"Small Helicopter crashes into house".

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/heli ... ntral-florida-home/
2015-3-22
Use props
bostonlines
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1045558 ft
United States

Thanks for the article. Not sure how it's relevant to the Inspire though.
2015-3-22
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

The R44 is an ACTUAL helicipter, not a drone.
2015-3-22
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-23 15:57

That's what I thought Jim and I'm trying to figure this out.
If I spent 40k on a real heli it's ok to fly over houses and roads but if I buy a 4k 6lb heli some guys go ape chit seeing a video over houses or  roads? We are ALWAYS seeing news vids of small planes and helis crashing into neighborhoods, about 1 per month to be fair. I have yet, in 20ys of rc flying seen a news clip of an rc plane or heli crashing into neighborhoods and killing folks. Why is it ok to threaten neighborhoods with my full sized Cessna but not my foamy Cessna?
2015-3-23
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

double post - this site has a few bugs too - lol
2015-3-23
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Fair point!
2015-3-23
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

WORD ... !!!
2015-3-23
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

I'll tell you what, as of right now, I have every right to use the airspace 400ft and lower, and I plan on doing just that! The idiot that was flying ABOVE the news choppers had every right to be at that location, just NOT above 400ft. If the news teams can scramble their jet helis and use the airspace to get footage of a rollover, I sure as hell can too! There are rules at an airport that keep aircraft from colliding into each other. There are also rules in place to keep RC under 400ft, and manned aircraft above so they never meet. So as far as im concerned, if something newsworthy goes off on my scanner and it's within my range, I'm on it. I'm gonna use my 400ft of airspace to get my footage and as of right now, no one can tell me differently. So I hope the whiners out there will finally clam up, and I hope the idiots out there breaking the rules will finally stop.
(of course neither one of those things will happen, but it's always nice to dream).
2015-3-23
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

bostonlines@gma Posted at 2015-3-23 15:18
Thanks for the article. Not sure how it's relevant to the Inspire though.

How 'bout now?
2015-3-23
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 309606 ft
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-3-24 05:43
I'll tell you what, as of right now, I have every right to use the airspace 400ft and lower, and I ...

The FAA will just love your attitude, Bob.

"Attitudes" will do non of any good in these formative years of UAS regulations.

As a result of holding a commercial pilot ticket for a half century, I CAN tell you who will WIN if there is a contest of attitudes.
2015-3-23
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

rfrye Posted at 2015-3-24 06:01
The FAA will just love your attitude, Bob.

"Attitudes" will do non of any good in these formative ...

What the heck are you talking about !!!
It's my right to fly, I am following the RULES, I am Responsible, and Fully Insured, ......... and until the rules change why the heck can't I?

YOU are from the EXACT group of folks I was talking about, good grief - (where's the barfing emoticon)?

Here's one -
2015-3-23
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-3-24 06:17
What the heck are you talking about !!!
It's my right to fly, I am following the RULES, I am Resp ...

That's my point. There are no rules as of today. Everything we have seen are "proposed rules" ...and they are thinking of going to 500'

If you think you are "fully insured" with a UAS, I'd suggest you read your policy a little better.
2015-3-23
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

rfrye Posted at 2015-3-24 06:42
That's my point. There are no rules as of today. Everything we have seen are "proposed rules" ...a ...

You are talking SPECIFICALLY about Commercial use, and I am NOT, (I never mentioned commercial even once) -
2015-3-23
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-3-24 06:46
You are talking SPECIFICALLY about Commercial use, and I am NOT, (I never mentioned commercial eve ...

FAA is considering rules for ALL UAS - even hobby.
2015-3-23
Use props
marinik
lvl.3
Flight distance : 459127 ft
Canada

I vote for you Bob  ....  rfrye,..rfrye...rfrye....oh my G...
2015-3-23
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

rfrye Posted at 2015-3-24 06:51

considering !?!  The FAA has been "considering" chit forever.

You keep talking about past and future, and I'm talking about the PRESENT.
I am spending my money right now, and I know the rules as of right now, and I'm going to use them.
Back in the day if you belittled me like this to my face, you would be nursing a swollen nose.
(but we're talking about the present in this thread now, aren't we)

So which part of "right now" are you not understanding?
Please go ahead and read it again. Then go ahead and demean me some more, (I won't rebuttal you again, u have started my ignore list).

"I'll tell you what, as of right now, I have every right to use the airspace 400ft and lower, and I plan on doing just that!"

And if and when the rules change, I will have zero problem following them. just like I have all my life -
2015-3-23
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

oops in what year are we in
2015-3-23
Use props
bostonlines
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1045558 ft
United States

still not relevant.  you really can't compare a cessna to an inspire or any other UAS.  flying a cessna requires about 40 hours of training in addtion to all of the ground school and all other necessary instruction.  flying an Inspire requires a credit card.  
2015-3-23
Use props
mtnred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91811 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-3-24 07:51
considering !?!  The FAA has been "considering" chit forever.

You keep talking about past and fut ...

Guys ,Please keep things nice .We all have different views and both of you are right but from different view points .I love this board and respect you both .Do not take it to this level . Keep calm and carry on !!!!!
2015-3-23
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-3-24 00:46
That's what I thought Jim and I'm trying to figure this out.
If I spent 40k on a real heli it's ok ...

Robinson 44 is not a cheap heli, a guy down the road has one and the all in cost to operate, insure and of course purchase one is a $750,000
2015-3-23
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

You know that here in Canada the Inspire is 1.2 kg to heavy to legally fly in a ( built up area) that means houses, buildings or gathering places like stadiums. And you can't fly within something like 200 feet of people? Just guessing on that. But it's a long way. You can't legally go to the soccer feild and fly if anyone else is on it. So really, in Canada there are very few places in cities you can legally fly an Inspire.
2015-3-23
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-24 14:29
You know that here in Canada the Inspire is 1.2 kg to heavy to legally fly in a ( built up area) tha ...

Dangair At least in Canada we have CLEAR rules... FAA is still "pondering" and listening to lobby groups
2015-3-24
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

Nice post. I see your point. The FAA also has alot of effect on other countries. This whole discussion lead to my country's aviation authority also to consider banning drones. I'm not to concerned bc it takes ages for them to agree on something and even then they have very little to enforce their rules. I think it's fair letting pilots take test, even mandatory if you read some idiots crash reports, but banning is ridiculous. Also in my country safety doesn't seem like such a big issue compared to privacy. Like I would take out an inspire to go 'spy'  on someone lol.
2015-3-24
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

Dangair, gotta love canada! We had an idiot here flying a phantom 3-10 ft above partying people and later posting the vid everywhere online. There are a lot of irresponsible things people fail to recognize while they're just doing their thing. Only once does it need to go wrong to spoil it for everyone. So somehow I know al those canadian regulations seem like a pain in the **s, but they're also protecting your right to fly and preventing serious accidents.

Just look at the guy landing on the white house lawm. That single incident immediately imposed a no fly zone above Washington, ridiculous!! 1 idiots actions decide the faith of all future pilots!
2015-3-24
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Correct Jim. I watched that on MSN.com yesterday and it was the real deal. Not a RC.
2015-3-24
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

You know folks, there will be other restrictions imposed on drones and some are already in place but not clearly defined in the the current regulations. Here is one that most people don't know.... It is unlawful to use an aircraft of any kind to hunt, no person shall take up arms against wildlife within 24 hours of being in or operating an aircraft. This will be an issue as hunters will most certainly use this technology for searching out game. The other obvious application is for crop rippers... People that hunt for marijuana crops and then steal them. There are so many possible uses for UAVs that spying is just the beginning and almost the least important to human activity.
2015-3-24
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

I live in the Shuswap, the simple mention of the name implies pot. My biggest concern is flying my aircraft any time after July. The hills and backyards are stuffed with dope and guns are everywhere. There is a very real possibility of my quad be shot from the sky and it has nothing to do with privacy. It has to do with criminals. Every year the helicopters do the route across the mountain sides in search of worthy crops to trash, once they spot them they send out the quad squad, cops on quads, to find them and destroy them. They then leave business cards on the trees with the words... " If you have any questions or concerns please contact the RCMP at..... )" so I have to be careful not to piss off the locals with my Inspire!
2015-3-24
Use props
kneverett
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

rfrye Posted at 2015-3-24 06:51

Actually, the LAW - not the rules - codifies a very specific set of rules for "hobby" use and explicitly cites the FAA can't infringe on that.
2015-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules