Scary Return to Home Experience
1270 12 2017-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jack_Sweeney
lvl.2
Flight distance : 634692 ft
United States

Let me start out with my spark is pretty much fine. I had return to home at current altitude on today and it went up still hit some trees fell down but didnt hit ground hit the trees again and fell to the groud. I was trying to cancel return to home button didnt in time. Any Tips or why did this happen? Ive uploaded the files to dropbox because it was giving me a error when trying to put it on the dji server Black Box Upload
2017-7-26
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are you taking off straight up for at least 30 meters?  It's quite important for the home point to be effective.
2017-7-26
Use props
Jack_Sweeney
lvl.2
United States

Are u saying return to current altitude only works when above or at 30m?
2017-7-26
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

When you take off, you must go at least 30m straight up.  No going forward, just 30m straight up. This way the lower sensors can correctly map a home point.
2017-7-26
Use props
Jack_Sweeney
lvl.2
United States

Let me say what my problem is not the accuracy of the home point but why did my drone go up when I have return to home at current atti on when I clicked return to home and yes during takeoff I went straight up 30m .
2017-7-26
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

one issue i had with my sparky and the RC.   how sensitive the sticks were.. i felt like i was pushing straight up, but turns out i was slightly off axis.. so wasn't perfect ...  

dji, can we have some deadzone adjustments? i know there is a calibration thing in the settings but is no deadzone adjustments.. some of us have more relaxed grip on our controls so having more relaxed deadzone is ideal..
2017-7-26
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

What is the pre-set RTH attitude? Here is the logic of the RTH for your reference. sPARK rth.png
2017-7-26
Use props
Jack_Sweeney
lvl.2
United States

Yep there's my answer I wasn't 2.5m up so it went up and hit  the trees so now I know return to home at current altitude only works at 2.5m or 8.2ft Thanks for the info But they should add a update In app that when turning that setting on it warns you that it works from 2.5m and up
2017-7-28
Use props
nucmanchh
lvl.4
United States

I had a similar problem when I was walking behind the Spark (using the RC) and waited too long to land. It returned to home (back where we started the walk) and side-swiped leaves on a tree. After that event I've given thought to what is the best RTH altitude to set the Spark to? I don't know that there is a 'best' setting for that. Maybe set the altitude after familiarizing yourself to the surroundings??
2017-7-28
Use props
Zirconn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242920 ft
Romania

What I don't understand is why people insist of starting RTH manually. Considering Spark is not sensor rich, doesn't have smart return home  and doesn't have  much redundancy in internal systems (like only one compass vs two in other models), I found out I'd rather fly it myself and be safe. Also, the flight time is low enough so why would I lose some of it by flying auto-magically ...
2017-7-28
Use props
Surface2Air
lvl.4
Flight distance : 167441 ft
United States

I agree. I fly manually all the time, you can also take over during a RTH event at any time. I think RTH has its use when the AC is far away and as a failsafe.
2017-7-28
Use props
Jack_Sweeney
lvl.2
United States

Yeah from now on I'm flying manually and I was to slow to click cancel for the return to home
2017-7-28
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

When taking off I always give the AC plenty of time(at least 30 secs) to internally record it's position I found this to be more accurate when RTH is activated and always ready to hit cancel or "II" in case it starts wandering somewhere else.
2017-7-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules