Possible to downgrade from 02.00.0106? Tonnes of issues!
12Next >
4339 66 2017-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gyrex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Poland

Hi,

I unfortunately updated my P4 to v02.00.0106 and am suffering tonnes of issues. Motors sounding like they're off balance, gimbal rotating randomly showing the landing gear, massive reduction in usable distance, video switching off automatically, frequent video disconnections and the list goes on. Is there any way to downgrade from 02.00.0106 to the previous version?

I haven't really been that worried until now. I'm heading to the Maldives this week and I've spent a load of dough on luxury resorts and desperately need my P4 and this version isn't going to cut it. Any ideas?

Cheers.
2017-7-23
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

It's a great shame you didn't scan the forum for advice before updating - at least until you came back from such a great trip.  From what we read here now, frankly, you're stuffed.  There appears to be no way to downgrade the firmware once it's been corrupted ( I mean upgraded)
2017-7-23
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

However a few people, who had significant problems after the firmware change, did manage to get it working correctly again.  They used some combination of Assistant 2 and refresh to do this.  Search forum for more info.
2017-7-23
Use props
Pareja IV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1084961 ft
Spain

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2017-7-23 06:32
However a few people, who had significant problems after the firmware change, did manage to get it working correctly again.  They used some combination of Assistant 2 and refresh to do this.  Search forum for more info.

No, nothing works, we have tried but nothing fixes it
2017-7-23
Use props
F.KOK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18954370 ft
  • >>>
Namibia

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2017-7-23 06:32

Yes please tell me also how did they fix it. Thanks
2017-7-23
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

Blériot53 Posted at 2017-7-23 06:24
It's a great shame you didn't scan the forum for advice before updating - at least until you came back from such a great trip.  From what we read here now, frankly, you're stuffed.  There appears to be no way to downgrade the firmware once it's been corrupted ( I mean upgraded)

I stupidly upgraded on the day or day after  the firmware came out thinking I was getting some fantastic new features and a quick glance at the forum at the time revealed little to no issues. It wasn't until I took my P4 out for a test spin afterwards that all these damned issues cropped up.

I've been sitting tight for weeks waiting patiently for DJI to release a firmware to fix these issues but nothing has surfaced. I'll contact support tomorrow.

I'm flying out to the Maldives this week, so a fix before then would be ideal. I absolutely regret 'upgrading' since I just got back from Bora Bora and got some incredible footage and photos and my P4 was basically running perfectly on the old firmware. The fact that DJI won't allow downgrades is absolutely disgraceful, given how pathetic this firmware is. My unit is basically grounded. DJI have lost my confidence once again!
2017-7-23
Use props
fansa2c27898
lvl.1
Flight distance : 154121 ft

South Africa

I am also very unhappy with the new software as I can compare with the previous FM which worked beautifully for 8 months since I bought my P4.  With lots of effort I have my drone flying fine except for very poor RC signal, both vision transmission and radio signal.  We are all waiting for DJI to fix it somehow but nothing seems to transpire. Very frustrating, especially for users depending on DJI for commercial purposes.
2017-7-23
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

F.KOK Posted at 2017-7-23 06:44

This is what I found elsewhere.  No clue if it works.

=========================================================

Here's a way back that was posted on FB earlier today. Couldn't find the post again to give due credit to the individual who posted but it's below:
2017-7-23
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

I just called DJI 'support' (and I use that term loosely). After being a customer of DJI's for over 2 years, it's become abundantly clear that DJI are no longer interested in providing any responsible avenue of support for their customers. The support person I spoke to had the English comprehension of a goat and the technical support capabilities of an ice cream. At one time I was able to contact support people in Europe to be able to assist with my issues but now all calls are routed into somewhere in Asia to people who would be better equipped to handle technical support for dish sponges.
2017-7-24
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2017-7-23 17:54
This is what I found elsewhere.  No clue if it works.

=========================================================

In addition to the earlier firmware you may need an earlier version of the DJI Go4 App as well
2017-7-24
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansa2c27898 Posted at 2017-7-23 11:22
I am also very unhappy with the new software as I can compare with the previous FM which worked beautifully for 8 months since I bought my P4.  With lots of effort I have my drone flying fine except for very poor RC signal, both vision transmission and radio signal.  We are all waiting for DJI to fix it somehow but nothing seems to transpire. Very frustrating, especially for users depending on DJI for commercial purposes.

You have updated RC ? If so then try a re-linking to aircraft that may help.
2017-7-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

This situation has filled us with regret, we are sorry for the trouble you’ve been experiencing. We do not support the firmware downgrading at present.
For motors sounding like they're off balance, just to verify, is the drone hovering stably midair? If the drone can hover stably, I assumed that the motors work fine, or could you please provide a video for this case for a better confirmation.
Gimbal rotating randomly showing the landing gear, please try to calibrate the gimbal and make sure that it is at the central position, sometimes it is normal seeing the landing gear if the drone spins at a high speed.  
For video switching off automatically, frequent video disconnections issue, I would recommend that you can try to format the SD card and try to test again, of course, remember to back up the info on the SD card firstly.
Please keep us updated if the problem persists, thank you.
2017-7-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Pareja IV Posted at 2017-7-23 06:35
No, nothing works, we have tried but nothing fixes it

Could you please provide us with more details so we can help you with?
2017-7-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

F.KOK Posted at 2017-7-23 06:44

Could you please provide us with more details so we can help you with? Or please try to upgrade the firmware again via DJI Assistant 2, here's the tutorial for your reference:
2017-7-24
Use props
Pareja IV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1084961 ft
Spain

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-24 02:02
Could you please provide us with more details so we can help you with?

I have already provided all my flight logs to DJI Natalia, several days ago. Forget about any solution, the problem is the firmware itself. I know that You are trying to help us but refreshig, reinstalling, resetting to factory values and recalibrating is a total waste of time
2017-7-24
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-24 02:05
Could you please provide us with more details so we can help you with? Or please try to upgrade the firmware again via DJI Assistant 2, here's the tutorial for your reference:

DJI Thor, there are numerous posts from many owners complaining about the instability etc after the last firmware update. In another thread, DJI Natalia has indicated that a new beta firmware would be made available to resolve the problem and asked for volunteers. Unfortunately, one week later and no beta has been made available.  It seems that DJI does not have a consistent response to the instability problem. Some DJI reps are asking people to reflash their firmware, some are asking for more videos and some are indicating that a fix will be provided soon and are asking for beta testers. There is no clear message from DJI at all. What owners would really appreciate is a definitive statement fromDJI as to what is going on. Is there an imminent fix for the instability and video feed problems and, if so, when can we expect it? There must be hundreds, if not thousands, of DJI P4 owners who cannot fly their drones because DJI released faulty firmware. Is it really too much to ask for DJI to fix the problem that they created? Many of us have 1-2 thousand dollars tied up in a product which DJI has made unusable.
2017-7-24
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-24 02:03
This situation has filled us with regret, we are sorry for the trouble you’ve been experiencing. We do not support the firmware downgrading at present.
For motors sounding like they're off balance, just to verify, is the drone hovering stably midair? If the drone can hover stably, I assumed that the motors work fine, or could you please provide a video for this case for a better confirmation.
Gimbal rotating randomly showing the landing gear, please try to calibrate the gimbal and make sure that it is at the central position, sometimes it is normal seeing the landing gear if the drone spins at a high speed.  

Thank you for at least acknowledging that there's some serious issues with the firmware. What steps are DJI taking to fix these issues? I am spending in excess of $10K USD on a shoot in the Maldives this week and need a reliable platform for my work. At this stage, my P4 won't cut it with this firmware.

To reiterate, My P4 was working absolutely perfectly for 10 months since new. No/zero/zilch issues whatsoever. These issues I mentioned came about as soon as I upgraded the firmware.

The motor issue won't be picked up by a video. Yes, the P4 is somewhat stable when hovering but isn't as stable as it was on the previous firmware. You can hear strange sounds from the motors which didn't exist in the previous firmware - they almost sound like they're out of balance and that the motors are alternating spinning at higher speeds on either side of the craft. eg. motors spin fast on one side of the craft, then the motors on the other side of the craft start spinning fast while the motors on the other side spin slower. This alternates and it sounds terrible.

The gimbal issue never happened on the previous firmware. The P4 will be heading in a straight line, then the video cuts out briefly and I'm shown video of the landing gear. I am not yawing or turning at all - just heading in a straight line. IMU and gimbal has been calibrated 8-10 times.

Video disconnections: SD has been formatted a number of times. Range has been significantly reduced in this FW.

I initially updated the firmware via the GO app and have since reflashed the firmware 2-3 times using the DJI Assistant. I still have these issues.

I cannot tell you how frustrating this is on a number of levels:

1. To have a fully functional craft running perfectly for 10 months then turn into a brick because of a firmware update is incredibly painful. I updated on the day or the day after the firmware update and have been waiting patiently for a fix. I'm now desperate considering my upcoming shoot in the Maldives.

2. DJI's phone and chat support is significantly worse than it was 12 months ago. It's apparent that your support is now mainly based in Asia and there's no recourse to chat to native English speakers or 2nd level support in Europe and/or the USA. This used to be an option and the European support team were absolutely brilliant in fixing issues I had with my P3A. The support is effectively non existent now where you waste hours typing in chats or calling your Asian support centre painfully explaining your issues and your troubleshooting steps to a 'technician' who has very little to no comprehension either from a linguistic or technical point of view.

It's abundantly clear that DJI has divorced themselves from providing any real, deep level technical support and this is absolutely unacceptable considering the price of your products. Wasting hours of your time to be told "send it back for repair", when this is clearly a software issue and not hardware is shameful.

I sincerely appreciate your response but these issues need to be fed back to DJI because this *will* affect your customer loyalty and return business. At this stage I wouldn't buy another DJI product and having owned a P2, P3A and a P4; this should be very concerning for DJI as a business.

DJI must be some method of downgrading firmware for instances such as this where there are widespread issues post firmware upgrade. The fact that you've locked customers into this firmware and haven't provided any facility to 'fix' these issues by regressive to an earlier firmware is unacceptable.
2017-7-24
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

The other issue I forgot to mention was that my video would continuously stop recording automatically.
Here's a video of the P4's video stopping during flight. The camera system actually shuts down, fan stops and completely restarts. How am I supposed to perform my work with this if I can't record video? This is a basic function of the P4 which doesn't work!

2017-7-24
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

These are not my videos, but this is what I'm experiencing with the gimbal mid-flight:

2017-7-24
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

Again, not my videos, but these are the motor issues I was describing:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=389789

2017-7-24
Use props
F.KOK
Second Officer
  • >>>
Namibia

JockC Posted at 2017-7-24 02:23
DJI Thor, there are numerous posts from many owners complaining about the instability etc after the last firmware update. In another thread, DJI Natalia has indicated that a new beta firmware would be made available to resolve the problem and asked for volunteers. Unfortunately, one week later and no beta has been made available.  It seems that DJI does not have a consistent response to the instability problem. Some DJI reps are asking people to reflash their firmware, some are asking for more videos and some are indicating that a fix will be provided soon and are asking for beta testers. There is no clear message from DJI at all. What owners would really appreciate is a definitive statement fromDJI as to what is going on. Is there an imminent fix for the instability and video feed problems and, if so, when can we expect it? There must be hundreds, if not thousands, of DJI P4 owners who cannot fly their drones because DJI released faulty firmware. Is it really too much to ask for DJI to fix the problem that they created? Many of us have 1-2 thousand dollars tied up in a product which DJI has made unusable.

I totally agree with Jock and Pareja and a lot of other owners and I also posted locks and a video. DJI told you to upgrade. Not one of a Drone owner would have been upgraded if he knew that this problems  would arise. We were glad to get the new firmware after 6 months. Some are lucky that they don't have the instability or camera problems after the update, nobody seems to know why at this moment that just some Phantoms are effected, DJI can look at all of my 400 flights and 1500 km logs and will see that I did not have this problems before the update. I also use the Drone for farming purposes and inspection and after the update I can't. If I had not updated I could've go on as usual. I have tried every trouble shooting there is and will also try more to get the Drone function again. A lot of problems are user error but Really DJI this is not the case for a lot of owners especially for those who use it commercially. We asked you politely to look urgently into this matter and give us a reply on the situation please. Thank you and waiting to hear from eny body from DJI for a answer with integrity.
2017-7-24
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

Again, not my video but this is exactly what I was talking about re the motors appearing to 'run out of balance'...

2017-7-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Pareja IV Posted at 2017-7-24 02:15
I have already provided all my flight logs to DJI Natalia, several days ago. Forget about any solution, the problem is the firmware itself. I know that You are trying to help us but refreshig, reinstalling, resetting to factory values and recalibrating is a total waste of time

Really sorry for the inconvenience. I had contacted to Natalia, your situation had been transferred to our engineers and they are working on it.  Please wait patiently.
2017-7-24
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-24 04:55
Really sorry for the inconvenience. I had contacted to Natalia, your situation had been transferred to our engineers and they are working on it.  Please wait patiently.

When are we likely to see a fix? Is there a beta or some way to get our Phantoms working again? At this stage, our Phantoms are grounded and this is unacceptable without an immediate fix. DJI must acknowledge this widespread issue and at least allow a function to downgrade to the previously working firmware.
2017-7-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

JockC Posted at 2017-7-24 02:23

We are sincerely sorry for this situation. We collected volunteers account and transferred it to our engineers to ask for the beta firmware, our engineers were aware of this case and working on it. Issues should be located first and then resolved. We will keep pushing the engineer to escalate the process, and we also appreciate your patience of waiting.  
2017-7-24
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Found this link on PhantomPilots forum.  its a download for former firmware.  Some seem to think it helps for those who are bricked.

https://mega.nz/#!RnJEDSCY!b6Pl8 ... QPOAR4KGletwq2sX7sQ

Amother post says:

MAKE SURE YOU RENAME THE FILE SO IT READS dji_system.bin
2017-7-24
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2017-7-24 05:34
Found this link on PhantomPilots forum.  its a download for former firmware.  Some seem to think it helps for those who are bricked.

https://mega.nz/#!RnJEDSCY!b6Pl8 ... QPOAR4KGletwq2sX7sQ

Yep, been following it on the other thread - thanks for sharing!!!
2017-7-24
Use props
fans39704101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 265830 ft
United States

Well some of things I found totally screwed up after the upgrade on my P4

1. That fricken interference popup just never stops over and over and over. And I'm out in the middle of the desert and its doing it!
2. Seems they screwed up the aircraft speed when cruising I used to be able to about 15mph in GPS mode now it goes to 12 then 9 then 12 then 8 and you can see it stuttering when flying.
Never did this before at any time
3. In Sport mode seems to be way more responsive/jittery than it used to be

Did the full IMU and Compass calibration when the upgrade completed. DJI is starting to really turn into something I'm no longer interested in owning with these issues. Not even going to call support, dealt with them before and don't have it in me to deal with them again on the phone.
2017-7-24
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

What I find abhorrent about this whole fiasco is that DJI have remained absolutely silent while their customer base has had to resolve this firmware issue by posting files and instructions on how to downgrade the firmware. This solution should have been provided from DJI after the multitude of issues were experienced by their entire P4 customer base. This is truly unforgivable!

For anyone wishing to downgrade, the firmware update tool and firmwares v01.02.0503 & v01.02.0602 are available here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7qL_2msyzocay1Hc19QYjMtcW8

Run DUMLdore.exe, select the 503 firmware, flash it then do the same for 602. Enjoy your functioning P4 again. Shame on you DJI and your pathetic, non existent support!
2017-7-24
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

Full instructions on how to downgrade from failware to working firmware 602 here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-105986-1-1.html
2017-7-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

gyrex Posted at 2017-7-24 04:56
When are we likely to see a fix? Is there a beta or some way to get our Phantoms working again? At this stage, our Phantoms are grounded and this is unacceptable without an immediate fix. DJI must acknowledge this widespread issue and at least allow a function to downgrade to the previously working firmware.

Sincerely sorry for the inconvenience. We will help to escalate the process. Appreciate your patience.
2017-7-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

gyrex Posted at 2017-7-24 04:48
Again, not my video but this is exactly what I was talking about re the motors appearing to 'run out of balance'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sED_IWAn5bc

We had transferred this case to our engineers and they were aware of this and working on it. We will keep reminding the engineers to escalate the process. Please kindly wait patiently.
2017-7-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

gyrex Posted at 2017-7-24 03:06
The other issue I forgot to mention was that my video would continuously stop recording automatically.
Here's a video of the P4's video stopping during flight. The camera system actually shuts down, fan stops and completely restarts. How am I supposed to perform my work with this if I can't record video? This is a basic function of the P4 which doesn't work!

Just to verify, had you tried the original SD card to test this issue? Or please try another SD card to test if it would be the SD card's problem. And how about pressing the record button the RC, will it stay recording stable? Please let me know the result after your testing. Thank you.
2017-7-24
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-24 20:16
Sincerely sorry for the inconvenience. We will help to escalate the process. Appreciate your patience.

DJI Thor, The original beta testers had some problems and waited patiently for over six months before they received new firmware. When they did receive it, the new firmware appears to have caused more problems than it fixed. They, and the rest of us,  are now being asked to wait patiently, once again.
I believe that you, personally, do really care about the issues being faced by P4 owners but you should also be able to understand that owners are no longer prepared to "be patient" because they've seen the previous six months wait that it took to replace the faulty beta code.  
Does "please be patient" mean 1-2 days or 6-7 months?  
Does DJI understand that, for many owners, the latest firmware means we cannot fly our drones at all?  
Unfortunately, statements like "we are working on it" or "we are escalating the issue to the development team" mean very little to DJI owners these days. We have simply lost faith in the development team but, even worse, we are furious with DJI's unwillingness to even provide ANY details of when it might be fixed. Can you please provide a simple answer as to when you believe we will have a resolution?
2017-7-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

JockC Posted at 2017-7-24 21:29
DJI Thor, The original beta testers had some problems and waited patiently for over six months before they received new firmware. When they did receive it, the new firmware appears to have caused more problems than it fixed. They, and the rest of us,  are now being asked to wait patiently, once again.
I believe that you, personally, do really care about the issues being faced by P4 owners but you should also be able to understand that owners are no longer prepared to "be patient" because they've seen the previous six months wait that it took to replace the faulty beta code.  
Does "please be patient" mean 1-2 days or 6-7 months?  

I personally had not got an answer about when the beta firmware will come, and I would not lie to you. And I am really want to help to get things sorted, so I will always remind our engineers, I will reply once I heard from the engineers. At present, we are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience, still, need and appreciate your patience.
2017-7-24
Use props
F.KOK
Second Officer
  • >>>
Namibia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-24 22:38
I personally had not got an answer about when the beta firmware will come, and I would not lie to you. And I am really want to help to get things sorted, so I will always remind our engineers, I will reply once I heard from the engineers. At present, we are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience, still, need and appreciate your patience.

Thanks for your reply Thor but I totally agree with Jock.
2017-7-24
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-24 20:31
Just to verify, had you tried the original SD card to test this issue? Or please try another SD card to test if it would be the SD card's problem. And how about pressing the record button the RC, will it stay recording stable? Please let me know the result after your testing. Thank you.

It appears to me that nearly everyone who has upgraded has this problem including the people who have an aircraft that flies OK.  

On my P4 it sometimes records for 2 minutes before the video and gimbal appear to crash and reboot, sometimes it records continuously, it is unreliable, I never had a problem before the update.  I have reformatted the SD card, I have also tried a different type and speed of SD card, made no difference.  Changing from 4K 30fps resolution to 1080 60fps appears to make it more reliable.  My aircraft flies nicely.  
2017-7-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-7-24 23:56
It appears to me that nearly everyone who has upgraded has this problem including the people who have an aircraft that flies OK.  

On my P4 it sometimes records for 2 minutes before the video and gimbal appear to crash and reboot, sometimes it records continuously, it is unreliable, I never had a problem before the update.  I have reformatted the SD card, I have also tried a different type and speed of SD card, made no difference.  Changing from 4K 30fps resolution to 1080 60fps appears to make it more reliable.  My aircraft flies nicely.

Sorry for the inconvenience. So when you upgraded the drone and controller to the latest firmware, video recording will continuous stop, and you had tried the original SD card and another SD card to test this issue, right? If so, I will also submit it to our engineer for a further investigation. I'll reply you once I heard from them. Thanks for the feedback and wait patiently.
2017-7-25
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-25 01:56
Sorry for the inconvenience. So when you upgraded the drone and controller to the latest firmware, video recording will continuous stop, and you had tried the original SD card and another SD card to test this issue, right? If so, I will also submit it to our engineer for a further investigation. I'll reply you once I heard from them. Thanks for the feedback and wait patiently.

Before the upgrade it recorded OK.

After the upgrade to the latest firmware it still records but sometimes it stops recording, maybe 1 in 3 times I record it will stop, normally after 2 or 3 minutes, the fan stops and restarts and the gimbal appears to reinitialise, same as shown in the video in the post above.  If the aircraft is flying it keeps flying but the video has stopped recording.  I am using 4K 30fps resolution, in 1080 it is a lot more reliable.

First time I tried it was still using the original card with video files still on the card. Since then I have tried formatting the card and tried with a different and much faster card.  I know the cards work in other cameras and worked in the P4 before the firmware upgrade.

There are a lot of people reported this problem, including people who say their aircraft flies OK.

It would be good if DJI could list the problems that are being looked at so that we know if we need to report new ones or if we should just wait for them to be fixed, there are too many posts about problems with the new firmware for us to read all of the posts and understand what is happening...
2017-7-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

fans39704101 Posted at 2017-7-24 06:02
Well some of things I found totally screwed up after the upgrade on my P4

1. That fricken interference popup just never stops over and over and over. And I'm out in the middle of the desert and its doing it!

For the interference and speed of the drone, could you please sync your flight records and provide me with your DJI account so I can check more about this?
2017-7-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules