Use of app without range extender
7414 29 2015-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wesselvanerp
New

Netherlands

Hello,

It is probably a stupid question, but I'm really new to this. So hopefully you'll understand my situation.

Is it possible to use the app without a range extender? The features of my Vision+, as shown on the website, suggest that's possible. But when I want to connect the drone to the app using the manual, it says you have to use the range extender.

What am I doing wrong? Is it possible to use a GoPro Hero for wifi? I really want to use the app, because it has some awesome features.

Thanks in advance.

Hoeksteen
2015-3-23
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

If you have a vision + then why don't you want to connect to the range extender ?
If you don't have a vision + then you cant use the vision app.
I am confused What Phantom model and camera do you own ?
2015-3-23
Use props
wesselvanerp
New

Netherlands

Maybe it's my fault, but i have a Phantom Vision without a range extender. The camera I use is a GoPro Hero 3.

Is it possible I don't have a plus edition? It's not my drone, but the guy that lent it to me said it was a plus edition.
2015-3-23
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

wesselvanerp@ho Posted at 2015-3-23 19:07
Maybe it's my fault, but i have a Phantom Vision without a range extender. The camera I use is a GoP ...

What is the model number on the bottom of the transmitter and the Phantom?
2015-3-23
Use props
wesselvanerp
New

Netherlands

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-23 19:15
What is the model number on the bottom of the transmitter and the Phantom?

I'm sorry, but I'm not at home right now and I won't be until next Saturday or Sunday. So I can't answer it right now.
2015-3-23
Use props
BWJ
Second Officer

Denmark

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-3-23 18:18
If you have a vision + then why don't you want to connect to the range extender ?
If you don't have  ...

Both vision + and vision works with app. !
2015-3-23
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

You need the extender in order to gain app access since the extender and Phantom need to be bound to  enable the communication something you cannot do if you directly connect to the hidden network coming from the Phantom/Camera.
2015-3-23
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

BWJ Posted at 2015-3-23 23:46
Both vision + and vision works with app. !

Yeah I know, the OP said he had the Vision +
2015-3-23
Use props
isaiahbrock7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98934 ft
United States

Don't ever use the go pro WiFi. It can interfere with the transmitter and cause a fly away.
2015-3-23
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-3-24 00:09
Yeah I know, the OP said he had the Vision +

The OP has multiple contradictions in his posts.  OP states Vision +, second post of the OP says Vision with GoPro 3.
So in the end it's anyone's guess until more clarification is available.

2015-3-23
Use props
wesselvanerp
New

Netherlands

PanamonCreel Posted at 2015-3-24 00:55
The OP has multiple contradictions in his posts.  OP states Vision +, second post of the OP says V ...

I'm sorry! I'm really new to this, so hopefully you understand my situation.
2015-3-23
Use props
wesselvanerp
New

Netherlands

PanamonCreel Posted at 2015-3-23 23:59
You need the extender in order to gain app access since the extender and Phantom need to be bound to ...

So.. This seems that I can't use the app because I don't have a range extender? Is that true?
2015-3-23
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

Yes, the Vision app connects to the range extender on the Vision or Vision + transmitter only.
2015-3-23
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

wesselvanerp@ho Posted at 2015-3-24 02:19
So.. This seems that I can't use the app because I don't have a range extender? Is that true?

If it is a vision or vision +  then yes you need the extender.
If it is a Phantom 2 non vision with Gopro then you won't be able to use the DJI vision app
2015-3-23
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

wesselvanerp@ho Posted at 2015-3-24 02:19

Maybe to help those trying to help you, please see this thread,
It really helps cut down on speculation...
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... =Please&lang=en
2015-3-23
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

I may be missunderstanding as well but here is a link on how to use a router as a range extender for your P2 vision.

Like others have said, the info privided is a little off
2015-3-25
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Wes,
Maybe best you post the exact model you have and even better with pictures or something as has been asked!
We Need Info.PNG
2015-3-25
Use props
wesselvanerp
New

Netherlands

Ok. I will post them this sunday. Is that ok by you?

Anyway thank you all for helping me!
2015-3-25
Use props
bradreid20
lvl.2
Canada

You can connect your phone directly to the phantom.  The trick is to set your ip correctly.

1) First the camera network ssid is not broadcast so you'll need to figure out its name.  The dji app show the camera ssid.
2) The phantom scans its network every 30sec and pings 192.168.1.2 (extender)  if its not there it resets.
3) Configure your phone to connect to the hidden camera ssid, configure its ip as 192.168.1.2 and you can fly without the extender.

Its worth setting up your phone to connect to the phantom.  If you ever lose your phantom its easier to try find a connection with a phone (if you are close) because you don't have to be pointing directly at it.
I got about 600ft range with my phone.
2015-3-25
Use props
crash1sttime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

have tried many times to connect directly to camera and the app fails to bind, I used the name as shown in the binding section but my phone wifi refuses to connect to it, even setting a manual ip resulted in failure
2015-3-26
Use props
wesselvanerp
New

Netherlands

Hey guys. I have some pictures from my model:

I just need to know:
Is it possible to use the app without having a range extender. If yes, how?
2015-3-29
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

The P330Z is a basic Phantom 2.
Not the Vision version so NO you can not use the Vision app.

For reference my V+ is a PV331 Version 2
2015-3-29
Use props
wesselvanerp
New

Netherlands

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-3-29 16:59
The P330Z is a basic Phantom 2.
Not the Vision version so NO you can not use the Vision app.

Ok, thank you! And when i buy a range extender, will i be able to use the app then?
2015-3-30
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

No you will not be able to use the Vision app with the basic Phantom 2.
The range extender connects to the Wi-Fi unit either inside the Phantom (V+) or contained inside the camera housing (V), you do not have this so buying the range extender to fit on the transmitter will do nothing...

And to answer your next question, NO the vision app ONLY works with the VISION range of Phantoms...
2015-3-30
Use props
wesselvanerp
New

Netherlands

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-3-30 19:35
No you will not be able to use the Vision app with the basic Phantom 2.
The range extender connects  ...

Ok thank you! That's everything I wanted to know.
2015-4-1
Use props
AeroMechAZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42497 ft

United States

I just acquired a Phantom 2 Vision from an Amateur Radio friend who said that when he tried flying it, it almost flew away from him (see below); it's got the Range Extender, and the camera seems to work for both pictures and videos from the SD card, but the app (DJI Vision) doesn't seem to be connecting and I can't see anything on the app from the camera.  I have the camera set to "WiFi On".  The app also won't allow me to set the RTH altitude and the binding fails when I try to do that.
Does the iPhone need to be connected to the Range Extender via cable, or is there something I'm missing?

It seems to fly well; I only took it up about 10' agl and hovered and maneuvered a little - pretty windy that day, so I didn't go up very far, and it was just a 'test' flight anyhow (I don't have a lot of flight experience, but I do have more than my friend does - I used to have a P3S, a Mavic Pro and a Hubsan Zino 1 [H117T]; I'm guessing he didn't have it in GPS mode, but ATTI mode, which is possibly why he had a hard[er] time controlling it).
2023-9-12
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

First ask yourself if you are sure you want to go to all the trouble and expense of getting the flight app to work correctly on such an old drone.  You also have the RID problem coming up.  You can fly without the flight app.  You can record video by manually pushing the button on the camera.  

It's a wifi connection between the mobIle device and the range extender, not a cable connection.

You can change the RTH altitude with the DJI PHantom 2 Vision Assistant software which would be installed on your PC.  Connect the Phantom to your PC with a usb cable.  Turn on the battery in the Phantom.  Start up the program.  This will enable you to change the RTH height, calibrate the IMU, and do other fun stuff.  

Re the flight app, I don't think a modern iPhone will work correctly with such an old system.  You likely need an old mobile device to play nicely with the old system.  An Nvidia Shield K1 will work well.  They don't make them anymore, but you can still find them used on eBay.  But you likely have other problems with that old drone such as the wifi module not working correctly.  You likely need to flash the NAND chip inside the wifi module.  

But first, get a mobile device that you know will work correctly.  Then bind the camera.  Then see if you have FPV, which you probably won't due to the NAND needing to be flashed.  

Good luck
2023-9-13
Use props
AeroMechAZ
lvl.2

United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 9-13 02:34
First ask yourself if you are sure you want to go to all the trouble and expense of getting the flight app to work correctly on such an old drone.  You also have the RID problem coming up.  You can fly without the flight app.  You can record video by manually pushing the button on the camera.  

It's a wifi connection between the mobIle device and the range extender, not a cable connection.

The controller doesn't have a "holder" (for lack of the correct term) for a tablet, just for a phone.  Any other phone suggestions that might work?

What's the best way to flash the NAND logic gate?  I've already connected the drone to my computer and used the DJI Phantom 2 Vision Assistant to set the RTH height (I normally use ~80' agl), and calibrate the IMU and the sticks and switches, as well as did an upgrade on the Range Extender (it 'claimed' it was "successful").

2023-9-13
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

AeroMechAZ Posted at 9-13 06:02
The controller doesn't have a "holder" (for lack of the correct term) for a tablet, just for a phone.  Any other phone suggestions that might work?

What's the best way to flash the NAND logic gate?  I've already connected the drone to my computer and used the DJI Phantom 2 Vision Assistant to set the RTH height (I normally use ~80' agl), and calibrate the IMU and the sticks and switches, as well as did an upgrade on the Range Extender (it 'claimed' it was "successful").

You need to buy an aftermarket tablet holder.  

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html? ... controller&_sacat=0

Here is a NAND flashing tutorial for the FC200:

Note that the RID problem has been pushed to March 16, 2024.  FAA Extends Remote ID Enforcement Date Six Months | Federal Aviation Administration

Good luck

2023-9-14
Use props
AeroMechAZ
lvl.2

United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 9-14 02:35
You need to buy an aftermarket tablet holder.  

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html? ... controller&_sacat=0

Yeah, I think the FAA's going to go the way of the FCC (at some point) when they (FCC) did away with CB licensing.  Obviously isn't going to happen right away, but I do think it's going to happen.  Same with the current FCC imposing a $35 licensing fee for Amateur Radio licenses (new, renewal or Vanity call signs only - upgrades are still free).

Thanks for that video, BTW, very informative and I've been in contact with Justin via email about where I can get the TTL module, etc, and have installed his program on my other laptop (the one I intend to use for the camera repair when I finally get the funds for it.  I did find my (very) old iPhone 5c, running iOS 10.3.3, so that's well before v12.0 that Justin mentions in the video.  I did get the app installed (after forgetting my Apple ID & P/W, but I finally got it changed, and now all is well).

Hopefully, when I get the repair done, it'll (the drone) make a nice gift for one of my friends (I don't plan on keeping it, but would like whoever I give it to - I got it free, after all - to have something that they can use, and not a piece of junk).

2023-9-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules