Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Crashed into camera operator
1971 17 2015-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bbkillen
lvl.2

United States

i was hovering and about to land when the camera operator said to hold so he could get a shot of us.  the bird was pointed right at him but the camera was pointing elsewhere.  He had on my cinimizers so he couldn't see the bird even though he was facing directly at it.  at a steady hold position of 5 feet with hands off the controls the bird takes off forward straight for the camera man.   i yelled and he turned his back to the aircraft as it clipped his arm; just a small cut.   copter crashed into some rocks and broke 3 props, battery ejected.

this was my first flight after upgrading my firmware to .17

be careful out there.  while i'm very happy with my purchase there are still some bugs to work out.

the video was corrupt so i inserted into the bird and powered up to fix but lost the last few seconds with the crash

2015-3-23
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

wow that dude could have been seriously hurt.
2015-3-23
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

That's crazy man, u could have messed him up. I got images of that guy smashing the chit out of his garage door.  GPS mode I'll bet :@

2015-3-23
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Wow...sorry to hear about this...glad your camera guy was on. Could have been much nastier!

A few gestions.....
After upgrade, I assume you calibrated both IMU and compass? What were your mod values immediately prior to the flight?
Did you also calibrate the remote?
At 5ft high the craft may have reverted to Opti, so what were the ground conditions, and were there any moving shadows that The Inspire may have locked onto?
2015-3-23
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

They should remove the GPS function altogether in the next update, issue 1k credits to all customers, then charge them 1k next year when they finally have something reliable to offer.
I said it last night and I'll say it again ... Someone is going to get seriously hurt, really soon!
2015-3-23
Use props
FlyingSquirrel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17141325 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

I agree Bob. Someone is going to get hurt. My phantoms are very reliable but the I1 ....
2015-3-23
Use props
bbkillen
lvl.2

United States

to be honest it did shake me up a bit.  i've been landing really close to people and will stop doing that from now on.  if i would have been 50 feet from him i would have had plenty of time to lift to a safe altitude.
2015-3-23
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

bbkillen@gmail. Posted at 2015-3-24 07:03
to be honest it did shake me up a bit.  i've been landing really close to people and will stop doing ...

I feel ya brother, I'm sure your heart skipped a beat!
I don't even have mine yet and I will have to guard against complacency.
The last thing the experienced pilots need to do is get caught off guard by this heli.
Bad things can happen to experienced pilots too if they are not prepared.
Imagine how terrible you would have felt if it hit him right in the face.
2015-3-23
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

You are the bug , 5 feet away from your cam guy that was wearing fpv  glasses or goggles is your mistake
I fly immersed fpv quite often and getting your bird close to even yourself alone while immersed fpv takes real practice before you can call yourself good enough for the manuvering you tried pulling off , your very lucky is all I know , think jugular vein severed .... things could have gone disastrously really fast.
Be careful children !
2015-3-24
Use props
bbkillen
lvl.2

United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-3-24 23:14
You are the bug , 5 feet away from your cam guy that was wearing fpv  glasses or goggles is your mis ...

agreed, i was the "bug" in this situation.  i'm am not an experienced pilot.  These copters are so incredible that they can give you a false sense of comfort.  glitches, breakdowns and unforeseen forces are going to happen and one should plan accordingly.  
2015-3-24
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

My bad, I understand now. I thought it lost gps (like so many others).

Let me tell u guys something.
I do NOT have my I1 yet, but I sure as heck know how much power a 13" prop can generate on 6s.
And then you multiply it by four, and you have an extremely High Powered copter.
DJI is really rolling the dice letting the public be their guinne pigs, (these aren't iphones).
2015-3-24
Use props
bbkillen
lvl.2

United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-3-25 00:38

Let me tell u guys something ...

it did lose gps but i still feel this was my fault; as daver/m points out.  the other thing i didn't mention... i was flying near the turbine house for a small hydro dam.     that very may have been related to my gps problem.  i have to imagine those turbines generate some interference.

2015-3-24
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

bbkillen@gmail. Posted at 2015-3-25 00:19
agreed, i was the "bug" in this situation.  i'm am not an experienced pilot.  These copters are so ...

Yo , I wasn't trying to be harsh at you or make you look bad .. I've had a close call a time or two myself !
The inspire is too cool ...
2015-3-24
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-3-25 00:38

Let me tell u guys something ...

Exactly , Times Four Blades ! And they like attaching to whatever they come into contact with !
2015-3-24
Use props
bbkillen
lvl.2

United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-3-25 01:27
Yo , I wasn't trying to be harsh at you or make you look bad .. I've had a close call a time or tw ...

lol, no problem daver/m

2015-3-24
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

bbkillen@gmail. Posted at 2015-3-25 01:26
i was flying near the turbine house for a small hydro dam.     that very may have been related to my gps problem.  i have to imagine those turbines generate some interference.

(we know what happened with the gps dropout .17)

as far as 2.4 interference .....

Naw, those are made up interference stories that were true back in the day of 72MHz.
My belief is that 2.4 interference stories are similar to fish stories in that it makes the teller feel better.
With a good quality 2.4 receiver, (not a hobbyking special) I can fly loops with a plank around high tension wires til the pack runs dry without a hiccup, land on a water tower loaded with HP transmitters with a fpv trex450 like is was a grass field, use my 3d aj slick's wing tip to caress the side of that turbine building ur talking about without a hitch. Now a lot of you guys might say, "well, that's because you're great", (and that may be true), but the fact is if you have a good 2.4 lock with quality equipment, it's a pretty solid/reliable connection that I'm comfortable with. (I know there's a couple exceptions out there, no need to :@ ),

A really good example of what happened to you that we can all relate to is the "near miss lane change".
We have all changed lanes a thousand times but this time you are distracted buy an address your looking for,
(or a hot chick in my case), and there is a near miss lane change that REALLY gets your heart pumping.
It has happened to all of us at least once, and boy howdie, aren't we careful after that, (at least for a little while).

I'm really glad everything worked out for you.
I hope I never read on this forum about a guy who has lost control and has injured someone.

Bob

HONK if you like my avatar -
2015-3-24
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-3-25 02:45

That Avatar , It's Homer Simpson's brain trying to answer marge as to why he spent the kids college money on a new inspire dual remote with Zeiss  cinemizers and twelve TB48s ! Ahh ha ha ha haaa....
2015-3-24
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-3-25 02:45

Your avatar  , It's Homer Simpson's brain trying to answer marge as to why he spent the kids college money on a new inspire dual remote with Zeiss  cinemizers and twelve TB48s ! Ahh ha ha ha  
2015-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules