Mavic flipped...
12Next >
10747 63 2017-8-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Crash45
lvl.1
United States

During a flight yesterday, ascended from the ground up to about 40 ft, and then all of a sudden, the mavic did a flip in mid-air...  There was a little bit of wind, but nothing that the MP can't handle.  Not sure what happened...don't know if it was a software error or sensor issue... video clip on YouTube, would appreciate your opinions.  I sent it to DJI support, waiting for a response, but figured I would post something here to see if anybody else has seen this.

2017-8-1
Use props
Crash45
lvl.1
United States

Nephroghost Posted at 2017-8-1 15:45
I think the gimbal did the flip if that's what you meant- a wonky calibration attempt of some sort. I think someone posted a similar issue a few weeks back.

No, my buddy saw the actual drone flip, not just the gimbal, and I actually caught a glimpse about mid flip.
2017-8-1
Use props
Nephroghost
lvl.2
Flight distance : 200456 ft
United States

I think the gimbal did the flip if that's what you meant- a wonky calibration attempt of some sort. I think someone posted a similar issue a few weeks back.
2017-8-1
Use props
Crash45
lvl.1
United States

I also just checked my logs, and I'm not seeing that particular flight recorded...so I have no idea.  I can see the log before and after, but not this one.
2017-8-1
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

OK... Yes it flipped big time!

First mistake, you took off from a CONCRETE SLAB. Second mistake you took off next to 2 cars. Third mistake, your antennas were not in the correct position since you were flying straight up above you.

Most likely all of those factors messed the hell out of your MP and it did this AWESOME FLIP...Man that was cool dude!

From now, never fly off your concrete driveway or walkway. Do it off the street and away from cars!

2017-8-1
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

What mobile device are you using? See if you can find the flight record files in your phone. For Android devices, connect the device to the computer, find the flight records stored in …\DJI\dji.pilot\FlightRecord\,  For iOS devices, connect the device to the computer, launch the iTunes, find the flight records in the DJI GO 4 app. Please provide me with the flight record, I'd like to look into it. Besides, since you've contacted the Support, do you have a ticket number or case number?
2017-8-1
Use props
Jeff7577
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-8-1 18:10
OK... Yes it flipped big time!

First mistake, you took off from a CONCRETE SLAB. Second mistake you took off next to 2 cars. Third mistake, your antennas were not in the correct position since you were flying straight up above you.

Bro, most concrete does not have reinforcement...especially sidewalks and driveways. This was the gimbal and not the drone most likely, put your .DAT file from this flight on Dropbox and we will see.
2017-8-1
Use props
Mike Mas
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

It had nothing to do with the concrete, antennas or cars, something just glitched.

Regards Mike
2017-8-1
Use props
Drink Windex
New
Flight distance : 262487 ft
United States

I have one of those 36$ drones the size of a playing card and it has a button that does this flip.

I kinda wish I could make my mavic do it.

Obviously two of your motors cut out for a second.

Lucky for you they cut back on!
2017-8-1
Use props
ephektz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94534 ft
United States

You unlocked the secret acro mode, apparently. This was almost certainly not a gimbal "flip." I've had mine do it before, but this is clearly the entire rig going end over. I'm interested to see what the results of this are.
2017-8-1
Use props
Siambuddhas Gro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116926 ft
Singapore

wow....i tot only the other made can flips...didnt know MP can do that....really safety reason ..dji have to get a fully check on this issue...
2017-8-2
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

Definitely a flip - camera view upside down if you look at the footage frame by frame. "Gimbal gone wild" looks different, and besides when gimbal glitch happens, it cuts off recording. Here recording went on.

Concrete slab is the most probable culprit.

I too have (a bit cheaper) hexacopter with a "flip" mode button. Press it then indicate with the right stick which direction it should flip. The maneuver loses quite a lot of altitude.
2017-8-2
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

It seems you were able to unlock the super sport mode

If you can tell us what they say about it, that was scary...
2017-8-2
Use props
Micronx
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17005 ft
Portugal

CuaC Posted at 2017-8-2 01:10
It seems you were able to unlock the super sport mode

If you can tell us what they say about it, that was scary...

lol
2017-8-2
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

What happens when your Mavic takes off (same speed) from the identical spot, in identical conditions (also the same phone) and identical flying mode?
Will it do this flip again?
Did the motors stop or perhaps only one or two in a flash? (you were close enough to hear a malfunction)
2017-8-2
Use props
martin_bogo
lvl.1
United States

I have had a Mavic 'glitch' this way once.  Interestingly, like you, there were no logfiles afterwards... this might be indicative of a power brownout/failure mid flight?  EM interference perhaps?
2017-8-2
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

martin_bogo Posted at 2017-8-2 08:19
I have had a Mavic 'glitch' this way once.  Interestingly, like you, there were no logfiles afterwards... this might be indicative of a power brownout/failure mid flight?  EM interference perhaps?

The amazing thing with that flip is it recovered!
But, I'd be checking the ESC for a glitch for sure, must have killed 2 motors for a second, eh?
2017-8-2
Use props
STRIDE8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

Yeah that was definitely a flip
2017-8-2
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maybe you bought a Mavic clone instead of a real one. The clone does the flip trick. Good thing it recovered. Scary.
2017-8-2
Use props
Crash45
lvl.1
United States

So the secret code to unlock the flip is up, up, down, down, A, B, up....jk

I flew in the area for a bit, and this was the only erratic behavior it displayed... But yeah, definitely had to change my drawers afterwards...  DJI responded with the following:

Hi Cody,

Thank you for reaching out DJI Technical Support.
We'll be more than happy to help you out with your concern.

We apologize for the inconvenience that you are experiencing with your DJI Mavic Pro. Upon reviewing the video that you have send, we have noticed that you are trying to fly your unit in a urban area. We do advise to fly your aircraft with caution.

There are many signal interference within your areas especially the Wi-Fi Connection. Some other signal interference that might affect your flight efficiency are radio transmission towers, power lines, base stations, electromagnetic interference devices, and large deposits of magnetic metal.

If ever you have any concerns or questions, please feel free to contact us again.
Thank you and have a nice day!
Best Regards,
Carlo
DJI SUPPORT

2017-8-4
Use props
Oh My
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18694 ft
New Zealand

Crash45 Posted at 2017-8-4 18:26

I flew in the area for a bit, and this was the only erratic behavior it displayed... But yeah, definitely had to change my drawers afterwards...  DJI responded with the following:

Are you happy with what DJI support said?

This expensive  drone easily get "Interference" and my cheap quad copter doesn't.
They are making excuse to avoid any responsibility for any glitch of system.
2017-8-4
Use props
CharlieFliesDro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36148 ft
United States

Yah thats a flip I knew mavic could flip Just didn't know how it was done ...
.I would be very cautious with that bird for a while incase it goes side ways and you can't control it
I had my mavic fall from 30ft into soft grass and still can hear that sound to this day it hit the ground and puked out the gimble  assbly $350 later... My bird is rock solid....C
2017-8-4
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

there are scary videos of this out there but more cause people are  jailbreaking the Mavic to do 'aerial-acrobatics' which will void your warranty and can be unpredictable and dangerous...
2017-9-26
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

To be fair, in all the manuals it does say that flying in urban area's can cause silly things to happen - Interference and stuff. Never seen this though and glad that it righted itself instead of being a broken mess. I take it the craft is stable in flight the rest of the time and functions as it should..??
2017-9-26
Use props
jeepguy67
lvl.1
Flight distance : 44616 ft
United States

First, how does a concrete slab launch have anything to do with that? I am new to the drone, and I have taken off multiple times from a concrete slab (and near cars as well) and never had any issue like this. I am not being incredulous, I'd like to know if it DOES affect the drone like this, I don't want it to happen to mine.
Secondly, I see something right at :11 that appears in the camera view...almost looks like a black piece of fabric or something. It's not the prop, since the camera is pointing downwards as far as I can tell. Was something broken and hanging down? It appears for a split second...seems like something got either tangled or something broke and is hanging under the craft..
2017-9-26
Use props
Pumavic
lvl.3
United States

jeepguy67 Posted at 2017-9-26 08:51
First, how does a concrete slab launch have anything to do with that? I am new to the drone, and I have taken off multiple times from a concrete slab (and near cars as well) and never had any issue like this. I am not being incredulous, I'd like to know if it DOES affect the drone like this, I don't want it to happen to mine.
Secondly, I see something right at :11 that appears in the camera view...almost looks like a black piece of fabric or something. It's not the prop, since the camera is pointing downwards as far as I can tell. Was something broken and hanging down? It appears for a split second...seems like something got either tangled or something broke and is hanging under the craft..

They are thinking the rebar in the concrete may interfere with the signals. Sometimes it may be cheaper wire mesh, much thinner but still, a bunch of metal spread out inside the slab.
2017-9-26
Use props
DronePix
lvl.3
Flight distance : 765469 ft
Australia

I disagree with DJI's explanation.

When a drone flip it is something to do with the firmware or the hardware itself, and I believe the former is the culprit.

I would be silly for DJI to blame on the interference, it only makes its product appeared to be a cheap toy.
2017-9-26
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

I've been trying to flip mine since  I got it.... tell me the secret!!!
2017-9-26
Use props
sigkill
lvl.2
Canada

Please I can haz flip mode?

It is true about concrete, it can have metal reinforcing it. I simple test is to pick a landing spot, and then look at the magnetic sensor data in the GO app. I would recommend doing that check any time you try a new takeoff point.

When the compasses get bad data things can go very wrong. I myself flew too close to some metal and the Mavic went crazy for half a minute and I was very lucky because it almost crashed at very high speed and no buttons or any actions could control it until it calmed down. Somebody could have gotten hurt! Now I changed my Sport switch to ATTI mode instead for just such an emergency.
2017-9-26
Use props
Doots
lvl.3
Flight distance : 682598 ft
United States

Nephroghost Posted at 2017-8-1 15:45

Unless the video was edited, that was a forward flip. At no time did the camera show the body of the drone which is normally behind the camera. You can see the street below slide out of view at the top of the frame and slide back into view coming from the bottom of the frame
2017-9-26
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

sigkill Posted at 2017-9-26 15:15
Now I changed my Sport switch to ATTI mode instead for just such an emergency.

Wha??  How did you change your Sport switch to ATTI mode switch?  (Or was this a cruel joke?)  I guarantee there are thousands of Mavic owners who would kill to know the secret.  OK, maybe not 'kill', maybe just remove limbs from someone one at a time.
2017-9-26
Use props
sigkill
lvl.2
Canada

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-26 15:34
Wha??  How did you change your Sport switch to ATTI mode switch?  (Or was this a cruel joke?)  I guarantee there are thousands of Mavic owners who would kill to know the secret.  OK, maybe not 'kill', maybe just remove limbs from someone one at a time.

While ATTI mode is handy in an emergency, it is also something that can be dangerous in the wrong hands. We can assume this is why DJI has not made the option easily accessible. We can respect DJI in this regard.
2017-9-26
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

sigkill Posted at 2017-9-26 18:38
We can respect DJI in this regard.

No, 'we' do not have to.  Maybe you can.  I think it's disgusting that they removed this ability from the pilot in the Mavic series.  

Reminds me of Airbus, which was basically designed for the lowest common denominator from the get-go.  And no, I'm not just voicing an opinion here.  The whole point of Airbus' philosophy is to be able to get low-hours pilots flying you around.  The aircraft knows better than the pilot.  Because in most Airbus-operator cases, it really does.
2017-9-27
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting flip.

And I thought only SYMA copters flipped.  
2017-9-27
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-27 04:49
No, 'we' do not have to.  Maybe you can.  I think it's disgusting that they removed this ability from the pilot in the Mavic series.  

Reminds me of Airbus, which was basically designed for the lowest common denominator from the get-go.  And no, I'm not just voicing an opinion here.  The whole point of Airbus' philosophy is to be able to get low-hours pilots flying you around.  The aircraft knows better than the pilot.  Because in most Airbus-operator cases, it really does.

Well given "human factors" cause the majority of incidents then its not a bad policy.  Its also a policy boeing have belatedly adopted especially with the binliner.

Road accidents are the same.  The squishy bag of skin and liquid in control is usually the cause of the accident.  The less control you give it the less accidents happen.

Lowest common denominator bash about airbus is (i) deluded and (ii) factually incorrect.  Im assuming the poster is american.
2017-9-27
Use props
sigkill
lvl.2
Canada

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-27 04:49

Seek and ye shall find!
2017-9-27
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2017-9-27 11:33
Im assuming the poster is american.

Guilty as charged.  I would congratulate you on your perceptive abilities or detective work, but the "United States" below my name kinda takes all the sport out of it.

As for the ATTI switch, I've located the answer.  There are even youtube videos with circles and arrows explaining how to do it.  When I first searched for the answer (textual web pages only), it wasn't immediately easy to locate, mainly because all you get are hundreds of pages of gripes that there is no ATTI mode.  Thanks sigkill.
2017-9-28
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Was your battery fully charged? Lol, seriously that was pretty cool..
2017-9-28
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-28 13:40
Guilty as charged.  I would congratulate you on your perceptive abilities or detective work, but the "United States" below my name kinda takes all the sport out of it.

As for the ATTI switch, I've located the answer.  There are even youtube videos with circles and arrows explaining how to do it.  When I first searched for the answer (textual web pages only), it wasn't immediately easy to locate, mainly because all you get are hundreds of pages of gripes that there is no ATTI mode.  Thanks sigkill.

He's the next alfred Einstein
2017-9-28
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

cool flip. glad your baby didnt crash and cool you recorded it . i dont always remember to start recording on take off
2017-9-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules