Will the FAA Force Commercial I1 Users to Obtain PP License?
2163 12 2015-3-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Will the FAA Force Commercial Drone Users under 55lbs to Obtain a Private Pilot's License?

If so, will you have to pay to learn how to fly a full sized Cessna or a full sized Helicopter?

Please Discuss, (this is a very important topic for all people intending on using the I1 as a tool to generate future income) -

Bob
2015-3-25
Use props
MainlineAerial
New

United States

This article posted in the last few days by a forum member touches on this mid article. I've also read that we will not be required to get a pilots license from various other sources as it will be overly burdensome and unnecessary. Hope this helps!

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=151&sid=33475079
2015-3-25
Use props
drklion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2712825 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bob,

As I pointed out in the thread http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... d=10600&lang=en all approved 333's have been issued with the understanding that UAS operators have to have a licensed pilot.  In the article it still states the FAA will want the operator to have some kind of license which will cover the rules for flight.  Something along the likes of the sport license.  But as for now you will need a PP.
2015-3-25
Use props
bobbymanson
lvl.2

United States

I don't think in the final version of the rules the FAA will require a Private Pilots license. They will more than likely require a written test of air space and a basic understanding of the FAA regulations. They may even require some sort of flight test operating a drone demonstrating the ability to fly using ATTI should GPS mode fail.

If you are wanting a 333 waiver, I don't see any approved without a PP license and a co-pilot/observer. I've had a private pilots license with a multi-engine & instrument rating since 1979. Like someone else pointed out "way overkill" for flying a UAV. But, I've seen stupidity even from licensed pilots that have passed flight training and FAA check rides that leave me shacking my head. I kinda scares me to see what some people are doing with UAVs and no vetting process and I'd hate to see while flying full size A/c.  My experience with the FAA is that they are basically not heavy handed. The same with the FCC. The people on this forum are smart and use common sense. If that was all the the FAA had to deal with, we would probably be OK to do what we have been doing. But there are enough bubba's flying drones into  Jimmy Buffet concerts to get the negative attention that makes the situation that we are all in.

In my 36 years of flying, I've never have a negative experience with the FAA. I trust that they will do the right thing.
2015-3-25
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

drklion Posted at 2015-3-26 06:27
Bob,

As I pointed out in the thread http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... d=10600&lang=en all approved 333's have been issued with the understanding that UAS operators have to have a licensed pilot....

I don't understand, in that same thread you point out that none of these requests can be enforced, now today you are stating that I MUST have a PP license? There is NO WAY I'm doing that, (it's simply not in the budget).

Others are posting the exact opposite of what you are saying, please respond to them, not to myself - thx
2015-3-25
Use props
drklion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2712825 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just to be clear for everyone:  The FAA, from my understanding, does not require you to obtain a PP to fly your UAS.  But and this is a big but.  When you put in a waiver requests (333) the FAA has only approved, from my latest overview of the approvals, companies that offer in their 333's pilots with at least a PP.

In my point of view it makes sense to have a licensed pilot fly the UAS because they will be operating it within FAA jurisdiction but it also makes sense that the FAA put a new class of license which they have mentioned in the last FAA document pertaining to UAS's.

As for the time being if you are looking for your 333 to be approved having a PP will get it approved as long as all of your other requests within your 333 is acceptable.
2015-3-25
Use props
bobbymanson
lvl.2

United States

drklion Posted at 2015-3-26 06:48
Just to be clear for everyone:  The FAA, from my understanding, does not require you to obtain a PP  ...

This is in agreement with what I posted. Written test + flight test = certification.
2015-3-25
Use props
bobbymanson
lvl.2

United States

I personally welcome a barrier to entry into doing this commercially. Otherwise, the people doing this as a "for profit (kinda)" hobby will always undercut a legitimate business trying to follow the rules and makes it easy for me to answer the question, "why do you charge so much more than ________".
2015-3-25
Use props
Chris Con
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501175 ft
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-3-26 06:38
I don't understand, in that same thread you point out that none of these requests can be enforced, ...

I think I can say this a little more succinctly -

Right now the ONLY WAY to legally use a drone for commercial use in the USA is with a pilots license.
(because the only 333s getting approved include that. ALL OF THEM)

This will probably change in the future, but not for at least another 2 YEARS.
2015-3-25
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 309606 ft
United States

All my sources including "Flight School Association of North America" say it's quite unlikely a PP license will be necessary on Sec.333 authorizations and COA's for commercial operations. Plus, the latest FAA release of "proposed regs" indicate a PP won't be required but proficiency proof and certification will. Certifications definitions are being formulated now. Again, this is what I hear from some pretty qualified sources - some with close relationships with the FAA.

Chris - I would bet you might be right in the immediate and current applications. Time is the big variable. A friend of mine is working closely with the FAA on the certification process and even he won't speculate on the "time factor". You could be "right-on".

This thing is going to evolve over time with experience, history and incidents. The "incidents history" will play a major role as it evolves.   
2015-3-25
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Well there you have it! Essentially the same as Canada only dumber just leave to government to farc everything up!
2015-3-25
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Bob, you told me to come over here for answers, the only one I found here is that you are not qualified legally to make money with your $10,000 dollar investment. Seems to me a bad business decision has been made? Perhaps you need to borrow another 20 grand for a Private Pilots License. But since I already have one of those I guess I'm good to go eh?
2015-3-25
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Alright, I'm sorry, that was un called for. I'll let you punch me back. But that's what you get for calling me names!
2015-3-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules