Tilted Horizon remains an issue after months of frustration.
1868 16 2017-7-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansa9803815
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I'm really frustrated with the continual denial by DJI that the tilted horizon issue in the P4P exists. I've been fighting this for months now. It affects every image and video I take. Even in calm winds - it doesn't matter. I have the latest firmware and have calibrated the gimbal no less than 5 times on a surface (a plate of glass) that was carefully leveled by hand using a bubble level. Still no help.

DJI chat is clueless. I simply cannot be with my P4P for the 6-8 weeks required for a service return, and I have zero confidence in DJI that they'll actually fix it.

Anybody have suggestions on how to fix the tilted horizon issue? .... one that I haven't tried yet? Frustrated. Thanks in advance.

2017-7-28
Use props
djiuser_swp47RT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 107418 ft
Canada

Hey! I have a Phantom 4 and I got it quite recently, but I would like to take a shot at this!
2017-7-28
Use props
djiuser_swp47RT
lvl.4
Canada

Hey! I have a Phantom 4 and I got it quite recently, but I would love to take a swing! When you set up your drone, go into settings in-flight. Go down to gimbal settings, then click on "Adjust Gimbal Roll". You should be able to manually do it there. If this doesn't help, I am sure someone much more qualified than I will answer! Cheers, keep your head up
2017-7-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Tilted horizon is certainly much improved since recent updates, and has become a non issue of late, I would try swp47RT advice and see how that works.
2017-7-28
Use props
JW5255
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5291158 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have a P4 and P4P and both exhibit tilted horizons.  Typically I shoot at a higher resolution than I need and use PS (for photos) or FCPX (for videos) to level the horizon during post.  Agreed, the strength of the wind seems to increase the amount of tilt, however, I have found that after some time (minutes) on station the camera will go to an almost perfect level.  I also seem to get a right or left drift while the AC is on station, which too settles down after a few minutes. For me, a tilted horizon is easily corrected in post, so I really don't consider it a big issue.  I am just glad to get the video !  Max tilt I get is about 7 degrees, most often it is 2 to 4 degrees.
2017-7-28
Use props
fansa9803815
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_swp47RT Posted at 2017-7-28 11:59
Hey! I have a Phantom 4 and I got it quite recently, but I would love to take a swing! When you set up your drone, go into settings in-flight. Go down to gimbal settings, then click on "Adjust Gimbal Roll". You should be able to manually do it there. If this doesn't help, I am sure someone much more qualified than I will answer! Cheers, keep your head up

The gimbal roll was set at "0" degrees.
2017-7-28
Use props
fansa9803815
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

JW5255 Posted at 2017-7-28 12:59
I have a P4 and P4P and both exhibit tilted horizons.  Typically I shoot at a higher resolution than I need and use PS (for photos) or FCPX (for videos) to level the horizon during post.  Agreed, the strength of the wind seems to increase the amount of tilt, however, I have found that after some time (minutes) on station the camera will go to an almost perfect level.  I also seem to get a right or left drift while the AC is on station, which too settles down after a few minutes. For me, a tilted horizon is easily corrected in post, so I really don't consider it a big issue.  I am just glad to get the video !  Max tilt I get is about 7 degrees, most often it is 2 to 4 degrees.

I'm afraid that waiting a few minutes for it to settle down is not an option for my missions - and burning up battery life. That's like selling a suit to a man with one short pant leg and asking to just lift his leg up when he walks.

The onus is on DJI to deliver what I paid for. Tilted horizons is not mentioned in the specs. Projecting the flaw on to the P4P owner and having him/her come up with a solution is unacceptable. Call me old fashioned.
2017-7-28
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

The best way to straighten it out is in Post Processing of your image, I have noticed that issue with my P4P, you can manually adjust with the gimbal roll
2017-7-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fansa9803815 Posted at 2017-7-28 17:58
I'm afraid that waiting a few minutes for it to settle down is not an option for my missions - and burning up battery life. That's like selling a suit to a man with one short pant leg and asking to just lift his leg up when he walks.

The onus is on DJI to deliver what I paid for. Tilted horizons is not mentioned in the specs. Projecting the flaw on to the P4P owner and having him/her come up with a solution is unacceptable. Call me old fashioned.

Why do you imagine there is an option to set gimbal roll, if it's set at zero it's easy to work out what you might need to set it at to help straighten your tilt.
2017-7-29
Use props
Hemlock_Cloud
lvl.4
Canada

fansa9803815 Posted at 2017-7-28 17:55
The gimbal roll was set at "0" degrees.

Yeah, so try manually setting it to something else. Maybe that might help a bit...
2017-7-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Apologies for the inconvenience first. Please refer 2#'s suggestion and try to adjust gimbal roll first. Our engineers are trying their best to optimize the issue now, and hopefully it will not bother you any more.
2017-7-30
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Notice your right side horizon is tilted downslope, If you can't get it straightened out I would just offset it in the Gimbal roll setting so they it slopes to the left & right equally until the fix comes out. It would be less noticeable.

You can always blame it on the curvature of the Earth.
2017-7-30
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

You are lucky compared to many, your horizon tilt issue is not as bad as some in this forum have had to live with.  I would just shoot full 4k and fix the horizon in post production.  The tilt you are showing isn't terrible.  In a perfect world, there would be no tilt to our gimbals, but lets face it, there is only so much DJI can do to fix this problem.  Seems to me that this should be doable, but this must be a tough problem since it has been allowed to continue for so long.

The best luck I've had with getting my gimbal to level out is to do a gimbal calibration after doing the IMU calibration, while the bird is sitting on a perfectly level surface.  I know that the gimbal does a little dance /calibration every time you boot the bird, but it has seemed to me that the gimbal stays pretty level if I did a full calibration just after the IMU stuff on a level surface.
2017-7-30
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansa9803815 Posted at 2017-7-28 17:58

And the shortcut for camera roll adjustment is hold C2 button operated and adjust roll using right hand control wheel (whilst keeping C2 operated of course) on RC. This takes seconds to do in flight, you can have an overlay grid displayed in DJI Go 4 as well to assist.
2017-7-30
Use props
mdaugaard
lvl.2
Denmark

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-7-30 02:49
Apologies for the inconvenience first. Please refer 2#'s suggestion and try to adjust gimbal roll first. Our engineers are trying their best to optimize the issue now, and hopefully it will not bother you any more.

Same on my P3P - with all respect: not a good idea to fix problems with firmware, if you introduce new issues. I hade zero horizon tilt problems prior to this latest update. Hmm. At least let us know, if you're adressing the problem in the near future?
2017-8-19
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I am not sure how long before the next firmware is released but I had an issue with my gimbal grinding and vibrating after installing the 0602 update. I was able to get a beta firmware that fixed the gimbal issue and after doing a gimbal calibration, it has also fixed my tilted horizon when panning. So perhaps, this may fix your issue as well.
2017-8-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

mdaugaard Posted at 2017-8-19 00:48
Same on my P3P - with all respect: not a good idea to fix problems with firmware, if you introduce new issues. I hade zero horizon tilt problems prior to this latest update. Hmm. At least let us know, if you're adressing the problem in the near future?

I would recommend you to contact our Support Team via support.eu@dji.com for further assistance.
2017-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules