1448 8 2017-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_jI8pBS5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51342 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aplogies if this is a double post from me.   Can't see my original post.

I'm still learning to fly.  No fancy moves here.

Notes:
I have the 6 pack from Polar Pro (first version that shipped out) and finally had a reason and time to try out the ND32.   All clips were shot during noon on a very sunny Georgia day.

Used the RC connected to iPhone 7+ via WiFi.   I was doing OTG, but at this point I have gone for the convenience of WiFi.  I still maintain line of sight with my Spark at all times, so I don't need the distance and the WiFi connection to remote has not given me issues.

Tripod Mode
White Balance: Daylight
ND32 to maintain Shutter 1/60
ISO 200
Video imported into FCPX at 30p
No color grade applied
audio from iPhone Voice Recorder

2017-8-2
Use props
dojoman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 64865 ft
United States

Footage is a bit too dark for my taste. I wouldn't use ND32.
2017-8-2
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I like the dark rich color, looks nice to me.  I also have the filters, and you've inspired me to go out and play with them.
2017-8-2
Use props
djiuser_jI8pBS5
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

dojoman Posted at 2017-8-2 09:23
Footage is a bit too dark for my taste. I wouldn't use ND32.

Ok.   Out of curiosity, how would you handle the same conditions to achieve 1/60 shutter?   

My goal was to maintain that shutter speed, and avoid any auto exposure, while shooting in direct hard sunlight.   ND32 was the only one that worked.   ND16 and ND8 would give me very high shutter speeds, not suitable of the footage I prefer.  Hard light like that is going to give really dark shadows, and exposing it higher would have blown the highlights a lot on the water and rocks.   
2017-8-2
Use props
dojoman
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_jI8pBS5 Posted at 2017-8-2 09:35
Ok.   Out of curiosity, how would you handle the same conditions to achieve 1/60 shutter?   

My goal was to maintain that shutter speed, and avoid any auto exposure, while shooting in direct hard sunlight.   ND32 was the only one that worked.   ND16 and ND8 would give me very high shutter speeds, not suitable of the footage I prefer.  Hard light like that is going to give really dark shadows, and exposing it higher would have blown the highlights a lot on the water and rocks.

I would still use ND16 with ISO100. Even with high shutter speed not higher than 1/100 would you really be able to tell the difference?
2017-8-2
Use props
djiuser_jI8pBS5
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

dojoman Posted at 2017-8-2 09:44
I would still use ND16 with ISO100. Even with high shutter speed not higher than 1/100 would you really be able to tell the difference?

Agreed, but it was an exercise in maintaining shutter speed of 1/60 and an excuse to use that particular filter as it sits unused.  
2017-8-2
Use props
dojoman
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_jI8pBS5 Posted at 2017-8-2 09:50
Agreed, but it was an exercise in maintaining shutter speed of 1/60 and an excuse to use that particular filter as it sits unused.

I was a bit obsessed with getting that cinematic shot by keeping shutter speed constant when I had my Mavic. And with Spark I actually don't even care about maintaining 1/60 shutter speed. I just keep it at auto exposure and just having fun flying around. I don't find anything wrong with high shutter speed for Spark footage. To my eyes it still looks smooth. I also take panorama pics and video so it's not convenient to have ND filter for me.
2017-8-2
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

any suggestions for filters to buy on amazon for my little sparky?
oh, a CPL:  https://www.amazon.com/TAOKE-Fil ... ssory/dp/B074FVC2LC

and they sell a kit!  buying the CPL, one think i do know from when i used to travel.. CPL filters are fantastic to keep on all lenses because they cut glare, and then sun's effects, and reflections and add a slight bit of nuteral density..
2017-8-2
Use props
CharlieZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

Cool, Thanks for sharing!
2019-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules