Uncontrollable spinning
3411 11 2015-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mitchell.lee.ap
lvl.1

United States

Need Help

Hello, thank you for any help in advance.

I have a Turbo Ace Matrix with a Naza-M V2.  I had a crash and needed to replace 2 motors, 1 arm, the GPS Module antenna and all 4 props.  
I recalibrated the IMU on a flat surface and recalibrated the compass multilple times.
The system does connect to up to 8 satitlites at a time, LED is showing all the proper indicators, set to GPS or ATT mode, all check.

Everytime I take off it immediately tries to pull and spiral to it's right.  It can maintain altitude if it didn't hit anything, but the drifting is rather fast and I won't get it more than a few feet off the ground.   It's not the fishbowl effect, more intense.  I've tried rotating the GPS module and that did not solve the problem. I have some control of the drone but it doesn't seem stable.  When I try to counter the spiral by having it spiral left it sort of stalls but sounds like the engines are going faster, hard to desribe, didn't want to try it a lot.  I wondering if a possible gyroscope in the GPS module or something might be throwing it off, but it does connect to satilites and doesn't show any signs of problems from the LED or the assistant program.  

Do the motors need to be recalibrated or something?
Did the Naza break? Seems to be fine when I run it through the assistant
Did the GPS module break? Seems to be connecting to satilites fine, LED giving proper signals.

2015-3-24
Use props
etirado
lvl.1

Puerto Rico

It looks that you have a bad motor probably or one of the gyros at the naza damaged at crash.
2015-3-25
Use props
joe
lvl.3

United States

Are props and motors spinning the correct direction?
2015-3-27
Use props
mitchell.lee.ap
lvl.1

United States

joe@heliflightc Posted at 2015-3-28 07:06
Are props and motors spinning the correct direction?

Yes, it wouldn't be able to get airborn if one of the props was pushing down.  Thanx for throwing ideas out there.

I think entirado is right with the gyro in the naza, i already purchased a new naza system and will install is soon.
2015-3-30
Use props
joe
lvl.3

United States

Normally the calibration should show if a gyro is bad.   It should come up with n error and the calibration data for at least one axis will look bad.  Part of the calibration is to look for gyro bias and consistency.  Every gyro has bias - meaning it shows a non neutral signal when not moving.  The calibration looks to see for each gyro how much this is and puts offsets to compensate.  IF the bias is inconsistent or extremely high it should show and error.

Since you did a calibration and found no error I was looking for other issues.  Since you replaced 2 motor and props if the wrong rotation motors were put in place it could cause your symptoms.  A bit harder to do with the new self tightening props but I have done it on standard motors.  Yeah it's a dumb one but when you are distracted sometimes.... With one or two motors and props backwards you would take off but not be able to control yaw.  

Your right with just a prop backwards it would not get off the ground.
2015-3-30
Use props
mitchell.lee.ap
lvl.1

United States

thank you for your ideas joe, much appreciated.
I'm going to try and replace the naza soon and see if it fixes the problem, even though i really don't want to go through the entire pairing process.  But it seems like you don't necessarily believe it is the naza, or at least not the gyro. I agree that when I calibrate the system that it should show if my gyro is off, but i'm running out of ideas.  The weirdest attribute is that, as I stated, it can maintain it's altitude if I take it out to a field and just let it go, but it just keeps spiraling to the right.

I feel like it either...
it has to be the Naza?
I need to calibrate my motors some how because the new ones may be out performing the new ones?
Or there may be an unknown issue with my controller.

I don't really know, getting frustrated, at least I have my Inspire 1 fully operational.

2015-3-30
Use props
joe
lvl.3

United States

I had a weird issue with a build of a 680 hex.   It would get of the ground but was extremely unstable.  Had some yaw issues as well.
It was basically unflyable.  We switched controllers, re-calibrated motors, did motor calibration one by one, everytihng we could think of and still no good.
Then when attempting to calibrate motor end points one by one we noticed 2 ESC made a different beep pattern than the other 4 ESCs
We replaced the whole set of ESC and voila problem solved.  A week of work because of apparently different firmware from the manufacturer on a set of ESC.  I think a airplane conventional software was on a couple and they were reacting too slow as well as not calibrating the same.  I was about to get the hammer out.  Variation in ESC performance, other than calibration, is not a typical cause we look for.
2015-3-31
Use props
mitchell.lee.ap
lvl.1

United States

So I have never calibrated the ESCs, I had never heard of that.  I'm studying and and see that ESCs is calibrating the motors basically and I have not done that.  Hopefully it is the cause of the problem, and also seems like a big process. Wish me luck
2015-4-3
Use props
observereb
lvl.1

United States

Verify that you have the correct direction spinning motor on the correct arm.  I recently had a bird that spun uncontrollably, because it had the CW motors on the CCW arms and vice versa.....

It flew perfectly flat, but started moving off in one direction...
2015-4-5
Use props
jdpitts
New

United Kingdom

mitchell.lee.ap Posted at 2015-4-4 01:55
So I have never calibrated the ESCs, I had never heard of that.  I'm studying and and see that ESCs  ...

Have you managed to fix this?
2015-4-11
Use props
mitchell.lee.ap
lvl.1

United States

I calibrated the ESCs and while it flew slightly better, it did not fix the issue.  I have since completely unassembled my unit and replaced the other 2 motors and the Naza Unit, leaving a broken ESC as the final possibility.  I have not yet reassembled it as I have been busy with the Inspire 1.  
2015-4-15
Use props
mitchell.lee.ap
lvl.1

United States

So I put her completely back together today and she flew perfect. Very relieved, spent a lot of money.  I don't know which motors were bad and which were good but I've replaced all 4, $1000 geez.... Plus I replaced the Naza as well.  

So I've basically replaced everything at this point and still think there may be a problem with one of my ESCs.  Even though she flew perfect, when I've got her plugged into the naza assistant and do a motor test the 3rd motor does not function properly.  Sometimes it spins perfect, sometimes it sort of has a click/delay and then spins up, or sometimes it won't spin at all and makes a buzz/whistle sound.  Since it's a brand new motors and I did calibrate all 4 of them the only issue there could exist is the ESC.  
2015-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules