Mavic Gimbal Overload for the third time
1767 18 2017-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alexfeature
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2326 ft
Australia

So yesterday i came back from New Zealand for a photography trip and I brought my Mavic over, and on the first day of my trip i boot up the Mavic infront of this beautiful sunset and the gimbal starts to flip up and down and I receive the 'Gimbal Motor Overloaded' message. I flew it with no problem in Australia the day before and the next day this happens. I had it in my carry on luggage bag too so i knew that it was safe. This is the third time this has happened to me and i'm really fed up with it.
The first time was on my last day of my trip to New Zealand last summer where i flew the drone with no issues, I landed it and turned it off and then i turned it back on again and got the overloaded gimbal message. The second time was actually my fault where i had a minor collision with a lamp post and then i got the gimbal error, but then i learnt from my mistakes and bought a hard case and became super protective with the Mavic for when i'm carrying it around. But yet again i get the error on the first day of my holiday.

I've sent the Mavic back in to DJI twice for repair where the first time was free and the second time cost me, but this is just ridiculous if i have to send it in for the third time where i pay the charges for something that i believe was not my fault and then having it happen to me again in the future for a fourth time. I'm just really disspointed that this happened to me again on my trip where i could have been filming/taking photos of beautiful scenery, I feel like it was a big slap in the face.

I'm just trying to figure out what am i doing wrong, and why does this same thing keep happening, is it my drone in particular or is it just a common problem in the Mavic that hasn't
been fixed?

I've attached a video of what i could have been filming.

Sorry for the rant.

2017-8-2
Use props
Duane652000
lvl.1
Flight distance : 319429 ft
United States

Are you using aftermarket lens covers by chance? If so which ones?
2017-8-2
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maybe re calibrate the gimbal.
2017-8-2
Use props
alexfeature
lvl.1
Australia

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-8-2 18:08
Maybe re calibrate the gimbal.

I tried recalibrating the gimbal and it always gets stuck on 31% before failing to calibrate + I did a IMU Calibration to which actually worked once while i was there but then unfortunately the problem came back and I haven't been able to successfully calibrate it again after that.
2017-8-2
Use props
alexfeature
lvl.1
Australia

Duane652000 Posted at 2017-8-2 18:02
Are you using aftermarket lens covers by chance? If so which ones?

No lens covers, i'm just using the standard gimbal/lens covers that came in the box.
2017-8-2
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

alexfeature Posted at 2017-8-2 18:12
I tried recalibrating the gimbal and it always gets stuck on 31% before failing to calibrate + I did a IMU Calibration to which actually worked once while i was there but then unfortunately the problem came back and I haven't been able to successfully calibrate it again after that.

Maybe manually re-position the gimbal(facing forward) then calibrate.
2017-8-2
Use props
alexfeature
lvl.1
Australia

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-8-2 18:18
Maybe manually re-position the gimbal(facing forward) then calibrate.

I just tried recalibrating it again with the camera facing forward but unfortunately it got stuck on 5% and then failed.
2017-8-2
Use props
KC_Taco
lvl.2
United States

alexfeature Posted at 2017-8-2 18:27
I just tried recalibrating it again with the camera facing forward but unfortunately it got stuck on 5% and then failed.

I had this same issue, sent the drone to DJI , where they ended up replacing a ribbon cable and my front right armor motor.
2017-8-2
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Sorry for this, is the firmware up to date? Please upgrade the firmware first. Have you checked the actual performance of the gimbal after you powered on the drone? Is it normal? Can you control it?
2017-8-2
Use props
alexfeature
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-2 19:55
Sorry for this, is the firmware up to date? Please upgrade the firmware first. Have you checked the actual performance of the gimbal after you powered on the drone? Is it normal? Can you control it?

The firmware is updated to the latest firmware. I'm unable to rotate the gimbal up using the wheel and i'm also unable to adjust the gimbal roll.
2017-8-2
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

alexfeature Posted at 2017-8-2 22:34
The firmware is updated to the latest firmware. I'm unable to rotate the gimbal up using the wheel and i'm also unable to adjust the gimbal roll.

Sorry to say that this may be a hardware problem. You may need to send it in again for diagnosis and repair. Please provide me with your case number if you send it in, I'll keep an eye on it.
2017-8-3
Use props
alexfeature
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-3 00:40
Sorry to say that this may be a hardware problem. You may need to send it in again for diagnosis and repair. Please provide me with your case number if you send it in, I'll keep an eye on it.

Great, thanks a lot Diana. It's just really unfortunate that this had to happen again with know clue on knowing why it did.
2017-8-3
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

alexfeature Posted at 2017-8-3 17:53
Great, thanks a lot Diana. It's just really unfortunate that this had to happen again with know clue on knowing why it did.

I understand how you feel, sorry for this. Have you contacted the Support to open a case?  http://www.dji.com/support
2017-8-3
Use props
alexfeature
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-3 23:01
I understand how you feel, sorry for this. Have you contacted the Support to open a case?  http://www.dji.com/support

I have been in contact with somebody from DJI Support through email but I have not heard from them in a few days.
2017-8-6
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

alexfeature Posted at 2017-8-6 19:52
I have been in contact with somebody from DJI Support through email but I have not heard from them in a few days.

Could you please provide me with your ticket number so I can look into it?
2017-8-7
Use props
Inspire_Max
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9211303 ft
  • >>>
Italy

alexfeature Posted at 2017-8-6 19:52

Did you solve? I have the same problem...
2017-8-24
Use props
fansa5957cce
lvl.1
Flight distance : 330302 ft
United States

Welcome to the club.
2017-8-24
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

How long have you had your Mavic, I have read that the first lots that were sent out had a lot of hardware issues, DJI ws so overwhelmed with pre & backorders they were pumping them out as fast as they could to keep up with the demand resulting in virtually no quality control. Just curious if there is any merit to this claim from other Forums?
2017-8-24
Use props
vertibird
lvl.1
Flight distance : 330302 ft
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-8-24 14:25
How long have you had your Mavic, I have read that the first lots that were sent out had a lot of hardware issues, DJI ws so overwhelmed with pre & backorders they were pumping them out as fast as they could to keep up with the demand resulting in virtually no quality control. Just curious if there is any merit to this claim from other Forums?

Search the term "Gimbal Overload". I would say so...
2017-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules