Flight over water almost ended with lost drone.
1230 7 2017-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pvitale
lvl.2
Flight distance : 658868 ft
United States

today i went out with my Mavic pro for like its 15th flight. Feeling more confident i went out like 12k feet over water at this point it recomeneded to fly home witch i did and also put into sport mode to fly home quicker. make a long story short power started to diminsh quick. wind was against me so i flew out there at about 35 miles per hour and back and around 25. abot a mile out it started to want to land of which i fought it to get back to the beach about a half mile away at wich time power ran out and I had to crash land. I did end up finding it it someones back yard unharmed as far as i can see. What did i do wrong? why when it said fly home did it not make it? i have he warnings on at 30% and 10%. I am raising them going forward to 40% and 20% to have this never happen again. If it didnt make it to the beach it would have landed int he water and been gone forver. Last hting if that happened  and i have the insurance throgh dji would that have been coverred?

flight log pic

flight log pic
2017-7-29
Use props
fans6916e6f9
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1790384 ft
Canada

It sounds like you flew down wind away and against the wind coming back.  The the Mavic can't predict when you should return to home if your flying back into the wind. No drone can... So you have to judge yourself.  Also sports mode burns up batteries pretty fast.   
2017-7-29
Use props
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I often do a 180 and start flying home for a short distance about a mile out if I am flying downwind. Just to make sure the Mavic can come back home at a reasonable speed.
2017-7-29
Use props
repete26
lvl.2
Flight distance : 658868 ft
United States

fans6916e6f9 Posted at 2017-7-29 18:27
It sounds like you flew down wind away and against the wind coming back.  The the Mavic can't predict when you should return to home if your flying back into the wind. No drone can... So you have to judge yourself.  Also sports mode burns up batteries pretty fast.

Thanks for info
2017-7-30
Use props
jeffmossy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 798409 ft
United Kingdom

lucky you did not lose it
2017-7-30
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I suspect that dancopter's comments are probably correct, but if you'd like anyone to do more than speculate based on your description then upload the flight log (TXT file from your mobile device) to PhantomHelp using these instructions.

it would have landed int he water and been gone forver . . . if that happened and i have the insurance throgh dji would that have been coverred?

No, Care Refresh only applies when you retrieve the aircraft and return it to DJI, so you wouldn't have been able to get a replacement for $79 if that had happened.
2017-7-30
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Turning the low battery warning higher is correct.  But don't set the critical level higher.  You want as much time as possible to land when you get in trouble.  Setting it higher will just make it land where it is with a higher battery level than before.
2017-7-30
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Like Droneflying mentioned,  the DJI Care Refresh does not cover the fly away case. You should retrieve the aircraft and return it to DJI, then you'll be able to replace it under DJI Care Refresh. As for this flight, I would recommend you sync the flight record and export the flight data via DJI assistant 2, then send an email about this to support.us@dji.com, they'll submit a data analysis to find out what happened.
2017-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules