Firmware update kills range, but DJI refuses to address the problem
8151 66 2017-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Harryscopic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1422920 ft
Spain

To all those worried about interference, RF Explorer is handy device to check the airwaves before flying, and not all that expensive.
2017-8-16
Use props
Cymon66
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-10 01:05
No problem, I will keep you guys updated as son as possible, please leave us some time, thanks.

I'm really considering ditching my I-2 for the M201......   What was a great release.. (67 mph, great range , great potential)  has now turned into a highly "tuned down" Lemon !

Its like having a ferrari with only first & second gear available !     DJI have really screwed this bird up
Its so damn noisey too !!   Surely when they were Beta testing it, somebody noticed.....?   The props are a bodge job !

I literally hate all the New Inspire 2 upgrades, because its not the anticipation of what theyve fixed, but what they've ballsed up and inevitably taken away !
2017-8-16
Use props
nazar404.yahoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394291 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cymon66 Posted at 2017-8-16 11:18
I'm really considering ditching my I-2 for the M201......   What was a great release.. (67 mph, great range , great potential)  has now turned into a highly "tuned down" Lemon !

Its like having a ferrari with only first & second gear available !     DJI have really screwed this bird up

DJI MINDY

Any word from the engineers at R & D ?  Still can t fly my Inspire 2.

Firmware roll back would be fine for the time being , Really getting tired of Begging to fly my 10K investment .

2017-8-17
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

nazar404.yahoo Posted at 2017-8-17 05:16
DJI MINDY

Any word from the engineers at R & D ?  Still can t fly my Inspire 2.

Firmware rollback would be a lifesaver!

An app rollback for iOS would be wonderful as well ...

We really need something. Please.
2017-8-17
Use props
nazar404.yahoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394291 ft
  • >>>
United States

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-8-17 06:05
Firmware rollback would be a lifesaver!

An app rollback for iOS would be wonderful as well ...

As you can see DJI is not replying !!!
2017-8-17
Use props
Dinos6
lvl.2

Russia

Third day of testing - changing Master and Slave RC between each other helped to avoid constant disconnections.
2017-8-17
Use props
Salty777
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117077 ft
Malaysia

Just to add.... I flashed up my Inspire 1 for the first time in a while, did all the updates (firmware, controller and app) and found I was getting this "strong interference, fly with caution" warning when less than 2m from it, in a room where I always check it out, update it etc. etc. It's never given me that warning before, yet nothing's changed in here. Haven't flown it yet as I'm waiting for a dry spell!!

Also found the map was greyed out in the app, but followed advice from this forum, deleted the app and re-installed and it seems OK now (the map.... still getting the interference warning)
2017-8-17
Use props
snath
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5045295 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-8 02:04
Thanks for your information, Dan, the problem has been reported to our R&D engineers for further analysis.
Sorry for the trouble that has been caused. I will come back to you once there is any update, appreciate your patience.

DJI-Mindy

Is there a known issue relating to flight restriction on distance? I have seen quite a few threads and don't recall anyone chiming in from the DJI team (may have missed it). Can you create a separate thread at the top to let everyone know what's happening?
2017-8-19
Use props
DALLASFREAK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1074957 ft
United States

Rob W Posted at 2017-8-5 21:12
@DJI,

You should check with your developers. They should be able to easily pinpoint the code changes between releases. There should also be documentation if there was a change plan of functions that could have caused the reported issues.

I agree !!! it cost a arm and a leg to send your bird in....plus the 65.00 hr fee .....for a firmware issue ....come on DJI .....help the supporters out PLEASE
2017-8-20
Use props
DALLASFREAK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1074957 ft
United States

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-8-7 16:06
For our Inspire 2 (and RC) with the recent firmware, we actually have far less reliable controls and connection to the RC than for the HD video feed.  We don't get any error messages, but the decrease in capability is quite noticeable.

But also, one of the neighbors posted in a community forum about how everyone should buy signal jammers to keep people from flying drones.  As far as I know, it's a federal offense to use a signal jammer.  And there's at least 4 people in my local neighborhood that fly regularly.  Everyone just thinks they are sitting there staring into people's bedroom windows and getting angry.  Completely unrealistic and unjustified accusations ... But they have been sharing links for signal jammers.  Who knows though.

THIS IS TRUE.....if you don't own a drone it must be spying on me.....really to get that low it would be a flying weed eater............IT seems everyone wants to complain about something
2017-8-20
Use props
3VP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 165945 ft
Canada

Camera interference, weak signal, pixelated image - all since the latest update. Well done DJI.
2017-9-16
Use props
fanse186c04e
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26170253 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ok when DJI will not do anyting, do this, works great!

2017-9-17
Use props
Ale Reynoso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3228383 ft
Argentina

fanse186c04e Posted at 2017-9-17 04:03
Ok when DJI will not do anyting, do this, works great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTpYaBQ6scE

Could not do it with Yosemite 10.10.5
Could you?
2017-9-17
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

To be fair, at least two of us complained about range issues last year but on an Inspire 1. After extensive testing, I found that there was a problem with the contact between the aircraft and the camera/gimbal through the cable. I replaced the cable and the problem did not recur.

With the Inspire 2, there are lots of professionals flying this rig so if it were a significant problem, DJI would be fixing it.

The light bridge 2 technology used on the Inspire 2 and P4P seem to me less robust than the system used on the Mavic. However, with a parabolic reflector and clear skies, I get around 3.8km range at the lowest transmission bit rate without difficulties. There are days where there is WiFi traffic but you know when you are about 1km out that there is interference.

There MAY be something you don't know about the RF environment in your area. Overall, having ben their customer for some years now, I can say that DJI is not a company that is sitting on its butt where engineering goes.
2017-9-17
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

dancopter Posted at 2017-8-5 02:47
Not sure if it's related, but the last P4P update killed the range too. I have two and both were affected.

Dji has a habit of tuning thing down thru updates, it happened a few years ago with the first inspire 1......
2017-9-17
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

roffen Posted at 2017-8-16 04:12
I would rather have a nice Ipad Pro than a Crystal Sky.  I do not want to have to deal with android issues

I use the new iPad pro 10.5 running ios 11 final beta, i think its about the best setup any UAV pilot could have. Ios 11 screen recording is very useful......
2017-9-17
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-9-17 08:25
To be fair, at least two of us complained about range issues last year but on an Inspire 1. After extensive testing, I found that there was a problem with the contact between the aircraft and the camera/gimbal through the cable. I replaced the cable and the problem did not recur.

With the Inspire 2, there are lots of professionals flying this rig so if it were a significant problem, DJI would be fixing it.

I'm with Mike.

I was really ticked off with this latest Inspire 2 firmware. That completely crippled my entire investment. But DJI is definitely working on this ... And I know for sure that it will be sorted out.

Engineering aside ... All of DJI's customers would really appreciate a formal acknowledgement. All of these people purchased the premier technology, and are all well capable of seeing the difference between firmware updates. To some, what was once an extension of their being has now become a clunky question mark. Very noticeable.

The inspire 2 is <censored> amazing, and it will be great to be back.
2017-9-17
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-9-17 13:23
I'm with Mike.

I was really ticked off with this latest Inspire 2 firmware. That completely crippled my entire investment. But DJI is definitely working on this ... And I know for sure that it will be sorted out.

Take a longer timeline view my friend.

I know someone in the finance world who has been to their HQ and he says they spend a ridiculous amount on R&D. Communications - yeah, that still needs work but at least the product is on the upward path.

Many of the gripes contained in these forums eventually get worked on but the one thing DJI will not do (and this I know from having burned some money in LB1) is to work on legacy issues if they don't think it makes business sense to do so.

Meanwhile enjoy  flying.
2017-9-17
Use props
ukaleq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1303780 ft
Germany

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-9-17 17:24

I know someone in the finance world who has been to their HQ and he says they spend a ridiculous amount on R&D. Communications - yeah, that still needs work but at least the product is on the upward path.

Many of the gripes contained in these forums eventually get worked on but the one thing DJI will not do (and this I know from having burned some money in LB1) is to work on legacy issues if they don't think it makes business sense to do so.  --> do you call legacy issues problems that occur on a drone that is less than 1 year old?
2017-9-18
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

nazar404.yahoo Posted at 2017-8-7 04:15
DJI  SUPPORT ,

WHY ARE YOU NOT CORRECTING THIS FIRMWARE ?

Usually you would refresh the software that would be the best way to go forward. Reset to factory settings can help out as well. It's done through the Assistant 2 Software. If you need more info in that way, please write back on this forum.
2017-9-18
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-9-17 17:24

Thanks Mike.

Yea, I get what you're saying. We have clients that refuse to upgrade to our latest web applications for certain reasons (for example, they only use Internet Explorer 11, which has Javascript issues) and those bugs or issues on past versions can't really be "revisited" since they choose to stay in the older releases.

But as far as addressing legitimate bugs in the latest releases ... That's very important. Hopefully future releases don't have the same disabling effect on our aircraft. Ours was grounded since updating in July. Very unfortunate. Nothing in their firmware release notes actually specified anything that could have contributed to the significant hit in performance and reliability.

Anyhow ... To the future!

Take care.
2017-9-18
Use props
pkendall
lvl.1
Flight distance : 346096 ft
United States

Any updates to this issue?  Aircraft disconnection happens between my I2 and my Cendence/Crystal Sky  and i'm afraid to fly it on another professional job.  It's disheartening to already have lost one airframe into the ocean due to LOS (flying with a patch antenna btw), then to see the new airframe lose video signal & issue an aircraft disconnected warning while only 100ft away, even while operating on an AMA certified RC field.
2019-1-15
Use props
JBSonic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 779019 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I also hope there is an update soon,  the last firmware releases have impacted range a lot. I think I can throw a stick further than the I2 can transmit a video feed back without cutting out.
2019-1-16
Use props
fans11ccf994
New

South Korea

info.jerrygladh Posted at 2017-8-7 12:01
How the heck can DJI release such crappy firmware!!??
Updated today and took my Inspire 1 x5r out for a job.
Cant get out of 30m altitude and 30m distance restrictions.

me too.

oem remote controller
2.4ghz signal is very poor. (range 100m)

5.8gh is much better(range 800m) then 2.4ghz.

cendence also very bad signal.
2021-6-21
Use props
Jamie Duke
New

United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-5 19:42
Dan and nazar404.yahoo, I understand how you feel, but this issue is not common and is hard to be analyzed by data analysis.
Is that possible to provide me the screenshot of HD interface and error message when you got strong interference? There must be some evidence or material for our engineer to analyze, sorry for the inconvenience caused.

The majority of the DJI user base is reporting the same issue it’s really bad PR not to acknowledge it as a firmware issue that needs addressing one way or another. My order for the mini 3 is likely to be cancelled unless it’s addressed
2022-5-22
Use props
Jamie Duke
New

United Kingdom

My mini 2 has gone from a pleasure to use to a paperweight. Returns to home when 225m away from home point well within line of sight. Never did before the latest firmware update

I have a mini 3 on order but that’s going to be cancelled unless they admit there is an issue and fix it
2022-5-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Jamie Duke Posted at 5-22 14:59
The majority of the DJI user base is reporting the same issue it’s really bad PR not to acknowledge it as a firmware issue that needs addressing one way or another. My order for the mini 3 is likely to be cancelled unless it’s addressed

Hi Jamie, we hope you can understand that we need to discuss this issue on a case-by-case basis. If you encounter any issue with your Mini 2, we will do our best to help accordingly. Please note that flight distance sometimes relates to the flight environment, we would suggest that you fly the drone in a wide and broad place with less interference. The trees/buildings between the drone and controller may cause interference. Also, the position of the antennas makes a great effort, please make sure the remote controller's antennas are pointed towards the aircraft.
2022-5-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules