Gimble 'Buzzing'
2035 4 2015-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jon
lvl.3

United Kingdom

My Inspire 1 camera gimble has started buzzing, has anyone else experienced this?

It appears to function perfectly, but when sat completely stationary, it buzzes, and if you rest your finger on it, you can feel it vibrating.

if you move the inspire, or slightly jog the camera, it sops buzzing until completely settled and stationary, when it begins to buzz again.

I have a second inspire (unused) and I tried the camera / gimble assy from that on this Inspire and it's completely silent.  Any thought?

As I say, it appears to operate normaly.

The little fan is running fine, the buzz appears to be from the gimble servos themselves.

I did think the camera body seemed to run rather warm (fan definately running) but after comparing it with the second unit, it appears they run that way.
Other than the 'Adjust gimble roll', and 'Gimble Auto Calibration', are there any other settings or resets I can do?

Thanks in advance for any opinions / thoughts.

Jon

2015-3-23
Use props
jon
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Don't all reply at once!
2015-3-25
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

It sounds as though the gimbal motors are under load, ie current being applied without a command. I wonder, have you tried the various camera control settings? Try the FPV control and then free after you rotate the gimbal is there still a noise? What about after hitting the snap to FPV view? Once it re centres is there still a noise? After all those things are tried are you sure what you are hearing isn't the hard drive? There is a computer in that camera?
2015-3-25
Use props
jon
lvl.3

United Kingdom

It certainly sounds as if the servos are trying too hard to position the gimble. If its working, i.e., if you move the inspire about, the gimble does its job steadying the camera and it's silent, it really only starts buzzing when left completely still (sat on my table), and as soon as the camera assy stops swaying on the rubber mounts.... bzzzzz....bzzzzz....bzzzzz!
I have an audio file (.wav) i recorded of it doing it, but can't attach it on the forum.
It buzzes for around 4 seconds, then stops for around 2 seconds, then buzzes again etc etc.
As it doesn't do it during movement, I suspect during flight it isn't doing it at all.
As I said, if I fit the camera/gimble from my spare Inspire, its completely silent.
2015-3-25
Use props
jon
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I thought I would report back on this camera/gimbal issue and share my experience.

I emailed DJI's European service centre in Germany giving details, video and audio recording of my issue, and received an RMA within a day or so.
They said I only needed to return the camera/gimbal and not the whole Inspire, which was good.
Then on April 1st I took a trip to my local Fedex office, who robbed me blind for the carriage from UK to Germany (£48, or about $75 for a 5" x 5" x 5" box weighing 470 grams, or about a pound) and announced that it wouldn't arrive in Germany until the 7th, or maybe 8th April due to the bank holiday!
Anyways, I assume it arrived at that time, and although I heard nothing from DJI, I got an email from UPS announcing it would be delivered to me on the 22nd, which it did.
I was pleasantly surprised when a complete, new Gimbal arrived, retail packaged with protective case and filters, along with my original protective case that I had returned the old gimbal in.
So, under two weeks, no hassle (other than being rogered by Fedex) and no quibble - brand new replacement.
Thank you DJI Europe, an excellent service. I'm a very happy customer

Jon
2015-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules