Someone from NYC here?
1218 11 2017-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Adriano Araujo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

Is somebody from NYC (New York City) here?

Is it ok to fly there? Is ok to fly in Manhattan?

Was reading somewhere (can´t remember when) that there is a lot of no-fly-zones in NYC.

Will be going there next month, and would love to be able to use my spark to register the trip.

Thank you,

Adriano.

2017-7-26
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Correct, 99% of NYC (Manhattan) is a NFZ
2017-7-26
Use props
Adriano Araujo
lvl.4
Brazil

Any workarounds?

I don´t want to make some aerial filmography... just some selfies videos and pictures...
2017-7-26
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Adriano Araujo Posted at 2017-7-26 06:14
Any workarounds?

I don´t want to make some aerial filmography... just some selfies videos and pictures...

Well there's always a workaround...just fly it and don't get caught.  The Spark is less intrusive than other drones, thus depending on where you're flying it might fine.  Central Park might be a place where you wouldn't be noticed as much.
2017-7-26
Use props
Adriano Araujo
lvl.4
Brazil

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-7-26 06:18
Well there's always a workaround...just fly it and don't get caught.  The Spark is less intrusive than other drones, thus depending on where you're flying it might fine.  Central Park might be a place where you wouldn't be noticed as much.

But would the drone goes airborne in a NFZ?

Is I could understand, it will not even hover in that areas (software limitation)
2017-7-26
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Adriano Araujo Posted at 2017-7-26 06:28

Is I could understand, it will not even hover in that areas (software limitation)

There are various classes of NFZ
2017-7-26
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Adriano Araujo Posted at 2017-7-26 06:28

See link below:
http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc?w&www=v1
2017-7-26
Use props
dezign999
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27297 ft
United States

You'll have to fly it in ATTI mode for it to do anything, and click a confirmation that DJI is not responsible for what you may be doing.
2017-7-26
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i dont know exactly how reliable this interactive map is.... but for my area is it fairly accurate...

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/air-space-map/

NYC is not fully locked down no fly zone, however, it is very difficult....it is very controlled airspace.   and i'm sure even if it is legal someone will complain and you may lose it.    use with caution..    it is controlled airspace. ideally you probably shouldn't fly in the city its self either way.  

you got real meaty balls to want to fly a spark in a highly congested zone with so much wifi interference, and so many things to hit, plus i cannot imagine GPS or compass will be very happy.   
2017-7-26
Use props
DWall
lvl.1
United States

I am from the NYC area and regularly fly my spark. You can check on the DJI no fly map or use the app B4UFLY from FAA and check if there are any restrictions. Most of Manhattan doesn't have any restriction unless there is a VIP movement. I prefer to fly it on the river front and over the water so not disturbing anyone and less chances of hitting any buildings.
2017-7-26
Use props
Frangu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19849 ft
United States

roosevelt island is a free zone to fly.
2017-7-26
Use props
Adriano Araujo
lvl.4
Brazil

"you got real meaty balls to want to fly a spark in a highly congested zone with so much wifi interference, and so many things to hit, plus i cannot imagine GPS or compass will be very happy.  "

Not in the dowtown... but on parks (Central?! ... and others), rivershores, etc.

And no farther than 5-10m from me. Like I said, just to make "selfies".
2017-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules