Line of Sight
1130 15 2017-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nucmanchh
lvl.4
United States

When I fly my Spark I always keep it close to me. I doubt I've gone more than 300' out. I watch some of you fly 3000 feet or more out. My question is this: When you fly it that far out what % of time do u give to looking at ur iPhone/Android screen (viewing what the camera sees) between looking up to the sky trying to see the Spark? I'm curious about what others do
2017-7-27
Use props
Aerial Ant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1249715 ft
United States

ALWAYS use line of sight! Now you'll need to look at your screen to see what you're recording, taking pictures of or change settings but if you're flying 3000ft out there's no way you can physically see it. Now if you fly beyond eyesight  you are taking a risk so use your judgement and hopefully it will be safe.
2017-7-27
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 274327 ft
United States

You can't see a drone 4000' out but technically it's still in a line of sight... anywhere over 50' I don't even try to look at it because you can't really tell which way it's going. I d rather focus on the screen and fly it properly..
2017-7-27
Use props
Resqman911
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28045 ft
United States

I fly looking at the screen right from take off, I typically switch to line of site on landing.
2017-7-27
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

LoS or Line of sight is more of a math equation related to RF.  makes good sense as well with the Spark since the spark's signal is Wifi (2.4Ghz & 5.5-5.8Ghz)  and those signals are very much a Line of Sight propgation pattern.

it doesn't mean actual visual sight..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-of-sight_propagation
2017-7-27
Use props
MaikR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322087 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I want to keep looking at my drone. I think I look at the screen about 30% of the time..... 70% my eyes on the drone
2017-7-27
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

when i was flying in a field or at altitude most of my flying i did on screen...  if i was flying around neighborhood i watched it 20% screen 80% watching the drone itself.. most on screen watching was when it got too far.   i suggest keeping the spark closer until a Firmware update mentioned fixes for range/signals/ similar items..  
2017-7-27
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

I think there are two uses of the term which does confuse. There is line of sight from a reception perspective with nothing between the controller and the drone to ensure good communication. There is also line of sight as in the user being able to physically see the drone they are in control of.  Here I see a cultural difference - in the UK and EU (most) leisure users feel compelled to use their drone by the regulations and keep it within line of site i.e. being able to see it with the naked eye. In the states this does not see to be the case.

Personally, having used a phantom previously I was happy I could still see it at 500m from me at the edge of the EU regulations. If I am honest at 200m I really struggle to see the spark and I've got pretty good eyesight. Personally for me that means that is the distance I will be prepared to fly it from me. Also, I think the spark is much more useful and the footage so much better if it is kept much closer to me. I spend half my time with it less that 2 or 3 metres away from me using if for close up smooth filming.
2017-7-27
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

Convert Posted at 2017-7-27 23:15
I think there are two uses of the term which does confuse. There is line of sight from a reception perspective with nothing between the controller and the drone to ensure good communication. There is also line of sight as in the user being able to physically see the drone they are in control of.  Here I see a cultural difference - in the UK and EU (most) leisure users feel compelled to use their drone by the regulations and keep it within line of site i.e. being able to see it with the naked eye. In the states this does not see to be the case.

Personally, having used a phantom previously I was happy I could still see it at 500m from me at the edge of the EU regulations. If I am honest at 200m I really struggle to see the spark and I've got pretty good eyesight. Personally for me that means that is the distance I will be prepared to fly it from me. Also, I think the spark is much more useful and the footage so much better if it is kept much closer to me. I spend half my time with it less that 2 or 3 metres away from me using if for close up smooth filming.

I live in Italy, I can say that some zones at 120mt I miss the signal with RC, others
  I miss the signal at 560mt (open country test, no homes, only fruit trees).

We know that in the EU the power of Antennas is 0.09W against 0.4W Americans, 4 times less powerful.

By reading here I can interpret, that for a greater signal stability the Spark must stay at 70/100Mt(height) to go farther away?

curvature of the earth, trees, hills, houses are the most serious problems for the Wi-fi?

But if we change the antennas (more powerful) change the result? Even if I live in the EU?

not want to go 10km from me .. just get a signal ROCK SOLID!
2017-7-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

PascalG Posted at 2017-7-27 17:31
You can't see a drone 4000' out but technically it's still in a line of sight... anywhere over 50' I don't even try to look at it because you can't really tell which way it's going. I d rather focus on the screen and fly it properly..

Rules don't take Los into consideration you must use VLOS, it's difficult sometimes with spark .
2017-7-28
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Lian82 Posted at 2017-7-28 00:14
I live in Italy, I can say that some zones at 120mt I miss the signal with RC, others
  I miss the signal at 560mt (open country test, no homes, only fruit trees).

I see your frustration. Maybe I have been lucky but so far I have always had good/excellent connection between RC and spark within VLOS. In the EU, only used 5.8ghz so far and not OTG cable.
2017-7-28
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Italy

Convert Posted at 2017-7-28 01:26
I see your frustration. Maybe I have been lucky but so far I have always had good/excellent connection between RC and spark within VLOS. In the EU, only used 5.8ghz so far and not OTG cable.

don't use 2.4ghz?
2017-7-28
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
United Kingdom

not bothered yet.
edit - but I'm calling vlos what I can actually see a tiny drone at, so about 200m max.
2017-7-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Convert Posted at 2017-7-28 02:21
not bothered yet.
edit - but I'm calling vlos what I can actually see a tiny drone at, so about 200m max.

If you use prop guards, you can see it much further.
2017-7-28
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

i will fly mostly with the screen if the screen don't lag as much with OTG, other than that i look at the drone mostly
2017-7-28
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Italy

prop guards reduce time fly?
2017-7-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules