[Sticky] How to recover video file when power off before stopping recording...
211077 211077 2014-9-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
usapablo
New

Spain

Hi all,

Recently I was recording a beautiful video of my sister's wedding cocktail with my new phantom 2 vision+ hoping that the outcome was definetly going to be nice enough.

But to my surprise when I tried to read the file with my computer sd reader the file has no format. So I can't open it with my windows PC neither my mac. It's funny because the file exists and it had 1gb of info but can't do anything with it. Anyone experience anything like this? What can I do? Any expert in recovering this files? I'll be happy to send it to anyone if they can help...

Thx guys!

Pablo
2014-9-17
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

Perhaps you turned off the craft while still recording...
File Restore.png
2014-9-18
Use props
finlayson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 95331 ft
United States

FYI - I have written (open source) software that can repair many of these files:
http://live555.com/drones/DJI-Phantom-2-Vision+-video-fix/
2014-9-18
Use props
tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

If all else fails you can download a few things to repair it. I have done it on multiple occasions, when the Phantom couldn't repair it.

Step 1: use "recover_mp4_to_h264.exe" to create an h264 and avcc reference file from a good/working mp4 file of the same exact format. The reference file has to be the exact same format as the damaged file (720p 60fps, for example). It does not need to be the same length, just the same format. you can get the "recover_mp4_to_h264.exe" file for free online.

Step 2: use "recover_mp4_to_h264.exe" to create a new mp4 file from the damaged one, using the reference file's avcc you just created in step 1.

Step 3: use mp4muxer.exe to create an mp4 from the newly created h264 you created in step 2. voila!~

It's sounds like a hot mess of stuff to do, but it truly is simple. And there are clear directions in the read.me file that comes with the download. Both programs are free. I think you can get them for mac, but I had parallels running on my macbook so I just used the Windows versions. Step 1 and 2 is done at a dos prompt and I was having trouble getting terminal to work on my mac.

If you need help let us know! But it can definitely be done, and done for free! don't pay for it.
I should add that I just checked out the above posters program, and although it looks like he put a ton of time into it, and I am sure it works great, I am confused just by looking at it. So, for a layman like myself, I was able to get my method to work, with little prgramming knowledge. Someone more familiar with compiling and C would probably go with his method.  I am sure they both work just the same!
2014-9-18
Use props
yaozhen
New

China

may be an auto-stop feature can be added into the app when the drone lands...
2014-9-19
Use props
finlayson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 95331 ft
United States

tony@capturevid Posted at 2014-9-19 08:12
I should add that I just checked out the above posters program, and although it looks like he put a ton of time into it, and I am sure it works great, I am confused just by looking at it. So, for a layman like myself, I was able to get my method to work, with little prgramming knowledge. Someone more familiar with compiling and C would probably go with his method.

Just to clarify - For the software that I wrote (referenced above), I also have pre-built application binaries for both Windows and Mac OS X, so if you're on one of those systems, you don't need to compile anything; just download and run a program (in a command window).  My program - "djifix" - is actually a lot easier to use than "recover_mp4_to_h264" (although they probably do similar things).

Once again, for those who may be interested: http://live555.com/drones/DJI-Phantom-2-Vision+-video-fix/

Ross.
2014-9-19
Use props
danielpf
New

Switzerland

Thanks Ross ! Your program worked beautifully on my Linux laptop.
2014-9-19
Use props
usapablo
New

Spain

Thank you every one for the tips...I´ll give it a go tomorrow and will let you know.

2014-9-21
Use props
rizal
New

Indonesia

finlayson Posted at 2014-9-19 04:12
FYI - I have written (open source) software that can repair many of these files:
http://live555.com/ ...

its work ! great application for recovery corrupted video
2014-9-22
Use props
thomaskim558
lvl.3
Flight distance : 865177 ft
Singapore

maybe ur P2V+ got lagged so there is video file but actually, didn;t record it... my case, i just record and open a video using my mac with mplayerx
2014-9-24
Use props
jamesroc
lvl.1
United Kingdom

There is an easy fix for this. You most likely powered down the Phantom before stopping video recording. All you need to do is to put the Micro SD card back in the Phantom camera, then power up the Phantom (remove your propellers before hand in case you inadvertently start them turning. Wait for about 60 seconds then power down. This will have corrected your video file though you may lose several seconds at the end. James
2014-9-27
Use props
cacooley
lvl.2
Flight distance : 146056 ft
United States

I have also had this happen. As others have stated if you just put the SD card back in it will restore the file. I did this a few times and it was because I did not stop the video
2014-9-27
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Just to note: cacooley and jamesroc's method does not always work. I have had instances where it did not repair the corrupted files. Don't worry.. Finlayson's method above will fix it even when the Phantom method does't.
2014-9-28
Use props
nwellborn85
lvl.2

United States

Turning Drone Off Before Stopping Video Recording

I've taken some good videos with my vision plus but every now and then I'll turn the drone off before stopping the recording process on my phone.  When I load it up onto my computer to watch the video, the file is there but it won't play.  The file size seems correct but it's like the file is corrupted because I didn't properly close the recording process.  Anybody know of a way to view it if I accidently do this?  
2014-9-29
Use props
b.w.j
lvl.4

Denmark

Power up P2 make a short video, then stop the video and power Down, then it should Works.
2014-9-29
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

You don't normally need to make a new video, putting the card back in the phantom and leaving it turned on for a minute will do the trick.
It just needs time to finalise the video recording.
2014-9-29
Use props
hd_ultra
lvl.3

United States

I do that often. Getting old has it's disadvantages lol. I did have one file I could not get to finalize. But it was not that important.
I kick myself every time I do it Thou LOL
2014-9-29
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

There a several threads on this forum that deal wth this same issue. Using the Phantom to finalize a corrupter file doesn't always work. There are ways to recover it without using the Phantom. Look in the others breads for a link to a program written by a forum member and also a step by step process to do it anohter way, if needed.
2014-9-29
Use props
weddingstoke
lvl.3
United Kingdom

finlayson Posted at 2014-9-19 04:12
http://live555.com/ ...

thank you for the script worked perfect for me! awsome
2014-10-1
Use props
newfielander
lvl.1

Canada

weddingstoke Posted at 2014-10-1 22:13
thank you for the script worked perfect for me! awsome

Hi Guys you think these options would also work for a MOV file, I have the same issue with my Inspire1, its my very first flight and recording, would love to be able to recover and save my first video recording.Thanks
2015-3-2
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

newfie, try starting and stopping another video, i do that instead of running a script.  when i forget and the file is corrupt, i just turn it back on, record a few seconds, stop it and poof, the prior video now works fine.  just something that might work without some 3rd party process.  
2015-3-2
Use props
newfielander
lvl.1

Canada

Hi gnixon2015,  I have the file removed from the SD card. And have since done other recording, so do you still think your idea would fix it if I put the file back on the SD card?
2015-3-2
Use props
gsp171
lvl.3

United States

I had vdeos that could not be fixed by the DJI instructions,,, but This works great:

"FYI - I have written (open source) software that can repair many of these files:
http://live555.com/drones/DJI-Phantom-2-Vision+-video-fix/"
2015-3-2
Use props
newfielander
lvl.1

Canada

Hi gsp171, my file is a mov file , should it still work?
2015-3-2
Use props
corey
New

United States

My issue seems to be more complicated. Everything was fine, able to review the files via the djipilot app before shutdown. When i put the sd card into my reader, it wanted to initialize/format and wouldn't read. Both Windows and Mac. I put it back in the bird, but immediately get an "invalid sd card" error. This has happened once before during a test flight, I just reformatted the card in my computer and was back up and running. This time however, I need the files on the card. I used EaseUS Recovery and got 9 mov files off it, but none of them playback in VLC, WMP, MPC, MPEG Streamclip, etc. I tried the djifix.exe method and that doesn't work. Each file is about 150-300MB, which seems right for spanning in FAT32. So, how can I get these files to work?
2015-5-2
Use props
Wheelz
New

New Zealand

finlayson Posted at 2014-9-19 22:36
Just to clarify - For the software that I wrote (referenced above), I also have pre-built applicati ...

Thanks Ross,
Fixed mine too.
2015-5-2
Use props
michael.duff
New
Flight distance : 511690 ft
Sierra Leone

DJI Fix just worked for me.... after "landing" my new Phantom 3 Pro in the Atlantic ocean and having to wait 5 hrs for low tide before we could scoop it from the sand. The SD card worked fine and used DJI Fix to recover the last shot... I did need to use VLC to transcode to MPEG1 (h264 and mpeg4 resulted in jerky motion) and then Ecoder CC to convert to ProRes422 . The shot plays perfectly now ..... unfortunately the drone itself did not come back to life after its swim

2015-7-25
Use props
Vliegende Braba
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36591 ft
Netherlands

Wheelz Posted at 2015-5-3 11:44
Thanks Ross,
Fixed mine too.

Thanks Ross, fixed mine too.

2015-8-15
Use props
Boogaloo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16145 ft
United Kingdom

Hi folks. This is a great program but I couldn't get it to work with an OSMO 4k file for some reason - tried all the formats but none seemed to be quite right. Any suggestions?
2016-3-25
Use props
theFlyingHawaii
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2220906 ft
United States

my problem is similar but different enough for me to ask... I have the GO App low res version of a flight, but on the SD card there is no file...it is missing.  I recorded multiple flights afterward, but the progression skips the numbered file in question.  DJI_0093 then DJI_0095....it is DJI_0094 that I would like, but it is not listed at all.  The Low Res file is so full of artifacts and static that it is unusable.  File recovery software does not show the file existing either.  I have put the SD card back in multiple times, but it does not recover the missing file.  
* I believe I did not shut down the recording before the aircraft.
* I think that if I had known it was a bad recording BEFORE the next flight, I might have been able...

Naturally, it was a classic shot that I am now 4000 miles away from.
any help would be awesome!
2016-5-11
Use props
hms666
lvl.2
Finland

theFlyingHawaii Posted at 2016-5-11 22:25
my problem is similar but different enough for me to ask... I have the GO App low res version of a f ...

Make a backup image of that sd-card and then try testdisk or photorec on that backup.
2016-5-11
Use props
theFlyingHawaii
lvl.1
United States

hms666 Posted at 2016-5-11 09:54
Make a backup image of that sd-card and then try testdisk or photorec on that backup.

thanks!  I'll try that and report back
2016-5-11
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

theFlyingHawaii Posted at 2016-5-12 05:25
my problem is similar but different enough for me to ask... I have the GO App low res version of a f ...

You will not be able to recover DJI_0094. It is almost certain you shut the aircraft down before stopping recording. If that happens, you can switch the aircraft back on for 30 zseconds or so and the system will finalise the file and all will be good.

But if you then go out again and start recording without fixing the previous file, it will be lost, and no file recovery software can recover it. Sorry.
2016-5-11
Use props
theFlyingHawaii
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-5-11 13:21
You will not be able to recover DJI_0094. It is almost certain you shut the aircraft down before s ...

that's what I suspected...I recorded additional files before recovering.  However, for instance, on my next flight, I did boot up the aircraft and it proceeded through its warm up phase, over 30 seconds.  I wonder why it wouldn't finish recording at that next boot up?
2016-5-11
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

theFlyingHawaii Posted at 2016-5-12 15:59
that's what I suspected...I recorded additional files before recovering.  However, for instance, o ...

Not sure, unless you had two files on there, as I suspect it does not handle two.
2016-5-12
Use props
edwards142paul
New

India

The situation in which you have losted your recorded video is quiet common but still there is a solution and that solution is……MP4 Repair Tool that easilyrecovers all your corrupted/damaged/broken mp4 files effectively without any data loss. The software supports repair of MP4 files generated on various devices such as digital cameras and camcorders of various brands such as Samsung, Sanyo, Nikon, Panasonic, Fujifilm etc.
2016-7-21
Use props
TheRann4u
lvl.4

United States

gsp171@mchsi.co Posted at 2015-3-2 23:33
I had vdeos that could not be fixed by the DJI instructions,,, but This works great:

"FYI - I have  ...

Thanks for sharing!!
2016-7-21
Use props
Tortoiseshell T
First Officer
Flight distance : 13 ft
  • >>>
United States

Some very important videos on my osmo became corrupted, and I have had limited success fixing them. I put them back on the Osmo, but that wouldn't work. Finlayson's method recovered the video successfully - but wouldn't resurrect the audio. I then tried the demo of Grau video repair and that worked well, but it's too expensive. Since Grau worked I know the audio is there, so what should I do next?
2016-7-29
Use props
kontact
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8679751 ft
United States

finlayson Posted at 2014-9-19 07:36
Just to clarify - For the software that I wrote (referenced above), I also have pre-built applicati ...

Hello Ross
Just on the outside chase do you have answer for a dead gimbal from a firmware update? I have a DJI phantom 2 vision plus. Gimbal was working fine did an update and now no movement. The camera still works and I get a green light on the gimbal just no movement.
Thank you.
2016-8-5
Use props
stevensmith2561
New

India

You can use Repair QuickTime utility to repair damaged MP4 files Mac within few mouse clicks. For more details, you can visit this link: http://www.repairquicktime.com/damaged-mp4-files-mac.html
2016-10-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules