Range Question
1892 13 2017-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StarFishUK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54970 ft
United Kingdom

This isn't a complaint - I want to say from the start I love my DJI Spark.

I live in the UK and fly with an OTG cable with my phone in airplane mode. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S8 and as far as I know there is no way to stop it connecting to the Spark at 5.8Ghz. Typically I can get the Spark about 100 meters away before I start to get video signal warning messages. This is a LONG way short of the 2Km advertised and while I love the Spark this aspect of it is a big disappointment.

My questions are....

Is this going to improve with future firmware?
Is this a result of UK regulations?
Are the regulations likely to change?
If they do will the Spark be updated by firmware to give a better range?
Do other DJI drones have the same problem?

Essentially - is there any hope for the future or am I stuck with 100 meter range?

2017-7-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

In Europe CE you are confined to 500 metres, this won't change with firmware update, you need to be using RC to get this distance and you would be better switching to 2.4ghz.
2017-7-29
Use props
fans1e71c6dd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1742 ft
Ireland

Your getting about the max with a phone really.you need to purchase the rc to get any further!
2017-7-29
Use props
StarFishUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-29 09:00
In Europe CE you are confined to 500 metres, this won't change with firmware update, you need to be using RC to get this distance and you would be better switching to 2.4ghz.

Thanks for your response. I am using the RC and as far as I know, there is no way to switch to 2.4 - it just keeps switching back.

Do other DJI drones have the same restrictions? If I bought a Mavic would I have the same problem??
2017-7-29
Use props
Dirk52
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

StarFishUK Posted at 2017-7-29 09:08
Thanks for your response. I am using the RC and as far as I know, there is no way to switch to 2.4 - it just keeps switching back.

Do other DJI drones have the same restrictions? If I bought a Mavic would I have the same problem??

The Mavic uses OccuSync. You will get much more distance with the rc!
2017-7-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ok you need to start up your aircraft, go to signal option, you will have option of 2.4 or 5.8 , click on 2.4ghz then scroll down you will see first graph with numbers and red and green lines underneath that there is a slide with numbers (channels) select a channel preferably a green one with the smallest green line once you have selected channel wifi will will switch off then back on you will then be connected to 2.4 ghz.
I don't know why they have it set up this way it's a bit of a pain but that's what you have to do to get 2.4 ghz.
2017-7-29
Use props
StarFishUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-29 09:18
Ok you need to start up your aircraft, go to signal option, you will have option of 2.4 or 5.8 , click on 2.4ghz then scroll down you will see first graph with numbers and red and green lines underneath that there is a slide with numbers (channels) select a channel preferably a green one with the smallest green line once you have selected channel wifi will will switch off then back on you will then be connected to 2.4 ghz.
I don't know why they have it set up this way it's a bit of a pain but that's what you have to do to get 2.4 ghz.

This is really helpful! Thank you!
2017-7-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Max distance with Mavic CE 4km 2.5 miles, it operates on 2.4ghz.
2017-7-29
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

But if there is a channel without green and red? is better?

Does it mean no interference right?
2017-7-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Lian82 Posted at 2017-7-29 09:23
But if there is a channel without green and red? is better?

Does it mean no interference right?

I think it channel hops any way picking the best signal automatically.
2017-7-29
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hemmed in with the phone Starfish. I'm in the UK, Fly-More combo and no issues at all with distance or altitude. Like most people complaining of this - Take the plunge and get the controller. It also states the ranges for when using the phone and the controller before you buy. I get it that people will not see this but its the controller is the only option for if you want to take her out further and higher my friend.
2017-7-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

CoreyB10 Posted at 2017-7-29 23:45
Hemmed in with the phone Starfish. I'm in the UK, Fly-More combo and no issues at all with distance or altitude. Like most people complaining of this - Take the plunge and get the controller. It also states the ranges for when using the phone and the controller before you buy. I get it that people will not see this but its the controller is the only option for if you want to take her out further and higher my friend.

He is using RC.
2017-7-30
Use props
paulhummerman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 114915 ft
United States

the smallest green line?  these lines measure the strength of the background 'noise' wifi signals,  and one trying to minimize background?
i've been choosing the longest green line!
2017-7-31
Use props
StarFishUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

paulhummerman Posted at 2017-7-31 18:01
the smallest green line?  these lines measure the strength of the background 'noise' wifi signals,  and one trying to minimize background?
i've been choosing the longest green line!

I feel your pain. I've been unsure what to choose, but I noticed that the more remote the location I am in the shorter the green lines - therefore I assume shorter lines indicate less interference. Where I live is quite rural so it's not unusual to see all of them completely flat and green.
2017-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules