X5S camera is favoring magenta.
3314 15 2017-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I shot a gray card under 5,100K measured sunlight with a Sekonic Color Temperature meter with the stock 15mm and the Olympus 45mm lens on the I2.  The camera has a strong magenta shift to it when shot in the Manual White Balance setting where the Auto White balance is correct and is gray.  Same test with a X4S showed better WB neutral color too.

The top shot is straight out of the camera and you can see the magenta color of the gray as well as the green channel lower than the red and blue.

Second shot I put on an old Kodak Color Correction CC.05 Green filter which brought the lower green channel up into balance with the blue and red and the gray is correct. Vectorscope in Resolve 14 proved it more neutral too.

No doubt this is a firmware fix needed for the Manual WB setting?

X5S Camera Color Error

X5S Camera Color Error
2017-8-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Thank you for feedback about our products, the problem has been forwarded to R&D engineers for further analysis, I will reach you once I hear from them, appreciate your patience.
2017-8-8
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-8 00:06
Thank you for feedback about our products, the problem has been forwarded to R&D engineers for further analysis, I will reach you once I hear from them, appreciate your patience.

Thanks Mindy.

Fwiw, Here is the user info on the RED EPIC video camera Color Temperature Adjustments: http://red.cachefly.net/EPIC_ops.pdf  See pages 56-57.  Refer to "TINT" and "CALC WHITE BALANCE" section.

What I get with the X5S is this nonadjustable magenta tint which is an annoying color since TINT control is not available in GO 4 settings:

X5S magenta tint in Manaul WB.

X5S magenta tint in Manaul WB.
2017-8-8
Use props
Barry Goyette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14928 ft
  • >>>
United States

This has been a problem from day one, and has been submitted to engineering since day two. What's interesting is that the auto WB is doing it's job, so, all we really need is the ability to use that to set a manual WB. Very few cameras have actual tint controls, and somehow I'm doubtful that DJI will give us one. But almost all cameras allow you to use the internal meter to take a custom white balance which functions like the other presets.

FWIW...I don't know if it's the most recent firmware, or the fact that I just received a replacement craft and camera, but the color shift on my i2 x5s is either minimal or gone.
2017-8-8
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
United States

Yes, the Auto WB seems to pull the RGB into a nice neutral gray.  The Manual WB is where it needs to be sorted out.  Nikon has Tint controls in their DSLR's as do the RED Epics for video work and to tune the sensor coloration a bit.

Plan is to cut down the old Wratten .05 Green into a 46mm and 36mm diameter and mount them in a filter holder, or put it behind the ND filter to balance out the WB tint.  I've seen some videos where the sky has that 'burplish' blue/magenta tint from the X5S camera and it looks pretty bad.  DaVinci Resolve forum had a discussion on their White, Black, and Gray color dropper to clean up the WB in post, but there is a sacrifice for a lot of other colors by doing that.  Sort of like shooting with one color channel and trying to repair it in post to make it full spectrum.

Too bad their isn't a way to do a color reading of a white or gray card in Auto in the X5S and then lock it down as the RED Epic ink above describes (Nikon calls it a PRE WB in theirs.).  My X4S has a lot better color going for it too for some reason, although the lens is soft in the corners.

Can't have everything I guess.
2017-8-8
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
United States

Made my sensor correction filters for the X5S magenta error.  Camera shop had some old and unsold 46mm filter I got for free with the screw-out retainer.  I cut out the CC 05 Green for it, and another for the two balance rings DJI uses for the Olympus 45mm lens where I separated them and put a filter in between the balance rings.

There are some filters in the eBay store for $10:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kodak-4-x-4-in-100mm-Color-Compensating-CC05G-Wratten-Gel-Filter-/162590232054?epid=78794282&hash=item25db220df6:g:lxEAAOSwmNlZZ-6g

Fwiw, the RGB print values show a drop of 10 points Red and the Green goes up 10 points from the gray card which is RGB= 118, 118, 118.

X5S Correction filters.

X5S Correction filters.
2017-8-8
Use props
Barry Goyette
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Don't know about nikon...but with RED, while technically you have a tint control on the camera, it's really just metadata, meaning the actual correction is being handled in post. As for the benefits of pre filtering the image as you've suggested, I'm not sure there is any benefit to "cutting wavelengths" (filters don't shift colors, they remove them) prior to exposure compared to adjusting the gain on a particular channel in post. One may give you slightly more noise, while the other will give you less saturation. If you're shooting H264, this may be the way to go, but with ProRes or Raw, I'd probably just make the correction in post, as the 10bit 12bit workflows are more that adequate for this type of small correction.

Additionally....I find that there's a certain amount of inconsistency to the amount of red I see in my images. Not sure how much is related to the ND filters I use (firecrest --which seem to cancel out a little red), or the ambient temperature. I'd love to see your results with your home-made filters...but I'm a little concerned about stacking a gel with a ND in terms of sharpness and flare, and of course, those old wrattens were meant to be handled with kid gloves...:-)
2017-8-9
Use props
DJI_camera
lvl.2

Hong Kong

We have testing several x5s sets after receiving your feedback,  and found that this issue happened by chance. we have taken actions to improve it and will be fixed at next FW.
2017-8-10
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
United States

charlesetischer Posted at 2017-8-10 04:03
We have testing several x5s sets after receiving your feedback,  and found that this issue happened by chance. we have taken actions to improve it and will be fixed at next FW.

Thanks Charles!  Good to see DJI is working on it.

It will be nice to take off the green filter when shooting in manual white balance.  Least with it on, it made color grading easier and faster, but for any straight-out-of-the-camera work it was a pain to do it without a lot of editing and color grading.  I noticed the DaVinci Resolve 14 ColorChecker chart even posted lower error percentages with the filter on too, and its Vectorscope looked far better and centered as well with the gray.

Thanks again for addressing it in the next firmware.  
2017-8-10
Use props
Barry Goyette
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Not sure "Charles" works for DJI, but that was a perfectly worded DJI Mod response.. :-)
2017-8-12
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
United States

Barry Goyette Posted at 2017-8-12 13:50
Not sure "Charles" works for DJI, but that was a perfectly worded DJI Mod response.. :-)

We can only hope he is with DJI, and that they are finally addressing the bad X-series camera magenta tint Manual WB matter now running for two years.

This DJI X-series camera magenta tint issue first appeared on the forum way back in December of 2015 and it is still present to this day from this old thread I found yesterday:  http://forum.dji.com/thread-38255-1-1.html

I found the stock DJI lens seems a bit more warmer tint than the Olympus 45mm and needed more green to correct it too.  Went to a CC10Green and it looks a lot better.  The Olympus 45mm is better and a CC05 Green seems to suit it, although if one were made in a CC 075 Green it may even better.  Image below shows the 36mm filter which has the 05 Green in it, and the larger 46mm on the left has the stronger 10 Green filter.

I made a template to cut two sizes out of the edge of the Wratten 75mm (3") one which will give one a 35.5mm diameter for fitting between the two 36mm balance rings for the 45mm Olympus lens, and the 45mm one fits in an old 46mm filter holder for the stock 15mm lens.  Larger 95mm outer template ring was for some "Fiskars Circle Cutter" to center it for the cut, although one could cut them out by hand in small snips (Leave the gel in the tissue wrapper!).

As said, "Garbage in makes for a lot of edit time going out."

CC Green filters for X5S.

CC Green filters for X5S.
2017-8-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Barry Goyette Posted at 2017-8-12 13:50

Barry, Charles is our R&D engineers and that is our official response.
Our engineers are working on it and please wait patiently for the future update.
2017-8-17
Use props
office.motionmanager
lvl.1
  • >>>
Austria

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-17 22:52
Barry, Charles is our R&D engineers and that is our official response.
Our engineers are working on it and please wait patiently for the future update.

any update - I am still having a strong magenta shift!
2018-6-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

office.motionmanager Posted at 2018-6-1 00:48
any update - I am still having a strong magenta shift!

May I have your current firmware version? Any chance to provide us the original footage for further check?
2018-6-4
Use props
ScooterC5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 435052 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-6-4 02:21
May I have your current firmware version? Any chance to provide us the original footage for further check?

This issue has never been resolved btw... Magenta shift still present with X5S and current .0500 firmware
2020-10-23
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

ScooterC5 Posted at 10-23 14:54
This issue has never been resolved btw... Magenta shift still present with X5S and current .0500 firmware

... and never will be resolved. The best you can do is to slide Green/Magenta -7 in post ...
2020-10-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules