Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P4P+ : compass error, phantom4Pro+ on the loose!
1468 11 2017-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Polarphoto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1322493 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Havent had this on two P4`s but ...

Today was shooting video and stills for customer on countryside - totally middle of nowhere in Finland.  First battery, flight 20 minutes, no problem. Took bird down, had a 10 min break, switched fresh battery and lifted P4P+ up again.  
After 10-15 minutes flight I got error message on remote controller:  Compass Error!   Phantom buusted max. speed and got loose for 10sec until I switched to ATTI-mode. I had to took it down (safe landing!).  This was first time. Weather was perfect: no wind.

I have latest firmware on P4P. On remote console is also the lastest one for P4P+ (much older than on P4P).

Any similar expiences from other colleagues?

Is it software or hardware-related?

So far, P4P+ has been a bad experience and bad QC from DJI. I have allready my P4P+ Remote Controller on DJI service center. So Im flying with a new RC at the moment.

2017-8-4
Use props
lcastil.pucp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 78159 ft
Peru

Hi Polarphoto. P4P+ has been a terrible experience for me too. Lots of problems with magnetic field and compass, none of which were real I had to send it back for repairs several times. Parts were replace but nobody could tell why they were not working.
Can not use P4P+ with DJI GS Pro, not DroneDeploy. Any luck using any advance autopilot?
2017-8-4
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

What you are reporting is relatively normal. If the aircraft encounters a compass error, it will automatically switch to ATTI mode and drift away with the wind. Even a slight wind will cause it to drift away because it is no longer trying to holsd position. And remember, the wind may be very different 20 or 30 feet up to what it is on the ground. What you did was the correct procedure to bring it back.

Most often, a compass error in flight means the aircraft has encountered a different magnetic environment once it is iin the air to what it had when it was launched. This can be caused by taking off from some object that affects the magnetic field. Concrete is a good example and also launching from a car.
2017-8-4
Use props
photomadnz
lvl.2
Australia

Keyless entry car keys in your pocket screws up the compass often also.........
2017-8-4
Use props
Polarphoto
lvl.2
  • >>>
Finland

photomadnz Posted at 2017-8-4 21:16

No keys, no watch, no phone. Closest house was kilometers away. Totally middle of nowhere.   Compass is on the drone - not on the remote controller...
2017-8-4
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

photomadnz Posted at 2017-8-4 21:16

Pardon? That is simply untrue.
2017-8-4
Use props
Polarphoto
lvl.2
  • >>>
Finland

Geebax Posted at 2017-8-4 16:54
What you are reporting is relatively normal. If the aircraft encounters a compass error, it will automatically switch to ATTI mode and drift away with the wind. Even a slight wind will cause it to drift away because it is no longer trying to holsd position. And remember, the wind may be very different 20 or 30 feet up to what it is on the ground. What you did was the correct procedure to bring it back.

Most often, a compass error in flight means the aircraft has encountered a different magnetic environment once it is iin the air to what it had when it was launched. This can be caused by taking off from some object that affects the magnetic field. Concrete is a good example and also launching from a car.

As I wrote earlier - It didnt switched to ATTI automatically - I switched it manually after the drone went berserk flying full speed.   Weather conditions were perfect, no wind.

I have flown my both P4`s on same location for many days - without single problem.  Checking my manual "logbook" these small syndromes and glitches in matrix are all happened after the latest firmware.....hmm... ?

The day was +24c and I was flown already almost two batteries. Could it be some overheating?
2017-8-4
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Polarphoto Posted at 2017-8-4 21:41
As I wrote earlier - It didnt switched to ATTI automatically - I switched it manually after the drone went berserk flying full speed.   Weather conditions were perfect, no wind.

I have flown my both P4`s on same location for many days - without single problem.  Checking my manual "logbook" these small syndromes and glitches in matrix are all happened after the latest firmware.....hmm... ?

You could try uploading your flight data to Phantomhelp, then come back here with a link to the result. We may be able to give you some idea of what happened: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-8-4
Use props
Polarphoto
lvl.2
  • >>>
Finland

Geebax Posted at 2017-8-4 22:42
You could try uploading your flight data to Phantomhelp, then come back here with a link to the result. We may be able to give you some idea of what happened: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Thanks for the tip!  I have forgotten this
2017-8-5
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

"Compass error" still pops up in the DJI GO 4 app during flight even though the compass has been calibrated successfully in an interference-free environment before the flight. This issue might occur because the aircraft is flying in a place where the compass cannot detect the interference correctly. Please try to fly in another place and see will it persist.
2017-8-5
Use props
Polarphoto
lvl.2
  • >>>
Finland

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-5 22:40
"Compass error" still pops up in the DJI GO 4 app during flight even though the compass has been calibrated successfully in an interference-free environment before the flight. This issue might occur because the aircraft is flying in a place where the compass cannot detect the interference correctly. Please try to fly in another place and see will it persist.

Ok. I did another flight yesterday, two full batteries and no problems. Temperature was little bit cooler, no wind. Last battery from 100% to 40%  just two meters of the ground staying still - just to check if its ok.  
...hmm... ?
2017-8-5
Use props
Polarphoto
lvl.2
  • >>>
Finland

With fresh batteries I managed to fly today almost a minute after compass disconnected.  

@DJI Thor:  Is this a know bug/feature on firmware?
2017-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules