Spark lost - fly away drone
5265 60 2017-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Indi91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103973 ft

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-7-31 23:45
ever since DJi has stepped up this BS with flight zone restrictions and no fly zone enforcements, Mavic Pros and Sparks have been having a wild flurry of poor activity.    it seems to be related to rather poor implementation of the flight zones and restrictions causing it...  it seems to cause a hiccup in the processing chain which basically disrupts everything, right down to basically resetting GPS for a split moment.

the good news is you played your cards right, moment is a hiccup in the chain of events.. get a compass/IMU error, land it manually..regardless how legit or not that error maybe, not worth having the spark get confused and flying the wrong way.  if we could have VPS/Atti mode as a manual trigger on the spark that would also be good.. to stop the automated systems tugging it the wrong way.  

This, i am practicing to drive it back to me manually, so i always watch the battery level and use the indicator to bring it back to me.
2017-8-2
Use props
ciesnik
lvl.2
Flight distance : 238750 ft
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-2 01:01
Good job, did you ask them for a dat report on what happened, it might help others to know what the cause might be.
Although dji usually play this sort of thing close to there chest. Hope your back flying soon.

I did ask for the reason, and the only answer I have got is that it turned out to be a problem with the GPS signal in the copter. This is the reason why it is treated as a warranty case.
2017-8-2
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

eylneb Posted at 2017-7-31 01:18
hmm it is actually reading the location of your phone... mine is also showing in iOS... do you have location services enabled on your phone?

Well, this is still a myth to me. I only know that the remote controller does not have GPS system, so, you might need to have 3G/4G if you change the homepoint midflight.
DJI support told me: "The location is based on the GPS system on your mobile app."
2017-8-2
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-8-2 04:58
Well, this is still a myth to me. I only know that the remote controller does not have GPS system, so, you might need to have 3G/4G if you change the homepoint midflight.
DJI support told me: "The location is based on the GPS system on your mobile app."

yup RC dont have GPS, it will rely on your phone to provide the GPS coordinate if you want to switch home point.

I'm not sure what happens for android phones when you select airplane mode if it disable location service or not, can verify? . as i know iOS doesnt disable location services when airplane mode is toggle . So GPS is still accessible.
2017-8-2
Use props
Monochrome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12710 ft
Poland

eylneb Posted at 2017-8-2 05:35
yup RC dont have GPS, it will rely on your phone to provide the GPS coordinate if you want to switch home point.

I'm not sure what happens for android phones when you select airplane mode if it disable location service or not, can verify? . as i know iOS doesnt disable location services when airplane mode is toggle . So GPS is still accessible.

It maybe depends from a device but on most android devices is the same. Geo location is available in airplane mode. It is on my LG G6.
2017-8-2
Use props
Eric04401
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4531 ft
United States

Where can you see what error messages you got during a flight?  I've copied the controller's log files to the computer bu the .txt files are not in English.  
2017-8-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Eric04401 Posted at 2017-8-2 05:54
Where can you see what error messages you got during a flight?  I've copied the controller's log files to the computer bu the .txt files are not in English.

Replay your flight in your app.
2017-8-2
Use props
Expedia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149613 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I just can sign this „loosing gps in this height should just NOT happen at all” - this has to be fixed. First step nice to see you got your drone replaced. Little bit unfair by dji to all the people in this forum getting the usual 30% discount in the past.
2017-9-28
Use props
fans24f6528f
New

Netherlands

My Spark just did a Fly Away!! Plz tell me what i can do, i only used my new Spark for one day!!
2017-10-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans24f6528f Posted at 2017-10-25 07:13
My Spark just did a Fly Away!! Plz tell me what i can do, i only used my new Spark for one day!!

Can you upload your flight log to link below. Just click on link and follow instructions come back here and post your link.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-10-25
Use props
djiuser_uNu7asp
New
Flight distance : 4236 ft
Australia

I've just had this EXACT thing happen to me I have been painstakingly careful with my spark. I really hope support can help me out
2017-12-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_uNu7asp Posted at 2017-12-3 15:04
I've just had this EXACT thing happen to me  I have been painstakingly careful with my spark. I really hope support can help me out

Can you upload your flight log to link below. Just click on link and follow instructions come back here and post your link.

2017-12-3
Use props
djiuser_uNu7asp
New
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-3 15:08

It's telling me I don't have permission to post url?
2017-12-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_uNu7asp Posted at 2017-12-3 15:35
It's telling me I don't have permission to post url?

You need to have more than 10 points you have 6 so try posting until your over 10 points.
2017-12-3
Use props
echovictoria
New
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-3 15:08

Before my app crashed (Samsung Galaxy S7, latest firmware), (a fact which is scary in itself):
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/BKXY8D5K6VRO62QASSE2/

After my app crashed, flight resumed ok, until it didn't:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Z06GWTE1UBZ5VIYSG8NK/

I'm noticing now a lot of Yaw Error and some Speed Error. Compass was carefully calibrated not long ago when I was prompted to. Flew it several times, after said calibration, around the same spot, with no issues.
2017-12-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

echovictoria Posted at 2017-12-3 16:34
Before my app crashed (Samsung Galaxy S7, latest firmware), (a fact which is scary in itself):
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/BKXY8D5K6VRO62QASSE2/

It looks like your Aircraft picked up some magnetic interference, which causes aircraft to go to Atti mode, although you still had control and you can see this through your stick movements, but if it’s out of line of site it can be very difficult.
Your last known coordinates are  -37.58243486        143.80638786 you still had 36% battery your aircraft will continue travelling at speed of 16mph until it reaches critical battery then it should land, it would have continued for approx 4/5 minutes at 16 mph so you should be able to roughly work where it might have landed. It may be worth going out for another look to see if you can find it.

Regarding why your Aircraft compass got magnetic interference it looks like it could have been the area you where flying in was it industrial?
You will need to contact dji support to start a case they will review your log and and may be able to tell you more, if you can find your Aircraft it will contain a lot more data.
I’ve seen many similar cases receive warranty but also others who were refused , hopefully you will get a positive there.
2017-12-3
Use props
echovictoria
New
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-3 17:05
It looks like your Aircraft picked up some magnetic interference, which causes aircraft to go to Atti mode, although you still had control and you can see this through your stick movements, but if it’s out of line of site it can be very difficult.
Your last known coordinates are  -37.58243486        143.80638786 you still had 36% battery your aircraft will continue travelling at speed of 16mph until it reaches critical battery then it should land, it would have continued for approx 4/5 minutes at 16 mph so you should be able to roughly work where it might have landed. It may be worth going out for another look to see if you can find it.

Thanks for this - I raised a request with support. I really don't know where I went wrong. The area is residential with a few warehouses - the supposed magnetic interference occurred nowhere close to anything majorly industrial. I have flown normal helicopters in the past and am quite conscientious about how they should be flown. I note also that I was using the controller, outside, so it's a bit disconcerting that I lost communication with the device completely at only 308m...
2017-12-3
Use props
echovictoria
New
Australia

echovictoria Posted at 2017-12-3 18:40
Thanks for this - I raised a request with support. I really don't know where I went wrong. The area is residential with a few warehouses - the supposed magnetic interference occurred nowhere close to anything majorly industrial. I have flown normal helicopters in the past and am quite conscientious about how they should be flown. I note also that I was using the controller, outside, so it's a bit disconcerting that I lost communication with the device completely at only 308m...

Update!
Having reviewed the flight record and my final footage, DJI have covered the drone under warranty. Thanks for your help!
2017-12-13
Use props
fans8b7f96bc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 134426 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-3 17:05

As a new spark owner that had a fly away after only a week of ownership... I am really scared on losing my second drone even though I was given a 30% discount which seems to be common now.  At this point my main concern is two fold.  The first being alert to the signals that are a warning of a pending fly away and manually landing it as quickly as possible. And the second is spending the extra money to buy a tracker that has the range and accuracy to find my drone in the event of a fly away.  As a retired photographer and even an UAW instructor for the military overseas, I love the thrill of aerial photography with such ease and want to continue... if I can afford it.
2017-12-14
Use props
fans8b7f96bc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 134426 ft
United States

One thing I did notice is the the lost of gps occurred within a second of your joystick input for max decent. I can't help but wonder if there could be a bug in the code that this could start the cascade of errors resulting in a fly away...
2017-12-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans8b7f96bc Posted at 2017-12-14 02:20
As a new spark owner that had a fly away after only a week of ownership... I am really scared on losing my second drone even though I was given a 30% discount which seems to be common now.  At this point my main concern is two fold.  The first being alert to the signals that are a warning of a pending fly away and manually landing it as quickly as possible. And the second is spending the extra money to buy a tracker that has the range and accuracy to find my drone in the event of a fly away.  As a retired photographer and even an UAW instructor for the military overseas, I love the thrill of aerial photography with such ease and want to continue... if I can afford it.

Although it might not seem like it around here, flyaways are very rare many we see here are pilot error and while this is not easy to take on board that’s the reality.
Preparation and looking after your aircraft and flying in the right environment are really the only way you can try to avoid this happening again.

I would advise you take your time to get used to flying your spark and to get confidence in knowing that it is doing what you command it to, try flying in open safe area 30 metres high 50 metres distance you will find this is the range that you will learn the best skills for flying.
Before you fly off let your Aircraft hover at 6/8 ft checking that everything is ok before you let it loose, always before you fly search out other areas you are flying in that would be safe to land in the event of something happening.
If you get warnings like weak gps always try to fly Aircraft home or land it safely, if you fly VLOS there shouldn’t be any need to buy a tracker although there are some cheap ones out there that may be enough to help if you lose Aircraft . It’s also a good idea to put your phone number on Aircraft.
Flying is always going to be a risk for drones or manned aviation , manned pilots live and die by their preflight and after flight checks and will not fly anywhere without doing them in full and this is why Aircraft accidents are few and far between.
I feel if you don’t rush things that very quickly you will gain confidence in your new Aircraft and will trust it to do what you command it to do.
Good luck with your new spark.
2017-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules