Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
To Fly or Not To Fly on 3rd battery?
1493 35 2017-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MarkDeLo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27372 ft
United States

Decisions, Decisions.  I've read numerous threads here that talk about failures when flying on an extra purchased battery.

I have purchased the Fly More Spark.  Flown numerous flights on the included 2 batteries.  Today, my 3rd battery arrives.  Purchased via DJI Store on Amazon.  I'm actually scared to fly with it after all I've read.

Any concrete evidence about issues with additional batteries?
2017-7-25
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

if it were me i would fly it at minimum altitude above tall grass for the duration of that particular battery the first time i use it!
2017-7-25
Use props
JoeCec
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fly it!!
2017-7-25
Use props
Zirconn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242920 ft
Romania

The last two new batteries I flew over a suspended carpet, in the garden. Looking back, it was kinda stupid
2017-7-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Do not worry, there will be reminder in DJI GO 4 if something goes wrong. You can check the detailed information in the battery interface. Alternatively, in case that emergency circumstances may appear, verify by using the original battery will be helpful. Take care when you test the performance.
2017-7-25
Use props
French Spark HK
lvl.2
Hong Kong

I have 4 batteries and fly with 4 batteries all the time with no issues
2017-7-25
Use props
Cravenfan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125256 ft
United States

French Spark HK Posted at 2017-7-25 04:53
I have 4 batteries and fly with 4 batteries all the time with no issues

I bought a 3rd battery after my two from the Fly More Combo and I have no idea which one is the one I bought after the fact.  Never had an issue...fly it with confidence.  

My personal belief, although there could be some issues with some units is that mostly its lack of knowledge, preparation and planning that have caused a wide % of any Spark issues.  Also, this is a very small % of pilots that are having the issues, however the most vocal of the bunch.  

Could my Spark do a splash down in the water, could it fly off never to return, could a bird attack it...all possible.  But, try and fly without fear, if you have done your prep work ahead of time and understand all the nuances of the product.  

Rock and roll...
2017-7-25
Use props
Zirconn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242920 ft
Romania

DJI Susan, you have an entire thread of people that had their drones falling from the sky. If the battery cuts the power, there is no warning in the logs. Now, if the next firmware starts logging more battery information, that's a different story but at the moment, at least some of the people who know about the falling drones are trying to protect their toys by flying low and not over water/place that make the drones hard to recover or with high risk of incurring damage.
2017-7-25
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

People who will tell you to fly:
-DJI staff
-People that do not have issue (Or not yet have issue)

People who tell you not to fly:
-People got their Spark crash
-People not yet have issue but realize there is a chance issue happen (DJI just themselves told me that they are investigating the issue --> Which means even their engineers do not know what is the problem)

After all, you paid for it, so why not use it. I would do the same, but if something happens to my aircraft, this would be the first and last product I buy from DJI. (even though $700 for a lesson is not cheap)
However, try to minimize the risk, if you see something unusual, do not fly, re-fresh firmware and recalibrate everything. It is a good idea to test fly a few times in you house or your garden (There is nothing silly about that). Even you have test flied, there is no assure that it will not fall. Some guys confirmed their aircraft just...fall, no reason, and they did use the same battery with no problem before...Really regret now, wish I didn't buy this product...

Until DJI got some satisfying answer for the fall, I see no reason to support them...
2017-7-25
Use props
kasei
lvl.2
Flight distance : 118399 ft
Germany

i got two extra batteries with my green combo and no problems with crashing.

with about 40 recorded flights and 10 of them till batteryswap i just had minor problems (like connection quality, range, lowlight imagesabil.) never got a battery heat warning or drastic happen.
a normal session ill use two or three batteries and keep one for backup, but flown four at least once. i dont keep track of them an charged them multiple times.

i got once a disconnect with succsesful RTH (own stupidity: CE, woods, 5G,no cable,rangetest),
once a compass error midflight with no disruption (normal after restart),
once a sd card error and had DJIGO crash one time on my android (honor 6x) but without porblems, rc still worked
2017-7-25
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

I fly my 3rd battery all the time without a problem.  Go for it and enjoy it!
2017-7-25
Use props
Evel Knievel
lvl.1
Flight distance : 539852 ft
United States

I've got four batteries and haven't had a problem at all. (Knock on wood.)
2017-7-25
Use props
Frangu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19849 ft
United States

i just bought 2 new batteries from DJI hoping not have this issue already lost one drone.
2017-7-25
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I flew with my purchased 3rd battery this weekend with no problems.   
2017-7-25
Use props
wobbles
lvl.4
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

i have 4 batteries and fly one after anoother with no problemes , in the time it takes to switch battery off take out stick new one in start up and reconnect , and have never had a PROBLEM ..got batteries from jessops
2017-7-25
Use props
pingywon13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 63724 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-7-25 04:32
Do not worry, there will be reminder in DJI GO 4 if something goes wrong. You can check the detailed information in the battery interface. Alternatively, in case that emergency circumstances may appear, verify by using the original battery will be helpful. Take care when you test the performance.

Warning as your Spark plummets to the ground?

LOL DJI you make me laugh. I have been on this forum for a week or so and I am well aware of the "3rd batt issue" and you come along just oblivious to anything going on around you....must be nice!
2017-7-25
Use props
Roli6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 589528 ft
  • >>>
Austria

I have 2 batteries from the fly more combo, and 2 more batteries from local store, never had a problem flying them in a row.
2017-7-25
Use props
Sportbike*Pilot
lvl.2

United States

I also have 3 batteries and use throughout the course of flying with no issues whatsoever.
2017-7-25
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

3rd battery used here with no issues as yet. In fact I've no idea which are the originals and which is the extra. Any way of telling?
2017-7-25
Use props
DroneinMI
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27536 ft
United States

I have 6 battery's and never had a problem. However, I always let the Spark "rest" five minutes between flights when changing out the battery.  The issues you hear about are most likely the Spark overheating if your flying multiple battery's and not letting the Spark cool down.
2017-7-25
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

just as preventative measure, i suggest refreshing firmware with the new battery charged and in the spark when you do... use DJI assistant 2 app on the desktop to refresh it.  

also do a preflight check lock it in, tug at it and make sure its secure and not slightly misaligned or misfitted..   and on first few flights keep it closer..just incase...  once you feel confident enjoy it to its fullest.  
2017-7-25
Use props
NewGramps
lvl.1
Flight distance : 115112 ft
Malaysia

FWIW, my limit seems to be the battery life of my iPhone when connected to the RC. I have three Spark batteries and have had no issues with any of them. But after using all three sequentially, my phone battery is about done.
2017-7-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

pingywon13 Posted at 2017-7-25 09:47
Warning as your Spark plummets to the ground?

LOL DJI you make me laugh. I have been on this forum for a week or so and I am well aware of the "3rd batt issue" and you come along just oblivious to anything going on around you....must be nice!

I understand your concern. Our engineers are looking into issue. We are sorry if it bothers you. In case that there is any crash with no reason, we would like to collect all data and forward to the designated department to find the exact reason and optimize. We will appreciate your suggestion and feedback.
@Zirconn, Our engineers are aware of this and they are trying their best to find the root cause. Thanks for your attention.

2017-7-25
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3055210 ft
Australia

So, why on earth would there be ANY difference between the batteries that come with the spark and a battery you buy separately?

Please explain.
2017-7-25
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sime Posted at 2017-7-25 21:00
So, why on earth would there be ANY difference between the batteries that come with the spark and a battery you buy separately?

Please explain.

there is a trend seems to be [vaguely] linking the sparks that are  falling from the sky and second or third batteries not included with packages..   

we cannot say for sure, but there seems to be a link somewhere..
2017-7-25
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Australia

Conspiracy theories. The only real reason this could happen would be if the supplied batteries come from a different supply, and that all the batteries are made from 2 places, after sales and spark sales.

Does not compute.
2017-7-25
Use props
Byrd's Loft
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48320 ft
United States

Convert Posted at 2017-7-25 09:57
3rd battery used here with no issues as yet. In fact I've no idea which are the originals and which is the extra. Any way of telling?

Look at the battery information in the DJI app. You can see how many times battery has charged and also the serial number. Should be able to reason out which is the newer one. I put stickers on mine to make sure I rotate through them evenly.
IMG_20170708_125526_138.jpg
2017-7-25
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

Impressive levels of geek on those stickers :-)

All my batteries arrived in the same box and I put all 3 on the charger at the same time so that won't help. I have been rotating through them depending where they are stored in the bag but some stickers/marks to make sure they get used a similar amount each would be a good plan. I might also belt and braces refresh the firmware on the spark 3 times with all 3 batteries just in case.....or at least to that when the next firmware arrives.
2017-7-26
Use props
Kloo Gee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Byrd's Loft Posted at 2017-7-25 21:31
Look at the battery information in the DJI app. You can see how many times battery has charged and also the serial number. Should be able to reason out which is the newer one. I put stickers on mine to make sure I rotate through them evenly.

Your stickers are way fancier than my sharpie markers. I originally bought the Fly More Combo.  I marked those as 1 and 2 with a sharpie.  I then ordered 2 more and marked them as 3 and 4 with the sharpie.  I use all 4 batteries regularly and haven't had any battery related issues.

I think people are putting too much faith in their correlation of "the 3rd battery".
2017-7-26
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Australia

Well I've got a third battery in the mail……………
2017-7-26
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Canada

Sime Posted at 2017-7-25 21:23
Conspiracy theories. The only real reason this could happen would be if the supplied batteries come from a different supply, and that all the batteries are made from 2 places, after sales and spark sales.

Does not compute.

not necessarily, it could be an issue in the same facility but for that particular batch, QC/QA was not properly completed, process equipment could be slightly deviating from its task and ,for example making the physical connection from the battery to the drone a little smaller than it is supposed to causing the drone to disconnect (physically) and lose power. there are countless reasons in the process that could cause this issue.
2017-7-26
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Australia

I agree, but all those issues you mentioned will be affecting all batteries, being in the combo or not. Unless there's a particular batch/timeframe of combos with good batteries, but instead this has to do with ALL combo sales since release, then it's not a simple as a batch error issue.
2017-7-26
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Canada

Sime Posted at 2017-7-26 02:31
I agree, but all those issues you mentioned will be affecting all batteries, being in the combo or not. Unless there's a particular batch/timeframe of combos with good batteries, but instead this has to do with ALL combo sales since release, then it's not a simple as a batch error issue.

there's no way to know that information. there most definitely could be a batch/time issue. working in the processing industry i have seen these things happen. programming could be messed up or anything. i have a fly more combo and mine works perfectly. it is not affecting all batteries...yet. if it does affect all then yes, you are correct.
2017-7-26
Use props
pingywon13
lvl.4
United States

Thor1 Posted at 2017-7-26 02:46
there's no way to know that information. there most definitely could be a batch/time issue. working in the processing industry i have seen these things happen. programming could be messed up or anything. i have a fly more combo and mine works perfectly. it is not affecting all batteries...yet. if it does affect all then yes, you are correct.

I agree. I mean imagine how large these batches are. DJI could have had literally 500,000 batteries made to ship with the Spark and the flymore pack and since then are having more produced for independent sale.

I think you are spot on here sir. Im not sure what doesnt "compute" for the others....
2017-7-26
Use props
pingywon13
lvl.4
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-7-25 20:08
I understand your concern. Our engineers are looking into issue. We are sorry if it bothers you. In case that there is any crash with no reason, we would like to collect all data and forward to the designated department to find the exact reason and optimize. We will appreciate your suggestion and feedback.
@Zirconn, Our engineers are aware of this and they are trying their best to find the root cause. Thanks for your attention.

I am not personally offended, but I also do not own a 3rd battery yet and wont until I feel this is resolved.

My "problem" is DJI acting like they do not know what is going on. Accountability is all we are asking for. Stop treating us like 3 year old and playing stupid.

DJI Reps do not know the RC wifi password. The other rep is acting like they do not know there is a battery problem. It is fine if DJI doesnt want to acknowledge a battery problem...but do not act like you do not know what a user is talking about when they bring it up.

ACCOUNTABILITY! ....THAT is what I ask for and you saying "our engineers are looking into it" is the first time I have seen any accountability from DJI. so thank you for that.
2017-7-26
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Canada

pingywon13 Posted at 2017-7-26 06:33
I am not personally offended, but I also do not own a 3rd battery yet and wont until I feel this is resolved.

My "problem" is DJI acting like they do not know what is going on. Accountability is all we are asking for. Stop treating us like 3 year old and playing stupid.

Not knowing and being held in suspense is always the worst. like should we still fly?... should we not fly?

I understand that DJI can't tell us that info but at least give us regular updates. we are share holders in a way!

2017-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules