Want to know how much the spark can lift?
12Next >
22906 40 2017-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansabf44cfe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105853 ft
United States

I attached a bucket to the bottom and filled it up until the spark couldn't fly any more.

2017-7-26
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

It is not recommended to attach anything to the Spark, that is too dangerous.
2017-7-26
Use props
His415
lvl.4
United States

I agree this for science purposes only.
2017-10-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for not having to try that out myself.
2017-10-5
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

What I want to know is..
Who gives a F???
2017-10-5
Use props
jyc
First Officer
Flight distance : 2255846 ft
Canada

I do not want to try that with mine, but it's impressive.
2017-10-5
Use props
nottuppaware
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

Haha pointless but totally interesting at the same time.
I wonder what the reduced battery life would be with more load?
2017-10-5
Use props
ASEPK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35515 ft
Indonesia

Will carbon propellers can lift more weight?
2017-10-6
Use props
His415
lvl.4
United States

ASEPK. I think you can think of it as total weight on the Spark.  So if you make something lighter you can add the weight back in payload.  I wonder how much lighter carbon props will weigh.
2017-10-6
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16502930 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was looking to launch small missiles from the Spark, this is good data!!  Or maybe I could use this to water my tomatoes?
2017-10-6
Use props
His415
lvl.4
United States

JVStorbeck Lol yeah 170g of water at a time!
2017-10-8
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-10-5 19:34
What I want to know is..
Who gives a F???

it's good to know how much it can lift if you need to make a calculation. Great Work was done but you will also need to know at what altitude the test was taken at. sea level, etc....  
2017-10-8
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 14044580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Why did you buy a 300g camera drone to see what it can lift when it isn't designed to lift anything? This is utterly pointless, potentially dangerous and frankly juvenile.  
2017-10-8
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

ACW Posted at 2017-10-8 10:43
Why did you buy a 300g camera drone to see what it can lift when it isn't designed to lift anything? This is utterly pointless, potentially dangerous and frankly juvenile.

That is a bizarre reply, it isn't pointless, it may be juvenile, not sure how you see it as dangerous?  Did you feel threatened or something?  I've been asked by everyone who has seen the drone how much it could lift.  I had to say I don't know.  Now I know that it can lift at least 167grams or about half its weight.  I'm know more now than I did before.    I also saw a video where a guy had his spark rescued after it crashed on a water tank a long way past a fence.  A friend rigged up a coat hanger on a larger DJI drone and flew to the Spark and eventually snagged it, lifted it and flew it back to the owner.   So if at some point I fly the Spark across my back yard with a little weighted banner under it for a video I already know that I need to stay under a certain weight.  And yes it isn't recommended, it probably voids a warranty that may or may not cover everything anyway, and if I crash and break my Spark, well that is a possibility every time you move that thing so do the math and decide if it's worth it to you to try.  

2017-10-8
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I'm also pretty sure there are a lot of people in each of our lives who roll their eyes and think we are just older juveniles playing with our big boy toys.  
2017-10-8
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JCStorbeck Posted at 2017-10-8 11:15
That is a bizarre reply, it isn't pointless, it may be juvenile, not sure how you see it as dangerous?  Did you feel threatened or something?  I've been asked by everyone who has seen the drone how much it could lift.  I had to say I don't know.  Now I know that it can lift at least 167grams or about half its weight.  I'm know more now than I did before.    I also saw a video where a guy had his spark rescued after it crashed on a water tank a long way past a fence.  A friend rigged up a coat hanger on a larger DJI drone and flew to the Spark and eventually snagged it, lifted it and flew it back to the owner.   So if at some point I fly the Spark across my back yard with a little weighted banner under it for a video I already know that I need to stay under a certain weight.  And yes it isn't recommended, it probably voids a warranty that may or may not cover everything anyway, and if I crash and break my Spark, well that is a possibility every time you move that thing so do the math and decide if it's worth it to you to try.

I think I would only feel 'threatened' if a 300g drone designed for videography was dangling a bucket of water over my head from hundreds of feet up whilst being controlled by someone who's main motive is click baits on social media - wouldn't you? When somebody who knows nothing about drones and aerial photography asks you what it can carry you should reply with "NOTHING". Recreational drones are not designed to drop projectiles and it is this type of irresponsible flying whereby a projectile in an uncontrolled flight could cause bodily injury to a third party that places the hobby at risk for the rest of us. Crashing your drone is one thing but if it crashed on me you would lose a lot more than just a drone pal! By the way, it's pointless as it is not designed for that purpose as a DJI moderator has previously stated on this thread and as another replied - who gives a f**k what it can carry! Your reply is far more bizarre!
2017-10-8
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

ACW Posted at 2017-10-8 11:29
I think I would only feel 'threatened' if a 300g drone designed for videography was dangling a bucket of water over my head from hundreds of feet up whilst being controlled by someone who's main motive is click baits on social media - wouldn't you? When somebody who knows nothing about drones and aerial photography asks you what it can carry you should reply with "NOTHING". Recreational drones are not designed to drop projectiles and it is this type of irresponsible flying whereby a projectile in an uncontrolled flight could cause bodily injury to a third party that places the hobby at risk for the rest of us. Crashing your drone is one thing but if it crashed on me you would lose a lot more than just a drone pal! By the way, it's pointless as it is not designed for that purpose as a DJI moderator has previously stated on this thread and as another replied - who gives a f**k what it can carry! Your reply is far more bizarre!

Didn't see him get more that a couple feet off the ground.  What would be great to see is how long he can hover at 2 meters holding up that bucket with water so we can see the performance impact on battery energy consumption with the extra load, knowing that would also help people to understand why you probably don't want to saddle your aircraft with the extra weight.   Pretty sure nobody is going to do this for fun.  Do you wear a helmet in the house, you could slip and hit your head!!   

Understanding the lift capacity of Spark may help understand it's performance envelope a little better.  Haven't thought of using Spark to lift something but that may come in a part of my life that hasn't happened yet.  Now I know how much weight a spark can lift if I need it to for some reason.  People are buying add-on things like landing gear, GPS trackers, someone bought landing gear with LED lights, his report is that Spark pitched over over forward while trying to lift off.  People are trying things and sharing their results, water landing with foam balls for the lake, worked, but the surface tension held onto the balls and spark got a little unstable pulling free and obviously this will affect how wind affect AC perfrormance and handling, now we know.  

People are selling things for Spark, are you working with manufactuers to stop this?  But some day, I may need to use a paper clip to feed a baby eagle  up in a tree, and I don't want to be the cold heartless guy who watches the poor baby bird die of starvation beacuse I was too afraid to try.  

Okay I made that up...but really I thought he conducted a safe experiment in the privacy of his yard never flew high enough to hurt anyone and didn't lose control of his aircraft, if anything having that ball and chain on the aircraft probably made the world a little safer for that flight.
2017-10-8
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JCStorbeck Posted at 2017-10-8 12:08
Didn't see him get more that a couple feet off the ground.  What would be great to see is how long he can hover at 2 meters holding up that bucket with water so we can see the performance impact on battery energy consumption with the extra load, knowing that would also help people to understand why you probably don't want to saddle your aircraft with the extra weight.   Pretty sure nobody is going to do this for fun.  Do you wear a helmet in the house, you could slip and hit your head!!   

Understanding the lift capacity of Spark may help understand it's performance envelope a little better.  Haven't thought of using Spark to lift something but that may come in a part of my life that hasn't happened yet.  Now I know how much weight a spark can lift if I need it to for some reason.  People are buying add-on things like landing gear, GPS trackers, someone bought landing gear with LED lights, his report is that Spark pitched over over forward while trying to lift off.  People are trying things and sharing their results, water landing with foam balls for the lake, worked, but the surface tension held onto the balls and spark got a little unstable pulling free and obviously this will affect how wind affect AC perfrormance and handling, now we know.  

No, but I did see cars pass behind the drone on a public road - a drone that many have advised experiencing fly aways with. If the drone malfunctioned mid flight it could easily fly into one of those cars beyond the operators control not to mention that tampering with the drone by doubling it's weight with a bucket of water to this extent will unbalance the props and it would only take a fast gust of wind to tilt the drone heavily enough to cause the motors to disarm mid-flight. That's a slightly higher risk than somebody falling over in their home wouldn't you say. But yes, I do wear a seat belt when I drive my car though I don't drive around in reverse to see what it's capable of...
2017-10-8
Use props
SeanGillian
lvl.2
United States

DJI Spark is made to enjoy flying it and take some awesome photo/video, I am just perplexed why fliers need to outwit it intention.....I understand testing it limits to prove what?  It is intend to fly normal and take photo/video
2017-10-8
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SeanGillian Posted at 2017-10-8 12:38
DJI Spark is made to enjoy flying it and take some awesome photo/video, I am just perplexed why fliers need to outwit it intention.....I understand testing it limits to prove what?  It is intend to fly normal and take photo/video

Some people are beyond help mate.
2017-10-8
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

People fall over and kill themselves all the time in their homes and elsewhere...well at least in the USA it seems to be a problem.  Sparks with buckets of water flying into cars, from a 2 meter hover, haven't heard about that happening at all.  Seatbelts...good move.

John Derry,Chuck Yeager and Eric Brown are just shaking their heads and feeling sad....
2017-10-8
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

His415 Posted at 2017-10-5 12:49
I agree this for science purposes only.

But you said it is for "non scientific test"
2017-10-8
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Looking at the video again, I think the most obvious thing is---Dude, put the spark away and work on that runway, your lawn is a mess!!! :-)
2017-10-8
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

SeanGillian Posted at 2017-10-8 12:38

Why do people need to "Outwit" spark???  Tell me please...do use an OTG cable?  I do, because otherwise I am spending all my flying time trying to get the App to open up again after crashing  and when it is open it shows me a video that it is broken and at times showing video from 5-10 seconds ago.  OTG is not supported, if I didn't try it I would be sitting here whining about how I can't fly and you guys would be telling me to go buy an iPhone.  That is why people are trying to outwit the intention of the spark.  
2017-10-8
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Glad you haven’t heard about buckets of water being flown by drones hitting cars and people - probably because very few are daft enough to try it. This test is totally futile anyway given all the variables that may impact performance such as wind speed, air temperature, battery cycles, altitude above sea level, the condition of the drone’ props and ESC’s etc - just because a simpleton but a bucket full of water on a cord and tied it around his mini drone then took off does not prove anything. It’s uncontrolled and utterly pointless. If you want a drone to carry objects then buy one designed for that purpose and ensure you have permission to do it as the AMA and FAA classify dropping projectiles from a drone for recreational use as reckless and specifically prohibit it - BIG FINE if caught!
2017-10-8
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And no, I don’t use an OTG cable - the Spark is wireless. Indeed, buy an iPhone or an Android that is compatible.
2017-10-8
Use props
His415
lvl.4
United States

Pushing the envelope is not for everyone.  Some like it and others don’t.  But that’s the beauty of the human species, we’re all different.
2017-10-9
Use props
rogerOz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1040587 ft
Australia

thats gave me a good idea , thanks mate..
2018-2-8
Use props
Rrrad
New
Flight distance : 3632 ft
South Africa

I know this response is a little/a lot late but does anyone realise that the main purpose of specific drones may be one thing, for example photography but that does not mean it's only thing it can be used for. People use the Mavic pro to drop fishing baits out at sea and that works great but the Mavic is also only a video drone, those same guys may find it useful to know they can carry a smaller bait out to sea with a little Spark for a quarter the price we'll SA price that is. I just find it amusing how some people are so insecure about themselves that they can't pass off the opportunity to try bring someone else down to their level by trying to make them feel stupid about something. This guy's experiment was probably very informative to someone else wether u see the use or not so unless he actually lost control because he was as bad a pilot as you then you really shouldn't insult him or try bringing him down or if he directed the video at you then yes comment but it was directed publicly so what was the use of you commenting except showing the world how bitter u are. Plus u saw the title so if it was pointless why did u bother opening and reading it unless your life sucks that u had to fill it with pointless feats. Well just my 2cents worth
2018-7-5
Use props
Harry Moman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 311240 ft
Australia

I lifted a pilchard on gang hook line and Ball sinker into the Surf 2 days ago

I also had motor overload warnings
I flew it out only short distance 150 m

Just couldn’t help myself
2018-7-31
Use props
fans3d0c7cd6
lvl.2
United States

JCStorbeck Posted at 2017-10-8 11:15
That is a bizarre reply, it isn't pointless, it may be juvenile, not sure how you see it as dangerous?  Did you feel threatened or something?  I've been asked by everyone who has seen the drone how much it could lift.  I had to say I don't know.  Now I know that it can lift at least 167grams or about half its weight.  I'm know more now than I did before.    I also saw a video where a guy had his spark rescued after it crashed on a water tank a long way past a fence.  A friend rigged up a coat hanger on a larger DJI drone and flew to the Spark and eventually snagged it, lifted it and flew it back to the owner.   So if at some point I fly the Spark across my back yard with a little weighted banner under it for a video I already know that I need to stay under a certain weight.  And yes it isn't recommended, it probably voids a warranty that may or may not cover everything anyway, and if I crash and break my Spark, well that is a possibility every time you move that thing so do the math and decide if it's worth it to you to try.

Frankly, I am blown away by most of the negative responses and criticism I see on this forum to those who experiment.  Its fine if you like to just play with your drones.   Let's face it, DJI is not forthcoming with tech specs and the experimenters among us are left to, well, experiment and, heaven forbid, void our warranty.  I designed my own battery for spark with 70% more mAh but 50g heavier.  Knowing load and performance is real important to me so thanks for such tests!  So off I go to warranty hell, ha, but I honestly believe that it is the experimenters among us who, to some degree, motivate DJI to make better products and improve existing ones!
2018-11-29
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

fans3d0c7cd6 Posted at 11-29 09:08
Frankly, I am blown away by most of the negative responses and criticism I see on this forum to those who experiment.  Its fine if you like to just play with your drones.   Let's face it, DJI is not forthcoming with tech specs and the experimenters among us are left to, well, experiment and, heaven forbid, void our warranty.  I designed my own battery for spark with 70% more mAh but 50g heavier.  Knowing load and performance is real important to me so thanks for such tests!  So off I go to warranty hell, ha, but I honestly believe that it is the experimenters among us who, to some degree, motivate DJI to make better products and improve existing ones!

I totally agree with this post...our whole society is quick to jump to criticizing just about anything and anyone. What you do with your drone as long as it's done safely and responsibly is your own business.  From landing gear to GPS trackers, many Spark owners have added extra weight.  I have prop guards (ocassionally), a battery clip (always) and have thought about adding a GPS tracker. Maybe you don't agree with the individual who posted the video, but who makes you the expert on anything to say he was in the wrong???
2018-11-29
Use props
Junior SBC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 476483 ft
Brazil

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-26 22:25
It is not recommended to attach anything to the Spark, that is too dangerous.

Including also some products marketed in the DJI Store

https://store.dji.com/product/sp ... riser-kit-christmas

2018-11-29
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

175 + 50 is 225 not 200.
2018-11-30
Use props
djiuser_ky45G82Uco3E
lvl.2
Flight distance : 166923 ft
United States

Junior SBC Posted at 2018-11-29 17:37
Including also some products marketed in the DJI Store

Great find!
If DJI is willing to add 78grams, then so may I...

"Net Weight:
Propeller Guard & Riser Kit: 43g
Antlers: 8g
Santa Claus doll: 27g"
2019-4-1
Use props
fans0336d571
lvl.1
United States

ACW Posted at 2017-10-8 11:29
I think I would only feel 'threatened' if a 300g drone designed for videography was dangling a bucket of water over my head from hundreds of feet up whilst being controlled by someone who's main motive is click baits on social media - wouldn't you? When somebody who knows nothing about drones and aerial photography asks you what it can carry you should reply with "NOTHING". Recreational drones are not designed to drop projectiles and it is this type of irresponsible flying whereby a projectile in an uncontrolled flight could cause bodily injury to a third party that places the hobby at risk for the rest of us. Crashing your drone is one thing but if it crashed on me you would lose a lot more than just a drone pal! By the way, it's pointless as it is not designed for that purpose as a DJI moderator has previously stated on this thread and as another replied - who gives a f**k what it can carry! Your reply is far more bizarre!

Your reply is kinda pathetic.  6 ounces is not a bucket of water.  Why even use a bucket, a water balloon would work better.
2019-4-6
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans0336d571 Posted at 4-6 19:33
Your reply is kinda pathetic.  6 ounces is not a bucket of water.  Why even use a bucket, a water balloon would work better.

Depends on the size of the bucket. There is nothing pathetic in upholding flight safety - which is clearly the actual point made in my reply... And this thread in 18 months old now - you're a bit late!
2019-4-6
Use props
SlowSL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8409 ft
United States

ACW Posted at 2017-10-8 10:43

I must confess, I have used my adjustable wrench as a hammer when one was out of reach, I'm using a $800 machine part as a door stop, and I've even been known to use newspaper to make sailor hats and airplanes.

On a serious note, I will be using the spark as a racing quadcopter rescue vehicle to hoist up a line over a tree branch, then back down to the ground.  This allows me some good leverage to shake a branch violently in order to dislodge a stuck bird.  The hook on a string method usually ends with both being stuck.  With this knowledge, I know that the spark can tow up a pretty good amount of line!
2019-4-23
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SlowSL Posted at 4-23 06:36
I must confess, I have used my adjustable wrench as a hammer when one was out of reach, I'm using a $800 machine part as a door stop, and I've even been known to use newspaper to make sailor hats and airplanes.

On a serious note, I will be using the spark as a racing quadcopter rescue vehicle to hoist up a line over a tree branch, then back down to the ground.  This allows me some good leverage to shake a branch violently in order to dislodge a stuck bird.  The hook on a string method usually ends with both being stuck.  With this knowledge, I know that the spark can tow up a pretty good amount of line!

Well it's your drone - I wish you luck
2019-4-23
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Well, I generally lean towards the side of safety first.  That said, I have wondered if the Spark could carry a small second camera.  I have a Runcam HD that weighs 43 grams, I've pondered the idea, once my warranty is done, to velcro it facing backwards from below the battery.  Its optics are quite different from the Spark's, could be potentially interesting.  I have seen someone do this on YT already, so I probably wont bother, but the weight lifting test from the OP did reveal to me that it would indeed be possible, however I wonder how much damage to the drone's motors and ESCs would actually be incurred.  I also appreciate everyone has a right to their opinion, as so clearly stated in the responses to the OP.  Just my thoughts.
2019-4-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules