D.I.Y Windsurfer VS Purchase Windsurfer ! Which better?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kevinisme
lvl.1
Flight distance : 123822 ft
Malaysia

Test between DIY Windsurfer VS Purchase Windsurfer , do you think purchase range booster windsurfer is better ? the answer is not really...

2017-7-23
Use props
Siambuddhas Gro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116926 ft
Singapore

try the cheapest alt first... cos i am sure u will like to upgrade to 2 antenna flight soon~
2017-7-24
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Kevin,

That was an interesting test.  About as equal as you are going to get.  DIY is sounding very attractive about now.

I built my first parabolic and then found a set of two for $10 (US) so I bought them.  They just looked better and there were two of them for my P3 Pro.  But, that DIY one worked real well, so I can see your point.

Do remember that those parabolics do block signals outside of the directionality of the parabola.  You can easily lose the signal if you turn away, so do not turn away for more than just a couple seconds.  Three seconds and the Phantom will RTH!

Good job, good demonstration.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

The one on the right is not right.  The bottom is too close to the antenna.  
2017-7-24
Use props
Kevinisme
lvl.1
Malaysia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-7-24 02:02
The one on the right is not right.  The bottom is too close to the antenna.

when demo the parabolics  is not close to the antenna..
2017-7-24
Use props
Kevinisme
lvl.1
Malaysia

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-24 01:03
Aloha Kevin,

That was an interesting test.  About as equal as you are going to get.  DIY is sounding very attractive about now.

so you using DIY or bougth 1?
2017-7-24
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kevinisme Posted at 2017-7-24 21:08
so you using DIY or bougth 1?

Aloha Kevin,

Both!  But the Windsurfers I bought were so cheap ($10 and of that $1 was for shipping) and they are so well made that I use them regularly.  Here is a Thread I started when I first started using them.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-60563-1-1.html

They are a very inexpensive way to do so much like range increase, jungle penetration, etc.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Besides the obvious problem with the antenna on the right, the test doesn't have much validity because it's using at least one deflector tuned for a 2.4 ghz antenna.  Since the P3S has a 5.8 ghz control signal antenna, the test is kinda goofy.  

Edit:  Oh, it's your vid.  haha sorry.  You apparently didn't know that DIY deflector is designed for 2.4 ghz.  No offense intended.
2017-7-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Okay, I'm sorry, I need to backtrack on my last post.  I've been in emails with the guy who, in 2003, designed the DIY windsurfer shown above.  I've misinterpreted the sentence on his page that says Six inch reflector pattern at 2.4 GHz.  I thought he was referring to the windsurfer template pattern below the statement, but it seems he was actually referring to the radiation pattern above the statement.  He says the windsurfer reflector will work just fine for both 2.4 ghz and 5.8 ghz.  In fact, he says, and I quote:  

The Ez 12 [DIY windsurfer] will work better at 5.8 gHz than at 2.4 gHz.  It would work better still if it were a different shape and maybe I need to design that one and put it up there.  Thanks for making me think on it.  The focal point of a parabolic antenna is NOT frequency sensitive as many will sometimes say.

In addition, I've read in another thread over a year ago from an experienced radio guy that a corner antenna will work better than a windsurfer.  I asked him about that and he agrees.  He says his DIY EZ10 corner antenna will out-perform the EZ12 windsurfer, and the EZ10 is specifically designed for 2.4 ghz as he clearly indicates.  The problem with the 2.4 ghz corner antenna is it's so BIG and it's necessarily big to accommodate the nature of 2.4 ghz.  So realistically, to use it I think we'd have to mod our controller to get the stock omni away from the rest of the controller.  That's the advantage of the EZ12 is it's relatively small and compact.  

My understanding is a 5.8 ghz corner antenna would be smaller - roughly half as big.  So maybe it would fit easier for those using 5.8 ghz.   So it seems if you have a P2V series, a P3S, or a P4 series with the 5.8 ghz option, a 5.8 ghz corner antenna might fit the bill very nicely.  

It's interesting to me that there isn't a single corner antenna out there on the commercial market for a UAS controller (that I've seen), and yet it outperforms the windsurfer.

I've made both the EZ12 and the EZ10, and it seems the EZ10 does out perform the EZ12 when I attach it to my actiontec router.  I've compared, and my smart TV gets a stronger signal from my router with the EZ10 - even through four walls and a bunch of kitchen appliances.  

If you're interested in this kind of stuff, take a look at www.freeantennas.com

My humble apologies to the OP, Kevinisme.

2017-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules