12Next >
8276 51 2017-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MARSAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

If you're the courageous type and you prefer to catch your Mavic with your hand without using the RC, try this:
As soon as your hand has a good grip of your landed Mavic, turn it upside down and the motors will stop instantly.
No need to use the RC at this point to turn off the motors.

2017-7-27
Use props
STRIDE8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

HA.. NO THanks I like using my hands or flying my Mavic
2017-7-27
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

STRIDE8 Posted at 2017-7-27 14:16
HA.. NO THanks I like using my hands or flying my Mavic

That's really bad luck.
If you grab the Mavic nicely from below and then immediately turn it upside down, the motors will stop instantly.
It worked for me.
No injury to my hand!
2017-7-27
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

I hand catch my mavic but that sounds quite risky. My idea is, if it is safe to land I would just land it otherwise I will hand catch. Cheers for the tip
2017-7-27
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

cristianc Posted at 2017-7-27 14:39
I hand catch my mavic but that sounds quite risky. My idea is, if it is safe to land I would just land it otherwise I will hand catch. Cheers for the tip

Yes, hand catching the Mavic is risky, but it would also be risky to let the Mavic land on totally unsuitable ground.
2017-7-27
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
France

You missed couple of things. Need to turn off the VS otherwise you will be playing CATCH ME IF YOU CAN    with the AC jumping up and down like  
2017-7-27
Use props
Asainz320
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hand catch almost every time. I dont have my VPS turned off and I dont have to play catch me if you can with it. I have gotten so good at it that my Mavic looks like a bird landing on my palm. Just bring it down, extend your hand out under the Mavic, it will try going up just a bit, just keep pressing down on the stick and it will initiate the landing. Just let it land on your hand, you dont need to grab it. Keep your hand at the same level or raise it slightly until the motors turn off. Otherwise the Mavic will think that it is still descending and wont turn off as quick. I think I will make a video about it
2017-7-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

We do not recommend hand catching the drone, especially when the drone had not mounted the props guards for the safety concern.
2017-7-27
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-27 19:00
We do not recommend hand catching the drone, especially when the drone had not mounted the props guards for the safety concern.

I agree with your safety concern, of course, but there could be situations where hand catching the Mavic is the only solution, i.e. to avoid that the Mavic falls into water.
2017-7-27
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-7-27 18:35
I hand catch almost every time. I dont have my VPS turned off and I dont have to play catch me if you can with it. I have gotten so good at it that my Mavic looks like a bird landing on my palm. Just bring it down, extend your hand out under the Mavic, it will try going up just a bit, just keep pressing down on the stick and it will initiate the landing. Just let it land on your hand, you dont need to grab it. Keep your hand at the same level or raise it slightly until the motors turn off. Otherwise the Mavic will think that it is still descending and wont turn off as quick. I think I will make a video about it

You don't need to make a video clip as Ed Ricker (among others) already made one, and he left all sensors on - see second part of his video clip.
My twist to this is that once you have the Mavic tightly in your hand, forget the RC, but turn the Mavic upside down to make the motors stop instantly.

Here is Ed Ricker's video clip:
2017-7-27
Use props
sundance87
lvl.1
Flight distance : 423848 ft
Switzerland

Thankfully the Mavic flies steady as a rock. Makes hand-catch alot easier. Haven't turned of VPS. Just need to push down on the stick or it tries to escape :-D
2017-7-28
Use props
chalde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-7-27 17:37
You missed couple of things. Need to turn off the VS otherwise you will be playing CATCH ME IF YOU CAN    with the AC jumping up and down like

This is completely incorrect.

As soon as the Mavic detects your hand, it will go back up - but holding the stick down, the same way done when landing normally will initiate landing. The Mavic will simply land in your hand, gently, and turn off the motors itself.
2017-7-28
Use props
chalde
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-7-27 23:54
You don't need to make a video clip as Ed Ricker (among others) already made one, and he left all sensors on - see second part of his video clip.
My twist to this is that once you have the Mavic tightly in your hand, forget the RC, but turn the Mavic upside down to make the motors stop instantly.

He's also doing it wrong. As Asainz320 also said, the proper way is to get the mavic to detect your hand and land in it, as it will land on concrete. It behaves the same way the Spark will.

Looks like I will have to finally make that video to show how it's done properly.
2017-7-28
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

I hand catch most of the time because there is no flat area to land the Mavic in most mountain locations where I fly. No need to turn off the sensors, I just catch from below and from (the hand goes just in front of the gimbal). The Mavic does not detect the hand and try to fly away if this is done correctly. If done, incorrectly just grab hold, and pull full left stick down and it will shut down in a few seconds anyway.  I  have now done this well over a hundred times with no issue.  (I know it's not recommended but for where I fly, it's the best option).
2017-7-28
Use props
Sportbike*Pilot
lvl.2

United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-7-27 14:39
That's really bad luck.
If you grab the Mavic nicely from below and then immediately turn it upside down, the motors will stop instantly.
It worked for me.

I did the exact thing in an emergency and it worked
2017-7-28
Use props
Asainz320
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I guess thats another way of doing it, but the way I see it is that you're fighting the Mavic and putting extra strain on the motors for nothing. Also if you loose the grip while turning it, you will probably get cut and your Mavic will crash. Same goes for grabbing it without having it land by itself. When you grab it with it will go full throttle trying to escape. Thats a heaving strain on motors and battery. But again, to each its own and its all about how comfortable you are doing it one way or another. As long as you dont get cut you're good lol!
2017-7-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

MARSAN Posted at 2017-7-27 23:49
I agree with your safety concern, of course, but there could be situations where hand catching the Mavic is the only solution, i.e. to avoid that the Mavic falls into water.

Catching Mavic and turning over past 90 degrees is falisafe turn off motors, same on the spark. It's a little bit trickier with Mavic because longer arms. When Mavic came out first if it turned over it's motors would continue turning only csc could turn it off, or just leave it and it would cut your grass for you.. lol
2017-7-28
Use props
chalde
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-7-28 07:11
I guess thats another way of doing it, but the way I see it is that you're fighting the Mavic and putting extra strain on the motors for nothing. Also if you loose the grip while turning it, you will probably get cut and your Mavic will crash. Same goes for grabbing it without having it land by itself. When you grab it with it will go full throttle trying to escape. Thats a heaving strain on motors and battery. But again, to each its own and its all about how comfortable you are doing it one way or another. As long as you dont get cut you're good lol!

Exactly - Fighting the mavic is the wrong way to do it. Right there, by forcing the motors to fight back, it's telling you that you're doing something you're not supposed to do.
2017-7-28
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-7-28 07:11

Flying your Mavic in Sport Mode also puts tremendous strain on the motors, to a point where they even get really hot.
My method of shutting down the Mavic takes about 3 seconds and the RC is not required in that particular phase.
Anyway, if you feel more comfortable to hand catch your Mavic and then shut it down using the left stick of the RC, that's alright.

By the way, we now have a new greeting: Fly safe and don't get cut...
2017-7-28
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Sportbike*Pilot Posted at 2017-7-28 06:11
I did the exact thing in an emergency and it worked

That is also how I found out: In an emergency!
I am really glad that DJI implemented this possibility, otherwise my Mavic would be bits and pieces now.
2017-7-28
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-7-28 05:57
I hand catch most of the time because there is no flat area to land the Mavic in most mountain locations where I fly. No need to turn off the sensors, I just catch from below and from (the hand goes just in front of the gimbal). The Mavic does not detect the hand and try to fly away if this is done correctly. If done, incorrectly just grab hold, and pull full left stick down and it will shut down in a few seconds anyway.  I  have now done this well over a hundred times with no issue.  (I know it's not recommended but for where I fly, it's the best option).

Correct, you don't need to turn the sensors off.
By the way, even in Sport Mode the bottom sensors will work, if they have been activated in the MC menu.
Anyway, you could now try to tilt the Mavic forward once you have a firm grip on it and shut it off without the RC.
2017-7-28
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

chalde Posted at 2017-7-28 04:45
This is completely incorrect.

As soon as the Mavic detects your hand, it will go back up - but holding the stick down, the same way done when landing normally will initiate landing. The Mavic will simply land in your hand, gently, and turn off the motors itself.

The Mavic's reaction to the presence of a hand below its belly is very slow, when the sensors are activated.
Applying my method in one swift movement will shut the Mavic's motors off in a few seconds.
2017-7-28
Use props
Sportbike*Pilot
lvl.2

United States

By the way, glad you've healed and for posting.
2017-7-28
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Sportbike*Pilot Posted at 2017-7-28 08:47
By the way, glad you've healed and for posting.

Healed from what?
2017-7-28
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-7-28 05:57

I deem you the most correct in this thread... probably because I do the exact same thing... easy peasy once you've practiced a few times...
2017-7-28
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

chalde Posted at 2017-7-28 08:11
Exactly - Fighting the mavic is the wrong way to do it. Right there, by forcing the motors to fight back, it's telling you that you're doing something you're not supposed to do.

In Sport Mode the Mavic is also fighting and sounds more like an angry bird heating up its motors...
2017-7-28
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-28 07:55
Catching Mavic and turning over past 90 degrees is falisafe turn off motors, same on the spark. It's a little bit trickier with Mavic because longer arms. When Mavic came out first if it turned over it's motors would continue turning only csc could turn it off, or just leave it and it would cut your grass for you.. lol

Where I fly my Mavic there are also a couple of guys flying their FPV drones and I've seen their drones crash and turn belly up, then mowing the grass...
2017-7-28
Use props
Sportbike*Pilot
lvl.2

United States

your knuckle
2017-7-28
Use props
Asainz320
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-7-28 08:11
Flying your Mavic in Sport Mode also puts tremendous strain on the motors, to a point where they even get really hot.
My method of shutting down the Mavic takes about 3 seconds and the RC is not required in that particular phase.
Anyway, if you feel more comfortable to hand catch your Mavic and then shut it down using the left stick of the RC, that's alright.

Its true that flying in sports mode also cause strain on the motors and battery, but its for something and not for nothing lol! I like that new saying
2017-7-28
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Nope, nothing wrong, nothing injured on my knuckles.
2017-7-28
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-7-28 09:00
Its true that flying in sports mode also cause strain on the motors and battery, but its for something and not for nothing lol! I like that new saying

Well, I guess that my method does shut off the Mavic's motors and without using the RC.
2017-7-28
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Have to agree with Chalde.  I didn't turn anything off, no VPS, no landing protection, nothing.  I stay away from the rear of the Mavic, landing with the camera facing me, reach up and take very light hold of the forward portion under the battery from the front, and pull left stick down.  I'm not sure you could get me to turn it upside down.  It seems to me that it would put plenty of torque on the motors/props as you turned the rapidly spinning motors/props 180 degrees.  Think of the torque of a spinning bicycle wheel or motorcycle wheel.  There's plenty of resistance to a rotation of the axis.  No thanks.  I rarely hand catch, but I've done it a few times to be sure I could do it safely.
2017-7-28
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-7-28 09:58
Have to agree with Chalde.  I didn't turn anything off, no VPS, no landing protection, nothing.  I stay away from the rear of the Mavic, landing with the camera facing me, reach up and take very light hold of the forward portion under the battery from the front, and pull left stick down.  I'm not sure you could get me to turn it upside down.  It seems to me that it would put plenty of torque on the motors/props as you turned the rapidly spinning motors/props 180 degrees.  Think of the torque of a spinning bicycle wheel or motorcycle wheel.  There's plenty of resistance to a rotation of the axis.  No thanks.  I rarely hand catch, but I've done it a few times to be sure I could do it safely.

Then you never fly your Mavic in Sport Mode?
Anyway, you cannot compare a passively spinning bicycle wheel with featherlight actively spinning propellers.
2017-7-28
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
United States

Tombolian Posted at 2017-7-28 08:53
I deem you the most correct in this thread... probably because I do the exact same thing... easy peasy once you've practiced a few times...

Right!  

It *is* good to practice this in a safe place a few times but it really is easy.
2017-7-28
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-7-28 08:59
Where I fly my Mavic there are also a couple of guys flying their FPV drones and I've seen their drones crash and turn belly up, then mowing the grass...

Crash as a result of a landing attempt?
2017-7-28
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-7-28 11:16
Crash as a result of a landing attempt?

No, those FPV guys fly their drones like chaotic Kamikazes, these drones look like they are crashing all the time.
2017-7-28
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-7-28 12:46
No, those FPV guys fly their drones like chaotic Kamikazes, these drones look like they are crashing all the time.

Yeah, that's my experience here as well. It's FPV *racing* that really gets a lot of crashes.
2017-7-28
Use props
fans015d3523
lvl.3
Flight distance : 467799 ft
Spain

Simply. deactivate "Landing Protection".
2017-7-28
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Then you never fly your Mavic in Sport Mode?

I've had it in Sport mode one time.  Never found a need for it yet.
2017-7-28
Use props
lotpb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2384938 ft
United States

thank you for your video
2017-7-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules