How to warm up a battery in cold weather?
2472 8 2017-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
meepmeep
lvl.1
United States

https://store.dji.com/guides/bat ... nique&pm=custom

That article talks about a lot of stuff but doesn't actually explain how to warm a battery up and seems to reference some "warmer" also withh no link or more info, wth?? A little help please DJI How does one warm up batteries? I have mavic and spark.
2017-7-21
Use props
Pumavic
lvl.3
United States

I would just insulate them to begin with to eliminate the need to warm up. Get a little cooler, fully line the inside with thick closed cell foam, maybe drop each battery inside a wool sock, put inside the center of cooler, that should keep from getting cold. Batteries hate cold (and of course really hot temps), so not letting them cold initially will probably save the battery life anyway.
2017-7-21
Use props
Christian_MUC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1023579 ft
Germany

Hi, i simply put them in the inside pockets of my jacket  ;) best Christian
2017-7-21
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

How cold are we talking about??? Ar you in Alaska or up high in the Rockies?? Just keep them in your pocket, hover for few minutes until the battery temperature around 25C and you are good to go!
2017-7-21
Use props
meepmeep
lvl.1
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-7-21 08:55
How cold are we talking about??? Ar you in Alaska or up high in the Rockies?? Just keep them in your pocket, hover for few minutes until the battery temperature around 25C and you are good to go!

I just read their guide and it implies a battery can fail if not warmed up, and VA does get cold in winter so I am curious. If they are going to publish info like that they should give more details like to your question, at which temp is this necessary? See their link.
2017-7-21
Use props
meepmeep
lvl.1
United States

good advice from all about keeping them insulated to begin with, hoping DJI will reply tho
2017-7-21
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

meepmeep Posted at 2017-7-21 11:07
good advice from all about keeping them insulated to begin with, hoping DJI will reply tho

We have more practice than DJI customer service.

Follow the instructions and you should be good. They will fail when you are below zero. Rule of thumb, after you follow the instructions above, check you battery's temp (which you should do before every flight) before you take off.Again the magic number is 25C.

2017-7-21
Use props
meepmeep
lvl.1
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-7-21 11:27
We have more practice than DJI customer service.

Follow the instructions and you should be good. They will fail when you are below zero. Rule of thumb, after you follow the instructions above, check you battery's temp (which you should do before every flight) before you take off.Again the magic number is 25C.

Thanks, will do!
2017-7-21
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

Down front of pants works fine for me.
2017-7-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now