Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ever crash your Spark?
12Next >
12678 61 2017-7-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drewson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 111066 ft
United States

Any lasting effects?  I accidentally flew mine into the side of my garden shed.  It seemed to instantly shut off, I assume because it rapidly rotated past some threshold, and dropped a couple feet onto some grass.  I had let go of the forward thumb stick, but it didn't stop as quickly as I thought it would.  Seems fine, flown several times since then.  
One unfortuante side effect was that the video I was shooting when the crash occurred didn't seem to save correctly, and showed up on the memory stick as a 2 second clip of the last couple seconds of that flight.  Has anyone had video fail to save due to a shut-off?

2017-7-31
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

Hi,sorry for the accident.can I ask when it fall onto the grass,was the battery stil on or off as well (the 4 LED at the back of battery).Thank you
2017-7-31
Use props
Drewson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 111066 ft
United States

Hmm, I don't recall perfectly, but I am pretty sure the fan was off (my internal fan is always on when the Spark is powered on).  I do remember the battery was still securely fastened to the drone.  
2017-7-31
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

i've crashed 3 times due to pilot error...  1 time battery popped out,
1 time power was off but battery still in coz it tilted about 90 degrees,
1 time power still on, still flying but i've landed it to check
2017-7-31
Use props
Indi91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103973 ft

eylneb Posted at 2017-7-31 21:57
i've crashed 3 times due to pilot error...  1 time battery popped out,
1 time power was off but battery still in coz it tilted about 90 degrees,
1 time power still on, still flying but i've landed it to check

tough little one
2017-8-1
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

yup really tough... the props didn't break too haha
2017-8-1
Use props
Frangu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19849 ft
United States

crashed mine when it was RTH into a tree
2017-8-1
Use props
fans99d24711
lvl.2
United States

Crashed mine after RTH into tree after RC disconnect at about 12m height and 10m away from me. Hit a tree fell to the grass. All motors turned off but battery still intact and video all the way until I picked it up and turned off the battery. Surprising enough I didn't think it would have saved the video correctly since I just powered off without stopping the recording.
2017-8-1
Use props
Gijzel
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48445 ft
Netherlands

two 2 times.

1 close to a metal building drone was not not stopping at all.
2 trying the gesture control, it did not respons al all for 50seconds and then flew backwards to the exact same place i hit the metal building earlier.  

not flying there anymore.
2017-8-1
Use props
Zirconn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242920 ft
Romania

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-7-31 20:54
Hi,sorry for the accident.can I ask when it fall onto the grass,was the battery stil on or off as well (the 4 LED at the back of battery).Thank you

What usually happens is the propellers gets blocked so the drone cuts off all engines. It won't power down and you can take of without even power cycling. It happened to me on the third day of owning it, when I switched controls sticks on the remote and instead of moving down, it moved back to me. Managed to catch it with left hand but I got a nasty cut on one finger and a few minor cuts on my chest. And that was with guards on
2017-8-1
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I haven't had a serious crash with my spark yet, but I did have one "inverse proper landing"...  meaning that it flipped and landed upside down (no damage).  That was a "human malfunction", not a drone issue.
2017-8-1
Use props
Flying Wolf_NOL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345827 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine barely 'bumped' into a wall while checking out sport mode (should have braked just a bit sooner). It fell 4 or 5 feet. There were wires and stuff in the way of the fall so it kind of 'eased' to the ground. No damage and it's flying just fine. I did have the prop guards on - so that helped I'm sure.  Rebooted and started it again - no problem.  It's a tough little drone. Not that I plan on doing that again.  Just saying.
2017-8-1
Use props
42green
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3323 ft
United States

Two small crashes and two adverted.
1. Averted - tried tap fly in the backyard, thought it was only going to a point but it was on continue on current course, into a tree. Didn't go down stopped it as it clipped a few leaves.
2. Crash - Flying sideways into tree, obstacle avoidance stopped me, but instead of going to check I just tried flying up and hit a small branch
3. Crash - Flying backwards into bush, not paying attention to surrounding. Only three feet up and it stayed in the bush.
4. Averted - Active track in a parking lot. Started to try the circle, when my subject walked closer to the building. Was able to stop and regain control before impact.
2017-8-1
Use props
Advan031
lvl.2
Flight distance : 161663 ft
United States

I haven't crashed yet. 130,944ft distance - 63 flights
2017-8-1
Use props
Wx_Striker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24728 ft
United States

Well, I had gotten a little cocky, and tried a palm launch off a 4th-floor balcony of my apartment complex.  Drone launches, and then kinda moves left and goes around the corner..... Not looking at the screen, I didn't realize the heading, panicked and flew it into a window.... fell four stories into cement parking lot.  When I went down to get it, it was powered on, but upside down.  2 missing props   Took inside, rebooted and the left rear motor was seized up (Think a chunk of propeller fell into it), but Gimble, camera, everything else was fine.  

Sent to DJI for "Refresh" had back in about 2 weeks - New AC (Different serial Number) and am back to practicing in open fields ;)

So far this thing is a lot of fun - Just need more stick time
2017-8-1
Use props
SteelTallon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 204094 ft
  • >>>
United States

Crashed mine indoors (low light).  I was in gesture mode giving the picture frame, and it thought I waved, and took off and up into the corner of a wall (I didn't have prop guards on either).  Broke a prop, and tweaked the case.  Was able to fix it all and get back to flying.
2017-8-1
Use props
TMUSVI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 228891 ft
U.S. Virgin Islands

dog jumped up crashed my sparkeee was fine no damage
2017-8-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans99d24711 Posted at 2017-8-1 10:46
Crashed mine after RTH into tree after RC disconnect at about 12m height and 10m away from me. Hit a tree fell to the grass. All motors turned off but battery still intact and video all the way until I picked it up and turned off the battery. Surprising enough I didn't think it would have saved the video correctly since I just powered off without stopping the recording.

Always keep in mind pause button he can become your best friend, he's the one that stops the panic and gives you time to think your next move.
2017-8-1
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-1 15:58
Always keep in mind pause button he can become your best friend, he's the one that stops the panic and gives you time to think your next move.

unless the pause button is also ignored.. then RIP....

another reason we need VPS/Atti toggle manually..  
2017-8-1
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Vietnam

Zirconn Posted at 2017-8-1 11:14
What usually happens is the propellers gets blocked so the drone cuts off all engines. It won't power down and you can take of without even power cycling. It happened to me on the third day of owning it, when I switched controls sticks on the remote and instead of moving down, it moved back to me. Managed to catch it with left hand but I got a nasty cut on one finger and a few minor cuts on my chest. And that was with guards on

Thank you for your reply, so may I conclude that the battery does not power off upon impact?
2017-8-1
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not yet(knock on wood)
2017-8-1
Use props
Ken-Rick
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18898 ft
Netherlands

I had mine crashed, 5th day Lucky i had bought Dji refresh
I sent it for repair and now waiting for the return to home  
2017-8-2
Use props
Zirconn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242920 ft
Romania

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-8-1 17:10
Thank you for your reply, so may I conclude that the battery does not power off upon impact?

From my experience (no hard crashes with damage & such), nope, the drone is still powered up and streaming to the phone.
2017-8-2
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Vietnam

Zirconn Posted at 2017-8-2 05:13
From my experience (no hard crashes with damage & such), nope, the drone is still powered up and streaming to the phone.

Thanks, so, seems like in the "falling case" where the battery was shut-off, I think maybe the battery is mal-functioned and did that to itself.
2017-8-2
Use props
fans99d24711
lvl.2
United States

Except that it went RTH because of RC disconnect. So no luck.
2017-8-4
Use props
fans99d24711
lvl.2
United States

Except that it went RTH because of RC disconnect. So no luck.
2017-8-4
Use props
Adomolis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 219219 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Ken-Rick Posted at 2017-8-2 03:38
I had mine crashed, 5th day  Lucky i had bought Dji refresh
I sent it for repair and now waiting for the return to home  
https://youtu.be/EbyRqy-XJZ8?t=1m14s

Flying so close to branches on a windy day above water? Ohhh man its like you WANTED the accident to happen
2017-8-4
Use props
Ken-Rick
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18898 ft
Netherlands

Adomolis Posted at 2017-8-4 06:58
Flying so close to branches on a windy day above water? Ohhh man its like you WANTED the accident to happen

I know, my bad.I'm traumatized now, afraid to fly over water .
UPDATE : have my Spark back, within 10 days! Good service! From DJI! Have a brand new Spark with battery

2017-8-9
Use props
FlyinMajic2day
lvl.3
Flight distance : 361552 ft
United States

Old post but wanted to share...Crashed mine yesterday....stupid error totally my fault....Concrete wall at high speed 30mph. Hopefully my first and last crash. Was not paying enough attention to my altitude properly when bringing home in sports mode(ugh). Seems I did the complete opposite of what I read and learned. (ugh) Was in line of sight but the perception of the wall was incorrect. Totally bummed but shipped out today for some TLC from DJI. Love my Spark and already missing it...I did purchase Care Refresh so hopefully that will help out. My top goal was to never crash....just hoping this one time will be it as I know better.
2018-2-8
Use props
SkyySpyy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 338222 ft
Canada

Geez I've crashed atleast 4 times since November.hit the roof of my living room. Fell and battery popped out. First flight. Then hit a branch. Hit a branch again and again and one more in sport mode..Then one more after I tried to fly under a bridge and caught wind currents lol. Broken props and the led cover almost popped off o e corner. Still drives like new.
2018-2-8
Use props
Vukir
lvl.1
Flight distance : 486460 ft
United States

I've crashed too many times to count, honestly. I'm on my third airframe. Most crashes don't result in damage to the drone.

First Major Crash: Full speed in sport into the side of the second floor of a house (glancing, about 45* angle). Seized the motors. Sent in for repairs and they sent me a replacement unit. In that case, the video stopped about 3 seconds before impact. I assume the battery popping out mixed with a delay in the encode and write to the SD left me without the actual impact.

Second Major Crash: Was having an issue with video lagging out (still am, but not the topic). Was bringing it up a hill and video signal bugged out. Smacked the ground with the spark and shattered the glass on the camera and scratched the actual camera glass. Used refresh for that. (and while this may seem like a plug, having the refresh has proved worth the value, that replacement was new props, new spark, and new battery shipped back to me the moment they got mine).

Otherwise I've had it on auto-follow and back into a tree, falling into the grass. Flown low and fast and clipped a shrub sending it tumbling across the field (video survived on that). Many other cases where it was an uncontrolled landing and I don't recall.

Biggest and most annoying issue was a fault with the battery. I'd take off and fly away then lose sight of the drone and video feed. Would find the drone in the dirt and the battery a few feet away. Happened repeatedly (at first I didn't think I secured the battery properly) but eventually looked to see that one of the tabs that retract to release was missing (likely from another crash). Had it refreshed with the last replacement.

The air craft is by no means unbreakable, but the amount of abuse it can take (especially when I compare to my 250mm racing drone) is remarkable. To this date only broken 1 prop on the spark. Have a bag full of 5x4x3 props for my racer that I break frequently. Now if I can just get DJI to fix my camera issue.
2018-2-8
Use props
spookster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

Just one incident so far, I was below a tree for landing in front of me but came in a tad to high in, touched a hanging moss with one of the rear motors.
spark tipped over diagonally, fell half a meter but then caught itself and was fine.
landed, only had some verdigris on the prop.
2018-2-8
Use props
FlyinMajic2day
lvl.3
United States

Vukir Posted at 2018-2-8 10:20
I've crashed too many times to count, honestly. I'm on my third airframe. Most crashes don't result in damage to the drone.

First Major Crash: Full speed in sport into the side of the second floor of a house (glancing, about 45* angle). Seized the motors. Sent in for repairs and they sent me a replacement unit. In that case, the video stopped about 3 seconds before impact. I assume the battery popping out mixed with a delay in the encode and write to the SD left me without the actual impact.

Your First major crash was my first major crash....drone did not look well after that for me. But that is exactly what happened to me flying in at 45* angle...hit so hard it bounced and landed on another roof to the house next store, almost 20' from impact...
2018-2-14
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

Proud to announce Ive actually never crashed it and I have a total distance of 32km or 20 miles. Made 3 or 4 very close calls but im proud of my 15 year-old self
2018-2-14
Use props
lvl.2
United States

The advantage of folding props is that if you crash the props can "absorb" the impact better than non folding, I think...
2018-2-14
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

I never crash drones. Just land them into/onto random stuff at inappropriate speeds.
2018-2-14
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

My worst accident was when storing it in the fly more bag. The zipper cracked a prop.
2018-2-14
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Put the SD card back in the Spark and turn it on. This should finalize the file.
2018-2-15
Use props
FlyinMajic2day
lvl.3
United States

Well, received my Spark today(Care Refresh #1) ...Waited almost 3 weeks....And I have an LED that is intermittent....sometimes works, sometimes doesn't and even goes dim. I will not be flying and will ship back tomorrow...pretty bummed but patient, especially after getting everything set up including new registration with FAA before my first flight. For the most part, DJI Care Refresh has been great. Hopefully I can start flying again soon...
2018-2-26
Use props
fansc4158171
New

Canada

Crashed my spark into a cement wall while flying it in for landing,I was inside and on attitude mode. Broke two blade sets and had a gimbal motor overload but no damage. All systems are fine and normal.
15264997784545925335408518768567.jpg
2018-5-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules