OTG cable- Why?
7620 29 2017-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry, probably a dense question. Losts of talk here about use of OTG cables between smartphone and remote. I'm trying to establish why I'd want to do this. An iphone7plus user who has not yet experienced any of the miriad of issues reported here. Are people using this to overcome issues or to proof themselves from potential issues? And are the main issues the OTG cable overcomes disconnection between remote and smartphone using wifi and also extending the range of the remote to the spark by removing interference from the phone?
2017-7-25
Use props
mtnlandpix
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I have wondered the same thing.  Wifi works great with my iPhone.  Is it just an Android thing?
2017-7-25
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

I have an iphone 6 and so far i have no problems either and i have flown over 30000 feet all together
2017-7-25
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use my OTG to keep video lag at a minimum
2017-7-25
Use props
Natesac
lvl.2
Flight distance : 252526 ft
United States

Having tried flying with and without OTG cable, I can say there are some pros/cons.

Pros: Solid connection from phone to remote. The video stream is always a higher resolution AND most importantly lower latency. The video stream has noticeably less lag.

Cons: It's obviously not supported by DJI at this time (fingers crossed they embrace it and fully support it) MANY settings of the DJIGO4 app are forgotten each time you turn off the controller.

RTH within 20m settings and function button settings are forgotten each time you connect over OTG.

The wifi channel settings are disabled when connected via OTG.

So it really is a tradeoff when connected via OTG. Personally I prefer OTG for the reduced video lag, but it means I have to spend a few more seconds every flight checking my settings.
2017-7-25
Use props
figuren9ne
lvl.1
Flight distance : 71165 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm an iOS user with an iPhone 7 Plus. The OTG cable provides a more robust video connection. I can fly further without lag or the video cutting out than I can through wifi.
2017-7-25
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155984 ft
Canada

I use Android, Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra, and havent had issues one way or another. OTG gives maybe slightly less lag, but I only find it noticeable when tilting the camera. I only use OTG if I am in an area where there is a chance my Wifi may disconnect and default to a different network (such as, at home).
2017-7-25
Use props
Frangu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19849 ft
United States

i have an iphone 6s and i had a flyaway happen.
2017-7-25
Use props
Aerial Ant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1249715 ft
United States

I've had experience with and w/o the cable and in my opinion it's a difference like night and day. Solid video connection and alot of unexpected errors have basically stopped with the cable. Without the cable you'll need to keep the bluetooth off and that helps some if you've never done so. Go on Amazon and buy a mavic pro cable (the non-OEM is about 10 USD) and try for yourself.
2017-7-25
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

Because a physical connection is always >> than wifi.  
2017-7-25
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I think the majority of us using an OTG Cable much like this one (http://amzn.to/2tASA9Y) are DJI owners who own a Mavic or a Phantom also, with the spark being a secondary drone. I think this is the case because we know just how fantastic the feed response is from the Phantom or Mavic and just how instant the footage is.

On the other hand, if the spark is your first drone, it will feel amazing to you, no matter what, because it is an amazing little drone, just compared to the Mavic or phantom the feed is not as 'responsive', by using a OTG cable myself, I can say that the latency is greatly improved because a wired connection is always more reliable and faster than a wireless.
2017-7-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I don't use OTG tried it makes no difference to anything for me, haven't lost signal between RC and phone no problem with video feed no problem with advertised distance. Using iPhone 7.
2017-7-25
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

OTG does a few things...  first and one of the biggest things is it doesn't compete with the wifi on the remote and with the drone.. having the cable as communication from phone/tablet to the remote and the remote not fighting for spectrum space helps increase reduce them!.   range and decreases localized interferences...   it wont remove problems entirely... it just helps with reducing problems.   OTG works with iPhone, ipad and android devices.   just make sure you get micro usb to (whatever connection is on your phone/tablet)

some reports it is being removed, i dont think is a smart move by DJI, likely they aren't removing it..more likely isolated connection issues, either poor cable (or poorly aging cable) or a new bug in app.
2017-7-25
Use props
Cavids
lvl.3
United States

major video lag with wifi, non with the cable
2017-7-25
Use props
djiuser_SRES3Qt
New
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-7-25 10:09
I use my OTG to keep video lag at a minimum

Which OTG cable do I buy that is compatible with connecting to iPhone?
2017-8-24
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Natesac Posted at 2017-7-25 10:14
Having tried flying with and without OTG cable, I can say there are some pros/cons.

Pros: Solid connection from phone to remote. The video stream is always a higher resolution AND most importantly lower latency. The video stream has noticeably less lag.

"RTH within 20m settings and function button settings are forgotten each time you connect over OTG."

Have not had that! Function buttons working fine since custom setting.

"The wifi channel settings are disabled when connected via OTG."

That seems to be a Spark issue:
Switch it off, it is always, even only connectedvia wifi, before, back to 5.8 and Channel 149.
I changed today only to 157,  off/on AC, back to 149.
I really doubt, that the OTG has any to do with it
2017-8-24
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

djiuser_SRES3Qt Posted at 2017-8-24 06:20
Which OTG cable do I buy that is compatible with connecting to iPhone?

In general it would be a "normal" (good quality is my guess) OTG cabel, that fits the micro USB port.
Plus a fire to USB cabel.
For testing probably the data cabel that you use to charge your iphone
2017-8-24
Use props
dezign999
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27297 ft
United States

The video delay is very very minimal by comparison to WIFI.
2017-8-24
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have used OTG as my primary connection between phone and RC because (preceding the most recent updates) every flight with wifi, Every Flight with Wifi, EVERY FLIGHT WITH WIFI (get the point?) experienced connection issues.  I'm running android, and admit this could be specific to that platform.

I tested one wifi flight post latest updates (pushed on the 21st), and this was the very first flight I have ever done with my drone that didn't have any connection issues.  I have wanted to test this more extensively and confirm that the wifi issues have been addressed.  I found that one flight to be very promising.  If I can gain enough confidence in the wifi connection I'll ditch the cable.
2017-8-24
Use props
mtnlandpix
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-24 07:22
I have used OTG as my primary connection between phone and RC because (preceding the most recent updates) every flight with wifi, Every Flight with Wifi, EVERY FLIGHT WITH WIFI (get the point?) experienced connection issues.  I'm running android, and admit this could be specific to that platform.

I tested one wifi flight post latest updates (pushed on the 21st), and this was the very first flight I have ever done with my drone that didn't have any connection issues.  I have wanted to test this more extensively and confirm that the wifi issues have been addressed.  I found that one flight to be very promising.  If I can gain enough confidence in the wifi connection I'll ditch the cable.

I have used WiFi exclusively and never had a problem with my Spark.  The Spark does seem to perform better as to speed and stability since the updates.  I do use an iPhone however.  I realize that Android phones can be a hassle.  I am a Realtor, and we use electronic lockboxes that are activated by cell phones.  iPhones have not had any issues with the boxes; Androids have had numerous issues.  I suppose because so many companies manufacture Androids, there can be lots of differences in how they interface with other devices' software.  (my 2 cents worth for the day)
2017-8-24
Use props
dposea\
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18419 ft
United States

OTG is required for upgrades.
2018-5-28
Use props
DipeshN
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15397 ft
United Kingdom

What a mixed review, looks like we need a vote to see which ones better  With or Without OTG
2018-5-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

As of the moment, the purpose of using an OTG cable is for our DJI Goggles however for you to maximize the usage of our spark we're recommending the Wi-Fi connection between the remote and mobile device, kindly ensure that you're getting enough GPS signal,IMU and compass are calibrated,everything should be updated and kindly avoid any interference so that you could b able to fly your aircraft properly
2018-5-29
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Because it works
2018-5-29
Use props
skan
lvl.2

Spain

Why using an OTG and not a regular USB one?

Do you connect the OTG (master) on the DJI side or on the phone side?

I'm considering to get one of this cables to avoid the problem of the battery discharging because the remote supplies power to the phone. And I thought maybe if I use an OTG cable with the phone as master it won't draw power from the drone.

2018-6-27
Use props
JimboHUN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37156 ft
Hungary

Hi,

I have tried OTG a few times but my RC settings remained the same (I mean the 2 function buttons), though one is always the default setting, the other one I reset once  and it remains the same apparently.

I am on a not too strong Android with GO 4.2.12 and the OTG cable helps a lot as I experience a lot of lag.

I will try a stronger phone and also an iPhone 6 soon to see if things are getting better with the lag.

Cheers.
2018-6-27
Use props
JimboHUN
lvl.4
Hungary

Aerial Ant Posted at 2017-7-25 12:39
I've had experience with and w/o the cable and in my opinion it's a difference like night and day. Solid video connection and alot of unexpected errors have basically stopped with the cable. Without the cable you'll need to keep the bluetooth off and that helps some if you've never done so. Go on Amazon and buy a mavic pro cable (the non-OEM is about 10 USD) and try for yourself.

Hi,

I have a genuine DJI Mavic OTG cable but it is too short to properly connect my Spark RC and phone.

Just my 10 cents in case anyone plans to buy one for the Spark.

Cheers,
2018-6-27
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3

For me it's mostly a convenience thing.  It's a lot quicker to just plug in a cable than it is to go into my phone settings, find the drone WiFi, wait for it to connect to the drone WiFi, put my phone in Airplane mode to ensure no outside interference, etc. so it trims the process down to being just a few seconds.  Plus the added benefits of better video feed and a more stable connection.  I love my OTG cable, one of the best accessories I've bought for my Spark.
2018-6-27
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

If you are on Android, use DJI GO 4.2.12. OTG works like a charm - extremely solid.
This is one release where DJI claimed in release notes that they improved OTG - and they did.
Another option is DJI GO 4.1.15. This one however, while working with OTG fine, was not stable on my LG G5.

Any other DJI GO versions on Android do not support OTG - some things may work and some will not.

Mirek
2018-6-27
Use props
JimboHUN
lvl.4
Hungary

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-27 07:56
If you are on Android, use DJI GO 4.2.12. OTG works like a charm - extremely solid.
This is one release where DJI claimed in release notes that they improved OTG - and they did.
Another option is DJI GO 4.1.15. This one however, while working with OTG fine, was not stable on my LG G5.

I can only second that - 4.2.12 on Android works like a charm

Cheers,
2018-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules