Afraid To Buy A Spark....
12Next >
7530 55 2017-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hollywood7
lvl.2
United States

I've been reading the DJI Spark forums since the Spark was announced.
I wanted to wait until "Pilots" received theirs & started posting thoughts on the Spark.
Maybe it's just because people will post when there is an issue or a problem, & not so much when everything is perfect; But it seems there are a lot of problems with the first version of the Spark?
It may be a case where most of the users are extremely happy with their Spark, & just are not posting; & the people with problems are speaking out the loudest...
At this point, I don't know if I should buy a Spark now? Wait for the next firmware update? Or spend the extra money & get a Mavic?
Help me decide....
Thanks!
2017-7-21
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

You have to:

1) Know exactly what you want this product for.  Ex. You already have a Drone but just want something fun and easy to keep with you.

2) What are your expectations for the photo / video quality.  Ex. Photos in .jpg / raw formats.  Video quality that you are happy with; 1080P / 4K

3) Battery life / Flight Time.  Ex. Is 12 to 15 minutes enough or are you looking for 20 minutes or more.

4) Product and associated costs.  Yes - The Spark starts at $499 but that's without the Remote Control and only (1) battery.  Serious use requires the RC and at least (2) additional batteries and the (3) battery charger.  Costs add up.  The Mavic has the same requirements as far as additional batteries - unless you jump on the Mavic FlyMore, but then your costs jump.

My advice: Honestly answer these questions and do your own homework.  Don't let someone else "tell" you want you want / need without knowing your own expectations or you will show up as another DJI customer who complains about the quality / feature set / missing features that DJI sold you.

It's your money and YOU should take the responsibility for knowing your expectations and managing them.
2017-7-21
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

People here are most often only here because they are having issues. Spark is one of our most popular drones so the number of issues will look larger. Sure there are certainly things that need to be fixed, but keep in mind there are thousands using Spark that have had no issues. Hopefully you'll get a good amount of happy users replying, but honestly, you may need to do more research elsewhere to see an unbiased sample of users.
2017-7-21
Use props
fansd8e80c3c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 95502 ft
Chile

Sincerely if you can afford the extra money spend a bit more and get the Mavic, the main thing that will make you sad is the range, that with and without RC is not the advertised (a fw update can improve but not fix and there is a huge difference between 500m and 4km when your pushing these guys to the limit)
2017-7-21
Use props
mtnlandpix
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

No problems with my Spark.  I love it.  As to range, we are supposed to fly line of sight in the US. The drone is so small it will fly well beyond line of sight.  But the other posters are correct.  Weigh the options and buy what is best for your needs.
2017-7-21
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

love my spark... but if you want something more "stable" get a mavic... i got spark because of the form factor...
but im definately aiming for mavic 2
2017-7-21
Use props
Byrd's Loft
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48320 ft
United States

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-7-21 16:31
People here are most often only here because they are having issues. Spark is one of our most popular drones so the number of issues will look larger. Sure there are certainly things that need to be fixed, but keep in mind there are thousands using Spark that have had no issues. Hopefully you'll get a good amount of happy users replying, but honestly, you may need to do more research elsewhere to see an unbiased sample of users.

I suppose I am 'biased' as you say and I am also attempting to not be insulted by your statement. The fact is... I am posting here because I have real problems with the Spark failing to operate properly and it is fair to say the others posting here also have real documented failures of the product. This is not even mentioning other customers who are not posting about their troubles here.

My question then is: How do you justify that our documented problems are somehow inconsequential when compared to total units shipped? That is a bit of a tone deaf statement considering the seriousness of the failures presented to DJI on this forum and the lack of a solid DJI reponse to fix them.
2017-7-21
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mavic is still the king.................
2017-7-21
Use props
NyVetteGuy
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I just set my Spark up tonight and had no issues with three flights in beginner mode...looking forward to learning how to use it more and more over the weekend...
2017-7-21
Use props
nucmanchh
lvl.4
United States

No problems with the Spark here. Not the first issue. It's so good I'll hesitate to download the first firmware update that comes?
2017-7-21
Use props
Flying Wolf_NOL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345827 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've now run three batteries down to the point of needing to be recharged (at least once). I have to say that, so far, it has been rock solid and a real joy to fly. I'm still being very careful and keeping it close. I've only had it up to about 50 feet and only about 100 feet away from me. The controls are very responsive and I've even flown it indoors with no problem. It even got a GPS lock indoors while other DJI drones I have will not.
Like someone else said, it depends what you want it for. For me, I just want a drone to have fun with which is small, easy to transport and won't attract too much attention. After all, it's just too small and cute to be anything anyone should be wary of.... right?   That's the plan at least.  :-)
2017-7-21
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have also had no problems.  Love my spark.
2017-7-21
Use props
JaredD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 298957 ft
Australia

I have been really enjoying the spark thus far.

You definitely have to weigh up what you want to do with the drone before you make a selection.
Just bear in mind that the Spark is an entry-level drone, it will do everything the mavic will, just in a more limited sense.
2017-7-21
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

I am quite sure the question from the thread should he buy Spark because of the issues recently.He obviously does not want to ask if he should buy Spark or Mavic.
To answer,I can just say the issues are true,you can see it on the forum,but one thing for sure is that it is not a wide sprrad issue.only some has,most still doing fine.
So should you buy Spark --> yes,totally,awesome little drone.should you buy now --> no,wait until next week for the newest update to see if it fixes the issues.should you buy Mavic over Spark --> yes,if you can afford the extra,definitely go for Mavic.
2017-7-21
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thursday evening, distance, altitude and sport mode. 3 Bty's and no issues at all in the UK. Batteries one after the other. Love it for no serious flying and just for a blast around. The joy of sport mode 1m off the ground is soooooo enjoyable if not a little worrying.
2017-7-21
Use props
JaredD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 298957 ft
Australia

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-7-21 21:50
I am quite sure the question from the thread should he buy Spark because of the issues recently.He obviously does not want to ask if he should buy Spark or Mavic.
To answer,I can just say the issues are true,you can see it on the forum,but one thing for sure is that it is not a wide sprrad issue.only some has,most still doing fine.
So should you buy Spark --> yes,totally,awesome little drone.should you buy now --> no,wait until next week for the newest update to see if it fixes the issues.should you buy Mavic over Spark --> yes,if you can afford the extra,definitely go for Mavic.

If you read the post again, one of the questions was, should I save my money and get a mavic instead....
2017-7-22
Use props
HamdiR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70262 ft
Lebanon

I find the dji admin comment of biased users really insulting as well, no fw update since a month and the drone drowning in issues

How do you explain the controller failing to link with updated sparks? This is not a subjective matter if you have an updated spark and buy a controller it will not link unless you are in China or US probably

And how do you explain how impossible it is to change between 2.4 and 5.8ghz?

The fact of the matter is: wifi is a terrible tech for a drone advertised with 2km DJI themselves trash wifi when they advertise occusync
2017-7-22
Use props
HamdiR
lvl.2
Lebanon

Don't confuse yourself like I did, the mavic has a jaw dropping connection, the spark is subject to all sort of interference because of standard wifi so if you are considering the mavic don't even sweat it go for it

The only reason the spark is a tempting offer is the cute harmless vs the warrior look of the mavic look but when any interference is enough to get the drone to fly way it's the spark that's actually far more dangerous than the mavic

They can fix the software all they want but there is no changing that this is a wifi based drone, parrot beepop anyone?
2017-7-22
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I honestly love the Spark, and if it is your first drone you will LOVE it. most of the people complaining here already have a different drone,  I would recommend getting one from Amazon, so you can return it easily if your not happy  http://amzn.to/2ul7Jxk
2017-7-22
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

JaredD Posted at 2017-7-22 00:04
If you read the post again, one of the questions was, should I save my money and get a mavic instead....

That is because he is afraid of the Spark issue,correct?So I meant he is considering Mavic because he is hearing about Spark issues
2017-7-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Ok it's understandable when you look around here how you might be put off buying Spark now. Yes there are some with big problems some with niggly problems, but on the hole most are getting on good with their spark,
If you want to know how it works, it's a great piece of tech, it's amazing fun and you can get very good results from film/photography. It's amazingly fast responsive and it's portability is second only to none.
I would recommend it but I would also recommend you purchase RC and a couple of batteries with it.
New firmware will be out shortly as beta testing is finished, so hopefully this will help with some of the bigger problems and smaller problems with the spark.

It's a totally different drone than Mavic so impossible to compare...
2017-7-22
Use props
NewtonLeWilows
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Had my Spark 3 weeks no problems, and stop with the get a Mavic stuff every time someone asks a question, it's getting very old and very boring. Mavic had its problems when it was first released.
2017-7-22
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

NewtonLeWilows Posted at 2017-7-22 02:32
Had my Spark 3 weeks no problems, and stop with the get a Mavic stuff every time someone asks a question, it's getting very old and very boring. Mavic had its problems when it was first released.

In all fairness...the OP did ask the question: "At this point, I don't know if I should buy a Spark now? Wait for the next firmware update? Or spend the extra money & get a Mavic?"
2017-7-22
Use props
sparktacus
New

Australia

2 big negatives for me
- Battery life
- Top speed in default mode to get good video  (not sport) is slow
2017-7-22
Use props
HamdiR
lvl.2
Lebanon

For those who don't have problems, I am real glad you are enjoying

But to wait weeks for the controller to arrive only to fail to bind with anyone is simply Hilarious

Some of the spark issues are literally crazy
2017-7-22
Use props
HamdiR
lvl.2
Lebanon

We have to admit DJI is beta testing with owners at the risk of drones falling on people and property

These kind of ethics that this Chinese company should learn is not acceptable
2017-7-22
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

@Hollywood7 - there have now been 20+ posts since my post and there are strong opinions on both sides of your questions.

My experiences as someone who owns both a Mavic Pro and a Spark (FlyMore) both products have their strong points.  The Mavic is faster, has longer range and longer flight time, and has more choices in the video and photo outputs.  As someone posted, flying the Mavic does bring more attention to you when you are flying around neighbors or people who might be skittish.

The Spark is smaller, sets up and gets airborne a little quicker.  It's really easy to keep and carry (mine is in a GPC case in my car's hatch)  so it's always with me.  The output choices in video and photo are more limited - but I'm not shooting for anyone other than myself and the output meets most of my needs.  But the biggest NEED is it's always available, where the Mavic is usually home when an unexpected opportunity shows up when I'm out.

I've not had any problems with my Spark and I have one of the first Spark FlyMore shipments.  I have purchased (3) additional batteries and I fly with an iPad in the Remote Controller.  This is a really sweet setup for my needs and yours may be very different.  And that's why my initial post advised you to evaluate your needs, expectations and how much you want to spend.  My Spark was purchased to be always available and quick to launch.

Good Luck and Safe Flying no matter what you buy.
2017-7-22
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Also, the Spark's size allows it to go places the Mavic would not be able to; allowing for some really unique shots.  Honestly comparing the two is apples to oranges.
2017-7-22
Use props
HamdiR
lvl.2
Lebanon

Nikon 1 Posted at 2017-7-22 03:31
@Hollywood7 - there have now been 20+ posts since my post and there are strong opinions on both sides of your questions.

My experiences as someone who owns both a Mavic Pro and a Spark (FlyMore) both products have their strong points.  The Mavic is faster, has longer range and longer flight time, and has more choices in the video and photo outputs.  As someone posted, flying the Mavic does bring more attention to you when you are flying around neighbors or people who might be skittish.

i understand the matter of the mavic threatening look, i dont understand why DJI chose this look, its cool but not friendly

however i dont undestand why you keep yours at home, the mavic when closed is smaller than the spark
2017-7-22
Use props
fans4081c27a
lvl.1
United States

Ive had my spark appox 3 weeks and have yet to have any issue. I have the RC and have yet to have any connection issues. Love the spark and would highly recommend it.
2017-7-22
Use props
HamdiR
lvl.2
Lebanon

it all boiils down to the connection

do you want an insanely solid and a new tech for connection, where pilots called it the devil? or standard good old wifi and its fragility with interference

its that simple as far as i am concerned
2017-7-22
Use props
fans1e71c6dd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1742 ft
Ireland

No prob with my spark so far have it over 3 weeks now.so much fun to fly.
2017-7-22
Use props
orgfred65
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16201 ft
United Kingdom

Done 32 flights, going a total of 4900 meters according to DJIs flight records, with my flymore. 0 problems Totally delighted.
2017-7-22
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Spark is a toy compared to a "Mavic", and that is why I don't have much trust on the Spark as I do with the Mavic.  
2017-7-22
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lol, toy. Hardly.
2017-7-22
Use props
fans0056fba7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28045 ft
United States

I love my Spark , flys great , zero issues. The guys saying " The Mavic Rules" ..... forget that my spark cost half the price and performs amazing for personal use. If you are a professional photographer and looking for a drone, get the Mavic. If you are a weekend warrior who wants something fun to fly, easy to transport and with the ability to take great photos and video, Get the Spark for a fraction of the price.
2017-7-22
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155984 ft
Canada

Given my recent experience, I'd say the Spark is fine when connected to the RC, but don't trust gesture mode. As useful as that may be, the fact is, if it decides to fly away (as mine did) there is no way to stop it.

However, as a fast and easy to get flying drone, to snap a couple good pics, take some quick video, it was working really well, and suited my needs/wants well.
2017-7-22
Use props
edubble
New
United States

You're
2017-7-22
Use props
Konstantinos_an
Banned
Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-7-22
Use props
fansf7fa979c
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

sparktacus Posted at 2017-7-22 02:57
2 big negatives for me
- Battery life
- Top speed in default mode to get good video  (not sport) is slow

If you fly in a straight line in sport mode, the video comes out good. You might need a couple attempts to get a good shot. It works best when flying backwards. There are some shots you just can't get with the Spark, but if you think creatively, you can work around some issues.
2017-7-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules