Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
are you afraid to fly your SPARK
1234Next >
12735 154 2017-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
moh_rafiudeen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 328957 ft
United States

till now i havnt faced any flyways or falling from the sky! rightnow im confident as im still controlling spark with virtual joystick.
2017-8-3
Use props
djiuser_oUn3550
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50187 ft
United Kingdom

Quite scared to hurt someone and also lose £700...yes
2017-8-3
Use props
Yeaz13
lvl.2
Flight distance : 146263 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flying Wolf_NOL Posted at 2017-7-26 05:39
Well, it may surprise you that I don't disagree. If they could all be made to disappear with the wave of a hand, I'd be all for it. However, the criminals will always have them.

The can of worms has been opened here for a long time. In my city, there are multiple shooting EVERY day!  I don't like it either. However, we're left with no choice but to fight fire with fire.

Looks like WW3 maybe missing a nuke or two.....
2017-8-3
Use props
Yeaz13
lvl.2
Flight distance : 146263 ft
  • >>>
United States

Zirconn Posted at 2017-7-28 11:22
Post firmware update, knowing that they added more battery status logging, probably in other places too, I fly it without fear. Also, I'm a drone noob so in the beginning, I was very cautious. Now that I've learned the ropes, I'm enjoying it a lot more. If it crashes, they will fix/replace it.

You hope they will replace it.....
2017-8-3
Use props
lookslikeanevo
lvl.1
United States

im afraid to update the firmware i do ok flying it hahah
2017-8-3
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'll admit to one fear...  the Spark dropping from the sky.  I've seen enough posts and videos to believe that it's a real issue.  While I was originally inclined to believe pilot error, I'm now suspecting that there's something to it.  Since my primary use case is photos while boating, I have strong concerns of the Spark losing power and ditching in the water.  If such were to occur, I will not be able to recover it.  My hope would be that if I am able to demonstrate careful and safe flying (my logs should demonstrate such) DJI would honor the warranty even if I cannot recover the craft.

My next hope would be that if DJI is unwilling to replace craft that cannot be recovered, DJI would advise all of us early and clearly to only fly in a manner that would allow recovery of the craft (never over deep water).  I would be disappointed, but I would at least know that DJI is aware of the problem and is advising us in a manner that allows us to adjust our behavior.  At this time I believe that flying over water is not an abnormal or prohibited use case, and DJI has not conveyed any information which would lead me to believe that I should be concerned with flying over bodies of water.
2017-8-4
Use props
Flying Wolf_NOL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345827 ft
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-4 07:46
I'll admit to one fear...  the Spark dropping from the sky.  I've seen enough posts and videos to believe that it's a real issue.  While I was originally inclined to believe pilot error, I'm now suspecting that there's something to it.  Since my primary use case is photos while boating, I have strong concerns of the Spark losing power and ditching in the water.  If such were to occur, I will not be able to recover it.  My hope would be that if I am able to demonstrate careful and safe flying (my logs should demonstrate such) DJI would honor the warranty even if I cannot recover the craft.

My next hope would be that if DJI is unwilling to replace craft that cannot be recovered, DJI would advise all of us early and clearly to only fly in a manner that would allow recovery of the craft (never over deep water).  I would be disappointed, but I would at least know that DJI is aware of the problem and is advising us in a manner that allows us to adjust our behavior.  At this time I believe that flying over water is not an abnormal or prohibited use case, and DJI has not conveyed any information which would lead me to believe that I should be concerned with flying over bodies of water.

I agree completely.  Many of the 'flyaways' can be explained by compass failures. I find the compass on this UAV to be particularly sensitive (for some reason.). I'm not saying that's the cause of every flyaway, but most reports start off with "I just calibrated the compass."

The AC falling out of the sky is completely different. The logs just show that the unit powered off. That's not something you can do from the RC. So, why are these units not being replace under warranty?

Like you, I won't fly over water until the reports of sparks falling out of the sky stop showing up.  
2017-8-4
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Flying Wolf_NOL Posted at 2017-8-4 08:10
I agree completely.  Many of the 'flyaways' can be explained by compass failures. I find the compass on this UAV to be particularly sensitive (for some reason.). I'm not saying that's the cause of every flyaway, but most reports start off with "I just calibrated the compass."

The AC falling out of the sky is completely different. The logs just show that the unit powered off. That's not something you can do from the RC. So, why are these units not being replace under warranty?

I actually intend to continue flying over water unless DJI tells me that this use case is not recommended.  I expect them to honor the warranty for all normal use cases.  Of course my expectations and plans don't mean diddly squat.
2017-8-4
Use props
Flying Wolf_NOL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345827 ft
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-4 08:41
I actually intend to continue flying over water unless DJI tells me that this use case is not recommended.  I expect them to honor the warranty for all normal use cases.  Of course my expectations and plans don't mean diddly squat.

There are at least 3 posts (that I've read) where the user lost their spark in water. DJI did NOT replace the aircraft in those cases. They offered a 30% discount on a new unit. That's it. I haven't read where anyone who didn't have the drone to return to them got a replacement under warranty.

I could have missed it, but I haven't seen anyone report that to date.
That's why I won't fly over water until this gets worked out.   The latest update had to be applied to all batteries. So, maybe the problem has been fixed. There was no mention of what was being updated in the batteries nor has there been an announcement from DJI about the issue.

I've been watching this situation closely as I live in Louisiana - it's mostly water!  So, my spark is very limited at this point.
2017-8-4
Use props
Its_Big_Dee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 266024 ft
United States

No fear I've gotten comfortable with taking it out further now
2017-8-4
Use props
Zirconn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242920 ft
Romania

Yeaz13 Posted at 2017-8-3 12:14
You hope they will replace it.....

I don't fly over lakes (tho I would love to) and places I can't recover the drone from if it falls. Fly-away, yes, that would be tricky but I take my precautions.
I think I have 15km in the last two days
2017-8-4
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 274327 ft
United States

Flying drones over water is risky... regardless of which drone you're using unless it's the Spash Drone which is designed to take off from and land in the water.

I have an older P2 and had a couple of close calls... I once tried to have th drone follow us In the tender going to a real scenic place a couple of miles away but end up loosing connection halfway over... no idea where the damn thing was until I realized it was probably doing an RTH. Except that I had launched from th tender and they d be nothing for the P2 to land on. Rushed back as was able to regain control when close to the home point and prevent it from making a water landing.  There was a couple of tense minutes where I was moving  th drone one way while my girlfriend was driving the tender the other way when I finally grabbed the P2 I looked at the crude P2 telemetry and saw battery 1%

Another close call was with a Mavic pro, I was landing on the boat swim platform and a combination of gusty winds, anchor swing and pilot error let the Mavic hit a line... it was saved inches from the water by a crew member with good reflexes.  Lessons learned I now only land at the bow where there is far less turbulence ...
2017-8-4
Use props
Innerchains
New
Flight distance : 233238 ft
Estonia

Thought I would share this little bit that happened.
I have around 40 flight with my spark so far and the last one got me worried.

I was in sub-urban area when taking off with 18 satelites so fairly good gps signal.
Before take off it automatically set the home point and I was off.
Went about 90m in altitude and around 70m in distance, I was taking pictures and looking around when
I noticed my spark started heading randomly towards the city center.  I used return home around
200m away but nothing happened, still flying away from me.
At around 400m RC lost signal and I could not track it on the map, so I hopped into my car and headed to the last point it was on my map.
For my luck I did establish connection again and was able to locate, follow it.  
Spark landed with 4% of battery life and it was 1100m away from my home point.  

I am only guessing that something had to go very wrong with gps.

All the best with your sparks .
2017-8-6
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

When drone is getting a problem with GPS - try to use navigation in car or phone. Maybe someone nearby is using gps jammer.
In fact yesterday was big KP indes, so GPS and electronics in overall may got issues.
2017-8-6
Use props
fansf0c8663d
New

New Zealand

Wow guys i am getting my spark in the post tomorrow and all this stuff you guys are talking about is making me not want to take it out of the box !!
2017-8-7
Use props
jksphoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
United Kingdom

fansf0c8663d Posted at 2017-8-7 00:57
Wow guys i am getting my spark in the post tomorrow and all this stuff you guys are talking about is making me not want to take it out of the box !!

Me too. Mine is waiting at my office, can't try it till I return from my trip.  Very nervous to unbox it.
2017-8-7
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

my answer is now 100% yes.
2017-8-7
Use props
Boja
New
Malaysia

Have anyone have problem that when your spark take off from the ground, it became uncontrollable (cannot land). It as if it is flying by its own. Mine does that 3 times already, and it stops by crashing at walls.
2017-8-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Boja Posted at 2017-8-7 06:11
Have anyone have problem that when your spark take off from the ground, it became uncontrollable (cannot land). It as if it is flying by its own. Mine does that 3 times already, and it stops by crashing at walls.

Have you got full gps lock i.e. 10/12 sats minimum.
2017-8-7
Use props
Dave-r
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1214 ft
United Kingdom

Boja Posted at 2017-8-7 06:11

had mine about a month,latest firmware no problems with flying with this firmware or last only things
that don't work are dronie and helix.

great little  drone,sorry you guys are having problems.
I calibrate the compass every time I fly and always wait for for the home point to be

updated and I'm away mostly in sports mode to have some fun.
if I need video I use my mavic or phantom 3 pro.

https://store.dji.com/guides/dos-donts-drone-flying/
2017-8-7
Use props
HomePoint
lvl.4
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For those worried who have Sparks coming in next few days or are just about to open one, just fly it like it was a new drone, take it step by step and enjoy the learning experience.  The main issue you will have is probably just connecting the controller or the phone wifi, but there are plenty of different threads and videos giving all sorts of advise on that.  Enjoy, its worth it.
2017-8-7
Use props
Palomino
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47346 ft
United States

MarkDeLo Posted at 2017-7-25 14:01
Scared, but I have DJI Care that makes me a bit less scared.

They unfortunately won't cover a vast number of issues. Power cuts over the water or any other inaccessible area and you can't recover it? You're out of the cost of the drone package plus DJI Refresh.
2017-8-7
Use props
fansc22a7c69
lvl.1
Flight distance : 105115 ft
Canada

Just a response to this thread.   

I am a dam good pilot and drone tech.  You have to be......period.   All this...fly out of the box.....no experience necessary.....pure marketing and highly irresponsible.

I have had vision 2,  own P3A with over 350 flights......no crashes or serious issues.    Have flown in big cities in Europe, off mountain peaks here in Whistler, B.C. Where I live.  Up rivers in the wilderness at max range.  Calibrate every flight,  hell I even calibrate my IMU. On my pool table.....very level.

Just got Spark a week ago.  Results from camera alone were terrific, very happy.

Fourth flight.....ascend to 300 feet,  set Spark  to Pano, get shot.

Instead of just down stick I decide on RTH.  Spark headed south, never saw it again. Using controller but no controls allowed me to pause autonomous  event.

DJI Support......five stars,  all records forwarded,  determined to be warranty claim, all good and resolved in eight days.

My advice to all Spark or Mavic owners.  Use OTG cable for direct hardware  connection when using remote.  This ain't "Lightbridge' kids!    Test,  test,  test and in a big field.  Install GPS tracker on Spark. Make sure to buy DJI Care(59 bucks,),,     I am getting with my new one.

Apart from that it is a great machine....being able to backcountry Ski into  wild areas with a drone in a pocket is excellent.

Good luck, get great shots.

Cheers
2017-8-7
Use props
Frangu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19849 ft
United States

fansc22a7c69 Posted at 2017-8-7 13:08
Just a response to this thread.   

I am a dam good pilot and drone tech.  You have to be......period.   All this...fly out of the box.....no experience necessary.....pure marketing and highly irresponsible.

what gps tracker do you recommend. i have a Tile attached to mine.
2017-8-7
Use props
DiddyDog
New
Flight distance : 1768 ft
United States

No... So far its been perfect. The new firmware update was a good additin and I love the little guy. Ran this is some high heat and for over an hour and a half with 5 batts. No issues.
2017-8-7
Use props
Pierre Genin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 322 ft
Spain

I have problems with 5 different android phones. But I do the Factory reset to a Samsung S6, and now the App work fine. No more issues. So it was a Android failure. But, when is going to happen again?
2017-8-8
Use props
Retroglide08
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13015 ft
United Kingdom

Monochrome Posted at 2017-7-26 02:36
While I'm afraid to fly it I will continue doing it as soon as new fw will drop.

Is there any news of a new firmware update?
2017-8-9
Use props
Chiam168
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16834 ft
Singapore

It's a nice and fun drone but very scared to fly,especially with the latest firmware updated somehow it became very unstable. I'll wait for the next update. Hope the solve the issues.
IMG_6015.PNG
IMG_6016.PNG
2017-8-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Chiam168@gmail. Posted at 2017-8-9 11:21
It's a nice and fun drone but very scared to fly,especially with the latest firmware updated somehow it became very unstable. I'll wait for the next update. Hope the solve the issues.

First warning means your gimbal is obstructed in some way, you may just need to move it by hand to free it up.
Second warning just means you are taking of near metal rebar concrete giving magnetic interference. New firmware will not fix these. So try checking these out or you may need to send your Spark back to dji.
2017-8-9
Use props
Mark S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41801 ft
United States

I am a relative novice with only about 20 flights but I have had zero issues.  At this point based on my experience I probably would not fly over a lake or someplace too far away.  My son also has a Spark and more experience and more flights.  He has had no problems either.

At this point I am very deliberate in my flight prep and do a little low altitude flying for a minute or so before doing anything more adventurous.

If you can't enjoy flying then maybe a drone is not something you need.  Sort of like owning an expensive sports car and keeping it in the garage because you don't want to take any risks.  The fun is in the driving not looking at it parked.

If it flies away and I can't find it then I will be sad.
2017-8-9
Use props
SuperCurro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2357828 ft
Spain

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-4 07:46

I have the same problem, I use to fly over sea, so I am working to have a improved version of this idea, probably with this yellow "churro", but with an fastbelt and unfastbelt system, I will post.
SPARK LIFE JACKET.jpg
2017-08-10 11_01_11-Churros natación NABAIJI - Deportes Natación Natación, Aq.jpg
2017-8-10
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Canada

SuperCurro Posted at 2017-8-10 01:00
I have the same problem, I use to fly over sea, so I am working to have a improved version of this idea, probably with this yellow "churro", but with an fastbelt and unfastbelt system, I will post.

i could be wrong but i feel that you could use a lot less foam and still keep it a float. that's a lot of weight and surface area(for wind to catch) you are adding when you probably only need a tiny bit of foam to keep 300g buoyant.

Just a suggestion.
2017-8-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

SuperCurro Posted at 2017-8-10 01:00

A good breeze and your spark will flip.
2017-8-10
Use props
Gr3g
lvl.3
United States

Got a scare the other day.  Might partially be my fault for not taking some preventive measures though.  Decided to fly the Spark in my back yard to go straight up and catch a nice sunset.  Forgot to put iPhone on airplane mode w/ just wifi ON and should have chose "Forget this Network" for my home wifi.  Took off and while hovering  at 200ft or so, lost connection.  I believe the RC to DJI app/phone was what lost  connection.  At this moment, drone decided to start landing straight down automatically.  I thought it was going to crash in the fence and break some propellers or land on the neighbors backyard.  The problem was that when my phone disconnected from the RC, my damn phone automatically connected to my home Wifi so phone connection to the RC was gone.  Lucky for me, I think the RC remained connected to the Spark or reconnected at the last minute allowing me to take control of the drone and land safely while still not being connected to the App.  I think i'll start using the cable now for phone to RC connection to be safe while phone is in airplane mode.  I recently flew over water a couple of weeks ago and while nervous wasn't too scared.  Now this is going to be in the back of my mind.
2017-8-10
Use props
SuperCurro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2357828 ft
Spain

Thor1 Posted at 2017-8-10 02:03
i could be wrong but i feel that you could use a lot less foam and still keep it a float. that's a lot of weight and surface area(for wind to catch) you are adding when you probably only need a tiny bit of foam to keep 300g buoyant.

Just a suggestion.

Of course I will cut the foam to give me around 0.4 liters, probably it is just 20cm+20cm at each side of the Spark, I will calculate it.

Thanks
2017-8-10
Use props
RedSpaRQ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19488 ft
United States

No option for concerned, but not afraid to fly.
2017-8-10
Use props
fansab7d98f9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7753 ft
United States

Lost my spark 7/2/17 DJI is offering me 40% a new spark if I can come up with the money to get a new spark I will probably fly only in my yard and in beginner mode and even then I will be scared to fly it. ( YouTube video ) DJI Spark and DJI Care Refresh
2017-8-10
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Canada

fansab7d98f9 Posted at 2017-8-10 13:30
Lost my spark 7/2/17 DJI is offering me 40% a new spark if I can come up with the money to get a new spark I will probably fly only in my yard and in beginner mode and even then I will be scared to fly it. ( YouTube video ) DJI Spark and DJI Care Refresh

that would suck, its almost not even worth getting.
2017-8-11
Use props
Frangu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19849 ft
United States

fansab7d98f9 Posted at 2017-8-10 13:30

have you kept complaining to get more? what was the reason to the lost?
2017-8-11
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I don't fear flying my spark.  And I'm still flying over water (if it ditches, I won't be able to retrieve it).  But what I lack is confidence.  I want confidence in myself and in my equipment.  I have confidence in myself.  I've practiced various scenarios so that in case something unexpected happens I'll have some experience to react to the situation and handle it appropriately.  But do I have confidence in my equipment?  Am I certain that my drone will not experience a sudden loss of propulsion or power?  No.  I lack that confidence.  I am nervous every time I fly over water.  That's my choice, I admit.  But I bought the drone expecting to have confidence in the equipment.
2017-8-11
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules