On old firmware, to update or not?
1775 26 2017-8-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans38abbabd
New
Flight distance : 14554 ft
United States

Hey all, so I'm planning on using my P4 for the first time in a while and haven't updated the firmware for probably close to a year. My first question would be, will I be forced to update my firmware when I go to fly, or can I stick with the current, but much older firmware, which I was happy with when I last flew? Second question, is the latest firmware really that bad? It seems like universally almost everyone is complaining about it and regretting updating, is it overblown or is it really an issue?

Thanks
2017-8-1
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You realise you've just opened a tin of worms ?
2017-8-1
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

The most experienced Phantom pilots here (and everywhere else) are ripping their hair out over this update. It most certainly is not over blown. Indeed, when I first flew on the new firmware, I thought it was a case of the usual forum noise - people b*tching because they have nothing better to do. But the issue is real. I'd stay where you are until a fix presents itself - and believe me it will. Pretty sure you won't be forced to update, although you may run into more issues if you've updated the app beyond 4.1.3 (from memory).
2017-8-1
Use props
fans38abbabd
New
United States

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-8-1 14:36
The most experienced Phantom pilots here (and everywhere else) are ripping their hair out over this update. It most certainly is not over blown. Indeed, when I first flew on the new firmware, I thought it was a case of the usual forum noise - people b*tching because they have nothing better to do. But the issue is real. I'd stay where you are until a fix presents itself - and believe me it will. Pretty sure you won't be forced to update, although you may run into more issues if you've updated the app beyond 4.1.3 (from memory).

Alright thanks, I have definitely updated my app since I last flew so hopefully that isn't too much of an issue. Is there any consensus on what the last stable/reliable firmware version was, and from the state my drone is in, is it possible to upgrade to that one?
2017-8-1
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans38abbabd Posted at 2017-8-1 14:40
Alright thanks, I have definitely updated my app since I last flew so hopefully that isn't too much of an issue. Is there any consensus on what the last stable/reliable firmware version was, and from the state my drone is in, is it possible to upgrade to that one?

v1.2.602 was perfectly stable. Came out November last year, Sadly the only way you will be able to upgrade to it is to use third party means, Any mention of it is being moderated given the tensions, but I'd suggest you search rcgroups.com for 'DJI Dashboard - How To tips and tricks' and look for Harry Potter's favourite professor.

*edit - bear in mind this is not an approved processs - in fact it is frowned upon by DJI. What version are you currently running? Unless there is specifc functionality you are missing and assuming your bird is flying true, it may just be worth holding your horses.
2017-8-1
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-8-1 14:42
v1.2.602 was perfectly stable. Came out November last year, Sadly the only way you will be able to upgrade to it is to use third party means, Any mention of it is being moderated given the tensions, but I'd suggest you search rcgroups.com for 'DJI Dashboard - How To tips and tricks' and look for Harry Potter's favourite professor.

*edit - bear in mind this is not an approved processs - in fact it is frowned upon by DJI. What version are you currently running? Unless there is specifc functionality you are missing and assuming your bird is flying true, it may just be worth holding your horses.

The cool thing is that you could utilise d u m b l e d o r e to flash v2.00.0106 (twice), see if your P4 'jerks' in hover, then re-flash with v1.2.0602 (twice) to get it to an earlier stable version. All within 30 min if you know what you're doing...
2017-8-1
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans38abbabd Posted at 2017-8-1 14:40

I suspect you'll only be offered the latest version in Assistant 2 or DJI Go 4 (you're probably still on DJI Go, which was superseded by Go 4 for the P4).

There are a significant number who have problems, the problem is that nobody knows the stats exactly, as there are also a significant number of successful, or at least reasonably successful updates.

As already suggested by SomeoneElsesDro if you can stay on what you have for a while then it should work OK. I suspect that a greater number have had reasonable success with the update, which for me proved worthwhile, although I have random dropouts while recording in 4k (AND the recent DJI Go 4 updates may have some effect on this ?) the big benefit for me was the level horizon, with other improvements being a bonus. So if it's an important job stick where you are. If you're just dusting it off after winter and like taking chances then try updating. If it works it's several new features for the P4, giving it an extended lease of life.
2017-8-1
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-1 14:54
I suspect you'll only be offered the latest version in Assistant 2 or DJI Go 4 (you're probably still on DJI Go, which was superseded by Go 4 for the P4).

There are a significant number who have problems, the problem is that nobody knows the stats exactly, as there are also a significant number of successful, or at least reasonably successful updates.

Agree, and it seems like the success rate is ~50/50. Personally, I haven't experienced the 4K issue, but did experience the 'jerk' on hover - none of the 'aggressive' flight responses either. After experimenting with the magical flash process last weekend, and resetting to factory default prior to each upgrade/downgrade, it seemed better when going to v2.00.0106 as the last test. But I'm yet to have an extended flight to test further.

Something I thought was pretty cool which I hadn't noted previously, when I was trying to force the P4 (with v2.00.0106) to do something erratic by doing high speed up and downs in the same space, even at full stick down, as the P4 got closer to the ground it would slow down and eventually ignore my 'full stick down' as it softly touched to the ground. I don't recall it doing that on the earlier v.0602 firmware...
2017-8-1
Use props
Jan Jensen
lvl.3
Denmark

i just downgraded mine to v1.2.602.. So no, do not upate.!!
2017-8-1
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-8-1 15:02
Agree, and it seems like the success rate is ~50/50. Personally, I haven't experienced the 4K issue, but did experience the 'jerk' on hover - none of the 'aggressive' flight responses either. After experimenting with the magical flash process last weekend, and resetting to factory default prior to each upgrade/downgrade, it seemed better when going to v2.00.0106 as the last test. But I'm yet to have an extended flight to test further.

Something I thought was pretty cool which I hadn't noted previously, when I was trying to force the P4 (with v2.00.0106) to do something erratic by doing high speed up and downs in the same space, even at full stick down, as the P4 got closer to the ground it would slow down and eventually ignore my 'full stick down' as it softly touched to the ground. I don't recall it doing that on the earlier v.0602 firmware...

"I don't recall it doing that on the earlier v.0602 firmware..."

I think that may be part of the new 'Landing Protection' which you can enable/disable as required.
2017-8-1
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-8-1 15:02

I think this is part of precision landing. It will also (apparently)  shift itself slightly to avoid a hazard on landing. I agree it's cool, but I'm also a bit dubious about the idea of not having full control of my craft. If I want/need to come down hard and fast (say in high winds or on a boat) I don't want the phantom trying to autonomously execute a textbook landing only to be picked up by a gust and thrown upside down. Just needs to be switch offable is all.
2017-8-1
Use props
fans38abbabd
New
United States

So it looks like i'll just stick with the firmware I have, I can reply back with the exact version once I'm home.
But now I have the DJI GO and DJI GO 4 app, I'm guessing I'm stuck with the GO 4 app with it?
2017-8-1
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-8-1 15:14
I think this is part of precision landing. It will also (apparently)  shift itself slightly to avoid a hazard on landing. I agree it's cool, but I'm also a bit dubious about the idea of not having full control of my craft. If I want/need to come down hard and fast (say in high winds or on a boat) I don't want the phantom trying to autonomously execute a textbook landing only to be picked up by a gust and thrown upside down. Just needs to be switch offable is all.

Hmm, yeah. Perhaps there's a slider under the Precision Landing option to enable/disable "Smack into ground and turn into a fireball"? I'll check it out this weekend - sunshine permitting (hey, unlike you guys up there, it's Winter down here... brrr)
2017-8-1
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans38abbabd Posted at 2017-8-1 15:25
So it looks like i'll just stick with the firmware I have, I can reply back with the exact version once I'm home.
But now I have the DJI GO and DJI GO 4 app, I'm guessing I'm stuck with the GO 4 app with it?

That depends on aircraft firmware or system checks, not sure which, try DJI Go first, but I'm sure there was a cut off which forced P4 onto DJI Go 4. It may be in the lap of the gods :-)
2017-8-1
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

There have been some issues reported with the very latest version of DJI Go 4 - but generally speaking - the app is just as good, if not better than DJI Go. The only reason I said you might want to steer clear of the very latest versions is because they implement a call home feature in order to prevent modifications to drones. Part of this is asking you to login and restricting flight if you don't and blah blah (you can read about it). With older firmware,  you may run into prompts giving you hard time. If you can fly in a straight line, no need to update anything until the issues are addressed.
2017-8-1
Use props
fans38abbabd
New
United States

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-8-1 15:32
There have been some issues reported with the very latest version of DJI Go 4 - but generally speaking - the app is just as good, if not better than DJI Go. The only reason I said you might want to steer clear of the very latest versions is because they implement a call home feature in order to prevent modifications to drones. Part of this is asking you to login and restricting flight if you don't and blah blah (you can read about it). With older firmware,  you may run into prompts giving you hard time. If you can fly in a straight line, no need to update anything until the issues are addressed.

Gotcha, alright, I suppose worse case I can roll back to a previous DJI GO app version back to when it supported the P4.
2017-8-1
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans38abbabd Posted at 2017-8-1 15:46
Gotcha, alright, I suppose worse case I can roll back to a previous DJI GO app version back to when it supported the P4.

You sure can. I use fiddler on windows and charles proxy on mac to do this when I need to on iOS. On Android, it's a straightforward affair.
2017-8-1
Use props
KFarm
lvl.1
United States

Updated last week.  Flying today and I was in POI mode, setting radius, I lost control of the Phantom 4, it moved over a roof at AGL of about 50-feet and would not respond to any command.
2017-8-1
Use props
KFarm
lvl.1
United States

KFarm Posted at 2017-8-1 15:50
Updated last week.  Flying today and I was in POI mode, setting radius, I lost control of the Phantom 4, it moved over a roof at AGL of about 50-feet and would not respond to any command.

I tried a host of things while the battery ran down.  Rebooted into DJI GO, Rebooted into Litchi, tried without the tablet, Tried PSA modes, Rebooted tablet.  Eventually, it ran out of power and descended slowly to the pitched roof, tumbled off, and fell 40-feet.  I caught it on the first bounce.  Damage was minimal, considering.  (top shell, small crack, two broken props.)

For about 15-minutes I could do nothing to wrest back control.

DO NOT FLY WITH THE NEW FIRMWARE!

DJI says that they know there are issues (understatement!) and will roll out a new version next week (week of August 7)

KFarm
2017-8-1
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

KFarm Posted at 2017-8-1 15:59
I tried a host of things while the battery ran down.  Rebooted into DJI GO, Rebooted into Litchi, tried without the tablet, Tried PSA modes, Rebooted tablet.  Eventually, it ran out of power and descended slowly to the pitched roof, tumbled off, and fell 40-feet.  I caught it on the first bounce.  Damage was minimal, considering.  (top shell, small crack, two broken props.)

For about 15-minutes I could do nothing to wrest back control.

Where did you get the next week info from??
2017-8-1
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Is that true about next week?, or did he just drop something on us and run off laughing. I think the latter
2017-8-1
Use props
fans38abbabd
New
United States

Alright, so I left the firmware as is, I forgot to check the exact version, but it's from Aug 2016. As far as the iPhone app, I have the latest DJIGO 4 app which seems to connect and work just fine, and I also downgraded the old DJIGO app to 2.8.4 which was current at the time of that firmware.
Nothing like going back in time, just to be able to fly something we spent $1500+ on
2017-8-2
Use props
Cstoli009
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7087 ft
United States

KFarm Posted at 2017-8-1 15:50

Where did you get that info about next week?
2017-8-2
Use props
KFarm
lvl.1
United States

Cstoli009 Posted at 2017-8-2 12:14
Where did you get that info about next week?

I was on the phone with DJI Customer Support yesterday.  I was calling to complain about two flight modes (Draw and Tap Fly) which were not working at all.

I also wanted to clarify - for good - the differences between the way flight modes work on the P4 verses the P4P and P4A.

2017-8-2
Use props
dazza.uk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 743110 ft
United Kingdom

I guess your info about the 7th was wrong then kfarm??
2017-8-7
Use props
Mephistopheles
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2441089 ft
United States

He said "the week of the 7th."  There may still be hope.
2017-8-8
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

Mephistopheles Posted at 2017-8-8 07:31
He said "the week of the 7th."  There may still be hope.

Don't hold your breath.........
2017-8-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules