Spark goes off in mid-flight
2393 18 2017-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanse446a01f
lvl.1
Spain

After 4h and 21 minutes of safe flight, the dron has literally fallen like a stone. 25% battery. Absolutely no obstacle between the RC and spark. Connected by wifi to an Android and RC. Fortunately, has happened at a height of 2 meters, and 10 meters from me. The drone is "fine", but now I'm afraid to use it especially with children.

People, Right now I'm not sure to take him more than 10 meters away from my sight ... not on the sea, lakes, cliffs, or all those places that I would like to fly with my spark. Can I hire DJI Care Refresh one month after I bought it?   BB: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oyikm ... GPsXXSUXosE5Ta?dl=0

thanks in advance
2017-7-26
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

yes you can buy  DJI refresh after 30 days!  you have to prove its condition, serial number and such in a video as instructed.

https://repair.dji.com/en/djicare/customerupload
2017-7-26
Use props
Onomarn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4728 ft
United States

This is happening everywhere, just do a google search. These things are falling from the sky.
2017-7-26
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Sorry for the crash, could you please sync the flight records, then provide me your DJI account email and the date this occurred. I saw the black box data when I open the dropbox link,  please also export the flight data for further analysis. As for the DJI Care, please send an email to djicare@dji.com, they will help you to deal with it.

2017-7-26
Use props
minizoom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 860643 ft
United States

Mine fell from 16.4 feet. Just got done flying active track and then it just fell. When I picked it up the power was completely off. Sending it off to DJI for repair. I was using Ipad mini 4 wifi to spark connection. Have over 10 hrs 58 mins of flight time on it. Five flights after the update when it happened today.
2017-7-26
Use props
McTasso
lvl.1
Flight distance : 189705 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

My DJI SPARK lost WiFi (iPhone) connection and automatically initiated RTH followed by landing in the water. According to DJI support so far, the SPARK was able to reconnect to my iPhone. However, I was not able to steer it or gain height even though I was only 3 meter away on the boat. Battery was still at 31% when it crashed. The SPARK sunk so quickly the tI was not able to dive after it :-(
DJI Support has not been helpful so far saying only that that there was a reconnect to the iPhone.

The 'funny' thing is that I just received my DJI Remote Controller but don't have the SPARK.

Is somebody experienced and check the flight log or is there a way I can check it myself with all the details?
Unfortunately the flight log is 1.7MB so I cannot upload it.
Thanks.

Picture of log from DJI Support

Picture of log from DJI Support
2017-7-26
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

minizoom Posted at 2017-7-26 22:33
Mine fell from 16.4 feet. Just got done flying active track and then it just fell. When I picked it up the power was completely off. Sending it off to DJI for repair. I was using Ipad mini 4 wifi to spark connection. Have over 10 hrs 58 mins of flight time on it. Five flights after the update when it happened today.

Sorry to hear about the crash, have you contacted the Support to start a repair case? If not , please contact them here: http://www.dji.com/support .
2017-7-26
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

McTasso Posted at 2017-7-26 22:59
My DJI SPARK lost WiFi (iPhone) connection and automatically initiated RTH followed by landing in the water. According to DJI support so far, the SPARK was able to reconnect to my iPhone. However, I was not able to steer it or gain height even though I was only 3 meter away on the boat. Battery was still at 31% when it crashed. The SPARK sunk so quickly the tI was not able to dive after it :-(
DJI Support has not been helpful so far saying only that that there was a reconnect to the iPhone.

Sorry for your loss, do you have a case number? Please provide me your case number so I can look into it. The case number begin with CAS- .
2017-7-26
Use props
fanse446a01f
lvl.1
Spain

I have read some forum pilots who think that the fault is the lack of experience, and the fact of being a mainstream product for a mainstream audience.

We all know how to read the instruction book and flight recommendations. The dron falls in mid-flight, there is no more.

2017-7-28
Use props
McTasso
lvl.1
  • >>>
Switzerland

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-26 23:23
Sorry for your loss, do you have a case number? Please provide me your case number so I can look into it. The case number begin with CAS- .

Hi Diana,

thank you for your reply
Communication with European DJI support (Support6.DE) is a nightmare, especially when they just act as an unnecessary layer just forwarding back and forward communication from the HQ.
I would like to escalate my case to the headquarters.

The case number got from them is: WO0171352
I know its not the usual case number like CAS-11111-11X1V1 but this is what I got.

In a nutshell, SPARK initiated a RTH, I had a connection loss, restored wifi-connection to interrupt landing (RTH), App freezes, SPARK crashes in water.

Here's the log I was able to convert: DJI SPARK Flightlog - Connection loss 1.jpg

DJI SPARK Flightlog - Connection loss 2.jpg
2017-8-7
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

McTasso Posted at 2017-8-7 02:28
Hi Diana,

thank you for your reply

Sorry, I didn't find your case, with the number you provided. Could you please provide me your email address so I can search your case with it?
2017-8-7
Use props
McTasso
lvl.1
  • >>>
Switzerland

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-7 02:54
Sorry, I didn't find your case, with the number you provided. Could you please provide me your email address so I can search your case with it?

Hi Diana, just got the CAS number finally. It's CAS-809436-F7Y8W4.
Thank you.
2017-8-9
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

McTasso Posted at 2017-8-9 09:17
Hi Diana, just got the CAS number finally. It's CAS-809436-F7Y8W4.
Thank you.

Just to verify, the case number is CAS-809436-F7Y8W4, right? I've informed our engineers to review the data of this case, I am so sorry to say that this is a pilot error. As you can see in the screenshots below. The pilot was in a boat and the boat was moving, but the pilot didn't refresh the Home Point. then triggered the RTH, and the drone finally landed into the water. WO01713521 (1).png WO01713521.png
2017-8-13
Use props
McTasso
lvl.1
  • >>>
Switzerland

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-13 00:52
Just to verify, the case number is CAS-809436-F7Y8W4, right? I've informed our engineers to review the data of this case, I am so sorry to say that this is a pilot error. As you can see in the screenshots below. The pilot was in a boat and the boat was moving, but the pilot didn't refresh the Home Point. then triggered the RTH, and the drone finally landed into the water.[view_image][view_image]

Hi Diana, there was no need to change the RTH as we were in the boat and we were able to be next to the SPARK in time (you can see this in the flight log). When the SPARK crashed into the water we were actually next to it. The issue was that the the SPARK did not hover long enough to be picked up although there was enough battery left (still 31%). I therefore assume that there was an issue with the power supply?

Please see your manual for RTH procedure:
5. The aircraft will hover 0.3 m above ground and wait for confirmation from the user. The aircraft will land and stop its motors after user confrmation.

Thanks for re-cheking my statement.
2017-8-14
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

McTasso Posted at 2017-8-14 00:48
Hi Diana, there was no need to change the RTH as we were in the boat and we were able to be next to the SPARK in time (you can see this in the flight log). When the SPARK crashed into the water we were actually next to it. The issue was that the the SPARK did not hover long enough to be picked up although there was enough battery left (still 31%). I therefore assume that there was an issue with the power supply?

As you can see the details below, you've canceled the RTH, but the drone was too close to the water, the height was -2m. We've reviewed the data, this is a pilot error, I am sorry to say that this is the final result.
1.The aircraft was controlled by the pilot in GPS mode.
2.T=07:23,h=48m,d=99.9m,the RTH was triggered by APP ;return height:30m.
3.T=09:29,h=-2m,d=0.7m,landing canceled by pilot,aircraft entered in GPS mode.
4.T=10:03,h=-1m,d=0.3m,flight record interrupt.
2017-8-19
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-19 01:46
As you can see the details below, you've canceled the RTH, but the drone was too close to the water, the height was -2m. We've reviewed the data, this is a pilot error, I am sorry to say that this is the final result.
1.The aircraft was controlled by the pilot in GPS mode.
2.T=07:23,h=48m,d=99.9m,the RTH was triggered by APP ;return height:30m.

Hi Diana,i have a concern relating to your comment.by saying "2m is too close to the water",then what is the proposed height for Spark when flying over water?Thanks
2017-8-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-8-19 03:50
Hi Diana,i have a concern relating to your comment.by saying "2m is too close to the water",then what is the proposed height for Spark when flying over water?Thanks

I think if you refer to your own thread you will see advice not to fly close to reflective surfaces i.e. Water snow, reason VPS may not act correctly, so in strict terms switch of VPS or fly higher than 8 metres.
2017-8-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

McTasso Posted at 2017-8-14 00:48

That's a pity man, really for using on boats we really need failsafe hover RTH , it's on Mavic but not spark yet.
2017-8-19
Use props
McTasso
lvl.1
  • >>>
Switzerland

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-19 06:14
That's a pity man, really for using on boats we really need failsafe hover RTH , it's on Mavic but not spark yet.

Maybe, but I've seen others doing this on boats without any problems. Things with the new firmware might be better now but I was using the old immature firmware. It could also be an engine/battery fail. In my view it doesn't matter if this happens at 30m or just 2m...
I took me 1 month back and forward with DJI support and result is 'pilot error'? That's not acceptable.

Question now is really if I should sell my controller (that ironically was delivered just 2 days after the crash) and my spare batteries...
2017-8-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules