only. Didn't feel the need for the extra expense of cellular coupled with the monthly charges.
2017-7-24
Use props
Ferks
lvl.2
United States

I got the iPad 4 mini 128GB Wi-Fi and Cellular for $509.00 new.

I have a very inexpensive data plan from Tello, $11.00 a month for 1GB, I love not relying on WiFi.
2017-7-24
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I would say the iPad mini Wifi + 4G as you will need 4G to load the maps also to check for updates in the field... On amazon you can get Apple Refurb special offer http://amzn.to/2v3mJTJ
2017-7-25
Use props
DrDimento
lvl.2
United States

Bradders Posted at 2017-7-25 03:51
I would say the iPad mini Wifi + 4G as you will need 4G to load the maps also to check for updates in the field... On amazon you can get Apple Refurb special offer http://amzn.to/2v3mJTJ

What about if I purchased an ipad min 4 wifi and use my phone as a hot spot?
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

DrDimento Posted at 2017-9-15 19:48
What about if I purchased an ipad min 4 wifi and use my phone as a hot spot?

That will work, and even if you want to do a live stream. The thing is that WiFi version doesn't equip with GPS module inside so it won't work if you want to use the current RC's position as your Homepoint.
2017-9-16
Use props
DrDimento
lvl.2
United States

Wait.  You mean if I walk around with wifi only ipad mini 4 i can't reset the home point so that it will return to me directly but instead will go back to the original homepoint at launch?
2017-9-18
Use props
Mari
Second Officer
Netherlands

Yup... the only homepoint you will have is the one where the Mavic took off...
2017-9-18
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-16 01:27
That will work, and even if you want to do a live stream. The thing is that WiFi version doesn't equip with GPS module inside so it won't work if you want to use the current RC's position as your Homepoint.

Those are important information and have to be considered.
2017-9-18
Use props
DrDimento
lvl.2
United States

Mari Posted at 2017-9-18 08:24
Yup... the only homepoint you will have is the one where the Mavic took off...

Well I sure don't like that idea as at the moment I tend to walk around and more than likely I always will.  The big issue is that a lot of places I will be using the Mavic will be in non-cell service areas and no wifi either.  Then what?
2017-9-18
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2576972 ft
  • >>>
United States

DrDimento Posted at 2017-9-18 09:28
Well I sure don't like that idea as at the moment I tend to walk around and more than likely I always will.  The big issue is that a lot of places I will be using the Mavic will be in non-cell service areas and no wifi either.  Then what?

You don't need WIFI or cell service for the GPS to function.
2017-9-18
Use props
DrDimento
lvl.2
United States

microlinux Posted at 2017-9-18 09:46
You don't need WIFI or cell service for the GPS to function.

Awesome. Thank you for responding.   Just to make sure then, when I've walked say an a 1/4 km away from my take off point, I can set a new homepoint someway or under setting tell it to land at the controller and it will find/know me where i'm at?  just want to make sure.
2017-9-18
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2576972 ft
  • >>>
United States

DrDimento Posted at 2017-9-18 10:09
Awesome. Thank you for responding.   Just to make sure then, when I've walked say an a 1/4 km away from my take off point, I can set a new homepoint someway or under setting tell it to land at the controller and it will find/know me where i'm at?  just want to make sure.

I believe you just set a new home point, but I've never actually used this functionality.
2017-9-18
Use props
Mari
Second Officer
Netherlands

DrDimento Posted at 2017-9-18 10:09

If the device that is connected has GPS this option will be available in DJI Go 4 app...
2017-9-18
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
Flight distance : 192244 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,
I bought an iPad mini 4 wifi not cellular to use with my Mavic Pro instead of my iPhone 6s.

You can't update your home position once you have taken off or use the follow me mode as the iPad mini 4 doesn't have a gps chip.

I've tried using my iPhone 6 as a wifi hotspot but the gps data is not transferred to the iPad mini 4.

I wish I had bought the cellular version now! Mine is less than two weeks old when I found this out at the weekend.

Hope this helps..
2017-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules