2017-8-8
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-8-8 16:56
Are you saying that it was not supposed to be leaked, not sure that many would believe that

Shhhh !!!, must be the best kept secret in the world then
2017-8-8
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_55RMcis Posted at 2017-8-8 16:47
It wasn't a press release-
Nor was it intended to be released to the public.  Maybe you should get your facts straight.

Are you saying that it was not supposed to be leaked, not sure that many would believe that
2017-8-8
Use props
djiuser_55RMcis
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-8-8
Use props
djiuser_55RMcis
Banned

United States

2017-8-8
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-8 16:55
Shhhh !!!, must be the best kept secret in the world then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v7nfB5bV3E&feature=youtu.be&t=14m54s

This is scary, how did you manage to reply to my message before I had posted it, the invention of the time machine is still supposed to be a secret!

2017-8-9
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-8-9 01:34
This is scary, how did you manage to reply to my message before I had posted it, the invention of the time machine is still supposed to be a secret!

That's the other next best secret, it's in my shed, trying to develop it so firmware can be rolled back to "exactly how it was" stage. Bonus is that previous build was before last elections
2017-8-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_55RMcis Posted at 2017-8-8 16:59
No. It was a directive. Dozens are issued daily. And someone thought it would be relevant for suasnews. Moreover, the content was known about since May, but I don't think you appear to be aware of that. But I don't suppose you know how things like this work in the US military. There is much better drone technology than DJI.

There is much better drone technology than DJI.
Really?   Any that you can buy?  Please share your info.

Many of the people on this thread completely miss what the story is about.
It's not that DJI drones aren't good enough for the military.  They are and that's why they have been buying them.  They simply don't meet the military's stringent cyber-security requirements.

The army might work with DJI to get a product to comply with their requirements or go elsewhere and pay much, much more for something else made for them.
2017-8-9
Use props
jdjeff
lvl.3
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-8-8 16:06
They wont need that for DJI drones since any USA military base is going to be a "sensitive national-security location" covered by a no-fly-zone and according to DJI's website, the "unlock function is not available for sensitive national-security locations", thus the USA military can't actually fly their DJI drones anymore even if they do want to do so

Now you're digging where the clams are.
2017-8-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_55RMcis Posted at 2017-8-8 16:59
No. It was a directive. Dozens are issued daily. And someone thought it would be relevant for suasnews. Moreover, the content was known about since May, but I don't think you appear to be aware of that. But I don't suppose you know how things like this work in the US military. There is much better drone technology than DJI.

Look at post 82, seems we all know how things work at US Army now.
2017-8-9
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

djiuser_55RMcis Posted at 2017-8-8 13:43
Oh you can go into the slack groups or mod forums for PLENTY of lists of privacy violations, "calling home", violations of GPLs, etc. Many don't like owning a company's products that do that. I can tell you that there are now multiple federal agencies not only prohibited from using DJI products, but the batteries literally have to be taken out - for good reason. Also, let me be clear about the "ongoing review" - there were multiple studies done which were cause for this action. It's not going away anytime soon. DJI products were used for various reasons, contractors and otherwise - not necessarily for battlefield use. Other federal agencies (like NASA) - same.

I think that taking out the batteries is just a precaution, knowing how skittish LiPOs can be...  unless the military have evidence that the intelligent software in them is actually the culprit for transmitting sensitive data to the well known spy-ring headquarters even with the aircrafts turned off... do they also require that the batteries be kept in a Faraday cage under visual control of an armed security detail?
2017-8-9
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Woodwanger Posted at 2017-8-4 10:48
With DJI obsession to control could really be their undoing and this just shows they have really shot themselves in the foot with this or the US military has....lol

They have gone to far. I bought mine for what it can do for me not DJI. I use it for work and now they are telling me when and where I can work.
2017-8-9
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

djiuser_55RMcis Posted at 2017-8-8 13:25
Don't see how you can say that. It's all speculation on your part. Anecdotally, I can tell you that I work at NASA-Armstrong and 4 different people that I know eBayed their personal drones specifically due to the poor customer service and bad privacy/security practices of DJI. I truly believe they are having major issues. The more their code is dissected, the more nefarious stuff is showing up, and customers (private, corporate, and government) are learning this.
DJI is having some big problems. If they were a public company this would have hit their stock.

Fanboys... they ignore the evidence and believe what the want.

The fact is that there are many more people selling their DJI equipment right now, especially after recent events. I am happy with my product and wont be selling it but I am also very concerned as to where this company is headed with their most recent changes to DJI go APP and firmware.

I wasnt implying that no one likes DJI or they arent successful... just that many thousands of people right now are extremely fed up with their business practices (that have only gotten worse) and have decided its not worth the 1000s of dollars to own buggy equipment with buggy firmware (that hasnt seen a fix in 2 months now). Fanboys are welcome to disagree but i can promise you MANY people are frustrated and fed up.
2017-8-9
Use props
SFC57
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9278 ft

United States

UPDATE    UPDATE              http://dronelife.com/2017/08/09/ ... business-justified/
2017-8-9
Use props
SFC57
lvl.1

United States

SFC57 Posted at 2017-8-9 10:09
UPDATE    UPDATE              http://dronelife.com/2017/08/09/us-army-dji-ban-business-justified/

UPDATE Air & Space Magazine

It’s Been a Bad Week for Chinese Drone Maker DJI

http://www.airspacemag.com/daily-planet/bad-week-dji-180964415/
2017-8-9
Use props
djiuser_55RMcis
Banned

United States

2017-8-9
Use props
SFC57
lvl.1

United States

SFC57 Posted at 2017-8-9 10:20
UPDATE Air & Space Magazine

It’s Been a Bad Week for Chinese Drone Maker DJI

Consumer drones are causing problems for the military

http://www.popsci.com/pentagon-has-problem-with-drones
2017-8-9
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

djiuser_55RMcis Posted at 2017-8-9 10:38
Cue the fan bois who will say "nothing to see here!"

There's a LOT to be seen here... a LOT of speculation,  indeed.
2017-8-9
Use props
djiuser_55RMcis
Banned

United States

2017-8-9
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-8-9 03:59
They have gone to far. I bought mine for what it can do for me not DJI. I use it for work and now they are telling me when and where I can work.

I think it's a shame really as they make fantastic drones I just hope they get it sorted!
I suppose with all the negativity with so many people using them now it only takes a few idiots to spoil it for everyone, so I guess eventually something had to be done to safeguard the future of personal drone users
2017-8-11
Use props
timnwcove
lvl.3
Flight distance : 87428 ft
Canada

djiuser_55RMcis Posted at 2017-8-8 13:25
**** The author has been banned or deleted automatically shield ****

Lance or Neil ?
2017-8-11
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

Today Juliet would say "A troll by any other name would smell as bad"...
2017-8-11
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I wonder if they're saving the pennies up for these :- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40901393
2017-8-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-11 15:04
I wonder if they're saving the pennies up for these :- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40901393

They'll soon be making drones that blow bubbles, be great for kids birthday parties. Lol
2017-8-11
Use props
#shotxclvck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3423297 ft
United States

doesnt sound good
2017-8-11
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-11 15:07
They'll soon be making drones that blow bubbles, be great for kids birthday parties. Lol

Done:- https://www.alibaba.com/product- ... 7.86.2789c844y7zOsl
2017-8-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-11 15:13
Done:- https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2017-New-Arrival-WL-V757-3_60667463492.html?spm=a2700.7724857.main07.86.2789c844y7zOsl

Dang another business idea down the drain, back to the drawing board.
2017-8-11
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Woodwanger Posted at 2017-8-11 09:29
I think it's a shame really as they make fantastic drones I just hope they get it sorted!
I suppose with all the negativity with so many people using them now it only takes a few idiots to spoil it for everyone, so I guess eventually something had to be done to safeguard the future of personal drone users

Why penalize the responsible flyers. That is my gripe. I was going to buy an Inspire 2 for my commercial work but because of all of the issues I bought a Yuneec which I am very happy with.
2017-8-12
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Its possible that there may be an upside to all of this with the US army. If they are indeed never going to use DJI drones again, and I think that has yet to be decided, then what will they do with the old ones? Possibly flood the market with government surplus drones that will bring the price down for us n on army folk? Worthwhile keeping an eye out for that.
2017-8-12
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-11 15:04

see also http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40812716  (Not new. they already had it in 1794...)
800px-Early_flight_02562u_(10).jpg
2017-8-12
Use props
djiuser_3uXcBOl
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6565 ft
United States

I think that they are afraid that because dji is a Chinese company, the Chinese might use them to spy on what they are doing
2017-8-13
Use props
epicdoom0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340620 ft
United States

I just read a couple days ago that the military will now be actively shooting down or capturing any drones flying near Installations or property controlled by the military this would include land the military uses or leases such as farms. this could have something to do with it.
2017-8-23
Use props
fansb649cb09
Banned
Flight distance : 2201 ft
United States

2017-8-25
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

I see this as a non-issue.  The military does NOT need DJI to provide them drones.  Now there are purposes where they may or may not come in handy, but I strongly suspect that this is an issue dealing with logs and location data.  The military has an appropriate respect for data and likes being in complete control of that data.  So, if they can't have complete control, then they won't play.  
2017-8-25
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-8-12 03:20
Why penalize the responsible flyers. That is my gripe. I was going to buy an Inspire 2 for my commercial work but because of all of the issues I bought a Yuneec which I am very happy with.

That's the big problem.

DJI has exhibited an extremely advanced level of technology, yet they actively work against their ability to maintain that.

We made the decision to purchase DJI over Yuneec after quite a bit of research on the technologies that both products incorporated.

I'm not going to say that we have buyer's remorse from going with DJI, but I definitely think that we made a premature decision to go with Inspire 2. DJI continues to cripple their technology for whatever reason, and the firmware surprises are becoming a little bit old. (And we've only owned DJI products for about 3 months.)

As far as the US Army is concerned, if we had any DJI equipment in production after the latest batch of firmware updates, believe me, I'd ban the use of those products just the same after the experiences I've had with our Inspire 2. It is inappropriate to push firmware updates through the DJI GO 4 app, only to have those updates severely limit my device's ability to function as advertised.

Seeing as how about 99% of all of these (my) complaints come from the software or firmware side of things, DJI still has the ability to fix all of it. So hopefully they will.

I do believe in DJI's technology -- that's why we bought their product ... But they have to open their eyes to the fact that the rest of the world doesn't appreciate such strict control or restrictions over the actual technology that we were sold on.

Not everyone who has a DJI product is going to go out and make a fool of themselves. And those who end up doing that -- with or without DJI's protective measures or invasion of privacy -- would be doing it anyway. And that holds true -- those types of people will make a clown out of themselves with or without DJI hardware.

And the media and government needs to acknowledge the idiots versus the actual users, instead of blaming the manufacturer of an excellent product, and using "PR bullying" techniques to push them into crippling their products or babysitting the owners.

I for one would never be caught dead flying anywhere in a classified airspace. Other people who do that, well they're the same people who light firecrackers and throw them into crowds, or who have no reservation at having a few beers and throwing a brick into a car window. So regardless, those people are still garbage people.

There is no sense in DJI overstepping their control over these devices. We have still purchased these technologies to use, and what we purchased should not change. And we should definitely have the right to use these products privately and without the fear of having to share too much or unknown information.

All that being said, I still do appreciate DJI. Their products are engineered quite well. The only issue that I have is that they take something great and turn it into a disaster -- and they have got to stop doing that just because some jerk somewhere does something stupid.
2017-8-25
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-8-25 13:42
That's the big problem.

DJI has exhibited an extremely advanced level of technology, yet they actively work against their ability to maintain that.

Very well stated and I totally agree with you. One can buy an expensive sports car for its performance and quality. Another purchases the same vehicle and drives recklessly. We don't see that all of those vehicles become limited in their functionality because of the reckless actions of others. The manufacturer will become a company of the past.

I have been with DJI since their first Phantom and have had every model since along with an Inspire. However, I have now changed to the Yuneec. I came so close to putting $ 10 K into the Inspire 2 before this nonsense started.
2017-8-26
Use props
Teame Zazzu 9
New
United States

Why resort to "undue speculation" when you can read EXACTLY why the military dumped DJI -  https://publicintelligence.net/ice-dji-china/?id=1202

Funny enough, its exactly why I'm dumping them too, they are more focused on data surveillance and control then they are on the customer experience.  After reading the report from US immigration and Customs you'll instantly understand why the sudden changes to the firmware and app and the lack of Beta testing.  Unfortunately, DJI peaked with the Mavic Pro version 1 before DJIGO4.0, everything since then seems to have been about DJI controlling you, your drone and your data.
2018-1-25
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Teame Zazzu 9 Posted at 2018-1-25 10:17
Why resort to "undue speculation" when you can read EXACTLY why the military dumped DJI -  https://publicintelligence.net/ice-dji-china/?id=1202

Funny enough, its exactly why I'm dumping them too, they are more focused on data surveillance and control then they are on the customer experience.  After reading the report from US immigration and Customs you'll instantly understand why the sudden changes to the firmware and app and the lack of Beta testing.  Unfortunately, DJI peaked with the Mavic Pro version 1 before DJIGO4.0, everything since then seems to have been about DJI controlling you, your drone and your data.

in fact .. you are right , all is about control , because they love control everything

2018-1-25
Use props
Teame Zazzu 9
New
United States

"We do not market our products for military customers, and if military members choose to buy and use our products as the best way to accomplish their tasks, we have no way of knowing who they are or what they do with them." -   UMN, REALLY - AREN'T YOU KEEPING FLIGHT LOGS, DEVICE LOGS AND LOGINS FOR EVERY DRONE???
IT WOULD SEEM FLIGHT LOGS TELL YOU EXACTLY WHAT THEY DO WITH THEM AND GPS WILL TELL YOU WHO THEY ARE!!!
2018-1-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Teame Zazzu 9 Posted at 2018-1-25 10:25
"We do not market our products for military customers, and if military members choose to buy and use our products as the best way to accomplish their tasks, we have no way of knowing who they are or what they do with them." -   UMN, REALLY - AREN'T YOU KEEPING FLIGHT LOGS, DEVICE LOGS AND LOGINS FOR EVERY DRONE???
IT WOULD SEEM FLIGHT LOGS TELL YOU EXACTLY WHAT THEY DO WITH THEM AND GPS WILL TELL YOU WHO THEY ARE!!!

UMN, REALLY - AREN'T YOU KEEPING FLIGHT LOGS, DEVICE LOGS AND LOGINS FOR EVERY DRONE???

The big problem with your conspiracy theory is that DJI aren't keeping flight logs, device logs and logins for every drone.
How would DJI get their hands on FLIGHT LOGS, DEVICE LOGS AND LOGINS FOR EVERY DRONE???
Your flight controller has a very short range, it can't transmit that information back to China.
If you are paranoid about your flight data, it's the easiest thing in the world to switch off wifi on your tablet.
But it is really unnecessary because the flight data is only shared with DJI if you choose to share it with DJI and upload to their cloud.
Unless you do that, DJI have no idea where or when you have flown.
2018-1-25
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules