Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What is your OTG experience?
1649 12 2017-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
polguixe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 165030 ft
Spain

What is your experience with the Spark and OTG device?
Yesterday I received and OTG device and I've tried with both an iPhone and Android.

iPhone:
IMG_4181.PNG

Android:
Screenshot_20170727-085723.png

Neither iOS nor Android versions allow the wifi to be selected. Is the controller in some sort of Auto Mode?

Additionally, there is no information on the different channels.

Moreover, in the Android, I can see that the connection icon is now an "HD" instead of the Wifi icon. In the iPhone remains the same.

Anyone with the same experience?

I haven't got time to try if the connection improved and I can fly further away with the OTG vs Wifi.
2017-7-27
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

i am planning on buying an OTG Cable today after work so hopefully i can get back to you tomorrow. i have an ios
2017-7-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I've tried it , made no difference wifi to RC is just as good. And that includes transmission and distance.
2017-7-27
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

first of all.. OTG with RC to the Spark is a night and day difference..  without it you can get spark out maybe 300-600 feet.  with OTG over 1000 feet was much more achievable.   and that's in a fairly congested area. that i tested it in with a lot of wifi...

on 4.1.3 version of the DJi Go 4 app with the Spark 400 firmware  and OTG with RC and the samsung S8 i could change channels, it was cumbersome however and would still disconnect aircraft from remote while the RC remained connected to the S8...was a lot shorter disconnections.. 2-5 seconds vs the up to 30 seconds could take with S8 and RC both fighting on same wifi channels..   i dont know if DJi changed something since i returned my Spark.  

was a night and day difference using OTG..hopefully DJi figures it out..
2017-7-27
Use props
Marco M.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18655 ft
Italy

I had your experience with my Android 7.1.2 (Lineage OS) phone OnePlus One
2017-7-27
Use props
Marco M.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18655 ft
Italy

I had your experience with my Android 7.1.2 (Lineage OS) phone OnePlus One.

Aircraft Firmware: V 01.00.0500
Remote Controller Firmware: V 01.00.0300
DJI GO 4 App Android:V 4.1.4  
2017-7-27
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-7-27 06:57
first of all.. OTG with RC to the Spark is a night and day difference..  without it you can get spark out maybe 300-600 feet.  with OTG over 1000 feet was much more achievable.   and that's in a fairly congested area. that i tested it in with a lot of wifi...

on 4.1.3 version of the DJi Go 4 app with the Spark 400 firmware  and OTG with RC and the samsung S8 i could change channels, it was cumbersome however and would still disconnect aircraft from remote while the RC remained connected to the S8...was a lot shorter disconnections.. 2-5 seconds vs the up to 30 seconds could take with S8 and RC both fighting on same wifi channels..   i dont know if DJi changed something since i returned my Spark.  

i believe it may be different for other users.
2017-7-27
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

Thor1 Posted at 2017-7-27 06:29
i am planning on buying an OTG Cable today after work so hopefully i can get back to you tomorrow. i have an ios

This is the one I have http://amzn.to/2vbaDIb I neither can pick WiFi channel !!
2017-7-27
Use props
virtguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 229596 ft
United States

I would have returned my Spark within a couple of days if not for the OTG cable.  Without it, range was poor and the video feed was choppy.  The range and video stability improved dramatically when I used the OTG cable, as did the battery life of my iOS devices.  When I heard that DJI was considering disabling the OTG capability, I bought a Mavic and decided to sell the Spark.

I've not tested the new firmware without the OTG cable yet, but even if performance between wired and wireless was identical, I find that connecting the cable is less hassle than switching SSIDs.
2017-7-27
Use props
Sliderul
lvl.2
Flight distance : 501942 ft
United States

I was having a few intermittent connection issues that made me a little nervous so I purchased an OTG cable through Amazon. I tried using the cable on several devices as my goal was to dedicate an old tablet to the Spark. It turns out that not every Android device supports OTG and there is an app available in the Play Store to determine how your device will behave (USB Host Diagnostics). My tablets were too old, but I was able to connect to an old Samsung S5 Galaxy phone. The performance difference was remarkable and I was very happy. However, for reasons I can't fathom, I started getting a tremendous lag in video signal, so much that I couldn't fly the Spark. I had several sessions with DJI Support and they asked my to return the Spark for evaluation - I declined while I tried to find the source of the problem. Last night I upgraded FW for both the Spark and Remote Control and now there is no lag whatsoever. In fact, I can now fly the Spark further then ever without a single warning of week transmission (3100 ft at 250 ft elevation).
I have learned that the order of making connections is important with the OTG cable. I turn on the RC, then start the Android DJI GO 4 app, then connect the cable to the phone, and finally connect the OTG adapter or cable end to the Remote Control (there are pins shorted in the OTG adapter and it's important that it be plugged into the RC and not the display device).
2017-7-27
Use props
dezign999
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27297 ft
United States

Sliderul Posted at 2017-7-27 12:54
I was having a few intermittent connection issues that made me a little nervous so I purchased an OTG cable through Amazon. I tried using the cable on several devices as my goal was to dedicate an old tablet to the Spark. It turns out that not every Android device supports OTG and there is an app available in the Play Store to determine how your device will behave (USB Host Diagnostics). My tablets were too old, but I was able to connect to an old Samsung S5 Galaxy phone. The performance difference was remarkable and I was very happy. However, for reasons I can't fathom, I started getting a tremendous lag in video signal, so much that I couldn't fly the Spark. I had several sessions with DJI Support and they asked my to return the Spark for evaluation - I declined while I tried to find the source of the problem. Last night I upgraded FW for both the Spark and Remote Control and now there is no lag whatsoever. In fact, I can now fly the Spark further then ever without a single warning of week transmission (3100 ft at 250 ft elevation).
I have learned that the order of making connections is important with the OTG cable. I turn on the RC, then start the Android DJI GO 4 app, then connect the cable to the phone, and finally connect the OTG adapter or cable end to the Remote Control (there are pins shorted in the OTG adapter and it's important that it be plugged into the RC and not the display device).

Thank you for posting your instructions. I can now confirm this is the exact same  method that is required for iOS. I could not get OTG working yesterday after doing the firmware upgrade and restarting both devices. Following your instructions, OTG connected immediately.

iOS OTG Steps -> Power on Remote -> Power on Spark -> Launch DJI GO -> Connect OTG to iOS Device -> Connect to Remote

If successful, the DJI GO app will immediately say "Connected" with a WiFi icon followed by the usual firmware check banner up top and the "Enter Device" prompt on the bottom right.
2017-7-27
Use props
Cavids
lvl.3
United States

main thing I found out is do not connect your phone to either the spark or RC via wifii if using otg cable
2017-7-27
Use props
Balmenach
lvl.1
United Kingdom

After reading on the forums about unreliable wifi connections, and how battery hungry the dji go app can be - I opted to use an OTG set-up straight from the word go - very pleased to say I've had no issues whatsoever using the OTG set-up (once I'd figured out the correct process to connect).

My phone's a Sony Xperia Z5, so I'm on android still using the 4.1.3 - as it works I've no intention of trying a purely wifi set-up, though I do see some commenting that v4.1.4 update might be disabling OTG as an option. I'll cross that bridge if/ when it comes to it.
2017-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules