Black lines recorded to SD card- not overexposure warning
1475 11 2017-7-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans80534a2e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 305125 ft
United States

Hello community.  If this is solvable, it would totally save my drone.  Recently my Phantom 4 Pro+ started dropping signal from very short distances, and it became unusable, so I reluctantly updated the firmware.  I still get a dropped signal sometimes, the range isn't as good, and the app is a lot slower, but the drone is basically usable except for one major drawback.  I'm getting black lines that look a lot like zebra stripes recorded to the SD card in my drone.  These lines appear in the overexposed areas of my image, but the 'Overexposure warning' is turned off.  Even if it were turned on, the lines should never be recorded to the internal card, since it is just there for monitoring.  
This is a major problem, as I sometimes need to overexpose a certain part of my image, especially on cloudy days where the sky is blown out white.  Called customer service, and the guy was clueless.  Told me to underexpose everything.  I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if it is fixable.  My controller and drone have been firmware updated and I did a reset, but still am having the problem.  My firmware is DJI GO 4.1.0, drone firmware 1.04.0602.  Thanks so much!  Here is a video showing the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=1rJrmt4uHZM
2017-7-28
Use props
fans80534a2e
lvl.1
United States

Sorry, if that youtube link doesn't work, try this:  
2017-7-28
Use props
racer888
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99970 ft
United States

fans80534a2e Posted at 2017-7-28 10:01
Sorry, if that youtube link doesn't work, try this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rJrmt4uHZM

Are you using a custom style setting for the camera with -2 or greater contrast ?
2017-7-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fans80534a2e Posted at 2017-7-28 10:01
Sorry, if that youtube link doesn't work, try this:  

You are quite correct in your assumptions. This is indeed a camera fault, but I have never been able to get a handle on what causes it. Normally you would send the aircraft back to DJI to have it repaired, but it might also be worthwhile trying to re-seat any of the cables in the gimbal area and/or check for damage to the flexible ribbon connecting to the camera.
2017-7-28
Use props
fans80534a2e
lvl.1
United States

racer888 Posted at 2017-7-28 10:21
Are you using a custom style setting for the camera with -2 or greater contrast ?

Thanks for the response. Yes, in the clips you saw I'm shooting Cinelike with -3 for everything.  In my experience that produces the nicest flat image for color grading (I don't like Dlog).  I've used this setting plenty before, and never had these black lines in the video.  Black lines like these should never be recorded no matter what settings you're using.  Thanks though!
2017-7-30
Use props
fans80534a2e
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-28 15:31
You are quite correct in your assumptions. This is indeed a camera fault, but I have never been able to get a handle on what causes it. Normally you would send the aircraft back to DJI to have it repaired, but it might also be worthwhile trying to re-seat any of the cables in the gimbal area and/or check for damage to the flexible ribbon connecting to the camera.

Thanks for the tip.  The ribbon looks pretty secure.  Seems a lot like a software thing, but still haven't been able to figure anything out.  I appreciate the response.  Really hope DJI can help me with this, as its hard to use this drone for professional purposes now.  
2017-7-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fans80534a2e Posted at 2017-7-30 09:24
Thanks for the tip.  The ribbon looks pretty secure.  Seems a lot like a software thing, but still haven't been able to figure anything out.  I appreciate the response.  Really hope DJI can help me with this, as its hard to use this drone for professional purposes now.

This could be a first time, but that problem has never been caused by software/firmware, it has always been a physical camera fault.
2017-7-30
Use props
fans80534a2e
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-30 15:55
This could be a first time, but that problem has never been caused by software/firmware, it has always been a physical camera fault.

You could be right, as I've tried everything and the lines are still there.  Its just very odd that it happened to coincide with the firmware update.  Sadly, it looks like I'm going to have to send it in.  Really hope they don't charge me, since its less than a year old, and there haven't been any crashes.  Thanks for your help!
2017-8-1
Use props
Jesse Beer
New
United States

fans80534a2e Posted at 2017-8-1 13:14
You could be right, as I've tried everything and the lines are still there.  Its just very odd that it happened to coincide with the firmware update.  Sadly, it looks like I'm going to have to send it in.  Really hope they don't charge me, since its less than a year old, and there haven't been any crashes.  Thanks for your help!

did you ever figure this one out? I have the same thing happening but red lines
2018-9-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Jesse Beer Posted at 2018-9-28 17:39
did you ever figure this one out? I have the same thing happening but red lines
[view_image]

As per the rest of the post, it is a camera fault. Best to send it to DJI for repair.
2018-9-28
Use props
fans80534a2e
lvl.1
United States

Jesse Beer Posted at 2018-9-28 17:39
did you ever figure this one out? I have the same thing happening but red lines
[view_image]

Hey Jesse.  The bad news is I had to send it back to DJI.  The good news is they fixed it, and my drone hasn't done it since, knock on wood.
2018-9-30
Use props
Jesse Beer
New
United States

fans80534a2e Posted at 2018-9-30 08:45
Hey Jesse.  The bad news is I had to send it back to DJI.  The good news is they fixed it, and my drone hasn't done it since, knock on wood.

Thanks for the heads up
2018-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules