adding a second battery bay on the inspire ?
2643 11 2015-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

Just a thought . Do you think it would be technically possible to add a bracket at the back of the inspire to take a second battery ? Spacewise and weightwise I think the inspire can handle this,  but finding a way to connect the second battery toghether with the main one would surely be a major task! You would have battery redundancy and double flight time ! Would be please to hear your comments
2015-3-22
Use props
marco
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1500794 ft
Austria

I guess It is not easy as the smart battery controls charge and discharge. But most importantly: you do NOT get double the flight time, at best you get a little more flight time because now your Inspire-1 is substantially heavier
2015-3-22
Use props
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

Thanks Marco, you are right, certainly not double, but I would assume at least 1,5 times the single battery....due to the extra 500 grams
2015-3-23
Use props
marco
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1500794 ft
Austria

alessandrobecca Posted at 2015-3-23 18:40
Thanks Marco, you are right, certainly not double, but I would assume at least 1,5 times the single  ...

The math behind flight time calculations is rather complex because you have think of the entire system not just the overall weight (propeller size and design, changing wire resistance due to higher heat caused by higher current flow, level of efficiency of all components change, etc.)  - almost nothing behaves linear ;)

If I had to guess I'd say you will not even reach 1,5 times the flying time.
2015-3-23
Use props
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

please see below pic of a parachute a french company has developed for the inspire.. my thought was to have a second battery bay there, instead of this !
inspire-parachute2-sm.jpg
2015-3-23
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

I reckon that DJI just need to manufacture new batteries with the wafer thin layer technology that has been invented in the UK.  With a battery compartment the size of the current, it should be able to stay in the air for days !!!  

I thinks its called Nano Glycine technology and is expected to be introduced into smart phones etc .  Research on the internet also indicates some batteries will have 30s recharge times.

Lets hope DJI can get some of that Inspiration and new technology into the Inspire batteries.
2015-3-23
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-24 01:26
I reckon that DJI just need to manufacture new batteries with the wafer thin layer technology that h ...

that would be awesome but we'd need bigger sd cards.
2015-3-29
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

markaguille Posted at 2015-3-30 06:41
that would be awesome but we'd need bigger sd cards.

Yeah, but thats the easy part.  You can get 128GB cards now.

Just unsure what the maximum card size the camera would take.  We know a 64GB card can be used but don't know if anyone has put anything bigger into the Inspire.
2015-3-29
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-24 01:26
I reckon that DJI just need to manufacture new batteries with the wafer thin layer technology that h ...

I thought that graphene capacitors are supposed to replace conventional batteries in the future... never heard of nano glycine technology and can't find anything on internet... what is that?
2015-3-31
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2015-3-31 18:26
I thought that graphene capacitors are supposed to replace conventional batteries in the future... ...

It was shown on a TV programme in the UK "The Gadget Show"  a few weeks/ months back,  so should be availble on the BBC iPlayer to watch again.

Anyway they showed this technoology being used on smart phones which allowed them to be distorted, curved without breaking the screen or battery as both the screen and the battery had been replaced with the new graphene layer technology .
Also found this on these :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/scien ... lphone-minutes.html

http://www.extremetech.com/extre ... -real-world-devices

This last link seems to infer that it is a Korean invention.  On the Gadget show, they were talking to scientists in the UK who had invented the technology and I am sure they said it would probably be availble from 2016.

It is based on using layers of this nano technology, which has the capacity to hold more charge, but provides a flexible product.

2015-3-31
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-31 19:29
It was shown on a TV programme in the UK "The Gadget Show"  a few weeks/ months back,  so should be ...

Yeap... that's the name Supercapacitors and they are made with graphene.
Replacing traditional batteries with graphene based capacitors would have great benefits, one of which would be that graphene is BIODEGRADABLE material. Fast recharge, flexible material, much lighter less volume for the same stored energy (thus higher capacity in the same size and weight)... and much more! All these are known for a very long time. What is relatively new is how to obtain graphene cheap! Take a pencil and rub it on a piece of paper. Use a small adhesive tape and tap the paper. Repeatedly stick and detach another adhesive tape to the graphite residue area stuck onto the first adhesive tape. In a very similar process, those scientists (or engineers) were able to produce graphene in a much cheaper way, thus enabling the mass-production of it. It has been almost 5 years since the discovery (2010) and yet no product on the market benefits from the discovery. I assume military equipment might already. In the meantime, enjoy this great video from Veritasium (subscribe recommended):

Regards,
Bogdan
2015-3-31
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

Lol and were all already complaining about the cost of the inspire batteries, LOL
2015-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules