Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire 2 - Go4 App Crashing/Issues
1210 16 2017-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LW UAS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 858228 ft
United States

Before posting this I read the entire string from the "Mobile device CPU fully..." post detailing issues with iOS devices after recent software/firmware updates. I updated the firmware on my I2 and two RCs, as well as the apps on my Galaxy Tab S2 and Galaxy S8+, on July 5th. I did a few short test flights and had no issues. Then, on a job a few days later the Go4 app on the Tab S2 (used on the slave/gimbal RC) crashed twice during a period of 4 sets of batteries. The next time I flew was a little over a week later on another job, and this time the Tab S2 crashed at least once, if not twice, on every flight. Along with that, the S8+ crashed on the Master (pilot) RC on two separate occasions. On both devices I have Video Cache off, and I always kill all other apps from running in background. Before the upgrade of firmware and software on July 5th, everything ran fine with no app crashes. On July 21st I had a friend help me do some tests to try and figure out where the problem was. We started out using the exact same setup/equipment I was using on my last job, and during our first flight the Tab S2 crashed about 2/3 through the flight. For flight 2 we switched out the Tab S2 for one of my friend's iPad Mini 2. It started to work okay, but then displayed the "Mobile device CPU fully loaded..." error message discussed in the post I spoke of above. The video started to extremely lag and never got better. For flight 3 we changed to my friend's second iPad Mini 2, but the same series of events happened, and then when I was about to land the app crashed on the S8+ (still on the Master RC). After flying my friend noticed his OS needed updating but we did not have anymore time to test that day. He updated his OS that night and re-installed the Go4 app. Yesterday we got out to test again and did two flights with S8+ on Master and iPad Mini 2 on Slave. The first flight went great with no issues until right before I was about to land, and the app on the iPad Mini 2 crashed. On the second flight about 1/3 of the way through the "Mobile device CPU fully loaded..." error displayed and the video had extreme lag. It remained this way for the rest of the flight, and then when the flight was almost done the Go4 app crashed on the S8+. Today I started reseach here on the forum, and discovered the post mentioned above. Towards the end of the string posters mention a new version of the Go4 app was released for iOS (a couple days ago) that seems to fix the issue. This version is 4.1.4, and I can confirm the version I was using yesterday was 4.1.3. Looking at the Google Play Store, the current versions are 4.1.3 for Android devices. Can anyone further confirm the 4.1.4 iOS release has completely solved the issues with errors and video lag? Also, anyone from DJI please confirm if there will be a release any time soon of 4.1.4 for Android to fix the app crash issues on those devices.

Thanks for any help/feedback that can be offered!
2017-7-27
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Android has 4.1.4 out today.  However, based on what you say, I'd forget about trying to make Android work and move to an iPad Pro with the A10X processor.  Samsung has really messed up the Android OS system to run well imho.  I have a Sam. tablet and the S6 edge phone which are both on the approved list, but they crash out or refuse to connect at times needing a reboot.  I gave up using them.  Video lag has been awful too and I don't think they will ever fix it as it's been getting worse with each version.  If you read the Google Play Store reviews, people are also complaining about the new 4.1.4 self-launching the background too.

I'll add on the tablet, mine is lagging now even in non-GO programs on pressing a screen button.  Might take 5-10 seconds to respond.  If I reboot the tablet it will run well, but given time it heats up and maybe other nonsense apps self-start up and then performance goes downhill fast.  GO 4 will come to a stop and crash out.

I haven't seen that self-launching behavior in iOS yet.  However, my Air 2 is beginning to video lag out now too so it's due for replacing with a Pro A10X at some point soon.  It's too old to keep up with GO 4.

2017-7-27
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Most users who are on android 6 and any current tablet do not have any issue with Go app. If going to Ipad pro gives you confidence, it is a good thing.
2017-7-27
Use props
ronin rs211
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

iPad Pro and you will be happy and pi**ed off that you were forced to spend another $728.00 to fix what DJI broke..
2017-7-27
Use props
kenavata
lvl.3
Flight distance : 742126 ft
United Kingdom

ronin rs211 Posted at 2017-7-27 21:43
iPad Pro and you will be happy and pi**ed off that you were forced to spend another $728.00 to fix what DJI broke..

+1 for the Ipad Pro
2017-7-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry for the experience with APP.
The new APP is released in batches, please wait patiently.
And the CPU Overloaded issue has been improved in new APP, please keep us updated when you update the version.
2017-7-28
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-28 04:05
Sorry for the experience with APP.
The new APP is released in batches, please wait patiently.
And the CPU Overloaded issue has been improved in new APP, please keep us updated when you update the version.

Can you please clarify what you mean by "released in batches" DJI Mindy? Do you mean by region, or something else? Does the latest version for iOS 4.1.5 address the CPU Overload issue?
Kind regards
Allan
2017-7-28
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

ronin rs211 Posted at 2017-7-27 21:43

Ya, would have been nice to know the resource requirements before I just spent a few hundred on an iPad mini 4. Ha ha ...
2017-7-28
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

allanart Posted at 2017-7-28 06:02
Can you please clarify what you mean by "released in batches" DJI Mindy? Do you mean by region, or something else? Does the latest version for iOS 4.1.5 address the CPU Overload issue?
Kind regards
Allan

West coast of USA here. Just updated to 4.1.5 -- haven't tried yet, still at work ha ha.  But as soon as I can get some time I'm going to see how the CPU looks now.

Seems like it came out today or maybe late yesterday ...
2017-7-28
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-7-28 11:44
West coast of USA here. Just updated to 4.1.5 -- haven't tried yet, still at work ha ha.  But as soon as I can get some time I'm going to see how the CPU looks now.

Seems like it came out today or maybe late yesterday ...

Thanks, but we already have the APP, what we need to know is if intended to solve the CPU Overload problem..
2017-7-28
Use props
ronin rs211
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

It will solve the problem if you are using the new iPad Pro, as for everything that worked before the new app you may be sh**t out of luck..
2017-7-28
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

allanart Posted at 2017-7-28 12:42
Thanks, but we already have the APP, what we need to know is if intended to solve the CPU Overload problem..

Ahh gotcha.

Well, for what it's worth, we took a longer flight last night (4.1.5) than the previous day (4.1.4), and did not get any CPU errors at all.

So something must have been improved.

The version differences on App Store between 4.1.4 and 4.1.5 show all of the same items that were added or fixed. So it is unclear what specifically changed. I'd be curious to know what was causing CPU issues.
2017-7-29
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

The 4.1.5 version mentions the YAW tuning fix for the I2, but it isn't there in the menu.  However, it's on the P4 menu though, but the buttons don't change the numerical settings from 0.0 and it changes the Roll and not the Yaw.  Go figger!

Does anyone test this software at DJI before posting it?  Some of mistakes are really obvious.  
2017-7-29
Use props
LW UAS
lvl.4
United States

Thanks for everyone's input! What I am really trying to figure out are 2 things. First, is if the latest version of Go4 for iOS (4.1.5 now I believe?) has no issues with hardware that worked fine with the app pre June 2017, such as the iPad Mini 2, 3, and 4. Second, has anyone using Android hardware that had no issues with Go4 pre June 2017 tried out 4.1.4, and if so how well is it working? I plan to test all of the mobile devices I mentioned in my OP with their new apps this coming week, but would love any feedback from people who have already tried them out.

I also appreciate the recommendations for upgrading my hardware, and as I have been following other strings on this subject I know and understand your frustrations! One of the things I am trying to conclude with all of this is if it will be necessary to upgrade in order to continue working with this platform. Several people have said they believe the only solution is to use a brand new iPad Pro, and if there is only one mobile device that is guaranteed to work with Go4 then DJI needs to make that clear to all users. So here is my direct question to DJI Mindy (or any other admin), is the new iPad Pro the only mobile device fully compatible with Go4 from version 4.1.3 and up?

Ultimately this whole debacle with the Go4 app points out the biggest weakness in the DJI ecosystem, the use of mobile devices as both an interface and monitoring solution for operation. With the I1, DJI should have created a built-in interface on the RC that allowed changing flight and camera settings without requiring using a 3rd party mobile device running an app, and then a monitor could be plugged into the HDMI and mounted to the RC or on a stand. Combining it all together on non-proprietary hardware opens the door for scenarios like what I am dealing with. Now I know that the new Cendence RC and CrystalSky monitors being released will help remedy this weakness, but these items should not be add-ons, they should be part of the I2 package to begin with. When I bought my I2 I should have had an option to have either a "smart" RC, CS monitor, or both. I would have happily spent several hundred dollars more, skipped buying a new tablet, and had a working drone without fears of updates! In fact, if DJI wants good PR they should offer a discount on CS monitors to I2 owners, or an option to return their current RC for a discount on the Cendence RC. Balls in your court DJI, we spent money with you because we believed you were offering a professional solution for our clients, now you need to help us look professional and not like fools which Go4 updates have done to a lot of people!
2017-7-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-7-29 07:02
The 4.1.5 version mentions the YAW tuning fix for the I2, but it isn't there in the menu.  However, it's on the P4 menu though, but the buttons don't change the numerical settings from 0.0 and it changes the Roll and not the Yaw.  Go figger!

Does anyone test this software at DJI before posting it?  Some of mistakes are really obvious.

We are really sorry for the confusion and trouble caused, ''Adjust Yaw tuning'' is only available for Phantom 4 series products at the moment, but this feature doesn't work properly, our engineer is working on it, appreciate your patience.
2017-7-30
Use props
kg11
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25466 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

LW UAS Posted at 2017-7-29 13:30
Thanks for everyone's input! What I am really trying to figure out are 2 things. First, is if the latest version of Go4 for iOS (4.1.5 now I believe?) has no issues with hardware that worked fine with the app pre June 2017, such as the iPad Mini 2, 3, and 4. Second, has anyone using Android hardware that had no issues with Go4 pre June 2017 tried out 4.1.4, and if so how well is it working? I plan to test all of the mobile devices I mentioned in my OP with their new apps this coming week, but would love any feedback from people who have already tried them out.

I also appreciate the recommendations for upgrading my hardware, and as I have been following other strings on this subject I know and understand your frustrations! One of the things I am trying to conclude with all of this is if it will be necessary to upgrade in order to continue working with this platform. Several people have said they believe the only solution is to use a brand new iPad Pro, and if there is only one mobile device that is guaranteed to work with Go4 then DJI needs to make that clear to all users. So here is my direct question to DJI Mindy (or any other admin), is the new iPad Pro the only mobile device fully compatible with Go4 from version 4.1.3 and up?

I have the crystal sky on my I2 remote and suffer constant video Transmission loss 300metres out in a park with no surrounding interference and also total lose of connection between remote and I2 at just over 600 metres. So unless the Crystal sky is stupidly under powered or the Go4 software is problematic it is hard to work out an alternative. As for IOS I have just come off an I pad mini 4 as my go to device and I must admit it was pretty solid. As for the iPad Pro being the only device you can use, it hasn't been out that long nor has the I2 so unless DJI have got into bed with apple and are building devices specifically for DJI,again hard to believe. As a general rule a samsung device is on paper at the high end of devices always better than an apple equivalent in the hardware department and should in effect be able to run apps faster. So having purchased a device that is extremely powerful dedicated to running only one App "Go4" I thought I had cracked it. Not sure if I have,I think ii might be the weakest link. Starting to wonder seriously if purchasing the crystal sky was a smart move
2017-8-7
Use props
LW UAS
lvl.4
United States

kg11 Posted at 2017-8-7 12:29
I have the crystal sky on my I2 remote and suffer constant video Transmission loss 300metres out in a park with no surrounding interference and also total lose of connection between remote and I2 at just over 600 metres. So unless the Crystal sky is stupidly under powered or the Go4 software is problematic it is hard to work out an alternative. As for IOS I have just come off an I pad mini 4 as my go to device and I must admit it was pretty solid. As for the iPad Pro being the only device you can use, it hasn't been out that long nor has the I2 so unless DJI have got into bed with apple and are building devices specifically for DJI,again hard to believe. As a general rule a samsung device is on paper at the high end of devices always better than an apple equivalent in the hardware department and should in effect be able to run apps faster. So having purchased a device that is extremely powerful dedicated to running only one App "Go4" I thought I had cracked it. Not sure if I have,I think ii might be the weakest link. Starting to wonder seriously if purchasing the crystal sky was a smart move

Thanks for the info about your CrystalSky experience so far, and your iOS feedback. Did you have problems with your Mini4 and the Go4 app version 4.1.3, and if so were they fixed with the latest update to 4.1.5?

I have done several days of flying since I updated the Mini2 to 4.1.5 and my Samsung devices to 4.1.4, and so far have had no issues with the Go4 app on any of the devices. A few days ago I did have my gimbal RC (slave) completely disconnect from the aircraft during flight, and it required a complete restart of the RC (not the app), but this was the first time that ever happened to me so not sure what caused it!
2017-8-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules