1954 32 2017-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI, the community of frustrated pilots (including myself) after the recent firmware/software updates are in need of a bit of hope.  A little hope can go a looong ways.

Can you confirm if your engineers acknowledge that there are video transmission problems, ham-fisted NFZ policy issues, drone flight instabilities (bucking), new gimbal problems, etc?  Basically, do your engineers believe that there are new problems that need to be addressed immediately?

If you could tell us that we are being heard, and if you could give us a rough timeline for when we could expect an update to address the new problems, you would find that we can be much more patient.  It seems that DJI is getting a lot of bad press lately, and in all fairness (and respect), the criticisms I've read in many many websites are valid.  

What your engineers have accomplished is nothing short of incredible, but with all platforms that grow and expand quickly, there are growing pains and bugs can be introduced.  Openness with your customers (especially those who depend on your product to make a living) can really, truly help to calm agitations, and curb defections.

I truly hope that the issues we are reporting in these forums are making waves in the engineering team.

Matt
2017-7-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI have never confirmed or acknowledged anything of that nature before.  I wouldn't expect them to start now.  It's just not the way they work.
2017-7-26
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I'm going to continue to believe that all companies can learn and grow.  The more they learn about their customers needs, the more chance there will be that they will meet those needs.
2017-7-26
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-7-26 05:53
DJI have never confirmed or acknowledged anything of that nature before.  I wouldn't expect them to start now.  It's just not the way they work.

Hiya Labroides,  how's it going buddy?
Agreed, but I have nothing to lose by asking.  Only a possible win to ask, regardless of how remote the chances are.  

2017-7-26
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

Just got a new phantom, counted my lucky stars that it wasn't updated!
2017-7-26
Use props
Snake Plithkin
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-7-26
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Fractures Posted at 2017-7-26 05:56
Just got a new phantom, counted my lucky stars that it wasn't updated!

Hi Fractures... be sure to turn off Auto Update on your mobile device... otherwise you could get sucked into this problem through the back door.
2017-7-26
Use props
Snake Plithkin
Banned

United States

2017-7-26
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-7-26 05:58
Hi Fractures... be sure to turn off Auto Update on your mobile device... otherwise you could get sucked into this problem through the back door.

My DJI Go App has been completely updated and I was required to log in but it didn't force me to update the AC and I also declined the separate NFZ map update with no issues. I guess I need to test if I have any issues taking off in authorization zones.
2017-7-26
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Snake Plithkin Posted at 2017-7-26 05:58
DJI will never, ever acknowledge a problem. They will laugh at your suggestion of their being video transmission problems and NFZ issues.
I doubt their "engineering team" who are comprised of some of the most second-rate programmers ever even bother to read this stuff. Their software team used open source code and are in violation of its terms-because DJI's team wasn't sophisticated enough to be able to use its own tools. They aren't the brightest bulbs.

Hey Snake,  We have a bird that shoots 4k video from a gimbal camera, transmits 720P video wirelessly to a variety of mobile devices, uses GPS and communicates to 12+ satellites, has amazing options in both video and still photography, has several automation flight plans, can track objects while orbiting them, can live broadcast to Facebook and more... etc... etc... etc..

This is a truly spectacular piece of technology.  There are bugs to be sure and I am frustrated by them like so many others, but in no way, shape, or form are these second rate programmers.

Firmware updates take a long time to produce since they have to be not only defined, but written, tested, and published.  In order for any software department to get anything done, they have to lock the goals of a given update.  there is no option for this or else they will never release anything since it will never be completed.  So it is not a surprise that it is going to take a while to have them release a firmware update that addresses our new round of bugs.
2017-7-26
Use props
Snake Plithkin
Banned

United States

2017-7-26
Use props
fans366c95b4
lvl.2

China

DJI is busying for phantom 5    https://dji-discount.com/567.html
2017-7-26
Use props
Snake Plithkin
Banned

United States

2017-7-26
Use props
Aces_High
lvl.1
United States

Very well worded.  I am relatively new to the DJI commuity, having purchased a P4P about 3 months ago.  I was very pleased until I updated the firmware on the remote and bird about a month ago.  Immediately after the firmware update (the current version that many people have concerns with), I began to experience a very distinct whine and vibration coming from the gimbal.  It would come and go but it was something that I experienced multiple times during every flight.  If I pressed on the rear of the camera and gently pushed the camera/gimbal forward, sometimes I could temporarily silence the whine, but it would return within a minute.

Reading this forum, I was able to find others having the same issue.  One of the forum moderators (whom is also a DJI employee) had commented to another user that DJI has a beta firmware update that should correct the issue.  I contacted the moderator directly and was able to get the beta firmware update pushed to my account.  I have loaded the update, and while I have only flown twice, I have not experienced any issues and I have not experienced the whine and vibration a single time.  

So, to answer your question Mabou2, yes it does appear that DJI is hearing and addressing some of the issues that are being reported.  I know from reading the forum that there are many other problems, but in my case DJI has heard us and engaged their engineers to correct a problem with the most recent public firmware release.

While I only fly for recreational purposes, I understand the frustration that many of you have because your livelihood is based on having tools that work reliably.  I agree that everyone would benefit if DJI would at least acknowledge the problems that their customers are reporting and following that up with some type of communication letting us know when those problems are confirmed and their intent to address them along with an anticipated timeline.  

Additionally, I am sure there are many DJI customers (professional and recreational) who would be willing and eager to help test beta firmware/updates and then report issues they experience back to DJI.  Maybe this is already being done, but if not, it is certainly something to consider moving forward.  I work in IT, and having a diverse bed of testers is highly beneficial to successfully rolling out new updates and changes.  The users of this forum are a great 'community', and hopefully DJI will engage these resources to help not only with their success, but also the success of all of us involved.
2017-7-26
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aces_High Posted at 2017-7-26 06:50
Very well worded.  I am relatively new to the DJI commuity, having purchased a P4P about 3 months ago.  I was very pleased until I updated the firmware on the remote and bird about a month ago.  Immediately after the firmware update (the current version that many people have concerns with), I began to experience a very distinct whine and vibration coming from the gimbal.  It would come and go but it was something that I experienced multiple times during every flight.  If I pressed on the rear of the camera and gently pushed the camera/gimbal forward, sometimes I could temporarily silence the whine, but it would return within a minute.

Reading this forum, I was able to find others having the same issue.  One of the forum moderators (whom is also a DJI employee) had commented to another user that DJI has a beta firmware update that should correct the issue.  I contacted the moderator directly and was able to get the beta firmware update pushed to my account.  I have loaded the update, and while I have only flown twice, I have not experienced any issues and I have not experienced the whine and vibration a single time.  

This is the first instance I've heard of somebody receiving the beta for the firmware fix, good to hear.
2017-7-26
Use props
Snake Plithkin
Banned

United States

2017-7-26
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2576972 ft
  • >>>
United States

Snake Plithkin Posted at 2017-7-26 07:33
DJI has no intention of providing any appropriate communication. They do not recognize a problem, and one cannot address a problem if they don't acknowledge that one exists to begin with. Their "customer service" phone number routes you to the Phillipines. DJI doesn't care because they think that with them being the only game in town, they can do whatever they want, institute more bugs and more restrictions, and ignore the customer.

They have already acknowledged there is a problem and they are working on new firmware.

You sound like a petulant child lashing out at Mom and Dad.
2017-7-26
Use props
Snake Plithkin
Banned

United States

2017-7-26
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Snake Plithkin Posted at 2017-7-26 08:02
Wrong. Please provide any evidence that they have acknowledged that there is a problem and that they are working on new firmware to fix said "problem"? What problem have they acknowledged with their 7 week old firmware?

Right.

It's in one of the upgrade-related threads. A forum mod acknowledged they are working on firmware.

Sensationalism and insult hurling are not good ways to get results.
Where are you getting "7 week old" firmware from, are you talking about something other than the P4? The P4 firmware was released about 2 weeks ago.

2017-7-26
Use props
Jessengu
lvl.1
United States

2017-7-26
Use props
Snake Plithkin
Banned

United States

2017-7-26
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Snake Plithkin Posted at 2017-7-26 08:10
I'm talking about the P4Pro as this is a P4Pro thread. The latest bugware was release on 6/6. As I thought, you have no evidence.

I thought the OP was referring to the P4. That is what I am referencing.
2017-7-26
Use props
Aces_High
lvl.1
United States

microlinux Posted at 2017-7-26 08:13

From my personal experience, I can verify that work is being done on the P4P firmware.  A problem that I had with a whine and vibration on the gimbal after updating the firmware about a month ago was corrected with a beta firmware from DJI that I installed yesterday.  While I only have 2 flights since updating, the problem has gone away and I have not noted any new issues as of yet.
2017-7-26
Use props
Snake Plithkin
Banned

United States

2017-7-26
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
United States

microlinux Posted at 2017-7-26 08:13

All of these people are complaining about the NFZ and authorization zone stuff not the jerky hovering issues that were introduced with P4 update, if I'm understanding correctly. I haven't seen many complaints about jerky flight from P4P owners even though Mabou references it in OP. Either way you are right in that Snake actions are not the best way to get results and he comes off as immature in many of his posts.

The reason DJI hasn't acknowledged a problem with the authorization zones is probably because they are working exactly as they intended.
2017-7-26
Use props
Snake Plithkin
Banned

United States

2017-7-26
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Snake Plithkin Posted at 2017-7-26 08:45
Don't forget the removal of the Smart RTH toggle and the bad video downlink, also added "features" in the last firmware update 7 weeks ago.

The RTH toggle on Pro & Adv' looks like a genuine error, it still exists on latest build for P4. They also note that they have 'enhanced' the RTH function in the release notes. Why develop on one and deny to it's siblings doesn't make sense. Hence I think a genuine error. Only time will tell.
2017-7-26
Use props
Snake Plithkin
Banned

United States

2017-7-26
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I guess Snake got the boot again.
2017-7-27
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

fans366c95b4 Posted at 2017-7-26 06:34
DJI is busying for phantom 5    https://dji-discount.com/567.html

Isn't that link quite dated? Isn't it about the P4P, actually, when the name wasn't yet made public... ?
2017-7-27
Use props
Richard in Bois
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34721 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-7-26 06:10
Hey Snake,  We have a bird that shoots 4k video from a gimbal camera, transmits 720P video wirelessly to a variety of mobile devices, uses GPS and communicates to 12+ satellites, has amazing options in both video and still photography, has several automation flight plans, can track objects while orbiting them, can live broadcast to Facebook and more... etc... etc... etc..

This is a truly spectacular piece of technology.  There are bugs to be sure and I am frustrated by them like so many others, but in no way, shape, or form are these second rate programmers.

You are right about taking a long time to generate updates.  Sure wish documentation was a part of their process.  Having  been a software writer for more than thirty years, I have found that organizations that don't provide user documentation also fail to generate sufficient internal documentation to know the true state their software/firmware. I suspect they have grown so fast that they have lost control of good software management processes.
2017-7-27
Use props
piggio
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27388 ft
Italy

I Quote all that Mabou2 user wrote!!! Wake up DJI I've send a lot of email to assistance (read all the post that I've wrote in the Forum) So DJI what the f....k are you doing??? Go Mabou 2
2017-7-27
Use props
yakkka
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1826755 ft
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2017-7-26 05:53

I haven't flown my p4 for a week or two I've been trying a bit of fpv with a Tbs Vendetta which is a proper animal that I couldn't tame anyway after a head on with a tree and a right off I got my old faithful never let me down P4 out did the update n F**K me what's happened, it now flys like the very first £50 drone i ever brought! If that had been my first ever flight with a Dji I would of definitely S**T myself & crashed it . It handled like I'd made the props me self out of bamboo! And what's with the constant hurricane warnings on a real nice calm day?  I never expected a £1200 dji to perform like a £50 pretend one!
COME On DJI SORT IT!
2017-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules