3476 26 2017-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ZSAY
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7785 ft
Saudi Arabia

Hi,
I turn on Spark and successfully  connect to either iPhone or the Remote Controller. On the iPhone Wifi settings I can connect to either the phone or controller and is confirmed by a check mark next to Spark Wifi nameand can even enter its Wifi details on iPhone or controller.  HOWEVER, the Wifi icon on iphone (top left corner of phone) does not come up, only the 3G icon.  On DJI GO 4 I am able to "Enter Flight" and all the controls are available and can even see gimbal cam.  I of course did not fly it.  However, I did take off propellers and tested auto take-off and it unit does wind up (without the props so didn't actually take off).
I reset the Spark Wifi (both the "two beep" and "three been" procedure), but same thing. Veryb

Any assistance will truly be appreciated.
2017-8-4
Use props
jetto black
lvl.3
Flight distance : 202995 ft
United States

This is perfectly normal. On the iPhone, the wifi icon in the top status bar only shows up when the wifi is being used for internet access. Since the Spark is not connected to the internet, your phone is still using cellular for internet access.
2017-8-4
Use props
ZSAY
lvl.2
Saudi Arabia

jetto black Posted at 2017-8-4 15:53
This is perfectly normal. On the iPhone, the wifi icon in the top status bar only shows up when the wifi is being used for internet access. Since the Spark is not connected to the internet, your phone is still using cellular for internet access.

Thanks for your input, but then how is the IPhone connected to the Spark if not via Wifi?
Also, on all the tutorial videos shown how to link/connect, the Wifi icon is ALWAYS showing in the videos.
2017-8-4
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

Is not supported officially but you can get an OTG cable n connect directly to the RC from your phone.
2017-8-4
Use props
ZSAY
lvl.2
Saudi Arabia

eylneb Posted at 2017-8-4 16:17
Is not supported officially but you can get an OTG cable n connect directly to the RC from your phone.

And if I want to just use the iPhone?
2017-8-4
Use props
jetto black
lvl.3
United States

ZSAY Posted at 2017-8-4 16:14
Thanks for your input, but then how is the IPhone connected to the Spark if not via Wifi?
Also, on all the tutorial videos shown how to link/connect, the Wifi icon is ALWAYS showing in the videos.

It is connected by WiFi, but like I said, the iPhone only displays the WiFi icon in the status bar when the WiFi is connected AND WiFi is being used for internet access. To see the WiFi connection status you can go to Settings > WiFi and it should show as connected to the Spark.
2017-8-4
Use props
ZSAY
lvl.2
Saudi Arabia

jetto black Posted at 2017-8-4 16:38
It is connected by WiFi, but like I said, the iPhone only displays the WiFi icon in the status bar when the WiFi is connected AND WiFi is being used for internet access. To see the WiFi connection status you can go to Settings > WiFi and it should show as connected to the Spark.

Sorry to harp on this, but then why do all the video tutorials show the Wifi icon? Not one one single tutorial does not show the Wifi icon.  Also, if I put iiPhone in Flight mode and turn on Wifi the Spark still connects but also does not show Wifi icon.
2017-8-4
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

ZSAY Posted at 2017-8-4 16:27
And if I want to just use the iPhone?

Is ok it will show your 3g,4g, etc if you have wifi assist enabled. You can disable wifi assist in ios settings. that should just show the wifi icon.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205296
2017-8-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

As jetto black mentioned, this is normal because the iPhone connects to a WiFi with no internet.
2017-8-4
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i think i understand his complaint.  the wifi icon at the top right side when connected to the spark via OTG is greyed out not showing you the signal quality/strength of the spark to RC with iOS, does the same with my iPad Mini 2.  it only shows the connection quality of the Spark and RC if the iOS device is also connected on wifi.. its a bit of a bummer, and a huge omission on DJi's part for OTG users on iOS.. please fix this as it is annoying not to know how good the signal is between spark and the RC..  plus its useful to know is that hiccup in video feed because im about to drop connection or is that hiccup in video feed something else i can ignore and avoid...kinda thing.. hard to tell without proper signal bars in the app telling us..

edt: definatly was wrong about the issue

2017-8-4
Use props
ZSAY
lvl.2
Saudi Arabia

eylneb Posted at 2017-8-4 16:41
Is ok it will show your 3g,4g, etc if you have wifi assist enabled. You can disable wifi assist in ios settings. that should just show the wifi icon.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205296

Thanks for your input,  but still same problem with or without Wifi Assist  (no WiFi icon). Just 3G icon
2017-8-5
Use props
ZSAY
lvl.2
Saudi Arabia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-4 18:36
As jetto black mentioned, this is normal because the iPhone connects to a WiFi with no internet.

Thor, thanks for your input.  But the issue is not regarding "no internet," the isssue is I'm not getting the Wifi icon on top left of iPhone meaning no Wifi connection, just 3G icon.
2017-8-5
Use props
ZSAY
lvl.2
Saudi Arabia

ZSAY Posted at 2017-8-5 00:24
Thor, thanks for your input.  But the issue is not regarding "no internet," the isssue is I'm not getting the Wifi icon on top left of iPhone meaning no Wifi connection, just 3G icon.

Note, on Wifi settings page of iPhone it is connected to Spark (or remote controller) and under the name in states in orange letters "No Internet Connection," but no Wifi icon in top left of iPhone. Every video tutorial I've seen has the icon.
2017-8-5
Use props
ZSAY
lvl.2
Saudi Arabia

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-4 20:26
i think i understand his complaint.  the wifi icon at the top right side when connected to the spark via OTG is greyed out not showing you the signal quality/strength of the spark to RC with iOS, does the same with my iPad Mini 2.  it only shows the connection quality of the Spark and RC if the iOS device is also connected on wifi.. its a bit of a bummer, and a huge omission on DJi's part for OTG users on iOS.. please fix this as it is annoying not to know how good the signal is between spark and the RC..  plus its useful to know is that hiccup in video feed because im about to drop connection or is that hiccup in video feed something else i can ignore and avoid...kinda thing.. hard to tell without proper signal bars in the app telling us..

Hi, the issue isn't with the Wifi icon on the DJI Go 4 app, the issue is the Wifi icon on iPhone.
2017-8-5
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ZSAY Posted at 2017-8-5 00:39
Hi, the issue isn't with the Wifi icon on the DJI Go 4 app, the issue is the Wifi icon on iPhone.

ya i just realized it  after re-reading it. had a long day now a sleepless night, thought i could get away with just skimming through quickly....     
my iPad mini 2 is connected via OTG and does not use cellular, and im not terribly familar with Ios lately been a couple years since i used iOS regularly.
2017-8-5
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

ZSAY Posted at 2017-8-5 00:35
Note, on Wifi settings page of iPhone it is connected to Spark (or remote controller) and under the name in states in orange letters "No Internet Connection," but no Wifi icon in top left of iPhone. Every video tutorial I've seen has the icon.

I understand your concern, if you can enter device can have the image transmission on the device, the connection is correct.
2017-8-6
Use props
ZSAY
lvl.2
Saudi Arabia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-6 02:05
I understand your concern, if you can enter device can have the image transmission on the device, the connection is correct.

Thor, thanks for your valuable input, but I'm really hesitant to fly it without the Wifi icon on th iPhone.  If the Wifi iPhone icon isn't on, and only 3G icon, how is it making a connection?
2017-8-7
Use props
Adam B
lvl.1
Flight distance : 171030 ft
  • >>>
United States

ZSAY Posted at 2017-8-7 10:19
Thor, thanks for your valuable input, but I'm really hesitant to fly it without the Wifi icon on th iPhone.  If the Wifi iPhone icon isn't on, and only 3G icon, how is it making a connection?

ZSAY, my guess is that the tutorial video screenshots of the iPhone were not real - just comped up (We do the same at my company with iOS screenshots). The reason that everyone has expressed - iOS only shows in the top bar where internet access is coming from (so people will know when they are using mobile data for internet access) - is not going to change. So, you probably want to get comfortable with not seeing the wifi logo up there and only seeing connection in Settings > WiFi.

Thanks, Adam
2017-8-7
Use props
ZSAY
lvl.2
Saudi Arabia

Adam B Posted at 2017-8-7 11:43
ZSAY, my guess is that the tutorial video screenshots of the iPhone were not real - just comped up (We do the same at my company with iOS screenshots). The reason that everyone has expressed - iOS only shows in the top bar where internet access is coming from (so people will know when they are using mobile data for internet access) - is not going to change. So, you probably want to get comfortable with not seeing the wifi logo up there and only seeing connection in Settings > WiFi.

Adam, thanks for your input. With my previous Spark the Wifi iPhone icon was visible.  Also, take a look at attached screen shot of wifi signal strength on DJI GO 4. Seems very week. Would you fly it with these figures?

Using 5.8G

Using 5.8G
2017-8-7
Use props
ZSAY
lvl.2
Saudi Arabia

And here's the unused 2.4G

2.4G

2.4G

2017-8-7
Use props
jetto black
lvl.3
United States

ZSAY Posted at 2017-8-7 12:24
Adam, thanks for your input. With my previous Spark the Wifi iPhone icon was visible.  Also, take a look at attached screen shot of wifi signal strength on DJI GO 4. Seems very week. Would you fly it with these figures?

Those graphs show noise, not signal strength.

Tall bar (red) = more noise = "Unstable" = bad.

Short bar (green) = less noise = "Stable" = good.
2017-8-7
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

No thats good wifi signal....u want it to to be closer to 100
2017-8-7
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ya thats noise or "other wifi networks you dont want's signal strength"  and you want it closer to  -100 for each of them that isn't blue, blue is what you are using..  dont pay too much attention to how weak the blue signal may appear, that isn't very well metered.   mostly wanting your signal to be as far away from other strong signals.

-100 means very weak signals playing zero influence.. -60 means it's very strong signal and will likely cause interference.
2017-8-7
Use props
ZSAY
lvl.2
Saudi Arabia

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-7 18:48
ya thats noise or "other wifi networks you dont want's signal strength"  and you want it closer to  -100 for each of them that isn't blue, blue is what you are using..  dont pay too much attention to how weak the blue signal may appear, that isn't very well metered.   mostly wanting your signal to be as far away from other strong signals.

-100 means very weak signals playing zero influence.. -60 means it's very strong signal and will likely cause interference.

Hi ImhereToCrash, so you are saying for the BLUE one in use, it should "short" bar and close to -100 (meaning almost no bar at all).
2017-8-8
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ZSAY Posted at 2017-8-8 01:30
Hi ImhereToCrash, so you are saying for the BLUE one in use, it should "short" bar and close to -100 (meaning almost no bar at all).

blue bar is one in use yes, dont pay attention to how strong that is or isn't.  that is not being metered correctly, mostly wanting to pay attention to other signals on the chart.. and avoid other signals.  try to pick a channel that is as far away from other channels with signals as possible.  

2017-8-8
Use props
ZSAY
lvl.2
Saudi Arabia

If I may go back to original issue of no Wifi icon on iPhone (only the 3G icon).
I noticed if I put iPhone in airplane mode I can connect to RC/Spark but no Wifi icon (next to airplane icon) on phone.  Very strange. Note, I have still not flown this Spark at all yet (a bit scared).
2017-8-8
Use props
fans03ee8d89
New

Hello, just wondering if this issue was ever resolved. I am experiencing the exact same problem and any suggestions are much appreciated as I am unable to update to the latest firmware since without that icon there but my iPhone settings shows it’s connected to the Spark.
2018-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules