Screws Too Tight
5706 15 2015-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

Hi all, wondering if anyone has had a similar problem that i'm having taking my shell off.  i am able to get the hex screws off but the phillips head screws (the single ones at the end of each shell arm) are too tight.  i believe that DJI put thread locker or something on them prior to putting them in.  im using a 00 size screwdriver but i can tell with with the proper forces applied (more pressure down than turning) that it is still slipping and likely going to strip if i apply the kind of pressure it seems like it is going to take.

of course this concerns me because if i strip it i have no idea what i'd do at that point and i really would like to get my shell off for a few reasons.  any thoughts on this (welcome both thoughts on the problem and info if others have had this similar problem).  
2015-3-23
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

When I took mine apart, I took the hex screws out first and then couldn't get the end Phillips screws out.  I had to put the hex ones back on to take the bending pressure off the end screws to get them out.  I did have to drill off 1 head because I had stripped out the Phillips head.
2015-3-23
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

thanks guy, i thought about that after i had taken off the hex screws (that the forces applied were then totally on the screws) so i put the hex screws back on and tried again but that didnt seem to matter.  im sort of at a loss as to how anyone (even DJI or a certified repair reseller) could even do this wihtout stripping.  bummer that i cant take the shell off and have several reasons i really need to.  sigh.
2015-3-23
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-23 19:59
thanks guy, i thought about that after i had taken off the hex screws (that the forces applied were  ...

It takes a 00 size Phillips.
2015-3-23
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

when you say drill off one head, can you elaborate on that?  what size bit did you use and once you drilled off the head, how did you then get the screw out.  
2015-3-23
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-23 20:01
It takes a 00 size Phillips.

yes, 00 screwdriver is referenced in the OP
2015-3-23
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-23 20:02
when you say drill off one head, can you elaborate on that?  what size bit did you use and once you  ...

The drill was almost the size of the head,  I just drilled enough to go through the head and not into the plastic.  When I got the top off, there was about 1/8th of an inch of the screw sticking up and a small needle nose pliers could grab that and turn it out.  Since then I have bought a complete set of replacement screws for about 5 bucks.
2015-3-23
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

do you happen to have a link to the screw replacements
2015-3-23
Use props
adrianjacobs
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I tried to get those screws out the other day and gave up.  They're just too tight.  I wanted to open it up to check the GPS wire plug is secure, and to check the no-version ESC and wiring soldering and security.

If I strip the heads and drill out the screws, etc, and then had a problem, I'm guessing Dji would not honour any warranty.  But, if I have problems with any of those things causing a crash or worse, a flyaway, I then have no evidence to present with a claim.

Catch 22!
2015-3-23
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

adrianjacobs@nt Posted at 2015-3-23 20:13
I tried to get those screws out the other day and gave up.  They're just too tight.  I wanted to ope ...

You can buy replacement packages of screws for the complete phantom on amazon or ebay and probably other phantom repair websites.
2015-3-23
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-23 20:07
do you happen to have a link to the screw replacements

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-PART ... hash=item1c4708ea80

This is the one I ordered
2015-3-23
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

adrianjacobs@nt Posted at 2015-3-23 20:13
I tried to get those screws out the other day and gave up.  They're just too tight.  I wanted to ope ...

When you drill the head, do it slowly so you don't drill into the plastic. Then the top shell will lift off and you can grab the short stub left of the screw and turn it out with pliers.
2015-3-23
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

I stripped only one and was able to take it off by using bigger size screwdriver (0). To avoid stripping use high quality screwdriver and press really hard to get it loose, specially very first time.
2015-3-23
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.3

United States

I had to use a belt sander to remove the very tip of my new size 0 Phillips. Even after refitting the tip---I needed to apply tremendous downward force to the screwdriver for the first few turns. ( I actually held the bird vertical, so I was using a sideways force.)
2015-3-23
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

bird, thats exactly what i did too, had it sideways in my hand so i could get the right pressure angles.  but i still couldnt make it turn.  my 00 driver is very small so ive ordered anohter one with a larger handle hopefully i can get better torque with it while pressing.  thanks for the response.
2015-3-23
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

My Phantom included a spares kit in the accessory box with the prop wrench. It had 2 of those small screws along with a bunch of other ones.
2015-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules