P2V+ self tightening propeller failure
1301 9 2017-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Friendship7
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thought I'd share a recent issue with my P2V+ that resulted in the aircraft dropping from the sky.

I'd done all the pre-flight checks, had full battery on the aircraft, and correctly installed the self tightening propellers. Took off to a height of ~150ft and was flying away from my location when all of a sudden the aircraft fell from the sky with all loss of control. Luckily it fell into a field of wheat which cushioned the impact. Upon retrieving the aircraft 3 of the self-tightening propellers were still present on the motors, however one was completely missing and nowhere to be seen. I therefore have concluded that the propeller itself had worked its way loose from the motor, hence why it fell out of the sky with all loss of control. Although the shell was badly damaged, all functions still operated, so I have just gone through the process of replacing the shell, which was fairly straight forward. I now use the spanner to ensure all of the self-tightening propellers are tight before flying - I'd recommend this to other users of the P2V+ before each flight.
2017-7-29
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Sorry for your mishap.  How did you correctly install the props?  
2017-7-29
Use props
Friendship7
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-7-29 03:59
Sorry for your mishap.  How did you correctly install the props?

Followed section 4.2 in the P2V+ user manual, quote "Spin grey marked propellers clockwise onto unmarked motors and black marked propellers anti-clockwise for black marked motors. Propellers self tighten during flight. DO NOT use thread locker".
2017-7-29
Use props
fansbd89b20b
New
United States

Same thing happened to me yesterday, except with my P3 Pro. At about 53 seconds into flight at an altitude of about 30 feet.  Biggest problem was that I was over a paved street.  When it hit, it scratched camera lens and gimbal twisted around and now has a twitch.  Also, jacked up the threading on the motor where the propeller mounts. So much for self tightening.  I just did a update, but I doubt that had anything to do with it.   Im going to call DJI on Monday to see if they will do anything about it but Im not holding my breath due to their poor customer service.  I'll post a video when I get it edited.  If you slow down the video you can see the shadow of the propeller coming off.
2017-7-29
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansbd89b20b Posted at 2017-7-29 07:13
Same thing happened to me yesterday, except with my P3 Pro. At about 53 seconds into flight at an altitude of about 30 feet.  Biggest problem was that I was over a paved street.  When it hit, it scratched camera lens and gimbal twisted around and now has a twitch.  Also, jacked up the threading on the motor where the propeller mounts. So much for self tightening.  I just did a update, but I doubt that had anything to do with it.   Im going to call DJI on Monday to see if they will do anything about it but Im not holding my breath due to their poor customer service.  I'll post a video when I get it edited.  If you slow down the video you can see the shadow of the propeller coming off.

That would be interesting to see.  Sorry for your crash.......you can always contact DJI and see what happens?
2017-7-29
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Friendship7 Posted at 2017-7-29 06:18
Followed section 4.2 in the P2V+ user manual, quote "Spin grey marked propellers clockwise onto unmarked motors and black marked propellers anti-clockwise for black marked motors. Propellers self tighten during flight. DO NOT use thread locker".

What props did you have?  Were they the 9443s or the 9450s?  

Edit:  To cut to the chase, they were probably 9450s which were included with the Phantom 2 Vision Plus V 3.0.  The 9450s may have a composite hub which is different than the metal hub which came with the original Plus.  And that means they must be installed with a little more torque because there's a risk they won't tighten adequately if they are simply spun on because the threads on the composite hub are a little rough and may not allow the prop to snug up correctly.  You need to grab the prop with one hand and the motor with another hand and turn the prop with your fingers so it is nice and snug on the motor.  Otherwise, it may spin off during flight.  

What we've learned, some of us the hard way, is to ignore the idea of just spinning the props on, and instead snug them up nice and firm with our fingers regardless of what the hub is made of.  And also it's a good idea to loosen and then snug them up again before every flight to keep them from becoming over-torqued.  The included wrench is for loosening an over-torqued prop, it shouldn't be used to tighten a prop because there's a risk of stripping the composite threads.  

2017-7-29
Use props
Friendship7
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-7-29 08:45
What props did you have?  Were they the 9443s or the 9450s?  

Edit:  To cut to the chase, they were probably 9450s which were included with the Phantom 2 Vision Plus V 3.0.  The 9450s may have a composite hub which is different than the metal hub which came with the original Plus.  And that means they must be installed with a little more torque because there's a risk they won't tighten adequately if they are simply spun on because the threads on the composite hub are a little rough and may not allow the prop to snug up correctly.  You need to grab the prop with one hand and the motor with another hand and turn the prop with your fingers so it is nice and snug on the motor.  Otherwise, it may spin off during flight.  

I don't really care what the model number of the props were, they were the ones that came with the P2V+. It's frustrating when you follow the instructions provided by DJI and this kind of thing happens. Yet another lesson in why not to buy a DJI product.
2017-7-29
Use props
X-ACTO!
lvl.2
Flight distance : 837799 ft
United States

Thats why dji made quick resales
2017-7-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sorry to hear the accident of your drone. I would recommend you to check the propellers and try to start the motors and check the rotation speed first. For the drone, a fully check is suggested to send in if applicable.
2017-7-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fansbd89b20b Posted at 2017-7-29 07:13

I would recommend you send it in for fully diagnosis and repair, please refer to the link below to contact the support to start a repair case.  http://www.dji.com/support
2017-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules