1923 19 2017-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
squall74
lvl.1
Flight distance : 394600 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I am hoping someone could help me with the issue I am facing. I have contacted DJI support but their answers did not resolve the issue.
I can't seem to register home point to the controller after take off. I was flying in the park last week and filming my nephew while riding his scotter, we moved around in the park and lost sight of the drone. I set the home point to the controller and received confirmation home point has been updated. I did this 4 times and received confirmations, but the home point is not updated on the map. Everytime I clicked RTH, it flew back to the original home point.  I almost lost the drone as we were quite far from the original home point when the drown flew back to home point as the battery was running low.

I contacted DJI Support of the issue and this is their solution:
"To resolve the issue please attempt to fly on a different location with no interference away from buildings, trees, hills or magnetic interference".

I asked DJI Support why that was a solution, when clearly the issue was "Home Point was not registered even though I received confirmation that the home point has been updated" everytime I changed the home point in the application.

I then received their response:
In line with your concern, we suggest to refresh the firmware via DJI Assistant 2 and make sure to calibrate the Compass before flight.
*Please fly the drone between 7-10 meters then the drone can record some symbols of the Home Point. Also, please enable the Precision Landing on DJI GO app. If you have done these, the drone can land precisely.

The responses seem scripted and I started to doubt if the technical support did check my flight records to understand the issue as I always do compass calibration before I fly the drone and it was clearly more than 7-10 meters away from the original home point.

I followed their instruction and refreshed the firmware on both drone and controller. Flew again today hoping that it would resolve the issue but nothing change.  

Has anyone experience the same situation? Is this a fault with the device?  Any advice is very much appreciated.

DJI Support: I would also appreciate if someone from your team with strong Technical Knowlege to look into this matter. I almost lost my drone and do not want this happen again.

Thank you.

mavic.jpg
2017-8-4
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

It is possible that at the time the home point was recorded, you were LOS of the Mavic. The fact that you received the warning that it could not track the subject may indicate that you were no longer LOS of the Mavic so the only home point was the original one.
I would suggest going into a more open area and try it again but not too far away. Just move about 50 mts from the original home point, set the controller as the new home point and then test the RTH and see what it does.
2017-8-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sincerely sorry for this case, just to verify, what mobile device are you using? The Homepoint of the current RC's position is based on the GPS position of your mobile device. If your mobile device does not support GPS function or the app's GPS is not available, the home point would not be recorded to the current RC position. Please check the info, is your device support GPS positioning and does the GPS function allow with DJI GO 4 app. If you had checked that info and the problem still exists, please export your flight data of the drone, upload it to Dropbox, and sync your flight record for us,  we would love to check more about this. Thanks.

2017-8-5
Use props
squall74
lvl.1
  • >>>
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-8-4 22:11
It is possible that at the time the home point was recorded, you were LOS of the Mavic. The fact that you received the warning that it could not track the subject may indicate that you were no longer LOS of the Mavic so the only home point was the original one.
I would suggest going into a more open area and try it again but not too far away. Just move about 50 mts from the original home point, set the controller as the new home point and then test the RTH and see what it does.

I did another test yesterday and moved about 10 meters from the original point, but still not recorded.
Here's the log for yesterday flight.
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/BT618NEN75ZR7CYDS2N5/#
At 11m16 it recorded new home point, but when I clicked registered, the drone flew back to its original home point.

2017-8-5
Use props
squall74
lvl.1
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-5 01:27
Sincerely sorry for this case, just to verify, what mobile device are you using? The Homepoint of the current RC's position is based on the GPS position of your mobile device. If your mobile device does not support GPS function or the app's GPS is not available, the home point would not be recorded to the current RC position. Please check the info, is your device support GPS positioning and does the GPS function allow with DJI GO 4 app. If you had checked that info and the problem still exists, please export your flight data of the drone, upload it to Dropbox, and sync your flight record for us,  we would love to check more about this. Thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMb1RD5pPOg&t=1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reRVldRx9Rk&index=8&list=PL8-vxWY64sBNLusG0MvxD4Dm-tX4cnvzX

hi Thor, I used iPhone 6plus and I believe it has GPS function.
Here's the logs for you to review:
Incident Log:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/OWHCLQPYJ8B2JFAP55YG/
You will see there were 4 attempts to change the home point to RC.

Yesterday's log (testing) after refresh the firmware:
I changed the home point at 11m16 - but when I clicked RTH  the drone flew back to its original point.
2017-8-5
Use props
squall74
lvl.1
  • >>>
Australia

squall74 Posted at 2017-8-5 18:34
hi Thor, I used iPhone 6plus and I believe it has GPS function.
Here's the logs for you to review:
Incident Log:

Hi Thor, I have sent you the link of the flight record via dropbox.
Look forward to hearing your response. Thank you.
2017-8-5
Use props
Jeff7577
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

IMG_0044.PNG
2017-8-5
Use props
squall74
lvl.1
  • >>>
Australia

yep, its on for DJI GO 4
2017-8-5
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

squall74 Posted at 2017-8-5 18:34
I did another test yesterday and moved about 10 meters from the original point, but still not recorded.
Here's the log for yesterday flight.

Honestly, there is nothing in that log file that shows the home point not being set to the RC.
You are saying that setting the home point to the RC is not working but you have done nothing to prove that. The log file just tells me that the aircraft is working properly according to the instructions you have given it.
If you really want to prove that there is a problem then you need to do a proper test.
Take off from a set location with the home point being recorded. Fly the aircraft 50 meters away in a direction where there are no obstacles and you can clearly still see the aircraft. Walk with the RC in the opposite direction to the aircraft for 50 meters. Stay there and don't move.  Set the RC as the home point. Then conduct a RTH and see if the aircraft returns to the RC or where it took off.
Just do something simple like that and don't fartass around with active track or starting/cancelling any other flight mode.
2017-8-5
Use props
squall74
lvl.1
  • >>>
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-8-5 22:12
Honestly, there is nothing in that log file that shows the home point not being set to the RC.
You are saying that setting the home point to the RC is not working but you have done nothing to prove that. The log file just tells me that the aircraft is working properly according to the instructions you have given it.
If you really want to prove that there is a problem then you need to do a proper test.

Mate, the issue here is whilst I can set home point to RC (and received confirmation new home point is updated - also shown in the log at 11m16 and 14m5.3) - it did not register as a new home point. So when I clicked RTH it flew back to the original home point where I took off .  Someone from Mavic Pilot also commented that the log shows the home point being set in the wrong location. I am only here seeking help.
2017-8-6
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

squall74 Posted at 2017-8-6 03:48
Mate, the issue here is whilst I can set home point to RC (and received confirmation new home point is updated - also shown in the log at 11m16 and 14m5.3) - it did not register as a new home point. So when I clicked RTH it flew back to the original home point where I took off .  Someone from Mavic Pilot also commented that the log shows the home point being set in the wrong location. I am only here seeking help.
[view_image]

I know that you are looking for help but this particular flight is not a good example of your problem. It does nothing to prove that there is anything wrong with your aircraft because there are just too many things going on. You were in Active Track with some errors,  you instigated RTHs where the aircraft had to avoid obstacles and you are flying in an area fraught with difficulties. Just too much going on to categorically state you have an issue.
Why not just keep it simple and try the example I suggested which will prove one way or the other that there is an issue.
2017-8-6
Use props
squall74
lvl.1
  • >>>
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-8-6 19:45
I know that you are looking for help but this particular flight is not a good example of your problem. It does nothing to prove that there is anything wrong with your aircraft because there are just too many things going on. You were in Active Track with some errors,  you instigated RTHs where the aircraft had to avoid obstacles and you are flying in an area fraught with difficulties. Just too much going on to categorically state you have an issue.
Why not just keep it simple and try the example I suggested which will prove one way or the other that there is an issue.

I will test with your suggestion on the weekend. I still do not understand why we need to limit without active track, etc. The device is designed with home point set to RC and I would expect it should work in any conditions.  This has occurred to me 6 times (4 times in the first flight log and 2 times in the second flight log).  DJI should step in and look into this matter as well.
2017-8-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

squall74 Posted at 2017-8-5 20:18

Yes, I had received your PM and forwarded this to our engineers, I'll reply you once I heard from them. Please wait patiently.
2017-8-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

And I had also informed the designated team to take care of your email soon. Sorry for the difficulties, hope we can get it sorted quickly.
2017-8-7
Use props
squall74
lvl.1
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Thor - thank you
2017-8-7
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

squall74 Posted at 2017-8-7 03:04
I will test with your suggestion on the weekend. I still do not understand why we need to limit without active track, etc. The device is designed with home point set to RC and I would expect it should work in any conditions.  This has occurred to me 6 times (4 times in the first flight log and 2 times in the second flight log).  DJI should step in and look into this matter as well.

By testing the way I have suggested, it removes any other anomaly that could be happening with a flight mode. It is always best to just try one thing at a time.
2017-8-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Hi there, could you also please sync your flight records and PM me your DJI account? And the flight data provided above didn't contain the DAT. files which were also needed. Please help to export it out.
Besides, please kindly click the "Reply" button if you reply me so that I can get the reminder and can deal with it asap.
2017-8-8
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Haven't heard from you. Please sync your flight records or export them out, thank you so much.  
2017-8-15
Use props
squall74
lvl.1
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-15 01:16
Haven't heard from you. Please sync your flight records or export them out, thank you so much.

I have also spoken with the support team and will be sending the aircraft back to DJI.
2017-8-22
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

squall74 Posted at 2017-8-22 03:02
I have also spoken with the support team and will be sending the aircraft back to DJI.

Alright. Thanks for your feedback. We will do our best to help this out. Thanks for your patience.
2017-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules