Transparent film at the top of the gimbal. Remove?
2360 13 2017-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

I just noticed that there is small yellow tab sticking out from the top of the gimbal, leading to a transparent film on its top (under Mavic canopy). Should this film be removed?

2017-8-2
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Yes, this can and should be removed.
2017-8-2
Use props
Lay
lvl.3
Flight distance : 185449 ft
Finland

Really? On another forum some member asked this from dji support and they told not to remove it. Another member was told by DJI flagship store  that it is meant to prevent scratching and not to be removed. I left mine without removing it, but would like to know for shure if it is meant to be removed or not.
2017-8-2
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Lay Posted at 2017-8-2 12:36
Really? On another forum some member asked this from dji support and they told not to remove it. Another member was told by DJI flagship store  that it is meant to prevent scratching and not to be removed. I left mine without removing it, but would like to know for shure if it is meant to be removed or not.

There seems to be some confusion because of missing info from the devs of Mavic. At this point it doesn't quite matter whether or not it is removed, though leaving it on may allow you to avoid some slight cosmetic damage to the top of the gimbal.
2017-8-2
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-8-2 12:48
There seems to be some confusion because of missing info from the devs of Mavic. At this point it doesn't quite matter whether or not it is removed, though leaving it on may allow you to avoid some slight cosmetic damage to the top of the gimbal.

Well, I have removed that sticker from my Mavic's gimbal as I thought that the yellow tab was a reminder for the owner to remove this sticker.
I have not noticed any scratches yet.
I did notice, however, that the sticker was very difficult to remove.
2017-8-2
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

To  be honest, I don't see how scratches can occur on a side that is not exposed to the surroundings.
My biggest concern is that  the tab would create some turbulence resulting in camera shake. Though I have not seen anything of the kind so far filming with the film sticker on, I think I'll be removing it as per DJI Joe's suggestion.
2017-8-3
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

Removed it. Was a bit hart to detach, and it didn't detach in one go.
2017-8-3
Use props
sduck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4315098 ft
United States

Removed it. I'm not concerned about cosmetic damage in that tiny area. I'd be much more concerned about damage to the actual lens, which is in the same neighborhood but doesn't come with a plastic cover.
2017-8-3
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

sduck Posted at 2017-8-3 08:20
Removed it. I'm not concerned about cosmetic damage in that tiny area. I'd be much more concerned about damage to the actual lens, which is in the same neighborhood but doesn't come with a plastic cover.

Good point!
2017-8-3
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

BumblerBee Posted at 2017-8-3 07:53
Removed it. Was a bit hart to detach, and it didn't detach in one go.

Real men don't need stickers...
2017-8-3
Use props
marcelkoks
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51362 ft
New Zealand

I was thinking the yellow tab could potentially put some force on the gimbal when flying at high speeds as the wind pushed against it. Removed it...
2017-8-3
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

The yellow flag on it was a sign to me that it also needed removing.  It was difficult to remove, and like someone else indicated, it came off in more than one piece.  It wasn't very clean either, leaving some of the adhesive used to put it there.
2017-8-3
Use props
Vikko
lvl.1
Flight distance : 228005 ft
Estonia

Haven't removed it, was faced with the same dilemma as the OP. Will get rid of it though
2017-8-4
Use props
Fistel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 491158 ft
Germany

Vikko Posted at 2017-8-4 00:40
Haven't removed it, was faced with the same dilemma as the OP. Will get rid of it though

Removed it too. Right from the start. I have no scratches at this side.
2017-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules