Spark and Controller do not connect or link! Heat Problem?
3899 2 2017-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans60479417
New
Flight distance : 4347 ft
United States

Hi Guys,

I've been having trouble connecting the controller with the Spark.

All works fine when the drone is cold, I can link the controller and it works. After a couple of minutes (even without flying) the drone gets warmer and warmer. Ultimately it loses the connection to the controller. In this state I can restart the drone and/or the controller and they will no longer connect. I can even try re-linking them.. this also fails. Nothing works.

If I let everything cool down everything seems to work again for a few minutes!

The Spark has been an incredibly frustrating experience thanks to this issue. I can't say I'm 100% sure that the heat is the issue, but I'm absolutely sure there is something terribly wrong and the Spark and Controller get into a state where they simply will not connect or link. This happens even when the drone is simply on and sitting on the ground... but it also happens mid flight which is much more scary of course.

I have clearly received a melon!   How many other people are having the same issue?

I have tried requesting a refund but have been denied because it tooke me 3 weeks of tinkering until I got to the spot where I was sure it was not my problem and I had tried absolutely everything and analyzed the problem in detail. Now I hope for a replacement.

2017-7-23
Use props
Byrd's Loft
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48320 ft
United States

Yes. There are several people having that same issue and threads discussing just this probkem. To me, it seems to be related to the 5.8gHz radio channel.
It definitely happens to me when the devices heat up. Someone has suggested the oscillator may not have adequate heat compensation which makes sense to me as the frequency could drift off when it gets warm, resulting in a comm disconnect.
Today I forced the Spark-RC link to 2.4 and then connected phone with the (unsupported) OTG cable to avoid using 5.8 and things went very smoothly. No disconnects.

There is a new firmware supposedly coming soon so hopefully DJI has a fix.
2017-7-23
Use props
niclasb
New
Flight distance : 4347 ft
United States

Byrd's Loft Posted at 2017-7-23 17:49
Yes. There are several people having that same issue and threads discussing just this probkem. To me, it seems to be related to the 5.8gHz radio channel.
It definitely happens to me when the devices heat up. Someone has suggested the oscillator may not have adequate heat compensation which makes sense to me as the frequency could drift off when it gets warm, resulting in a comm disconnect.
Today I forced the Spark-RC link to 2.4 and then connected phone with the (unsupported) OTG cable to avoid using 5.8 and things went very smoothly. No disconnects.

Indeed a little more research on the forum and I've found this: https://forum.dji.com/thread-100633-1-1.html

Doesn't specifically mention heat (which is just my theory), but there are definitely a lot of people who are having trouble linking the remote to the spark.

Funny thing is, it appears DJI knows about this problem. If you watch DJI's own tutorial about linking the remote to the spark it mentions "if the linking fails several times... contact support"

2017-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules