Need an education on terminology please?
12Next >
6289 51 2017-7-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

I tried to get an answer on another thread with these questions, however, the issue was so intense my request recieved no attention, so I'm starting a new thread...
I need an education on terminology please?
I think I know what download, upload, install, downgrade, rollback, etc. means.
However, I don't think I know what "Flash" means with respect to loading firmware etc.  Also, I'm not sure what "refresh" means or more importantly what it does with respect to working with your aircraft when dealing with updates and what not.
Can you all educate me, please?  Part of this is I have not yet received my Phantom and therefore I don't have any actual hands on experience, so I appreciate your help and tolerance.

Also, can someone explain exactly what DUMLdore is...my understanding is, it is a program I guess, but who owns/wrote it i.e. is it a DJI item or from somewhere else and exactly what is its purpose for working with DJI aircraft?
Thank you
2017-7-31
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Your Phantom should arrive in a working state, normally you update it following the normal update instructions before flying, but if it is a P4 standard it may be best to leave any updates until the issues created by the current update have been sorted, there are no critical or flight safety reasons to update a P4 standard.

If you follow that advice then your questions do not need answering!  Also, if you don't know what those terms mean then trying to do them is a bit risky and best avoided if your aircraft is flying OK.

If you do find your aircraft has flight problems then a firmware update is unlikely to solve them so ask for advice first.
2017-7-31
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-7-31 03:09
Your Phantom should arrive in a working state, normally you update it following the normal update instructions before flying, but if it is a P4 standard it may be best to leave any updates until the issues created by the current update have been sorted, there are no critical or flight safety reasons to update a P4 standard.

If you follow that advice then your questions do not need answering!  Also, if you don't know what those terms mean then trying to do them is a bit risky and best avoided if your aircraft is flying OK.

Sir,
Thank you for that sage advice.  I understand your points, and agree with your assertions; I do not have a strong knowledge base or experience in those areas.

One point to clarify, and I'm not sure how it might change any response.  My aircraft is the Phantom 4 Pro, more correctly it is on the way and I should have it in hand within the next two weeks.
2017-7-31
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-7-31 21:06
Sir,
Thank you for that sage advice.  I understand your points, and agree with your assertions; I do not have a strong knowledge base or experience in those areas.

I'm not an expert on the P4 Pro, but it has been around long enough that any serious problems were sorted out ages ago so when it arrives it should be fine to fly straight out of the box.  If it asks you to do a firmware update then as far as I know it is OK to do it, but it is also not necessary so you might want to do a few test flights and make sure it flies OK first.

If you are not experienced in flying drones then you should be concentrating on learning how to fly safely, what the laws are in your state, how to deal with encounters with other aircraft, what can go wrong in high winds/poor GPS reception etc. and how to deal with them, a lot of things that are far more important than firmware updates.

Going back to your original question, the only term in your list that is not fairly obvious is "flash".  That is the process of erasing the firmware installed in the aircraft and replacing it with a different version, I think it's called "flashing" because at one time the memory was erased using a strong ultraviolet lamp, more recently firmware has been stored in a type of memory called "flash memory", probably named because it is faster to update than the previous UV erasable memory, so the term still makes sense.
2017-8-1
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-7-31 21:06
Sir,

Aloha Genghis,

Nigel is giving you good advice.  You will have to activate your P4 Pro once it arrives.  Pay good attention to the instructions for activation and make sure you have a rock-solid Internet connection during that process.  Write things down or type them into your computer so you can remember them.  Watch out for operating fans and even your computer making interference while activating and flying.  Learn about interference.

Until your P4P arrives work with your device, iOS or Android, to make sure you know how to disable any apps that have no use in flying.  Most problems you hear about on this Forum are due to fliers not knowing how to use their devices to fly their birds.  Then they blame DJI for their problems.  

We are here to help, so please feel free to ask questions but most of the time we need to know what you have in order to answer your question.  We will have to know what app version you are using and what firmware are installed on your Phantom and Remote Controller.

Please be aware that you are flying a network of three computers.  They all need to communicate properly with each other.  Maybe you can do some basic research on the Internet about networks, WiFi and the Internet itself.  You will have to start thinking digitally if you do not have much computer experience.  But, above all, flying your bird will keep you motivated to learn about a whole new world.  You will have the time of your life!

DUMBLdore is a flashing software available from the Internet.  In particular it allows you to roll-back your firmware where DJI has not provided that option.  But as Nigel has recommended, you should not be concerned with firmware upgrades and updates until you have learned how to fly for a month or so.

Since you still have time, now is the time to read the manual a couple times.  Look at the videos DJI has on the P4 Pro web pages.  There are also videos on YouTube that can be helpful, but there are also some less than smart people on there making very questionable suggestions.  This Forum has some really knowledgeable people on it that can really help you, like Nigel.  Learn to use the search function so you can look up any concerns you might develop.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-1
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-8-1 00:43
I'm not an expert on the P4 Pro, but it has been around long enough that any serious problems were sorted out ages ago so when it arrives it should be fine to fly straight out of the box.  If it asks you to do a firmware update then as far as I know it is OK to do it, but it is also not necessary so you might want to do a few test flights and make sure it flies OK first.

If you are not experienced in flying drones then you should be concentrating on learning how to fly safely, what the laws are in your state, how to deal with encounters with other aircraft, what can go wrong in high winds/poor GPS reception etc. and how to deal with them, a lot of things that are far more important than firmware updates.

Now that you described that 'Flash' process I vaguely remember that process from the early days of computers, way back process.  I think I understand the refresh thing, and none of which I prefer to have to get wrapped up in.  I'm hoping that 1) the aircraft is all good to go and 2) that the current problems with the recent updates is resolved in a way we can all understand and work.
Also, I learned something, I never knew there was a process using a focused UV light in working computers, I see that as having been a royal pain having to work that process in that manner.  Thankfully it is a little simpler now.
I appreciate your time...keep'em flyin!
2017-8-1
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-8-1 01:42
Aloha Genghis,

Nigel is giving you good advice.  You will have to activate your P4 Pro once it arrives.  Pay good attention to the instructions for activation and make sure you have a rock-solid Internet connection during that process.  Write things down or type them into your computer so you can remember them.  Watch out for operating fans and even your computer making interference while activating and flying.  Learn about interference.

Aloha Cetacean,
Yes, I'm looking forward to my flying opportunities.  I've had some limited experience with a relatives P3P, that's what got me hooked.  Also, I'm a fixed wing pilot and very familiar with airspace and other flying regulations etc.
Good point about the network element to this operation, I had not thought of it that way, and I see how that can be a key factor in error free operation.  I have some indirect USAF experience with UAVs and I can understand your point clearly, but we can easily overlook that aspect in small aircraft like this.  Three computers?  Aircraft, Controller, and Network server or your home computer?  
You peaked my interest about interference, are you referring to EMP type, such as high power lines, cell towers, and radio telecommunications or something other than that?  I will be reviewing that subject more.
Yes I've already started reading all the manuals etc. to be familiar when I get started, call it ground school.
Thank you for your time and great advice!
Aloha & Drone Away!
2017-8-1
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-1 02:09
Aloha Cetacean,
Yes, I'm looking forward to my flying opportunities.  I've had some limited experience with a relatives P3P, that's what got me hooked.  Also, I'm a fixed wing pilot and very familiar with airspace and other flying regulations etc.
Good point about the network element to this operation, I had not thought of it that way, and I see how that can be a key factor in error free operation.  I have some indirect USAF experience with UAVs and I can understand your point clearly, but we can easily overlook that aspect in small aircraft like this.  Three computers?  Aircraft, Controller, and Network server or your home computer?  

Aloha Genghis,

The third computer is your device.  Not often thought of that way but it can often be the most important.  You have to be able to disable any function that is not involved in flying.  You need to maximize the processor power and RAM for flying.  DJI uses cutting edge technology that is very demanding.  DJI GO 4 had to be created because DJI GO was being overwhelmed.

Have fun!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-1
Use props
Saraluck9090
lvl.1

Pakistan

The word terminology is the set of special words it also used in connection with people. Terminology is the main block for translators. It is the word, phrases and technical terms used to create sentences. A word terminology looks like a dictionary to most people.  Firstly, it ensures that you are technically accurate in terminology so,  it helps you in establishing your brand. You can set up how you say things use words for products. You need to search high domain sites for this purpose you can also go on back to school coupon codes for your help and also all educational accessories easily available there.
2018-7-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Saraluck9090 Posted at 2018-7-6 21:14
The word terminology is the set of special words it also used in connection with people. Terminology is the main block for translators. It is the word, phrases and technical terms used to create sentences. A word terminology looks like a dictionary to most people.  Firstly, it ensures that you are technically accurate in terminology so,  it helps you in establishing your brand. You can set up how you say things use words for products. You need to search high domain sites for this purpose you can also go on back to school coupon codes for your help and also all educational accessories easily available there.

See here:
https://www.droneflyers.com/definitions/

The list... :-)

Another set:
http://www.topdronesforsale.org/drone-terminology/

RedHotPoker

2018-7-6
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-6 21:20
See here:
https://www.droneflyers.com/definitions/

Would be better pointing in this direction!
I can't get why the Admins don't act on those before asking irrelevant questions in all new threads.
2018-7-7
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I've never seen evidence that the report function works at all.  
2018-7-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

KedDK Posted at 2018-7-7 05:38
Would be better pointing in this direction!
I can't get why the Admins don't act on those before asking irrelevant questions in all new threads.

Because a sale or repair bill may be imminent... ;-)

You don’t get paid, handing out freebies...

RedHotPoker
2018-7-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-7-7 05:43

But it helps ease the senders discomfort...

Here are the DJI terms... ;-)
https://www.dji.com/terms

RedHotPoker

2018-7-7
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-7-7 05:43

I don't believe it does anything at all but waste our time.
Once got the following reply from a Admin in here, sounding like the one was about drowning in the reports, but why they don't act then is a mystery for me ...

Profilepic edited to protect the person in charge but it had the DJI logo.
2018-7-7
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-7 07:16
Because a sale or repair bill may be imminent... ;-)

You don’t get paid, handing out freebies...

Yeah often wonder when they say to send something in for the most simple things that can be fixed by reading the manuals.
It must be an unbelievable amount of equipment that flows back and forth, we only see the top of the iceberg (i am) being  in the Phantom forum only, and  for sure a lot of those never see those forums at all.

EoD from me, now it became OT.

BoT: EEProm = "Electrically Erasable Programmable read only memory" aka nonvolatile memory.
2018-7-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

KedDK Posted at 2018-7-7 07:48
Yeah often wonder when they say to send something in for the most simple things that can be fixed by reading the manuals.
It must be an unbelievable amount of equipment that flows back and forth, we only see the top of the iceberg (i am) being  in the Phantom forum only, and  for sure a lot of those never see those forums at all.

This is a business after all. Not a drone playground.

If you want to have fun, just join helifreak.com hahaha

Mind you, unlike here,  the mods there, are regular dinks... haha

RedHotPoker
2018-7-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

KedDK Posted at 2018-7-7 07:37
I don't believe it does anything at all but waste our time.
Once got the following reply from a Admin in here, sounding like the one was about drowning in the reports, but why they don't act then is a mystery for me ...

It’s an adult pacifier. A de-escalator.

Lowered my blood pressure too. Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2018-7-7
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Ha bloody Ha ....

Sorry .. should be more serious.

The title of the thread : Need an education on terminology please....

Well Ghengis me ol'fruit .................. as you have no doubt come to realise after the year this thread has run ... your reading of this and other forums .........

Terminology is a joke so often that it can lead to some strange and stupid posts. YOU need education in Terminology ? No my friend ... its the so-called experts who infest the forums with their myths and crap that has been accepted and become 'ipso facto' instead of being kicked into the gutter where it belongs.

Yes ... I am expecting a flood of abuse now ... most likely from the ex-spurts who need 'trimming back' ................
There are also those who think this is a stage to post comedy .... instead of posting serious info.

Laugh a minute !!

Nigel
2018-7-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I went to Radio Shack for some batteries.

I asked the salesman to give me a minute of his time.

When I requested batteries, he said,  

“Batteries, you want batteries?  I’ve only worked here for a year, let me get you the store manager.”

Yes, please call regional office too, thanks. Hahaha

Remind you of anything?

You need assistance here, better send it in, so the top technicians can perform surgical analyses on the situation. Grinning like a rake

RedHotPoker
2018-7-7
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-7 08:33
I went to Radio Shack for some batteries.

I asked the salesman to give me a minute of his time.

RHP, you kill me, why do you refer to your self in the third person all the time...
2018-7-7
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Saraluck9090 Posted at 2018-7-6 21:14
The word terminology is the set of special words it also used in connection with people. Terminology is the main block for translators. It is the word, phrases and technical terms used to create sentences. A word terminology looks like a dictionary to most people.  Firstly, it ensures that you are technically accurate in terminology so,  it helps you in establishing your brand. You can set up how you say things use words for products. You need to search high domain sites for this purpose you can also go on back to school coupon codes for your help and also all educational accessories easily available there.

Interesting point of view...while long on view, it's short on the point...
2018-7-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-7-7 08:58
RHP, you kill me, why do you refer to your self in the third person all the time...

Me, myself and I!! Haha

Did you get your DJI terminology degree ?

After all those studious hours... grin

“We” see your willingness to learn. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-7-7
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Some people need more motivation to the reins in this forum

I have seen many posts with non-immediate answers many times, even not answered for days and weeks

dont blame yourself .. not your fault
2018-7-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Ignore rant?

RedHotPoker
2018-7-7
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-7-7 08:27
Ha bloody Ha ....

Sorry .. should be more serious.

I completely understand your points, especially now.
Having spent some time here and other places, I clearly have knowledge now that I lacked before, the ole hindsight is 20/20.

Each Genre or unique area of focus will always have its own lexicon of words & terms.  Drone ops are no different, and they have come in to their own in that respect.  It has formed in to a mashup of computer, flight ops, hobby flying, and DJI explanations & definitions.  Not sure building a lexicon of these things would help, but it might.  I believe DJI, as the industry leader, lacked some foresight in this area.  While they have built some great products they seem to have failed to realize or anticipate the leading edge they created and thus the opportunity to define it on their terms, now we have a form of the wild west as everyone with an opinion/knowledge comes in and tries to put their own spin to it.  Some of it can never be helped but a lot of it could.

We shall endeavor to persevere...
2018-7-7
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-7 09:19
Me, myself and I!! Haha

Always willing to learn, especially when it is something interesting and worthwhile...
2018-7-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-7-7 10:38
Always willing to learn, especially when it is something interesting and worthwhile...

The nice thing about the drone tech. It’s much easier to learn when we enjoy the lessons....

So heck, we should all be experts here. Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2018-7-7
Use props
Haranen
New

Germany

thanks a lot for raising this issue. I'm also a newbie and education help is needed, especially when it comes about specific cases rather than academic questions. if you need some assistance with writing works, you always can ask for help sites like this
2018-7-18
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-7 10:50
The nice thing about the drone tech. It’s much easier to learn when we enjoy the lessons....

So heck, we should all be experts here. Hahaha

Like the new avatar...is that you
2018-7-18
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Haranen Posted at 2018-7-18 06:54
thanks a lot for raising this issue. I'm also a newbie and education help is needed, especially when it comes about specific cases rather than academic questions. if you need some assistance with writing works, you always can ask for help sites like this

Thank you for your input!
Learning is good, and is the road to freedom!
2018-7-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-7-18 07:08
Like the new avatar...is that you

That is not me... my beard is greyer, and much shorter. Hahaha

PM me your email and I’ll happily send you a lovely portrait.
Autographed copies are ¥§£5.00 hahaha

RedHotPoker
2018-7-18
Use props
Paulnerdy01#
New

India

Allessaywriter.com has been the best help to students in furnishing quality of the best samples college application essay. We have an eminent team of quality writers with years of experience in delivering unmatched college entrance essay all the time. Our experts provide plagiarism free work in the scheduled time frame, that too at an affordable price.
2018-9-25
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

While I greatly welcome all inputs on this topic, I don't appreciate anyone selling something not DJI or drone related.  PLEASE stay on topic and take the SPAM somewhere else...

I will report all SPAM, and I'm sure others will as well.

Thank you,
Genghis
2018-9-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-9-25 18:12
While I greatly welcome all inputs on this topic, I don't appreciate anyone selling something not DJI or drone related.  PLEASE stay on topic and take the SPAM somewhere else...

I will report all SPAM, and I'm sure others will as well.

Did you ever get an answer to what 'flash' means? I skimmed through this thread but did not see anyone actually answer the original question.
2018-9-25
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-9-25 18:31
Did you ever get an answer to what 'flash' means? I skimmed through this thread but did not see anyone actually answer the original question.

Yes I did, thank you for asking
While I can't give you the technical answer off the top of my head it basically comes down to updating or programing the OS/BIOS (maybe dated terms).  The problem these days is so many terms have different and/or multiple meanings even for the same subject area.  Gets a bit confusing trying to sort it all out.

How have you been doing lately, good I hope?
2018-9-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-9-25 19:06
Yes I did, thank you for asking
While I can't give you the technical answer off the top of my head it basically comes down to updating or programing the OS/BIOS (maybe dated terms).  The problem these days is so many terms have different and/or multiple meanings even for the same subject area.  Gets a bit confusing trying to sort it all out.

Yes, essentially that is correct. Been OK thank you. Getting ready to sell our property, so I have been shooting a lot of aerial footage of it for the property listing.
2018-9-25
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-9-25 19:51
Yes, essentially that is correct. Been OK thank you. Getting ready to sell our property, so I have been shooting a lot of aerial footage of it for the property listing.

Good to hear...hope the sale is OK with you, you do have a nice place there.
Take care!
2018-9-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-7-7 08:58

Me myself and I, are not third or even second person. Only thee original.

0E173735-FC24-4B23-A646-F4E4EA69CDB0.jpeg

RedHotPoker
2018-9-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2018-9-25 18:31

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/f/flash.htm

RedHotPoker
2018-9-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules